Page: of 4

worries have worries
- FB Fan -

France
54 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  13:56:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Noisy

WHW - if you think you can judge me as a 'Stalinist patriarch' from these two postings, then i have nothing further to say to you.

oooh. sensitive are we? i understand, stalinist is some heavy shit insult to me. funny how "selfrighteous" does not seem to bother you, but "stalinist" gets immediate answer! I like that.
Hey man, don't sulk, get even. I sure didn't want to hurt your feelings, i was just overreacting to your post. sometimes, i get carried away. then i feel stupid.
and i admire your selfcontrol. anyone calling me stalinist would get a 2 pages nuclear insult letter. see what happened to denis 'bad breath' vilain calling me stupid (stupid's nothing compared to stalinist).
Hope no hard feelings.

Warm regards.

AWOL for everything
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  14:37:25  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
wories have wories, calm down
everybody else (including me), calm down

this new record isn't a real frank black record
and shouldn't be judged as one I think (not saying anyone did in this topic). And I think it's great he fucked it up with out of space things, why would he do those songs again anyway? He better do something complete weird with it. And he seems to be a David Thomas fan (Pere Ubu too) so I'm thinking he likes it a lot. Maybe this won't be my favourite frank record, but I love the concept.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  20:31:22  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Spaceheads are wicked. Thank you Frank for bringing back the chaos. Can't wait to hear them.
Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2004 :  02:12:53  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theonecontender

The Spaceheads are wicked. Thank you Frank for bringing back the chaos. Can't wait to hear them.

who are the spaceheads? or should i read the rest of the thread? are they the pale boys or whatever?

--
"Love stops no war, stops no cancer, it stops my heart" - Hefner
Go to Top of Page

mattb
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
474 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2004 :  10:46:25  Show Profile  Visit mattb's Homepage  Click to see mattb's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So the Frank Black Francis album is the prepixies demos and new Frnak Black stuff together?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2004 :  11:12:08  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
not new exactly

pre-pixies
+
post-pixies

both pixies songs

Go to Top of Page

mattb
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
474 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2004 :  11:30:04  Show Profile  Visit mattb's Homepage  Click to see mattb's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

not new exactly

pre-pixies
+
post-pixies

both pixies songs

awesome, can't wait to get it. Thanks for clearing that up
Go to Top of Page

valine
- FB Fan -

Ireland
5 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  04:38:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if anyone's interested, you can download an mp3 of frank singing 'Into The White' at http://members.ozemail.com.au/~thrashin/pixies/audio.htm
And for those of you who were at his solo gig in london last summer, don't worry, it's not the godawful,halfasleep version he played then, but an earlier,fantastically manic,version.it's been on that website for ages, i cant believe anyone could think kim wrote it, it's like a prototype frank song to me
Go to Top of Page

pants
- FB Fan -

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2004 :  11:16:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just found about 9 songs on soulseek, search for "frank black francis & two pale boys" and they should pop up. pretty weird stuff. not sure if i'm into it, but definitely check it out.
Go to Top of Page

dogjones
- FB Fan -

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2004 :  17:39:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ive been keeping my mouth shut on this whole thing, but i wanna run my mouth now since people seem to be chiming in. btw, im not on the inside, but when you hang out with a buncha people who's idea of fun is digging through vinyl bins in strange towns you're bound to run into demos and stuff of this nature.

some of it ive heard (only 10 tracks) is hit/miss with the quality, but if youre into that non-destructive lo-fi sound...some of it really shines. caribou, levitate me, into the white, and especially velouria were damn interesting. "where is my mind" would be there too if the vocals were not drowning in such a huge reverb in certain parts. i only heard it a couple times before we burned out on it for the day, but i dont recall hearing any continuous/traditional precussion driving any of the songs. its very spacious...lotta the rhythm sections are covered almost entirely by bass type sounds. frank's guitar is not the star of these recordings...his voice carries everything, the backing sounds themselves seem to be a shifting background of instrumentations/effects on most tracks.

that said...i dunno if what i heard could be considered a final master, and if it is...well, wow...some of it is a bit noisey and crisp on the high end. i just dont trust mp3s, though. even if its totally clean sounding, unless someone rips it correctly from a legit source there's a huge chance of highs coming out too crisp, noise, lows booming too much...i'll make up my mind when/if these tracks are released on a quality controled format.
Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2004 :  22:58:00  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bumblebeeboy2

quote:
Originally posted by theonecontender

who are the spaceheads? or should i read the rest of the thread? are they the pale boys or whatever?

--
"Love stops no war, stops no cancer, it stops my heart" - Hefner

Andy Diagram, who is one of the two pale boys, plays crazy looped trumpet for both this record and for the spaceheads. It is wicked shit:
http://www.epitonic.com/artists/spaceheads.html
Go to Top of Page

woodworm
- FB Fan -

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2004 :  13:30:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
downloading tracks is just my way of not getting ripped off
before i buy an album

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2004 :  14:15:59  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by woodworm

downloading tracks is just my way of not getting ripped off
before i buy an album

getting ripped off? I can only think about buying an album that doesn't play. That's what I called being ripped off.

Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2004 :  17:02:38  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the songs leaked are 10:

01. Monkey Gone to Heaven
02. Where is My Mind?
03. Caribou
04. Into the White
05. Wave of Mutilation
06. Nimrods Son
07. Velouria
08. Levitate Me
09. Cactus
10. Holiday Song

and IMHO it's collectionist stuff only.really really weird.nothing to do with pixies or frank black style.for example : "the holiday song" sounds like iggy pop's "in the death car".

join the cult of errol\and you can have a beer\without having to quit smoking
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2004 :  13:37:56  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I like it in advance, without even hearing it. How's that!

Go to Top of Page

MMD
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
233 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2004 :  14:13:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

getting ripped off? I can only think about buying an album that doesn't play. That's what I called being ripped off.

Well then you're a moron, sorry but you knew what he meant. How would you feel if you went and bought a full priced album full of white noise. Would you feel that it was a fair purchase? I'm betting you would feel ripped off unless you happen to like listeninng to white noise. woodworm here doesn't like listening to white noise, therefore a cd full of white noise is not worth £10 to him and therefore he was ripped off.

If the CD doesn't interest you and you don't like the music then why would you want to ever play the disc? The results are exactly the same as a CD that won't play.

Edit: Just managed to download Where Is My Mind and I actually quite like it, its very ambient though.

“Not since Orson Welles had one man so many fingers in so many pies, and been the chef as well. And then looked like he went and ate them all. The guy was out of control.”

Edited by - MMD on 03/01/2004 19:46:34
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  08:38:31  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MMD

quote:

Well then you're a moron, sorry but you knew what he meant. How would you feel if you went and bought a full priced album full of white noise. Would you feel that it was a fair purchase? I'm betting you would feel ripped off unless you happen to like listeninng to white noise. woodworm here doesn't like listening to white noise, therefore a cd full of white noise is not worth £10 to him and therefore he was ripped off.

If the CD doesn't interest you and you don't like the music then why would you want to ever play the disc? The results are exactly the same as a CD that won't play.

Edit: Just managed to download Where Is My Mind and I actually quite like it, its very ambient though.

“Not since Orson Welles had one man so many fingers in so many pies, and been the chef as well. And then looked like he went and ate them all. The guy was out of control.”

I'm sorry
I think white noise is the same as a cd that doesn't play.
what I meant was, and sorry for being unclear, a cd that has a factory disorder. I think you can never say you are ripped off when you buy a cd of an artist and you don't like the music. This is just my opinion.

downloading full length albums is like stealing a cd from a record store. It isn't something else, a song ok, two songs good. But dowloading the whole thing is wrong in my opinion. You can always listen to a record in a store if you want to make sure to buy a record. And there are one or two songs on the websites of the recordcompany's.

keep in mind:

Loudon Wainwright: It's ok the steal, because it's so nice to share.

regards,

Yop the moron

Go to Top of Page

George42
- FB Fan -

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  14:55:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
France sucks. WHW just confirmed that as far as i am concerned.
Go to Top of Page

dogjones
- FB Fan -

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  20:16:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
downloading 1 song is just as illegal as downloading the whole album...to draw a line in another person's morality is always open to debate, esp. where that line should be drawn.

once again...about these leaked tracks...i can only hope these are not finals cuz some of it is pretty nasty sounding and way too crisp on the high end, almost ear bleeding in some tracks. this could be the quality of the "master", a bad encode, or it may just be an early cut of the tracks. until a final comes out to compare it to or someone says "yeah, this is supposed to sound like this" im holding final opinion.
Go to Top of Page

DrWorm
- FB Fan -

81 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  07:56:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm sorry
I think white noise is the same as a cd that doesn't play.
what I meant was, and sorry for being unclear, a cd that has a factory disorder. I think you can never say you are ripped off when you buy a cd of an artist and you don't like the music. This is just my opinion.

downloading full length albums is like stealing a cd from a record store. It isn't something else, a song ok, two songs good. But dowloading the whole thing is wrong in my opinion. You can always listen to a record in a store if you want to make sure to buy a record. And there are one or two songs on the websites of the recordcompany's.

keep in mind:

Loudon Wainwright: It's ok the steal, because it's so nice to share.

regards,

Yop the moron

so it's OK to download one or two songs.. but not a whole album? so in your own theory its' ok to steal CD Singles from the store, as long as you dont take the whole thing? The only person who can critize anyone for downloading music, is the person who has never done it.

I download alot of music, mostly ftp trading. but i also have a huge store purchased CD collection. I just cant afford to buy every CD I like, as much as i would like to, especially when you like as many bands as me and want to get every import / single by that artist. Those imports can get real pricey. But I can tell you I have purchased 3 surfer rosa's =) damn those scratches to hell ! But there are alot of bands I would not be a fan of if it were not for mp3's.

"Mister, would you please help my pony? / I think it's his lung"
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  15:56:29  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
downloading full length albums is like stealing a cd from a record store.

Actually, from a legal perspective, it's quite different. One is a crime, and the other a copyright violation. Both illegal in many situations, yes, but hardly the same thing at all.

quote:
It isn't something else, a song ok, two songs good. But dowloading the whole thing is wrong in my opinion. You can always listen to a record in a store if you want to make sure to buy a record. And there are one or two songs on the websites of the recordcompany's.

Not always true. Plenty of stores don't let you listen to CDs at all, and some of the ones that do only let you listen to select ones (usually whatever they're pushing at the time), just certain tracks on an album, and/or just parts of songs. And not all record companies provide tracks from their artists' albums for free download, either, although I think it would be beneficial for everyone if they did.

Join the Culf of Buttoms / It's the Alerican way.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  02:28:37  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ok, so maybe, my last post wasn't so strong...hehe
but I do believe it's wrong to download an album
and as far as cd singles go: come on! I'm not talking about downloading
the latest britney spears single (which is btw, pretty good) but about downloading
1 or 2 tracks from an indieband. Don't get me wrong, it seems like the same thing, but it isn't.
If I'm not familiar with FB and I download headache, I'm not stealing a cd single. I know there was a headache single, but it isn't available anymore in the stores, and if it is, it's second handed, so FB won't make any money out of it anyway. This may seem like a stupid point, but look at it from this way: indiebands don't get any airplay, or videoplay on mtv. If people want to 'check' them out, they almost have to download something. But I reckon, that you should 'check' indiebands just the way major commercial bands are being promoted, by one or two songs. If you like it, go for the record, buy it, maybe the rest of the album sucks, but that's just a risk, and a risk that sometimes needs to be taken. Downloading full albums is in my view more illegal than one or two songs. But that could be me...

go on and bash this post!

Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  07:57:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
virtue has no scale
Go to Top of Page

MMD
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
233 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  12:12:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
billgoodman, (and indeed anyone else because it is interesting) if you have the time please read this : http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/02/01/file_trading_manifesto/ Very interesting argument in favour of file sharing written by a record executive.

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2004 :  03:18:51  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm not against file sharing, hell no

Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1462 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2004 :  11:43:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MMD

billgoodman, (and indeed anyone else because it is interesting) if you have the time please read this : http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/02/01/file_trading_manifesto/ Very interesting argument in favour of file sharing written by a record executive.

good article. i just listened to the fbf version of where is my mind? i thought it was super cool. can't wait to get the whole things when it comes out.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ and I got a free t-shirt with this dude on it."
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2004 :  19:34:09  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
i just listened to the fbf version of where is my mind? i thought it was super cool. can't wait to get the whole things when it comes out.

Speaking of which: Do we have a definite release date for this yet?

-=Apesy
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2004 :  00:00:56  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I read the article, too. Very good. I like that guy. Some of those big-wig fuckerheads in the record industry should listen to him.

"And her head has no room."
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2004 :  16:27:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prozacrat

.....big-wig fuckerheads..............

that's a good one! mind if use that?

"My upbringing gets me down"
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2004 :  20:00:21  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
great article.i'd bet 10 to 1 that they fired him for stating that stuff.anyway he has a great point in saying that the actual danger for cd sells are pirated cd's(material discs)and not file sharing.even after the file sharing boom i keep buying the same number of cd's if not more.the difference with p2p is that i try music that i would never buy and that i get a preview of albums to come.but since when i listen to new stuff and i like it i then buy the originals and the leaked albums are stuff that i would buy anyway i don't have moral issues whatsoever.same thing for films.i particularly like prince's point of view.he's terribly right in saying that it's the majors' fault that the music from art degraded to product and as such is treated by consumers.as a consumer i refuse to pay 24$ for a cd.as a fan i would pay double.so the riaa can only blame itself for failing to sell cds because instead of fans tries to create consumers.fans are faithfull to their idols consumers want convenience.and more convenient than free is impossible.
not to mention the fact that they change laws at will.copyrights were legal for 25-30 years after the release of the original and then should become free for public use but magically when disney's first films were about to become royalty-free the law changed.they are not even trying to play with their own terms so keep on file sharing.you do not harm anybody but some fat ass major consultant that will have to look for a new job.

join the cult of errol\and you can have a beer\without having to quit smoking
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2004 :  13:04:36  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There really isn't any way to prove one way or the other how file sharing has affected record sales. The RIAA seems to be looking for scapegoats, and then preying on easy targets. Slapping a lawsuit on some kid who downloaded some songs is bullying, plain and simple, whether the law is on their side or not.

Join the Culf of Buttoms / It's the Alerican way.
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1462 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2004 :  14:44:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so when can we start chatting it up about the songs? i don't know if i can wait till the release date. i may be in the minority but i love it! been listening to it over and over again for the past week. some of the tunes would be great music for a david lynch movie. frank's voice is sounding great- kind of freaky pixie like lounge music.

want to respect franks wishes if they are pissed off about a leak. any word of when the official release is?

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ and I got a free t-shirt with this dude on it."
Go to Top of Page

darkoutsider
= Cult of Ray =

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2004 :  18:51:45  Show Profile  Visit darkoutsider's Homepage  Click to see darkoutsider's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think you guy should just wait for a while longer. It's not new material just remixed/ demos of songs you've all heard before. What's so wrong with just waiting a while until the album is released it's not like it's a million years away, just a few months. You can be big kids and wait, can't you.

But I, for one, am for file sharing. Because music is art, and art should be shared. I'm pretty sure that after I make it in music my opinion on this will change. But we'll just have to wait and see.

I'd love to see inside your mind, to tear it all apart
To cut you open with a knife and find your sacred heart
I'd love to take your satin dolls and tear them all to shreds
I'd love to mess your pretty hair, i'd love to see you dead. - Boingo
Go to Top of Page

Ebb Vicious
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1162 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2004 :  08:43:00  Show Profile  Visit Ebb Vicious's Homepage  Reply with Quote

the frog painted himself into a corner when he said that he was a little kid eating all the fudge.

yes, exactly, you are an irresponsible brat.
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2004 :  16:23:07  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darkoutsider

It's not new material just remixed/ demos of songs you've all heard before.

Umm...it is new material.

I just heard the 10 songs and I think they're amazing. I don't think it's techno at all..It's just great odd music. I think the leaked Nimrod's Son is absolutely brilliant..great stuff, I'm looking forward to the CD.

"Join the Cult of Gunn / And Then You'll Be Destined to be a Rock and Roll Star of Epical Proportions!"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000