-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 30 Years of TOTY - What will WE do about it?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bedbug Posted - 03/07/2024 : 12:32:03
I just wanted to connect to the forum on this wavelength.

Do you guys / gals want to try to do something for TOTY's 30th?

I know there's tons more people besides the dozen of us who recognize TOTY for what it is.

Could we.... do something?

I don't know what, a listening party? A commemorative event? A public demonstration to raise awareness? A YouTube video?

I have no idea but I thought I would bounce it off the forum to see if this seed could germinate into something bigger.

I'm in NY, and I think a couple other are too, and I know a bunch of you are in Europe, but maybe somehow something could happen with this?

If no interest, I'm sure we will all appreciate TOTY in our own ways, but again I just thought I'd take the pulse of the people and see if anyone had any thoughts.
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Superabounder Posted - 04/27/2024 : 11:37:17
Oh my gosh have not been here in years but thankful to have checked the forum today! If this tour happens!!? Will blow my mind. I skipped TOTY tour because the cover of the album bummed me out for a while and I didn’t get in to the album right away for some stupid reason. Later became my fav album for years and years. The Cult tour blew my mind. One of best concerts I ever saw. Excited!! Would be cool if there was a meetup in a big city or cities if this happens!

I'd rather be anywhere or doing anything
Sprite Posted - 04/09/2024 : 12:36:53
Ooh nice. Ayoade not too shabbby on the guitar!
The Maharal Posted - 04/09/2024 : 12:01:30
Can't find Calistan but here are the other two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJhFEqFa9x0&ab_channel=AdamBuxton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9DCxymPFdg&ab_channel=AdamBuxton
The Maharal Posted - 03/24/2024 : 02:17:45
Nice. Buxton is great. Looking forward to whenever he gets around to doing that podcast with BF which he has teased a few times at this stage (and it's long overdue since they're friends). Still find it amusing that Adam was milling around the area whenever Kim decided to abandon ship during the Indie Cindy recordings.
Bedbug Posted - 03/23/2024 : 18:54:47
WWWWWHHHHHHHAAAAAATTTTTTT
Sprite Posted - 03/23/2024 : 18:21:08
If you think playing Bird Dream and the Happening was good well wait till you hear he played Calistan in London on Tuesday

(from Reddit Planet of Sound)

https://www.reddit.com/r/thepixies/comments/1bj72s5/last_night_adam_buxton_brought_out_frank_black_to/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last night Adam Buxton brought out Frank Black to play 'Hey' with Richard Ayoade.
Ol' Buckles played the London Palladium last night and in the second half did a bit on Pixies and their influence on him. After a bit of customary waffle, Ayoade started noodling Hey on his guitar. When Buxton asked him to sing it, he seemed shy and instead, from stage right, emerged Frank Black. They played Hey, with Ayoade doing the lead solo.

Then Buxton got Frank Black to play Calistan. And he finished with Where Is My Mind.

Great night.
Bedbug Posted - 03/22/2024 : 07:23:16
Thanks so much Peter

Appreciate your work on this

Please do keep us posted
peter radiator Posted - 03/18/2024 : 13:48:04
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

Ahaha I did wonder if it was someone on the forum! A good read.

Hope very much there'll be a UK date or two...

Thanks for the kind words.

I am told no shows outside of the USA are planned, and that it will likely be a very limited number of dates.

But hey, who knows? A lot can change over the next several months.

I just hope it actually comes to pass in one form or another. The world these days is a very unreliable place, filled with no shortage of unexpected entanglements...

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Ziggy Posted - 03/18/2024 : 12:56:02
quote:
Originally posted by peter radiator

That's my website and my post (both above and below).

Thanks for linking to it, Benji!

I can vouch for the information contained in the article.

https://wickedmessenger.com/march-16-blog-links-post/

--

Ahaha I did wonder if it was someone on the forum! A good read.

Hope very much there'll be a UK date or two...
peter radiator Posted - 03/18/2024 : 12:30:01
That's my website and my post (both above and below).

Thanks for linking to it, Benji!

I can vouch for the information contained in the article.

https://wickedmessenger.com/march-16-blog-links-post/

--

Bedbug Posted - 03/17/2024 : 10:10:22
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Gotta say Bedbug you've achieved an awful lot with that first post :)

that's the power of the Forum!
Sprite Posted - 03/17/2024 : 04:38:25
Gotta say Bedbug you've achieved an awful lot with that first post :)
Sprite Posted - 03/17/2024 : 04:37:27
I am as excited right now as when I first heard about the Bossanova/Trompe shows! Which I am getting to see in about 8 hours from now!!! I seem to be in a permanent state of excitement.
billgoodman Posted - 03/17/2024 : 03:57:52
I hope EDF will play keys too
Just ask Paz to play bass

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Bedbug Posted - 03/17/2024 : 03:11:08
Joey too?
Ziggy Posted - 03/17/2024 : 00:37:26
Certainly very exciting. Looked like Charles' brother also corroborating it in that thread too?

Interesting to see if EDF is on bass or keys. The latter are such a prominent part of that record.
Bedbug Posted - 03/16/2024 : 20:04:55
This is insanity

I can’t believe what I’m reading

The forum keeps getting its wishes granted
benji Posted - 03/16/2024 : 19:32:49
TOTY tour mentioned here as well: https://wickedmessenger.com/march-16-blog-links-post/
quote:
However, just a few hours ago, I was told personally by one of the musicians who both played on Frank Black Francis’ triumphant, genre-bending 1994 double-album TEENAGER OF THE YEAR, as well as toured with him upon its release, that there are also plans underway for a brief 30th Anniversary “Reunion Tour” celebrating the release of that legitimately stupefyingly accomplished and ballsy record.

quote:
While “details are still being worked out,” it appears that all the principals are on board for this undertaking – including bassist Eric Drew Feldman , drummer Nick Vincent, and guitarist Lyle Workman.

quote:
Though not officially acknowledged or announced, literally while I was speaking with my friend, these plans were corroborated by FBF himself to another highly trusted mutual acquaintance, so – barring any unforeseen hindrances – it would seem this tour is a go!

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
billgoodman Posted - 03/16/2024 : 15:03:28
Yes, it does! Finally! what a great news

benji Posted - 03/16/2024 : 14:57:46
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

Wow, thanks! I can't find that post, even when I search for it.

does this work:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1112525925483327/permalink/7351249784944212/

billgoodman Posted - 03/16/2024 : 14:55:56
Wow, thanks! I can't find that post, even when I search for it.
But it was something I had blocked myself!

benji Posted - 03/16/2024 : 14:41:06

billgoodman Posted - 03/16/2024 : 14:25:28
Yeah, I'm always on that page, it doesn't show a post on TOTY for me

Brank_Flack Posted - 03/16/2024 : 14:14:07
On this page? "Pixies and Frank Black Francis"? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1112525925483327

It shuffles around as one of the top 10 threads/posts.
billgoodman Posted - 03/16/2024 : 13:57:45
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

I can't seem to link to a particular thread by a "group expert" called Eric Roberts, who scrolling further along the page, seems to have some contacts in the Frank Black world (looks like he was contacted by Charles and his manager to alert fans to fake Frank Black social media accounts, etc). Could all be BS, but this fellow strikes me as sincere.

I can't even find someone name Eric Roberts on that page.

Brank_Flack Posted - 03/16/2024 : 13:46:28
I can't seem to link to a particular thread by a "group expert" called Eric Roberts, who scrolling further along the page, seems to have some contacts in the Frank Black world (looks like he was contacted by Charles and his manager to alert fans to fake Frank Black social media accounts, etc). Could all be BS, but this fellow strikes me as sincere.
billgoodman Posted - 03/16/2024 : 13:34:49
Still haven't seen the orignal post on FB

johnnyribcage Posted - 03/16/2024 : 12:32:17
Holy shit… I’ll get on a plane for this if true…

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CpRKONgJO8o/?igsh=MTFqbXB5NWYxbjBlag==

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Brank_Flack Posted - 03/16/2024 : 11:30:05
I went over to the facebook page, and to my surprise I'm inclined to believe it. Hopefully it'll be more than a few nights!
Sprite Posted - 03/16/2024 : 09:58:50
WOW. I better start saving now, if that was only a stateside tour I would still have to be there even for one night.
The Maharal Posted - 03/16/2024 : 09:01:26
TOTY tour would be amazing.

And here's something Lyle posted on Facebook a few years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT_W3nyVx24&ab_channel=LyleWorkman

quote:
Another blast from the past. I absolutely loved playing with Frank Black. He allowed so much space to do my thing and I did it with gleefull abandon. It is by far the most amount of improvisational freedom I’ve had with an artist and man oh man, he writes such interesting music that highly inspired me so the ideas flowed. Here’s a few tracks from the sensational “Teenager of the Year”, performed in France 1995.

OK, about the “hat”. Backstage along with our food and snacks was a nice bottle of wine wrapped in very sturdy paper. I wasted no time#65532; sticking it on my head fastened with tape, you know, for shits and giggles. I joked about doing the gig with the ridiculous hat on, and egged on by Frank’s girlfriend, I did. Well, I didn’t know the darn thing was being televised until hitting the stage but went with it anyway. On a subsequent tour in France, a fan spotted me on a street and said he had a videotape of that concert. He was kind enough to send me a copy - way before YouTube etc. My ears ring to this day from the volume we put forth and I’m sure I was the most guilty party, but it was worth it.
Troubles A Foot Posted - 03/16/2024 : 08:44:40
Oh boy. I see the thread too. Oh boy. Hmm. If this is nowhere near me in NY I'm gonna be upset. I may have to travel. But I'll have a baby (Of The Year) by then. Um. Yeah.
Bedbug Posted - 03/16/2024 : 07:43:53
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

Interesting news on the Pixies and Frank Black Francis Facebook group. Someone claims to have been given 'a peek behind the curtain' that a 2025 tour of TOTY with the original band (EDF, Nick Vincent and Lyle) is in the works.

Can't comment on the veracity but the poster seems pretty sure and excited.

If this is true....
Brank_Flack Posted - 03/16/2024 : 07:12:25
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

quote:
Originally posted by Arm Arm Arm
Relative to Frank's solo albums and the others with the Catholics, this is one of the better ones.

I literally think it may be the worst album cover of all time. Easily the worst one made by any artist that I like.

I've never really thought anything of the Teenager of the Year art, it's cheeky but not tacky. Now, Frank Black and the Catholics, on the other hand might take the cake for worst album cover of all time (or at least by an artist I like) - I have no idea what the thinking was there. The Pistolero cover, meanwhile, looks both cheap and tacky.
billgoodman Posted - 03/16/2024 : 06:53:24
Holy cow, not really into EDF as a bass player, but that's sure a great line up

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000