LOS ANGELES
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

smashmachine
- FB Fan -

28 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  17:52:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im absolutley obsessed with this song, its my favorite Frank Black song, what got me started (with Man fo Steel on the Xfiles sndtrk). Anyways, I had questions:

-How big did this song get? did it get any airtime?

-what was the video like?

-i faintly recall beavis and butthead watching it one ep, did they say anything about frank?

frankenspock
- FB Fan -

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  19:26:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was a very modest success and enjoyed not a lot of airtime that I can recall. MTV made a half-hearted effort to push it on the alternative crowd and then gave up.

The video was very strange, but fun to watch. It featured FB driving a hovercraft around in the desert by California's Salton Sea. It was directed by John Flansburgh of They Might Be Giants.
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  20:40:10  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I totally agree with smashmachine that this is amazing. The video's on the FTP. FB wore glasses.

This song is so abstract. Weird, uncommon chord progressions complemented by weird, uncommon melodies. Extreme contrast from a high-energy thrash that I could imagine a fierce pissed-off punk band at a small venue could execute well to a sweet, amazing melody, could sooth even the most bitter souls - a 40 piece orchestra could execute beautifully. Time signature = don't get me started. Lyrics that attest to ineffably high degrees of eccentricity. And song structure? Weird again. There's really no verse nor chorus.

It's amazing that someone can be so eccentric yet beautiful. It just goes to illustrate how ingenious FB is. I mean, anyone can be eccentric and put chords & notes together that no one would have ever thought of, which COULD induce an "interesting" song. But Frank puts these things together that no one would have ever thought of AND makes it beautiful and catchy and powerful in addition to "interesting".

A true sign of musical genius.

I have a very hard time comprehending how anybody could not love this song. I mean, honestly.

Edited by - IceCream on 09/03/2007 18:35:41
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  21:18:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was the Frank Black song I ever heard (including the Pixies). In 1995 I first heard the Pixies and then bought all the available Pixies and Frank Black albums in the space of about two months. Hearing Frank Black I recognized "Los Angeles" right away. I'd heard it somewhere before, but I have no idea where.

So while it wasn't a hit exactly it got enough exposure for clueless teenage me to have heard it and gotten it stuck in my brain (all while not knowing anything about Frank Black).
Go to Top of Page

smashmachine
- FB Fan -

28 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2004 :  06:09:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats a good way of putting it Jason, even in fourth grade, it still just got a enough airplay for me to just remember that "I want to Live in Los Angeles." And as someone put it above, I just couldnt understand how someone wouldnt like this song, I mean the final two minutes are mind blowing. I remember last year, I was at nationals for cross country, and to stretch and warm up I popped opened the door of the back of the rented Blazer and just started blasting Los Angeles (along with Bullit and Dog in the Sand), and whoever walked past me gave me gave a weird look for sure, but it worked, I was never that pumped in my life or as ready, just mumbling to myself at the start line "I'll wait in the pouring sun . . . . No way . . . for not anyone . . . No way "
Go to Top of Page

"French" Black
- FB Fan -

France
1 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  04:51:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Los Angeles/Ten Percenter two-tracks CD was the first CD I bought in my life.
Here in France, it was sold as a limited edition : limited in number but also in time, that is that it was available only during one week in the record shops. So there was a real rush on this CD and the song went up to the second or third rank of the TOP 50, the French charts of these days. It was incredible because in this charts you would usually find really commercial songs.
Of course, the song remained only one week in the charts.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  06:00:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A fabulous track. Some might say the very essence of FB?

"Me and the chickens running in the street"
Go to Top of Page

FrankfanL
- FB Fan -

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  13:47:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Jason, Los Angeles Video was my first taste of Frank too. I was struck by the vision of Frank driving that hover craft, and the set-up reminded me of a TMBG video.(no wonder. John Flansburgh directed it) From that day I was hooked. I too went back to buy the old Pixies stuff.I admit to being more of a FB solo fan, but didg the Pixies as well.
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2004 :  21:52:57  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

A fabulous track. Some might say the very essence of FB?

"Me and the chickens running in the street"

I would. Abstract Plain too.
Go to Top of Page

smashmachine
- FB Fan -

28 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  16:46:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is the video available anywhere on the internet?
Go to Top of Page

Hatchetman
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  04:58:49  Show Profile  Visit Hatchetman's Homepage  Click to see Hatchetman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smashmachine

is the video available anywhere on the internet?

It's on the FTP. See above.

Ade
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2007 :  18:45:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can we take a moment to remember how wonderfully explosive this song is played live?

Sigh....

the cure make me want to die, but in a good way -- mr.biscuitdoughhead

Go to Top of Page

tofuescape
- FB Fan -

30 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  01:40:42  Show Profile  Visit tofuescape's Homepage  Reply with Quote
can someone explain "the FTP" for me? Where is it and what does it do? Yes, I am behind the times, and computer illiterate. Thanks in advance,
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  11:28:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well basically the FTP is no more. I'm not exactly sure but I think it was where lots of live recordings and bootlegs were available for download.

If you have a request for a particular song or gig though you can just request it in the FB&C sides section. I'm sure there'll be someone to try and help you out with it.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  15:16:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Birthday Los Angeles. 536 today.
xxx

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  15:32:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixiestu

Well basically the FTP is no more. I'm not exactly sure but I think it was where lots of live recordings and bootlegs were available for download.

If you have a request for a particular song or gig though you can just request it in the FB&C sides section. I'm sure there'll be someone to try and help you out with it.

"The arc of triumph"

And if you want to see the LA video, go to YouTube. Or, more specically, check out our handy-dandy fb.net YouTube page at youtube.com/frankblacknet. Choose playlists, then the FB music videos playlist, and it's one of the eight videos posted there.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  05:04:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Los Angeles as an opener had just about the same impact on me that Caribou did when I first got into Pixies. It's how I knew that Frank's solo career wasn't going to dissapoint. Understatement of the year!

Can someone tell me who's playing that explosive riff? Is it Frank or Lyle or Joey or who?

The acoustic version on the Christmass DVD is really intense too.

SPEEDYMARIEGONZALES
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  08:08:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember reading somewhere about how mr. thompson was inspired to write the song los angeles, from what i remember he was reading an article or a book or something on the subject of all of the cities worldwide in the present and the past that were and are named los angeles.
does anyone know the story on this.
i have been trying to get info for some time on this.
thanks
and
best regards

Manuel wants to keep his pet rat.
Manuel: Mrs. Fawlty, please understand. If he go, I go!
Basil Fawlty: Well, goodbye!
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  12:53:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frankenspock

It was directed by John Flansburgh of They Might Be Giants.

I must have missed this post because I was quite shocked when I found this out the other day. I've started listening to TMBG a hell of a lot lately. I love the video though, it's just typical Frank Blackishness.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  13:06:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SPEEDYMARIEGONZALES

I remember reading somewhere about how mr. thompson was inspired to write the song los angeles, from what i remember he was reading an article or a book or something on the subject of all of the cities worldwide in the present and the past that were and are named los angeles.
does anyone know the story on this.
i have been trying to get info for some time on this.
thanks
and
best regards

this thread talks about Frank's inspiration for Los Angeles a bit.
i remember reading interviews about it back in the day, about how it was about other los angeles' around the world, and the past and future los angeles (in CA) .. at least that's what part of the song is about

the whole "they got one in twenty five two five" is a reference to the song In The Year 2525, which he imagined as being like the Los Angeles in blade runner..

i think we should have a Los Angeles thread dedicated to the city of Los Angeles

"I am a troll.. and a fag." -LBF

Edited by - floop on 09/08/2007 13:11:10
Go to Top of Page

SPEEDYMARIEGONZALES
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  14:25:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks floop, thats what i was looking for

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  15:23:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
any time gonzo

"I am a troll.. and a fag." -LBF
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2021 :  19:49:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good cover of Los Angeles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1Dpc2wARcI

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2021 :  12:22:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember MTV broadcasting an add for the album with the intro playing and an image of the cover. I heard that sound of I don’t know, chimes? Combined with the warmth of the acoustic and his voice and then, THUD! What an amazing song.

Edited by - danjersey on 02/19/2021 12:24:45
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2021 :  13:26:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a great video.

The song is ok.

Psych, the song is one of the GOATs!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic