"The Grey Album"?! WHAT THE FUCK?!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  21:00:15  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040225/ap_en_mu/music_the_grey_album_4

By NEKESA MUMBI MOODY, AP Music Writer

NEW YORK - When DJ Dangermouse decided to combine raps from Jay-Z's "The Black Album" with music from the Beatles' legendary "White Album" to create "The Grey Album," he didn't have permission from either side to do it — and he didn't care.

"I intended for it to be for friends and for people who knew my stuff. I figured it would get passed around, and it would be this little underground thing, but it kind of took off on its own," said the music producer, born Brian Burton.

That's an understatement. Although he only pressed up a few thousand copies on CD, it has become a hotly traded album on the Web, sparking the consternation of the Beatles' parent label and an Internet protest in support of Dangermouse.

"This was not my intent to break copyright laws. It was my intent to make an art project," the Los Angeles-based producer told The Associated Press.

The ingenious album reconfigures the trippy Beatles rock to jibe with the Jay-Z's rough acapella raps. It's just the latest of countless unauthorized DJ mixes that have multiplied thanks to the power of the Internet.

"It's a complete deconstruction and reconstruction," says Dangermouse, who says he spent two weeks on the project.

Although Dangermouse says he created the "Grey Album" only for fans and friends, he did sell some copies to record stores and promote it on his Web site, www.djdangermouse.com.

Jay-Z's label, Roc-a-fella Records, didn't take any action against Dangermouse. While Damon Dash, head of Roc-a-fella, told The Associated Press that proper permission should have been obtained, he said, "I think it hot. It's the Beatles. It's two great legends together."

But EMI, which owns the Beatles recordings, sent Burton a cease-and-desist order. "The DJ did not ask permission at any time — never approached us," said Jeanne Meyer, senior vice president of corporate communications for EMI.

Not that Dangermouse could remove all the copies from the Internet, even if he wanted to.

The album's profile may have gotten even bigger Tuesday, when the music activism site downhillbattle.org urged fans to post the music on Web sites for a day to protest EMI's cease-and-desist order. Nicholas Reville, a co-founder of the site, says more than 150 sites have participated.

"What's going on is that EMI is censoring a work of art," he said. "Not only are they telling musicians the kind of music they can or cannot create, they're trying to tell the public what we can and cannot listen to. We think EMI's attempts to censor it and prevent the public from hearing it are a huge problem and we shouldn't allow that kind of corporate censorship."

However, Meyer said the issue was not about censorship, but copyright protection. She says EMI routine approves samples and remixed works (usually for a price).

"We're not against sampling, We're not against remixes, we've been really progressive in it," she said. "The work is unauthorized, and people who are hosting it or are streaming it are being advised to stop."

Burton, who has produced tracks for artists like the rapper Cee-Lo and released the album "Ghetto Pop Life" last year with artist Jemini on Lex Records, was not getting involved with the Internet protest. He says the real intent of creating the "Grey Album" wasn't to protest copyright laws, but to create a musical dialogue between fans.

"I'm getting people like high school teachers using it as a lecture," he says, adding that Beatles fans have become more appreciative of Jay-Z's work, and vice versa.

"Their kids are asking for Beatles records now. I wanted to kind of have that be passed on to other people, that such radical things can really work."

My God! WHAT A DISGRACE!! *gags* I never want to hear gorgeous Beatles songs infiltrated with some rap "lyrics". Just imagine: "Bang! Bang! Motherfuckin' ass got blown to fuck, motherfucker! Maxwell's bling-bling hammer came down on dat bitches' head. Bang! Bang! Latetia's bling-bling hammer made sure dat hoe wad dead, sheeeyat!"

*shudders*

www.angelfire.com/mo/frankblacktabs/images/rockandrollpower2.gif" border="0">"Join the Cult of Gunn / And Then You'll Be Destined to be a Rock and Roll Star of Epical Proportions!"

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  21:21:19  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hahahha! I dunno, when you put it like that, Crouton, it kinda sounds like a T Model Ford song.

I wish I could appreciate where Dangermouse was going with this, but it's really thinly veiled marketing strategy in the guise of an innocent artistic effort. Yeah, hip DJ with a "novel" idea and some cojones, stickin' it to the establishment by ignoring it completely. David vs Goliath, only Goliath (Jay-Z) is in on the ad campaign. He's a sly businessman, I'll give him that. If it were real "street", ala Beastie Boys and Skinny Puppy -and numerous others in the days when this shit was all in a gray area- taking it for the art, not the hype, I'd actually maybe look for it and give it a spin. Fuckin corporate music factory marketing schmoes. Damn, but they always underestimate the audience, and too many meet their expectations. This smells like a Hot Topic store. peeeeyeeewwww

666 Dunkin' Donuts, a 20-inch veggie pizza from Gumby's, extra jalapenos on the side. And a case of Asahi Dry -
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  21:26:16  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, I'm uploading another Nirvana cover I recorded today to the FTP in the "Nate" folder, hehe! It's one of my favorite Nirvana songs and one of my favorite songs period: Aneurysm. The vocals were mixed in really silently, unfortunately. I'll have to mix it again tomorrow or something. Not tonight, haha. It should be uploaded in about 3 minutes. Thanks for all of the music you have put on there! Yay for homble music!

"Join the Cult of Gunn / And Then You'll Be Destined to be a Rock and Roll Star of Epical Proportions!"
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  21:31:39  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
<ahem!> Um... what music?

Have you listened to the dj Sosharp stuff (my younger brother trying his hand at makin music)? Cool about the new cover, I'll take a listen tomorrow am!

666 Dunkin' Donuts, a 20-inch veggie pizza from Gumby's, extra jalapenos on the side. And a case of Asahi Dry -
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  21:33:42  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hahahahaah, "dj Sosharp" bahahahaha, I'm sorry...but that must be one of the lamest names I've ever heard! It's brilliant! I haven't listened to it yet but I'll listen tomorrow am like you.

"Join the Cult of Gunn / And Then You'll Be Destined to be a Rock and Roll Star of Epical Proportions!"
Go to Top of Page

Johnny Yen
= Cult of Ray =

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  21:57:15  Show Profile  Visit Johnny Yen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Um, Alp I don't agree with your asses(s?)ment. I don't think people are rushing out to try and buy this album when you can get it for free everywhere, and I don't think it's gonna make people buy the BLack Album, and DangerMouse does a good job cuttin up the White Album, so it's really just segments strung together, not Jay-Z rapping over the whole song. It's fractured. It's not a masterpiece, but it's fun. It's not an original idea either, google plunderphonics (good stuff there, with some of the same legal issues at first i believe.). .
Also, for a long time people thought the Beastie Boys weren't true rappers, but products of the industry. It took a while for them to get legit cred in rap circles.
Anyway, if you wanna dl the Grey Album you can get it at www.illegal-art.org . 99 problems is good; Sort of socially conscious rap over chunks of helter skelter. All I can say is try it, you might like it. Anyway, it's just music. Stop being so cranky! Smooches for all.
-Johnny

Edited by - Johnny Yen on 02/25/2004 21:57:51
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  22:03:07  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
*glares* You enjoy mutilated Beatles songs? *shudders* To each their own, I guess.....

Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  22:05:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have three words for you Mr. Yen:

GO
TO
HADES

"I joined the Cult of Popeye / The CoF required my good eye"
Go to Top of Page

Johnny Yen
= Cult of Ray =

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  22:30:05  Show Profile  Visit Johnny Yen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have you listened to it yet? Do you like the Phil Spector version of Let It Be? That's mutilated Beatles songs. C'mon. The Beatles were good, but it was just fuckin' pop music! The Grey Album songs are really built more around Jay-Z. So if you're not into rap, you probably won't dig it.
Anyway, it's something like 25 degrees farenheitishmael(sp?), so if hades is any warmer, I'll take it.
Bring it!
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  22:30:41  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Yen

Um, Alp I don't agree with your asses(s?)ment. ..Stop being so cranky! Smooches for all.
-Johnny

I'm afraid your wise words have come too late. I am now and forever cranky. You make some good points, though, but I don't agree that this is not so novel an idea. I don't remember anyone making a rap splice with a Beatles album before, without permission, and then selling it. I still hold my marketing conspiracy theory dear, my conspiracy theories are all I have. I might just go ahead take a listen, so thanks for the link and smooches backacha, Mr. Yen! Gravy all 'round.

and c'mon people, I'm starting to get a complex, getting called "Alp" all the time. Alpo is stinky dog food, and the Alps are mountains. I 'spose you all could be insinuating I am a heap of stinky dog food?

Go to Top of Page

Johnny Yen
= Cult of Ray =

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  22:41:07  Show Profile  Visit Johnny Yen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do you really want us to type out alp4eris everytime? Ugh. I'm not into using the quote thing, so I have to refer to you somehow when I wanna rumble. How about A? or AE? no, that would just get me started on american eagle outfitters. shit.
I'm thinking about a big stinky heap of dog food, and getting really grossed out. yuck.
*back on topic* And in conclusion, the Grey Album is truly a piece of audio sonicitude. The ploompty ploomp of Pauls bass lines fit surprisingly well between the granny flab rhymes that are Jay-Z's supposed final statement. (i'm really tired, so please forgive the bullshiting).
Love,
Johnny(on the spot)
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  22:56:42  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
not at all! - apl is fine, Johnny.
hahahh you make me jello jumbly shake with laughter at your "granny flab rhymes". Goodness me! You may be tired, but you're pretty funny. "on the spot" hahahah

hahahahahahah! Oh! now look what I did...

Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3422 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2004 :  03:19:31  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
as an interesting aside:
http://www.waxy.org/archive/2004/02/11/danger_m.shtml

****WARNING**** This is for everybody that has downloaded and listened to Jay-Z "The Grey Album" put together by DJ Danger Mouse. After listenin' to this cd myself, I found it to be damn good untill I got to the disturbin' track 11 titled Interlude/Lucifer. If you have listened to this track yourself then you will know that it seems this track appears to be playin' backwards. Well I'm here to tell you that it is and it has a very well distrubin' subliminal message that it's sendin' out. If you have some form of mp3 program that can play songs in reverse on your computer then try it and listen to it yourself, I tried this out usin' Traktor DJ Studio 2. I loaded up the mp3 track 11 in the program and played it in reverse and this is what it started playin', it starts: 666...*disturbin' music plays with talkin' in the background*...I can introduce you to evil...*more music plays*...Murder, Murder Jesus, 666...*more music plays*...Leave niggas on Death's door...*more music plays*...Catholics I gotta murder them...*more music plays*...Murder, Murder Jesus, 666...*music comes to a end*. THIS IS NOT A JOKE PEOPLE!!!! If you have the tools to play mp3's in reverse then try it for yourself and listen. What I don't know is if DJ Danger Mouse added this subliminal message in himself, or if they were actual lyrics by Jay-Z, or something that came from samplings from The Beatles' "White Album." Again people, "THIS IS NOT A JOKE!!!!" I may be the very first person to have discovered this subliminal message in this track and the first to ever give you a warning upon listenin' to this rather disturbin' song. If the webmaster of this site will like to get in contact with me just respond to this message and I'll give you the info to get in contact with me. I will play this track for you personaly if you don't have any program that can play this track in reverse. After listenin' to this track then you will have to make a conscience decission to continue to provide links for this album. Now believe when I say I don't work for or do anything for the RIAA. This is just a warnin' that I'm sendin' out to everyone that is listenin' to this track or that has a child that has this track available to them. Be warned and remember the name. ~IcebergTruPlaya~
posted by IcebergTruPlaya on February 23, 2004 03:49 AM

...acjv..

"I joined the Cult of Frank / I think that man deserves a DB!"
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2004 :  07:49:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
whatever.

I've got the grey album and it is better than the white album. I haven't heard Jay Z's black album but I might have to check it out now.
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2004 :  09:43:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Yen

C'mon. The Beatles were good, but it was just fuckin' pop music!

Just pop music!? I suppose you think Britney Spears rivals FB too.

Edited by - realmeanmotorscutor on 02/26/2004 09:44:50
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2004 :  10:07:22  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh no! Oh no! Not the Beatles! Their shit doesn't smell! They're unntouchable! I wear rubber gloves when handling their CDs!

Give me a break. I bet you wouldn't complain if he had cut up The Magical Mystery Tour...

I haven't heard this yet, but if it inspires one hip hop fan to listen to the original White Album, it's a good thing.

"Join the Cult of Frank / or The Clops gets it!"
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2004 :  10:26:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what if it works the other way around, like it did with me?
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2004 :  10:32:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look, the Beatles have some not-so-good songs and certainly their early stuff is just pop music but it isn't right referring to the White Album as JUST pop music.

Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2004 :  10:38:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pop music can only defined as popular music, the beatles are/were certainly popular.
Go to Top of Page

ShakeyShake
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1058 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2004 :  12:52:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheCroutonFuton

Jay-Z's label, Roc-a-fella Records, didn't take any action against Dangermouse

Of course they bloody didn't

"I joined the Cult of Frank / 28:06:42:12"
Go to Top of Page