New Modest Mouse album available for download
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2004 :  22:37:26  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Of course I'm going to buy the thing when it comes out, so shut up if that's all you have to say.

Anyway, up until now all you'd find in file sharing networks were either fake songs, live songs featured on the new album, or the single version of "Float On". A Seattle radio station played the whole thing through recently though, and someone has taped it and put it up on a website, no more than an hour ago at time of writing.

While it's not the best quality sound (it's the same as what you'd hear if you turned on the radio now), it's still fairly decent, and so far the songs from it sound pretty cool.

Don't know how long it will be up for, as the guy will probably have his bandwidth busted soon, if Sony don't force him to remove it.

http://www.freestructure.net/tip/modestmouse/media.php

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2004 :  22:40:22  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do you like Modest Mouse, Sheamus?
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2004 :  23:39:09  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes, why do you ask? Doesn't this thread indicate that?

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2004 :  23:42:56  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry, Sheamus; I was being dumb. I was just suprised that there were people on this forum who liked Modest Mouse, so I was making sure that they do have a respectable fan base.
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2004 :  23:58:06  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
"Good News for People Who Like Bad News" seems to be a bit like Modest Mouse's Tromple Le Monde. The direction is quite a deviation from their past stuff. Trompe Le Monde saw the Pixies head in a very different direction musicaly, and a lot less emphasis was placed upon their trademark "psychoticness" (Yes, Bossanova also might be a decent comparison, but I think Trompe was a more drastic change, more comparible to "Good News"). Likewise, in "Good News" a lot less emphasis is places on Modest Mouse trademarks that people have grown to love. There is a lot less of the fast paced weird tempo changing music prominant on "Lonesome Crowded West", and a lot less of of the long, dark, epical stuff prominant on "The Moon and Antactica".

In fact, a couple of songs on "Good News" sound more like Tom Waits than Modest Mouse (bear in mind that the rest of the album sounds nothing like these couple of exceptions), though most remain distinctly Modest Mouse sounding, albeit in a bit of a different way. So far I like the album, though it will take a bit of adjusting to. I have no idea whether I will ultimately like it as much as their other albums. Time will tell.

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2004 :  23:59:43  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
No worries.

I should also point out that so far I've only downloaded 10 of the 16 songs.

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  05:04:31  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IceCream

Sorry, Sheamus; I was being dumb. I was just suprised that there were people on this forum who liked Modest Mouse, so I was making sure that they do have a respectable fan base.

dude, i had a flaming modest mouse quote in my sig for ages not too long ago! i love modest mouse!

--
"Just let her go into the darkness, let her learn from all the things there, let her go into the darkness, let her go, let her go, let her go... <guitar solo>" - Mr. Jonathan Richman I salute you.
Go to Top of Page

TarTar
* Dog in the Sand *

1965 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  05:37:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Modest Mouse is one of those bands I don't quite understand people's fascination with, and I have a couple of their albums. Teeth Like Gods Shoeshine is an incredible song, and I really like Gravity Rides Everything. Really, I kinda like a lot of their songs, but I can't listen to them too much. It gets old real quick. I think it's their overall sound that I don't like, even though they have a lot of tempo changes and can change it up quite a bit, it always sounds REALLY Modest Mouse. I guess for people who really dig that sound, that's just fine, but it just gets old to me. I can't take them seriously as being a compelling listen, with the exception of Teeth Like..., which I consider their only real achievement beyond normal songs.

"You're muckin' with a G here!"

Edited by - TarTar on 02/15/2004 05:39:35
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  06:21:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never heard anything by Modest Mouse except the song on the Crime and Punishment soundtrack which I didn't like at all. So let me ask you all this, should I download this albu or should I wait and hear their other stuff before this?

ˇViva los Católicos!
Go to Top of Page

Owen
- FB Fan -

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  07:31:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Modest Mouse is certainly one of those bands that has a distinctive "sound". So I can see how there's either a love it or hate it response. Personally, I love it. I like the string-bending, loud/soft dynamics, variations on a theme approach, and the bass grooves. They've been one of my favorite bands since I first heard one of their songs on the radio.

They have tweaked their sound with each album. Starting with Long Drive as your home base, Lonesome is admittedly somewhat gimmicky, but each of the songs can stand on their own. The Moon and Antarctica is like a more mature Modest Mouse with a little more focus. The Everywhere EP sounds like it might be an omen of what's to come in the new album. Check out "Night on the Sun". This is a song that everyone should love, especially if you like "Teeth Like God's Shoeshine".
Go to Top of Page

Johnny Yen
= Cult of Ray =

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  19:06:31  Show Profile  Visit Johnny Yen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not gonna bother dling the album, but I've been diggin my promo copy of the FLoat On single. I bet some company is gonna put this one in a commercial.
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  23:47:08  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Don't get this album if you want to get into Modest Mouse. I'd recommend "Lonesome Crowded West", then "The Moon and Antarctica" and "Long Drive..."

After listening to "Good News for People Who Like Bad News" regularly last night and today, I have to say that overall I am quite dissapointed.

It's a step away from the Modest Mouse we know, and I don't think it's a particularly good step. While their past 3 albums have been like amazing spellbinding journeys, this one is disjointed and unfocused. It seems like they've just had a bunch of random songs that have been quickly cobbled together. The album doesn't feel like one amazing "experience" like the others. Rather than further innovate with their sound, a lot of the songs seem to head back towards a more conventional kind of rock sound. And it's not a particularly well done version of this sound. The first 6 tracks are fairly good, and it seems to be heading in a potentially great direction. All of a sudden though, you're hit with some random songs that sound like Tom Waits and some that sound like boring rock songs (and a couple of good ones). I like Tom Waits, but I don't like Modest Mouse trying to be Tom Waits. It's like they've written a third of a potentially great album, then got stuck and quickly cobbled together some songs to make up the rest.

Add to this some fairly poor production in comparison to their past albums, and what good songs are on the album suffer for it.

Conclusion: This album is unfocused, the songs are nowhere near as good as those found on past albums, and it also suffers from poor production. Experimentation in new things doesn't have to be a bad thing, this however, is an experiment gone wrong.

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  23:55:46  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
With that said, I am probably being a bit harsh because I hold the band to such high standards. Here are the (in my opinion) good songs:

World at Large
Float On (these two flow into each other really well)
The Ocean Breathes Salty
Bury Me With It
The View
The Good Times Are Killing Me

sultanbigpants
- FB Fan -

45 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  10:10:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the greatest thread of all time. I love all of you.
Go to Top of Page

mcmikey
= Cult of Ray =

799 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  10:13:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing you're a MM fan, sultan

a Spike Lee Joint
Go to Top of Page

sultanbigpants
- FB Fan -

45 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  10:14:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Modest Mouse is by far my favorite band. By far.

I wasn't disappointed with this album. It's very excellent. It's not as good as LCW or Moon but it's still cool. The thing that I find most striking is that I was able to actually stop listening to it after like 2 days. It's less deep, its less vivid but it's a lot of fun.

Maybe the problem for me was that I was already very familiar with some of the best songs (float on, black cadillacs, one chance, bury me with it) before I checked this out.
Go to Top of Page

mcmikey
= Cult of Ray =

799 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  10:30:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't heard any of it yet. when is this album being released?

a Spike Lee Joint
Go to Top of Page

sultanbigpants
- FB Fan -

45 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  12:40:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The official release date is April 4, I think. It says on www.modestmouse.com
Go to Top of Page

mcmikey
= Cult of Ray =

799 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  12:48:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
merci beaucoup

a Spike Lee Joint
Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  16:25:12  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
my only slight complaint about modest mouse is... their albums don't seem that 'strong' - i mean i make best of's, and they're great, but i struggle to listen through a whole album, there always seems to be a few tracks that seem a bit lame or don't seem to fit?

the antartica album is probably my fave though.

--
"Just let her go into the darkness, let her learn from all the things there, let her go into the darkness, let her go, let her go, let her go... <guitar solo>" - Mr. Jonathan Richman I salute you.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2004 :  10:40:24  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, this album is very different...much less melodic...and borrows from other 'genres' of music much more obviously..

This isn't an instant love for me, like his previous albums..not bad by any means tho.

Funny that this is from a radio recording..hahaha..who would have predicted that. =)

Join the Cult of the Flying Pigxies - I'm A Believer!
Go to Top of Page

mcmikey
= Cult of Ray =

799 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2004 :  11:12:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"his" previous albums? modest mouse is a band, ya know

a Spike Lee Joint
Go to Top of Page

EdBudd
- FB Fan -

63 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2004 :  13:57:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Yen

Not gonna bother dling the album, but I've been diggin my promo copy of the FLoat On single. I bet some company is gonna put this one in a commercial.

All:

See this. Needless to say I am now driving a Nissan minivan, and I'm not even a mom!
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5522
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2004 :  15:43:22  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
In reflection, it's really not THAT bad an album. I went a little overboard on the criticism. I still rate it as plain old "goodish". This however, is still fairly dissapointing considering I rate every other Modest Mouse album as "spectacularly, amazingly, spellbindingly, epically, earth smashingly brilliant".

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2004 :  17:38:44  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're right Mike, my bad. I'd thought the band had changed a line-up a number of times, but i'm mixing them with Doug Martsch and Built to Spill.

Go to Top of Page

GypsyDeath
Zapped Profile

3575 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2004 :  18:39:37  Show Profile  Visit GypsyDeath's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ive not heard much, but what I have heard, I like a lot.

Boys go to Jupiter, Get more stupider,
Girls go to Mars, Become rock stars

Wanna fuck and fight in the basement?
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  11:53:43  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After several listens i'm really starting to enjoy it now.

Go to Top of Page

lindsayno
- FB Fan -

Canada
50 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  15:03:47  Show Profile  Visit lindsayno's Homepage  Click to see lindsayno's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i love modest mouse. thanks for the link, but too bad it's not working at the moment.
Go to Top of Page

mcmikey
= Cult of Ray =

799 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  15:17:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we were meant to be together, lindsay.
I'll just go kill my girlfriend and bury her in the backyard so nobody will stand in the way of our happiness

a Spike Lee Joint
Go to Top of Page

lindsayno
- FB Fan -

Canada
50 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  15:30:19  Show Profile  Visit lindsayno's Homepage  Click to see lindsayno's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcmikey

we were meant to be together, lindsay.
I'll just go kill my girlfriend and bury her in the backyard so nobody will stand in the way of our happiness

a Spike Lee Joint

sounds like a plan. i'll go pack.
Go to Top of Page

sultanbigpants
- FB Fan -

45 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  13:12:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wait wait wait!

I don't have a girlfriend to kill.
Go to Top of Page

mcmikey
= Cult of Ray =

799 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  13:31:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sultanbigpants

Wait wait wait!

I don't have a girlfriend to kill.

ha! you should have done your research! Lindsay has a fetish for watching people murder.....you can't compete with me!

a Spike Lee Joint
Go to Top of Page

sultanbigpants
- FB Fan -

45 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  21:21:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got really really good Redwings tickets for Feb 29!

How's that? Better than killing someone?

She's Canadian; she's gotta have a hockey fetish.

Edited by - sultanbigpants on 02/20/2004 21:26:21
Go to Top of Page

blue cadet3
- FB Fan -

USA
146 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2004 :  08:34:20  Show Profile  Visit blue cadet3's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link but it is not up anymore. I think Modest Mouse has a great sound. Very Distinguishable! In fact, my user name is from one of there 7". I've only heard Float On and Bury me with it from the new album but those songs are great. I can't wait for this new album. Any one going to the Ridgela Theater to see them in Fort Worth, TX? If so, if you have a couple extra tickets I would be happy to buy them from you. I was a jackass and waited until payday to try and get the tickets and they were sold out. What a pisser! I think Modest Mouse is great but I can see how some people might not like them. Maybe Modest Mouse is an acquired taste. Consume the songs slowly and then you will soon be an addict.
Go to Top of Page

Johnny Yen
= Cult of Ray =

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2004 :  21:27:03  Show Profile  Visit Johnny Yen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Modest Mouse is definetly an acquired taste. I just started diggin most of their songs after hatin on most of em for a while. I liked Breakthrough, All Night DIner, Dramamine, Never Ending Math Equation, and that 3rd planet song but everything else seemed to be lacking. I sat down and gave the 3 albums i had a good listen after really diggin the Float On single (sounds like Mr. Lisp has been listening to the shins for the 1st melody segment, and the polyphonic spree for the general upbeatness of the track), and I'm likin what I'm hearin. I was bored to tears at a 2001 concert of theirs (taped it, it's around here somewhere...), so maybe that turned me off. WHo knows.... I'm avoiding working on a presentation due tommorow, so pardon the ramble.

Oh, i still don't like anything off that Fruit album which a coworker was kind enough to annoy me w/ earlier today. fucker. BUt all the others are good. Still, they kinda remind me of a Built TO Spill that doesn't really care about melody. I'll get over it. Maybe. Piss off.
Love,
Jonathan Yenderson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000