Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  19:28:09  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frnck blck

We did consider putting them all into one package, but that seems A) too long and B) financially challenging. The good news is that I imagine that they'll be offered at special prices, although that is sorta out of my control. Man. I wonder what the labels are gonna say when I ask 'em to do another simultaneous release. They're gonna be pissed. At least the old band is getting back together and that'll give 'em a little something to take advantage of.

What kind of distribution are you hoping for? In stores? Available through SpinArt's website? Internet download only? I believe Oddballs was supposed to only be available via a website (correct?), but I did find copies of it at my local record store...

-=Apesy
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  20:12:03  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

We could do a boxed set of only botched Sister Isabelle. I think that was first attempted during Teenager Of The Year. We have beat that one into a pulp. Never seem to get a good one, although if I remember correctly the John Peel version with Teenage Fan Club is probably pretty good. Hven't heard it for a while. It sure is hard doing covers. But fun. Even when they're butchered.

And how many people on this site would buy it too.

"Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard"
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  20:57:13  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank, the compiled list looks damn good. Release it soon.

------------------------
The blue pill opens your eyes
Is there a better way?
A new religion prescribed to those without the faith
Go to Top of Page

frankblackphx
= Cult of Ray =

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  20:57:18  Show Profile  Visit frankblackphx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is so incredible that you get on here and communicate with your fans. It means so much to us. Thank you.

That's great news Frank. I already own every song but two but I would still buy them both on their first day of release anyway (as well as a box set of Sister Isabelle). :)

The title of "One more road for the hit" has the sound of maybe the last Catholic release. A swan song. Does anyone else sense that?

Dan

I got me so down I got me a headache.

Edited by - frankblackphx on 02/20/2004 18:57:43
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  21:50:20  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I sense a swan song as well. It seems like releasing all these B-Sides could be a way to close the door on the Catholics era of Frank Black; way to tie up loose ends. Even if he isn't planning on it now, this could make it easier for him move on in the future. Interesting...

I'm psyched about all the simultaneous releases. I'll have to pace myself...

"Join the Cult of Frank / or The Clops gets it!"
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  22:17:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually wouldn't want to buy a box set of Sister Isabelle...

But I would buy a box set of all the recorded acoustic performances by Frank. It sucks having to deal with a low-quality MP3 of Frank singing "Duke of Earl."

Join the Cult of Cult
Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  23:43:07  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
man hes right, the john peel version of sister isabelle is great!

-miked
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  01:07:43  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't want this compilation if it's the last thing we hear from the Catholics. Apart from that, everything looks excellent.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

ivandivel
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  01:22:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The New Bolero

The Kinks cover, Better Things, seems like an omission to me. That's one of my favorites.

i agree. better things is excellent. and there should have been a live version of announcement - if such exists. otherwise, a fine selection.
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  02:09:13  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply, Frank. You're the Cigare Volant of the rock scene. :)

I hope the Pixies reunion will bring enough money to allow you to record many other solo albums, which will win you the respect and the recognition you deserve as a free, untypical artist.

Btw - I agree with PC, your acoustic recordings should be compiled too...

"Welcome back to the 10th grade!"
Go to Top of Page

bedrock_barney
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
871 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  02:30:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
me likey.

It will neatly fill pretty much the only gap I have in my whole Fb/pixies collection.

Timescale for the releases?? Man, I'm anticipating major expenditure over the next few months - tour, dvd, Frank Black Francis and now this!! Better get some overtime in.

Looking forward to a satisfying 2004!! Keep up the good work Frank!

"The Pixies are reforming?? / I say bring back Abba, ahaaa!!!"
Go to Top of Page

cindy lou
- FB Fan -

141 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  02:33:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great news!
Go to Top of Page

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  02:56:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GOD! I can't believe I missed that thread entirely. Muchas gracias Yann for the heads up!!!

As for the tracklisting FB posted, my thoughts can be expressed in one word:

WHEN?????

--
'Great, now you don't have stupid skin on your body…'
Go to Top of Page

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  07:29:28  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think the Sister Isabelle from SSMVGD session is excellent! But then again, I would definitely buy the all-SI outtakes box set, so maybe I'm not to be listened to.

Alienation confers freedom. Obscurity will keep you pure. Pray that you won’t be discovered young, so that you won’t be tempted to sell out early, or won’t be seduced by celebrity.

--THE PATH OF THE ARTIST
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  08:14:51  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah, happy days for the Uber fans!

As long as we're all geeking out here, I sure would love to hear the SSMVGD version of His Kingly Cave in a format that's not a copy-of-a-copy-of-an MP3. I guess songs that have already been released in another form are out, yes? That version just kicks ass.

Also, it seems criminal to omit Sunny Sunday Mill Valley Groove Day--it's an excellent cover, and if it serves to introduce at least one more person to Doug Sahm, then it's worth putting on, right? You'd be performing a public service of sorts.

"Join the Cult of Derek/Lest you incur his Tubbycizing wrath"
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  08:46:30  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
agreed - the SSMVGD cover is perhaps my fav. of all the FB&the C's covers - and it got me into Sahm!

-brian

- "I joined the Cult of Frank / And they tried to cut off my nuts and make me put in a blue jumpsuit"
Go to Top of Page

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  09:13:03  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All of this sounds SPECTACULAR! As long as it's not internet download only.
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  09:35:32  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
The title of "One more road for the hit" has the sound of maybe the last Catholic release. A swan song. Does anyone else sense that?

Sheesh, you people are so paranoid! Can't ANYTHING happen without someone guessing it means the Catholics are breaking up? I mean, it's possible, but thinking this based on the title seems kind of ridiculous to me.

By the way, I'm definitely looking forward to this release. Many thanks to The Man for alerting us about it.

-Nathan
And how does lemur's skin reflect the sea?
http://vovat.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1995 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  09:50:53  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think the version of Sister Isabelle from SSMVGD is awesome and I seriously would buy a boxed set of only botched Sister Isabelle !

As for the end of the Catholics, I hope not but hasn't Frank said in an interview about 2 years ago that Scott was considering openning a restaurant and thus retiring from drumming ?
Go to Top of Page

Johnny Yen
= Cult of Ray =

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  10:28:33  Show Profile  Visit Johnny Yen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank,
Could both discs be in the same cd case please? I'm running outta room in my Frank Black section. C'mon, it worked for Outkast.

Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
944 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  11:18:51  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would buy a cd of S. Isabelle even though I don't like the song in the least. I'd also buy a cd with a 79 minute version of Pan American Highway. Bring it all on. The fanbase has high standards, and I don't think it's yet been undersold. Just like Morrissey's fanbase. There should be a duet album of Mozz and Frank making fart noises. Maybe a swan song...

"nie za volkot, volkot na vratot"
Go to Top of Page

mrgrieves1971
= Cult of Ray =

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  11:22:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Holiday Son

As for the end of the Catholics, I hope not but hasn't Frank said in an interview about 2 years ago that Scott was considering openning a restaurant and thus retiring from drumming ?

While it would suck to lose Scott, the Bosstones future isn't looking too bright and they could continue on with Joe S.
Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  12:00:59  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Any chance there may be a track from a Madison or Milwaukee gig on there???

Good luck in what looks to be a busy year.....

The Cult of Frank: Only 3g Of Carbs Per Serving..
Go to Top of Page

BrendanT
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
907 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  13:23:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing Frank. Thank you for the tidbits of info.
Just one more suggestion if I may?
I have heard that the Catholics were closing with Announcement on the European leg of a tour. Any chance of digging that one out and re-hashing it through the Catholics of today?

Strummer-man
I had me a vision!

It's step, hip, step, pivot! Are you trying to piss-off the volcano?!
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  16:41:50  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can always tell how good a band is by their b-sides, and our man Frank never fails to deliver the goods. You know an artist truly cares about his songs when he puts effort into producing b-sides that not many people will hear anyway, just creating them for the sake of creating them. I love a good b-side, and two collections of good b-sides are even better.
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  17:08:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, thanks for the great news Frank! I hope this all works out.

ˇViva los Católicos!
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  17:11:25  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Frank
This sounds great. I really wish I had the money and the time to seek out B-Sides and stuff, so this would be an excellent addition to my collection. Also I might be able to get it cheap off Bob @ CV!
Good luck for the tour and all, see you in June (don't worry, you don't have to see me!)
Simon

PS, I think Bob emailed you a copy of my dissertation... I hope you liked it!

"I joined the Cult Of Boni/Get Off My Trolley!"
Go to Top of Page

frankblackphx
= Cult of Ray =

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  19:04:59  Show Profile  Visit frankblackphx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I totally agree that SSMVGD is my favorite Catholics cover as well. Would be great if that was added on the Cover's disc.

Nathan, I wasn't being paranoid at all. The title just caught me by surprise. As long as Frank continues to put out material is all I care about regardless if it is with the Catholics, The Pixies, Solo or some new project is irrelevant to me. I know it will be quality.

Dan

I got me so down I got me a headache.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  00:32:05  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

They're gonna be pissed. At least the old band is getting back together and that'll give 'em a little something to take advantage of.

haha, this is actually a good joke
with some thruth in it
that's for sure

and what do you guys think of frank phrase that it has to be Catholics stuff and that it has to be live?
That rules out quite a few requested tracks!
Power Puff Girls song anyone? That was catholic and live?
and The Cigare Volant, is that the SSMVGD version or the Japanese Bonus track version? Or are they the same?

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  01:39:57  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yarbles

You can always tell how good a band is by their b-sides, and our man Frank never fails to deliver the goods. You know an artist truly cares about his songs when he puts effort into producing b-sides that not many people will hear anyway, just creating them for the sake of creating them.

I totally agree.

Btw, Frank must be a little crazy to release a masterpiece like Pan American Highway as a b-side. Many other artists would have made a single - and a hit - of it...

"Welcome back to the 10th grade!"

Edited by - Frog in the Sand on 02/21/2004 01:42:28
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  02:04:24  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah. Pan American Highway has to be one of my top five Frank songs. The arrangement seems so simple but it's so amazingly rich. It's awe inspiring, that song is. Makes me want to roadtrip the length of the Pan American Highway listening to nothing but Frank Black and Pixies songs. There'd be enough music to keep me going for a while without any repeats. Andybody with me?!

"And her head has no room."
Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  03:59:33  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
<snip>
The main thing to remember is that this is archival stuff that is for Uber fans only. It is mostly previously released material, although a lot of it is kinda hard to find. Heck, I had a hard time finding copies of the stuff on CD myself here in the abode. And digging the tapes out of storage was quite a scene. Boxes of tape falling out of the sky. It sounds really good in the van today, though. I dig the 3-piece vibe on Do Nothing, The Big Hurt, and Going Down. Sounds like rock music to me.

FB

lol! ahh, this is fantastic. *this* is why i'm a frank black fan. *this* is why this is my fave place on the internet.

has made my morning! love the sound of the compilation! especially valley of our hope!!!!

i salute you sir, for taking the time to keep us in the loop and taking on board our suggestions!

"Join the Cult of Orange Cat / the more the better!"
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  06:34:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman
and what do you guys think of frank phrase that it has to be Catholics stuff and that it has to be live?
That rules out quite a few requested tracks!
Power Puff Girls song anyone? That was catholic and live?

"Pray for the Girls" is included in the tracklist.

The Catholic + live requirement probably has to do with wanting some unity to the CDs. It's that band and it's how he wants his records to sound. Also, Frank Black is the sole copyright holder of the Catholic-era recordings. He can do what he wants with them without asking anyone for the right to put those tracks out. If it's a pre-1998 non-album recording and it didn't end up on Oddballs then Frank might not think enough of it to compile it.

And you people who interpret every move Frank makes as some subliminal announcement of retirement or the end of the Catholics are funny.

Edited by - Jason on 02/21/2004 09:07:12
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  13:31:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know most of these songs, but I love 'Pray For the Girls'.

'Took his plane to Columbia/So I could sell at my school"
Go to Top of Page

Valhalla
- FB Fan -

Germany
80 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  01:07:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frog in the Sand
Btw, Frank must be a little crazy to release a masterpiece like Pan American Highway as a b-side. Many other artists would have made a single - and a hit - of it...

Pan American Highway is a true masterpiece. I really love this song. I hope Frank and the C's will create a similar song in the future.

"You take the moon / I'll take the sun..."

Edited by - Valhalla on 02/22/2004 01:08:30
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000