Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

soundofataris
= Cult of Ray =

USA
715 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  16:39:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
put me on that list too. they show up on ss occassionally, but never in bold, never able to download.

so frusturating...first no new york pixies show, now this...

woe is me....woe

I want to be a singer like Lou Reed
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  19:10:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMaximus

I've missed how good FB can sound in a studio environment. A lot of reverb-drenched, blippy keyboards, some funereal hornwork (see Nimrod's Son---incorporating elements of Tom Waits, Ugly Casanova and some of Modest Mouse's newer stuff), clanky percussion, etc. Sounds like some work was done with ProTools plug-ins (ie NI Spektral Delay), and that's not such a bad thing.

Disclaimer: I haven't heard any of these tracks you guys are talking about, but I am familiar with the Two Pale Boys work with David Thomas.

Anyway, those might not be keyboards. The Two Pale Boys can do all kinds of things with just a trumpet and a guitar (run through some electronics). And it wouldn't surprise me if these new versions of Pixies songs were recorded live just like the Catholics albums are. Here's David Thomas responding to a question in the FAQ for the Surf's Up album he made with the Two Pale Boys:
-------------------

Electronics and technology are eighty percent of the results of your records. Why don't you find more exciting playing with "true" instruments? In fact the recognition of the trumpet of Andy Diagram is sort of a quiet isle amidst some tour-de-force here and there. So is the banjo flavour of "Runaway," for example.

Almost all the parts you hear are being played in real time by "true" instruments. Keith generates 4 midi voices at any one time (including the banjo sample on Runaway) from his guitar, a "true" instrument. Andy generates 2 voices with the trumpet except one of the two can be a complex loop he assembles piece by piece from his trumpet in real time while the other can be a series of layers of sound. The melodeon is a "true" instrument. We do it this way because I want a trio. I want a trio because that is the optimum number of people for an improvising group. All the electronics you hear are being played. They are not sequenced or programmed or pre-recorded. We are a synthesis of "true" and electronic voices. That's what I wanted. And the percentage you quote is much nearer 50/50 than you realize.

Furthermore, most of the album is recorded live. Andy & Keith recorded their parts together with very minimal overdubs. I recorded the vocals within 6 passes. I took the tapes and re-recorded them to get the sound the way I wanted it but the performances themselves were in real time, standing there next to each other and playing. There are usually no more than 4-6 instrument tracks in any one song but I do alot of re-amping in the studio, generating 4-6 "copies" of every one of those original tracks. I spend time getting the space to sound right. I use a number of different mics. I don't use EQ at all. Instead Paul Hamann and I have invented a range of unconventional mics to achieve a banding effect across the frequency range that not only gives us good scale info but also allows us to bypass the eq stage. I only use spring reverbs and echo plates. I look for any chance to use passive filters. The album was recorded more live and with fewer studio digital effects (actually none!), I suggest, than the overwhelming number of "real" bands you might be thinking of. You may be mistaking the many voices we generate for overdubs or technical tricks. They aren't. We use the technology that others use for tricks but we use it in REAL time and we don't play tricks with it. Other musicians who see what we're doing are startled.

Edited by - Jason on 02/10/2004 19:12:36
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  21:15:11  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info, Jason.

Tim, the only one who laughs
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  21:39:36  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Certain parties are none-too-happy about these leaks.

I'm not gonna lock discussion on the topic, etc, but i hope that those who have copies keep them to themselves.

Join the Cult of the Flying Pigxies - I'm A Believer!
Go to Top of Page

Chip Away Boy
= Cult of Ray =

914 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  22:24:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which parties? There's always people that are pro and anti on the file sharing topic. If this party is joe shmoe it really wouldn't change my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  22:56:35  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well im guessing he means frank or ken

-miked
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  02:13:44  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hey jason,

that's great info!

and people

let's wait untill the album actually lands in the cd-shops
let's not bring back the discussion and reviews we had with SMYT

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  08:01:17  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'm for sex before marriage.i'll buy 2-3 copies anyway so what's wrong with wanting to listen before the official release?what's the difference?

join the cult of errol\and you can have a beer\without having to quit smoking
Go to Top of Page

Owen
- FB Fan -

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  10:07:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a difference between file-sharing and pre-release leaks which these are. The artist may no longer have any control of how his work is distributed, but is it too much to ask that they have control of when it's distributed?
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  10:39:42  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well-said Owen.

Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  11:33:01  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i prefer to respect the artist by buying his work and not sharing official releasses.leaks just give me the (probably stupid)satisfaction to listen to something before it comes out.IMHO it's better than waiting the official release and then dl everything.and i'm pretty sure that some of the moralists here have already dled whatever stuff already leaked.

Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  11:50:14  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mdisanto

well im guessing he means frank or ken

-miked

Ken, as in The Last Angry Man.
Grumpy manager a-hoy-hoy.

"I joined the Cult Of Strachan/Cos Hoddle just ain't right!"
Go to Top of Page

DrWorm
- FB Fan -

81 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  06:42:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll wait for official release, especially since it's not new material, but when does it come out anyway?

"Mister, would you please help my pony? / I think it's his lung"
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3426 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  06:43:38  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
April i beilieve.
nothing more specific than that at present.

"I joined the Cult of Frank / I think that man deserves a DB!"
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  09:12:04  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
well someone said it was pushed back to june
to acompany the reunion tour
which I can understand
but really deteste

Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  10:16:39  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

well someone said it was pushed back to june
to acompany the reunion tour
which I can understand
but really deteste

yah maybe thats why they are so mad it got leaked

-miked
Go to Top of Page

Chip Away Boy
= Cult of Ray =

914 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  10:57:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ah well, you gotta keep your work protected better with the way the internet works these days.
Go to Top of Page

worries have worries
- FB Fan -

France
54 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  08:12:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Noisy

Certain parties are none-too-happy about these leaks.

I'm not gonna lock discussion on the topic, etc, but i hope that those who have copies keep them to themselves.

I don't see your point Mr Dave. The files are there. It's frank's (or his lawyer/manager's) responsibility to prevent that shit from happening, isn't? And when it's happened, it means they do not work well. that's all. Stop trying to make the fans feel guilty about that. I can see some selrighteousness in that attitude.
In addition, the new mixing of the 6 songs mentionned is so fucking ugly and, more importantly, so totally pointless, that i am happy to have been able to listen to them and decide not to buy the album, rather than spend 20euros on this techno piece of amphibian shit.
For some people, buying an album is not a trivial act. 20 euro IS some money to me. Too bad Ken will not be able to afford a fifth car.
Aahh, i'm being sarcastic without sound reason.

Regards.

AWOL for everything
Go to Top of Page

worries have worries
- FB Fan -

France
54 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  08:26:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And by the way, the songs in question are available on soulseek. you look for "frank black francis". You will find them.
And now what Ken's gonna do? Fucking sue me and slsk?

VIVE LA COMMUNE DE PARIS!
A BAS LA SOCIETE SPECTACULAIRE MARCHANDE!

AWOL for everything
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  10:29:16  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought that there were more songs than just the six remixes.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  19:27:41  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The point is damage-control.

As Owen mentioned, it's one thing to have something floating around after it's been released, and totally another when something is out upwards of six months before it's due to be released.

The only way anyone can totally control this is to record, mix and master this totally YOURSELF, and send it to press the week of the release.

Which would suck incredibly, because it's impossible to do all this well.

There were a very limited number of people who had access to this, and one of them let it out. It agree that's very inappropriate, and i think it would be respectful of FB's fans to keep the recording to themselves.

If you feel guilty downloading, that's what YOU are feeling, due to your own ethical system, not mine.

And perhaps you *should* feel guilty. I admit that i feel a little compliant in this.

My two cents, anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Robert Onion
- FB Fan -

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  19:29:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Velouria, Levitate Me, Cactus, Holiday Song are also available
Go to Top of Page

worries have worries
- FB Fan -

France
54 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  03:33:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Noisy

The point is damage-control.

As Owen mentioned, it's one thing to have something floating around after it's been released, and totally another when something is out upwards of six months before it's due to be released.

The only way anyone can totally control this is to record, mix and master this totally YOURSELF, and send it to press the week of the release.

Which would suck incredibly, because it's impossible to do all this well.

There were a very limited number of people who had access to this, and one of them let it out. It agree that's very inappropriate, and i think it would be respectful of FB's fans to keep the recording to themselves.

If you feel guilty downloading, that's what YOU are feeling, due to your own ethical system, not mine.

And perhaps you *should* feel guilty. I admit that i feel a little compliant in this.

My two cents, anyway.

OOOOH. Thank you Mr Dave. Haven't laughed like that since i was a little girl. Damage control ? Did somebody got hurt? This the most remarkable piece of stalinist prose i've read in months.
I do not feel guilty little stalinist Dave, i don't think i should feel guilty, i think you are trying to make the fans guilty. (and btw let me get this straight : those of you going "i will wait, i won't dload" make me think of those "lovers" that are not in such a hurry to be w/ each other. Not to mention a very annoying righteousness)
I am so tired of that patronizing bullshit. Tracks leaked ? Blame the fuck who did that. What the fans have to do with that, i wonder.
Question for you :Whose responsibilty is it when the kids eat all the fudge, Dave? You'd say it's the kids. I say it's the parents, for not locking the fudge box properly; what do you expect from kids ? they 're just kids.
I guess we will never agree on this. You are a stalinist, i'm for the Paris Commune. We're not on the same side of the sidewalk.

AWOL for everything
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  05:20:31  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by worries have worries

Question for you :Whose responsibilty is it when the kids eat all the fudge, Dave? You'd say it's the kids. I say it's the parents, for not locking the fudge box properly; what do you expect from kids ? they 're just kids.

as a 'freaky dutch' (your words)
I have to say that
downloading tracks from this album is indeed childish, wories have wories! Thanks for saying that, I totally agree!

Go to Top of Page

worries have worries
- FB Fan -

France
54 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  06:17:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

quote:
Originally posted by worries have worries

as a 'freaky dutch' (your words)
I have to say that
downloading tracks from this album is indeed childish, wories have wories! Thanks for saying that, I totally agree!

Two things :
1. "freaky dutch" is a quote from Goldmember (Austin Powers 3). nothing personnal, hombre and my apologize if that upset you.didn't mean to. Plus i am really fond of ducth women. (they were hard w/ me, and they are tall, i like that)
2. Again, fuck that patronizing tone about fans dloading.(sorry)

AWOL for everything

Edited by - worries have worries on 02/16/2004 08:09:01
Go to Top of Page

Johnny Yen
= Cult of Ray =

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  06:20:28  Show Profile  Visit Johnny Yen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Worries Have Worries:
Are you really that fanatical about instant gratification and no restraint on desires that believe no one should have to wait for that which they want?
Also: Seems to me the parents have a responsibility to provide reasonable framework to allow the kids to follow their interests and desires, while at the same time teaching them restraint and self-control. A parent shouldn't have to lock the fudge up. The kid should be able to resist eating ALL the damn fudge, otherwise it's gonna be one fat kid pretty quick. You're example implies there should be authoritarian control in situations where it's completly unnecessary, assuming people can respect the wishes of others. That's fucked-up-Bush-tactics in the sense that it's taking away freedoms in order to protect people from themselves.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  06:43:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the ultimate issue here is tact.

Fine, you downloaded it. It's done. It's not that big a deal. Just don't share it now. Be nice. Frank Black got along just fine before frankblack.net and this forum. Dave's contacts don't have to continue passing along info so we can have a one-stop source.
Go to Top of Page

kromkamp
= Cult of Ray =

291 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  08:16:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found 'em last light, listened to 'em right now.

Sorry, these are just plain awful. They have no energy, and Nimrod's Son sounds like a Polka version. 'The joke has come upon me' indeed...

The rest just sound like all the energy has been sucked out of them, when they arent sounding different just for the sake of being different. They are sort-of-kind-of interesting to listen to once, but would you ever listen to them again?

Its going to be interesting hearing these back to back with the pre-pixies demos. I think FB is setting himself up for a fall here with this album - no doubt the early material is going to have ten times the passion, these new tracks will sound even worse in comparison.

I was a little worried that this might be a harbinger of things to come for the tour, except I've seen him play 'where is my mind' with more passion with the Catholics. It does bother me that all of the screaming edge has been sucked out of Caribou, though. God forbid 'Tame' or 'Rock Music' gets the same treatment live, I think I would be very sad....

Go to Top of Page

worries have worries
- FB Fan -

France
54 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  09:04:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kromkamp

Found 'em last light, listened to 'em right now.
Sorry, these are just plain awful. They have no energy, and Nimrod's Son sounds like a Polka version. 'The joke has come upon me' indeed...
The rest just sound like all the energy has been sucked out of them, when they arent sounding different just for the sake of being different. They are sort-of-kind-of interesting to listen to once, but would you ever listen to them again?

Hombre, i couldn't agree more. i myself am puzzled (the word doesn't quite express my feeling) by those pieces of amphibian shit. what's happened to frank? Has he been injecting heroin?
Fuck, i won't even bother to dload the rest of it, it's disgusting.

AWOL for everything

Edited by - worries have worries on 02/16/2004 09:11:30
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  10:19:57  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i am not going to DL the stuff, but i'm REALLY excited about the record - i love david thomas's work w/ the two pale boys, and i'm looking forward to bizarre fucked up "amphibian shit."

i never thought this board would breed people who didn't like a change of pace now and then

-brian

- "I joined the Cult of Frank / And they tried to cut off my nuts and make me put in a blue jumpsuit"
Go to Top of Page

kromkamp
= Cult of Ray =

291 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  11:04:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
change is good, but change for the sake of change is not.

Listen to them and then comment :)
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  11:50:02  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i actually like it.nothing memorable just some experimental arrangements on pixies classics.if the rest of the album is like this it will be more of a collectionist item.definetely non commercial stuff.

Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  11:52:22  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WITH ALL DUE RESPECT, why do people have to be prohibited from sharing their opinions about the new album? Some people say they like it, others don't, and it all makes me pretty curious.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  11:56:43  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WHW - if you think you can judge me as a 'Stalinist patriarch' from these two postings, then i have nothing further to say to you.

Go to Top of Page

matthew
- FB Fan -

41 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  12:27:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems like this record may have been leaked before it was/is finished. It could sound very different once it's released....
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000