Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 30 Years of TOTY - What will WE do about it?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2024 :  12:32:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to connect to the forum on this wavelength.

Do you guys / gals want to try to do something for TOTY's 30th?

I know there's tons more people besides the dozen of us who recognize TOTY for what it is.

Could we.... do something?

I don't know what, a listening party? A commemorative event? A public demonstration to raise awareness? A YouTube video?

I have no idea but I thought I would bounce it off the forum to see if this seed could germinate into something bigger.

I'm in NY, and I think a couple other are too, and I know a bunch of you are in Europe, but maybe somehow something could happen with this?

If no interest, I'm sure we will all appreciate TOTY in our own ways, but again I just thought I'd take the pulse of the people and see if anyone had any thoughts.

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2024 :  23:20:47  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Count me in!

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2024 :  05:42:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

Count me in!

Right on Bill!

Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2024 :  11:46:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some sort of online fanzine? Each contributor to pen an article about the album?
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2024 :  15:39:22  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool idea. I'll simply add a recording of the album release party (maybe - it's not confirmed, but seems likely): https://ln5.sync.com/dl/4000065c0/yxmsajwa-m3urbten-3r2czzq7-sk9mfgjw
Jeez, it's really been 'that' long since I shared this the first time...

Frank Black
McCabe's, Santa Monica, USA
1994-05-27 (Late Show)

Lineage: ? > cd-r (unknown gen) > EAC v0.99 prebeta 5 (Secure Mode) > flac > you

Setlist:
(Solo)
01 Handyman
02 Headache
03 Whatever Happened To Pong?
04 Old Black Dawning
05 The Man Who Was Too Loud
06 I Heard Ramona Sing
07 Sir Rockaby
08 This Is Where I Belong
09 White Noise Maker
10 Brackish Boy
11 At The End Of The World
12 Adda Lee
13 Space Is Gonna Do Me Good
14 Freedom Rock
(Band)
15 Oddballs
16 Two Spaces
17 Hate Me
18 Men In Black
19 Calistan
20 Czar
21 Superabound
22 Big Red
23 Fu Manchu
24 Vanishing Spies
25 Ten Percenter
26 Thalassocracy
27 Two Reelers
28 Bad Wicked World
29 Hostess With The Mostest
Length: 82:44

Info: A very good show this one - quality is very good, and alot of banter. Frank starts playing a solo electric set. He is then joined by his band (Eric Drew Feldman - bass, Nick Vincent - drums, Lyle Workman - guitar).
Teenager Of The Year was released 3 days prior (on May 24th 1994) so he plays most of the album - perhaps this was the album release party?
Frank talks about the songs a lot, introducing almost every one, which makes for a great show. They played 2 shows at McCabes that day, and this is the 2nd show.

Enjoy,
einzack (2011-11-18)

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2024 :  00:27:40  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Me and my friend plan to discuss it on a Patreon podcast we're doing, but almost nobody will really get to hear it. But if it comes out good then down the line I may release it for free.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2024 :  07:06:51  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

Me and my friend plan to discuss it on a Patreon podcast we're doing, but almost nobody will really get to hear it. But if it comes out good then down the line I may release it for free.

What's the name of the podcast?

We used to have a FB.net-podcast

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2024 :  07:55:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benji

Cool idea. I'll simply add a recording of the album release party (maybe - it's not confirmed, but seems likely): https://ln5.sync.com/dl/4000065c0/yxmsajwa-m3urbten-3r2czzq7-sk9mfgjw
Jeez, it's really been 'that' long since I shared this the first time...

Frank Black
McCabe's, Santa Monica, USA
1994-05-27 (Late Show)

Lineage: ? > cd-r (unknown gen) > EAC v0.99 prebeta 5 (Secure Mode) > flac > you

Setlist:
(Solo)
01 Handyman
02 Headache
03 Whatever Happened To Pong?
04 Old Black Dawning
05 The Man Who Was Too Loud
06 I Heard Ramona Sing
07 Sir Rockaby
08 This Is Where I Belong
09 White Noise Maker
10 Brackish Boy
11 At The End Of The World
12 Adda Lee
13 Space Is Gonna Do Me Good
14 Freedom Rock
(Band)
15 Oddballs
16 Two Spaces
17 Hate Me
18 Men In Black
19 Calistan
20 Czar
21 Superabound
22 Big Red
23 Fu Manchu
24 Vanishing Spies
25 Ten Percenter
26 Thalassocracy
27 Two Reelers
28 Bad Wicked World
29 Hostess With The Mostest
Length: 82:44

Info: A very good show this one - quality is very good, and alot of banter. Frank starts playing a solo electric set. He is then joined by his band (Eric Drew Feldman - bass, Nick Vincent - drums, Lyle Workman - guitar).
Teenager Of The Year was released 3 days prior (on May 24th 1994) so he plays most of the album - perhaps this was the album release party?
Frank talks about the songs a lot, introducing almost every one, which makes for a great show. They played 2 shows at McCabes that day, and this is the 2nd show.

Enjoy,
einzack (2011-11-18)

Amazing thanks Benji
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2024 :  09:49:12  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

What's the name of the podcast?

We used to have a FB.net-podcast

I am well aware!

My They Might Be Giants podcast Don't Let's Start launched a Patreon two weeks ago! For our top tier members we are doing non-TMBG (but they come up often) shows, one of them being Baby That's Art: A Frank Black Podcast (or some other name if we think of something else.)

We're gonna kind of casually go through his albums and stuff, though I may be tempted to do more research and find audio clips, etc. But the thing is, we have so few top tier members, our audience is quite...intimate. So doing all that work for a few people is a little nuts. But if the shows come out good, maybe in a year or two I'll put them out on some sort of stream for free?
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2024 :  13:42:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
---It's a great album! I completely understand when people say it's his best. What I love about it, is some songs are immediately catchy and inviting and remain so to this day while others take a while to grow on you but become amazing when they eventually do. It's got fast paced rockers, off-kilter heavy songs, and perhaps one of the greatest love songs ever in Speedy Marie, that outro still gives me chills.

---A great road trip album too. Driving around the ever ascending and winding hills of Colorado hearing the drum into to Thalassocracy is an incredible feeling.

---One of the greats. Terrible album cover though, never liked it but who cares really, when the songs are so great.

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2024 :  13:44:29  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arm Arm Arm
---One of the greats. Terrible album cover though, never liked it but who cares really, when the songs are so great.

OK, a challenge:

Name a better Frank solo cover.

I can't think of one! Not only do I love Teenager of the Year's cover, but I also think it's basically the only decent cover! I may need to refresh my memory though.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2024 :  14:41:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

OK, a challenge:

I can't think of one! Not only do I love Teenager of the Year's cover, but I also think it's basically the only decent cover! I may need to refresh my memory though.

Ha! Challenge accepted. The problem is, I don't think I like any of them. Post-Pixies. Pixies covers are great. Let's do a quick rundown.

FB--Could be the best of the bunch, I actually like this, the colors, an explosion of light.

Teenager---Ugly. Just...ugly.

Cult---What is this? Trying to outdo the ugliness of Teenager in a more primitive way? I don't know. Just nothing great. Or good.

FB & the C's---not bad, I kinda like it.

Pistolero---Not bad, I like the grittiness, seems to match both title and contents.

Dog---I'm not one for group band photos so this is just dull. Not ugly but boring. Not good.

Black Letter Days---Horrible. I guess it matches the title but instead of some askew and interesting image (what I think they were going for) it just is flat to me.

Devil's Workshop---I think I rate this higher because it followed BLD. Not great though, but one of the better ones.

SMYT---Ah! This could be the best one. I like the cat, charming and cute and funny; the card suits on the guitar are an inspired image and somehow fit with the overall, to me, Western motif running through some of the Catholics material. This could be my favorite. Actually it is. I think this superioro to the rest and certainly to Teenager!

I'm going to stop there before getting into the travesty that's Bluefinger, another ugly cover for a good to great run of songs.

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2024 :  14:43:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The card suits make me think of Western saloons, some futuristic fantastical world mixed with wild west themes, but really - it just works for me! No reason needed.

I think SMYT is the best of the bunch.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2024 :  07:09:38  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
TOTY completely blew me away the first time I heard it. I think that would have been in like 2001? I got into the pixies late, probably around ‘98. So I’d heavily listened to Pixies for a few years. Then one day somehow I figured out “oh hey the Pixies guy goes by Frank Black and he’s still been doing stuff all this time.” The first one I grabbed was TOTY because it was highly rated from a critical standpoint. Boy Howdy was that a shock to hear.

Pretty quickly gobbled up everything else available at the time then proceeded to always grab the latest and greatest on release day. I still love it, although I kind of have to be in the mood for it nowadays. I think because I’ve heard it so many times.

Tried to get him to sign my original pressing LP back maybe around 2015 but he wasn’t having it. Probably thought I was going to sell it. Who knows. Just an epic album and a treasure trove of peak Charles Thompson tracks.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2024 :  13:59:54  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

You must be joking.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2024 :  17:13:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Completely serious. The cover shouldn't work perhaps, all that gold and brown overlaid and yet it does, for me anyway. Because of this topic I've given it the most thorough examination ever and it's just...weird. The way the figure's hand looks like it's bent backwards holding the warped or broken staff...or spear. I never noticed the figure actually stepping forward and out from the frame before, the head being cut off and out of sight.

Relative to Frank's solo albums and the others with the Catholics, this is one of the better ones.

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2024 :  11:41:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

OK, a challenge:

Ha! Challenge accepted. The problem is, I don't think I like any of them. Post-Pixies. Pixies covers are great. Let's do a quick rundown.

FB--Could be the best of the bunch, I actually like this, the colors, an explosion of light.

Teenager---Ugly. Just...ugly.

Cult---What is this? Trying to outdo the ugliness of Teenager in a more primitive way? I don't know. Just nothing great. Or good.

Pistolero---Not bad, I like the grittiness, seems to match both title and contents.

Dog---I'm not one for group band photos so this is just dull. Not ugly but boring. Not good.

Black Letter Days---Horrible. I guess it matches the title but instead of some askew and interesting image (what I think they were going for) it just is flat to me.

Devil's Workshop---I think I rate this higher because it followed BLD. Not great though, but one of the better ones.

SMYT---Ah! This could be the best one. I like the cat, charming and cute and funny; the card suits on the guitar are an inspired image and somehow fit with the overall, to me, Western motif running through some of the Catholics material. This could be my favorite. Actually it is. I think this superioro to the rest and certainly to Teenager!

I'm going to stop there before getting into the travesty that's Bluefinger, another ugly cover for a good to great run of songs.

Cheers

Oddballs album cover is my favourite
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2024 :  15:52:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We should do an album cover survivor game
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2024 :  10:03:59  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Relative to Frank's solo albums and the others with the Catholics, this is one of the better ones.

I literally think it may be the worst album cover of all time. Easily the worst one made by any artist that I like.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  06:28:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting news on the Pixies and Frank Black Francis Facebook group. Someone claims to have been given 'a peek behind the curtain' that a 2025 tour of TOTY with the original band (EDF, Nick Vincent and Lyle) is in the works.

Can't comment on the veracity but the poster seems pretty sure and excited.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  06:53:24  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Holy cow, not really into EDF as a bass player, but that's sure a great line up

Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  07:12:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I literally think it may be the worst album cover of all time. Easily the worst one made by any artist that I like.

I've never really thought anything of the Teenager of the Year art, it's cheeky but not tacky. Now, Frank Black and the Catholics, on the other hand might take the cake for worst album cover of all time (or at least by an artist I like) - I have no idea what the thinking was there. The Pistolero cover, meanwhile, looks both cheap and tacky.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  07:43:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

Interesting news on the Pixies and Frank Black Francis Facebook group. Someone claims to have been given 'a peek behind the curtain' that a 2025 tour of TOTY with the original band (EDF, Nick Vincent and Lyle) is in the works.

Can't comment on the veracity but the poster seems pretty sure and excited.

If this is true....
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  08:44:40  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh boy. I see the thread too. Oh boy. Hmm. If this is nowhere near me in NY I'm gonna be upset. I may have to travel. But I'll have a baby (Of The Year) by then. Um. Yeah.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  09:01:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TOTY tour would be amazing.

And here's something Lyle posted on Facebook a few years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT_W3nyVx24&ab_channel=LyleWorkman

quote:
Another blast from the past. I absolutely loved playing with Frank Black. He allowed so much space to do my thing and I did it with gleefull abandon. It is by far the most amount of improvisational freedom I’ve had with an artist and man oh man, he writes such interesting music that highly inspired me so the ideas flowed. Here’s a few tracks from the sensational “Teenager of the Year”, performed in France 1995.

OK, about the “hat”. Backstage along with our food and snacks was a nice bottle of wine wrapped in very sturdy paper. I wasted no time#65532; sticking it on my head fastened with tape, you know, for shits and giggles. I joked about doing the gig with the ridiculous hat on, and egged on by Frank’s girlfriend, I did. Well, I didn’t know the darn thing was being televised until hitting the stage but went with it anyway. On a subsequent tour in France, a fan spotted me on a street and said he had a videotape of that concert. He was kind enough to send me a copy - way before YouTube etc. My ears ring to this day from the volume we put forth and I’m sure I was the most guilty party, but it was worth it.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1226 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  09:58:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW. I better start saving now, if that was only a stateside tour I would still have to be there even for one night.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  11:30:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went over to the facebook page, and to my surprise I'm inclined to believe it. Hopefully it'll be more than a few nights!
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  12:32:17  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Holy shit… I’ll get on a plane for this if true…

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CpRKONgJO8o/?igsh=MTFqbXB5NWYxbjBlag==

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  13:34:49  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Still haven't seen the orignal post on FB

Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  13:46:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't seem to link to a particular thread by a "group expert" called Eric Roberts, who scrolling further along the page, seems to have some contacts in the Frank Black world (looks like he was contacted by Charles and his manager to alert fans to fake Frank Black social media accounts, etc). Could all be BS, but this fellow strikes me as sincere.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  13:57:45  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

I can't seem to link to a particular thread by a "group expert" called Eric Roberts, who scrolling further along the page, seems to have some contacts in the Frank Black world (looks like he was contacted by Charles and his manager to alert fans to fake Frank Black social media accounts, etc). Could all be BS, but this fellow strikes me as sincere.

I can't even find someone name Eric Roberts on that page.

Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  14:14:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On this page? "Pixies and Frank Black Francis"? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1112525925483327

It shuffles around as one of the top 10 threads/posts.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  14:25:28  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm always on that page, it doesn't show a post on TOTY for me

Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  14:41:06  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Edited by - benji on 03/16/2024 14:41:24
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  14:55:56  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wow, thanks! I can't find that post, even when I search for it.
But it was something I had blocked myself!

Edited by - billgoodman on 03/16/2024 14:58:13
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  14:57:46  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wow, thanks! I can't find that post, even when I search for it.

does this work:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1112525925483327/permalink/7351249784944212/

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page