Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2024 :  12:41:00  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal
Paz has shot herself in the foot here completely and I'm not too surprised the band have done what they've done. Also, why was she even doing a t-shirt competition in the first place? Bizarre.

T-shirt competition?

I feel like I'm getting lost here. Can anyone summarize exactly what we know?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2024 :  12:45:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ditto to Trouble

I thought that there was a one time event that caused the problem but sometimes it sounds like ongoing thing?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Sincerely,

Digging for Fired
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2024 :  12:51:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jake3

Here's some screenshots of Paz's old Instagram posts regarding Ariel Pink. I believe there may have been more replies from Paz to other fans too. The person who uploaded these screenshots further wrote:

"I posted a screenshot below of my interaction. From what I remember she posted stories and subsequent posts defending him, and if I remember correctly I think she said she was with him in a hotel room when the Jan 6 insurrection was happening so he for sure wasn't involved?"

Presumably the association that people have mentioned already is regarding the Pixies merch.

And Javier Milei...

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/418095734190243843/1214284406328401981/F_d6INSW4AA8APo.png?ex=65f88d7a&is=65e6187a&hm=bf9da7914113a395ae87219e2184e3c679711ce996312402987a45eb08ba74a7&

I'm re-upping this for everyone curious about the t-shirt contest/Ariel Pink Instagram. As far as I've gathered, there were other posts/back-and-forwards with fans about Ariel Pink, but they were deleted/not-archived.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2024 :  12:57:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the strange/funny/ironic things about this whole weird episode is that that Ariel Pink wig in the contest isn't even good!

(Which I guess *could* suggest she simply wanted to get the Fox News "Musician Unfairly Cancelled After Capital..." caption/her praise for Ariel Pink as a person and musician out there in a "gee shucks" way...)
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
183 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2024 :  18:37:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure there are others on this forum who, like me, work alongside (and are close friends with) people who hold views that they find deeply offensive. This is part of life. I find the emphasis on this Ariel Pink guy's opinions - and Paz's guilt by association - to be misguided. Who cares what he thinks? Paz seems to be acting on the basis of friendship. She's sticking up for her friend. It doesn't seem political. Do her intentions matter? So he's some MAGA person. What difference does it make? I have a MAGA aunt living in Portland (of all places). I've fought with her plenty, over the years, but never over politics, because, luckily, we know better. Paz supports Milei: that guy is a libertarian. A different beast, politically. Not MAGA. And Milei was elected by 14.5 million people, so it's not like there's no one out there who agrees with Paz that he has some good ideas. Is supporting a candidate who won a recent election beyond the pale? I know some people on the internet say that supporting Milei is unacceptable. I think those people can go suck a lemon. What views has Paz personally, publicly affirmed that are so extreme? And how has this harmed the Pixies brand? I'm still unclear on what exactly has transpired that is so terrible. If you choose the people you will associate with based on their beliefs (even worse: based on their political beliefs) rather than based on their actions, you are making a serious error in judgment. You will find yourself surrounded by a bunch of assholes with whom you agree on the most crass and least dignified subject (politics); whereas, judging people based on their actions would instead surrounded you by decent people with whom you may occasionally deeply disagree. My best friend and I have totally opposite politics. It's fine. Politics is lame and vulgar and ugly. It's an inappropriate metric for judging most people, particularly those people who play an important role in your life and/or career.

Edited by - tamefan on 03/07/2024 19:10:49
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2024 :  18:58:13  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tame - this is art. I can’t believe this needs to be explained. It’s a leisure hobby, a dream for most, turned into a career. They succeeded by following their creative guts, dreams, ambitions, and literally bearing their souls and getting people to pay lots of money to experience someone else’s inner visions, someone else’s perspectives. Their deepest, deepest feelings, emotions, and raw artistic output.

If you are comparing this to, I don’t know, working with some corporate peers to implement a new process to increase efficiency, or maybe rolling out an enhanced product - sweet Jesus man, you and I have a cosmic gap, a fundamentally hardwired polar opposite perception of what music and art is… our perceptions of what is going on here could not possibly be further apart. Wow. I can work with MAGA Gary in IT on delivering a solution because both of us know we’ll lose everything by sharting out political opinions to our coworkers and the public on our company’s behalf, and neither one of us have a single bit of real passion about what we do. It could not possibly be more apples and oranges here dude.

Do you engage in soul searching creative endeavors with your MAGA aunt for significant portions of the year, the hit the road with her to communicate and sweat with people paying you to commune with them for months on end? Is your professional livelihood creative arts? What do you do?

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 03/07/2024 19:05:14
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
183 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2024 :  19:05:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I work in a profession that involves creativity and close collaboration with others but which is not typically thought of as creative work.

There's a simple hypothetical that clarifies the whole situation. Assume that Paz's statements had no negative effect on the Pixies brand. She posted whatever she posted on Instagram and the only person who really cared was Charles. It upset him, badly. Do you believe that it's reasonable (appropriate) for Charles to fire Paz for merely publicly expressing views that he finds abhorrent?
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2024 :  19:34:00  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tamefan

I work in a profession that involves creativity and close collaboration with others but which is not typically thought of as creative work.

There's a simple hypothetical that clarifies the whole situation. Assume that Paz's statements had no negative effect on the Pixies brand. She posted whatever she posted on Instagram and the only person who really cared was Charles. It upset him, badly. Do you believe that it's reasonable (appropriate) for Charles to fire Paz for merely publicly expressing views that he finds abhorrent?

The idea that “brand” is what’s at stake here is a creation of everyone’s external chatter. Brand might not matter at all. Charles might not have much of anything to do with it. Joe is very outspoken. Dave posted a video that I think speaks volumes. He put his hand in a bag of chips, a vice (you know, like social median shitposting of political opinions - definitely a vice for those that do it), got his hand whacked by a mousetrap, then said he can’t play anymore. What exactly do you think he was conveying with that? Charles hasn’t said a fucking thing about anything related to this, as far as I know. So what the fuck are you talking about?

Anyway, you completely misunderstood me, again. Which I get now (because you’ve misunderstood many things I’ve said about this). Here’s the deal. If I (the founding pixies) can’t fucking stand you (Paz) because you’ve shown me your ass (and don’t even pretend for a second there weren’t a ton of behind the scenes chats about this stuff), and I’m the goddamn boss or I’m on the 75% majority stakeholder side of the business that also can’t fucking stand you anymore, then you’re OUT. And that’s it. Welcome to the real world. You can say and do whatever you want, and you can lose your fucking job and friends and family over it. This ain’t the Care Bears man.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 03/07/2024 19:55:54
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
183 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2024 :  21:37:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not sure how I have misunderstood you. I apologize if I have done so, repeatedly, as you say. You seem to be saying that Charles has the freedom to fire Paz. That's true. Everyone seems to agree with that point (I'm not aware of anyone disputing it.) The issue that I have raised, and pressed, is whether or not it was reasonable, given what we currently know, and can imagine may or may not be the case, for Charles to have chosen to fire Paz. Based on what we currently know, I don't think firing Paz was justified. I've written at some length trying to explain my reasoning in as transparent a manner as possible and I have been happy to invite commentary and criticism. But I do not want to argue or descend into insults and so I will refrain from saying more unless additional information comes to light. I hope tomorrow's show is a success.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2024 :  22:21:39  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Agree with tamefan here so far. Paz having a friend that voted for Trump is absolutely not a reason to be fired. I can't believe anyone would suggest otherwise. Paz is clearly a cool, easygoing person, and nothing I've seen justifies hurting the band in this way as to get rid of a popular new member and contributing songwriter that the fans love and that the band seems to claim have revitalized them time and time again.

No one disagrees Charles has the "right" to do what he wants with his band, but we also have the "right" to be critical of his choices. I haven't seen anything from Paz that's actually offensive, hateful, or even suspicious. And it's also true what she says in that post: Ariel Pink WAS NOT at the January 6th event, and she has every right to say so, as it must be incredibly frustrating for her friend to be lied about over and over again. That he was at a Trump rally (not the one that turned into a riot) is certainly something people can find distasteful and horrible (I personally do), but again, why this should lead to Paz's firing is beyond me.

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 03/07/2024 22:24:11
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2024 :  23:14:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be clear, we do not know why she was fired. We can speculate all we want, but until Paz or the band confirms what happened we are all guessing and creating/building up narratives that we think make sense. That’s all.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2024 :  23:24:49  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

To be clear, we do not know why she was fired. We can speculate all we want, but until Paz or the band confirms what happened we are all guessing and creating/building up narratives that we think make sense. That’s all.

This.

And not sure why Charles should be the big bad guy if it all is true. Do we know he was responsible for the break? When Kim S. was sacked it was mainly because David had problems with her playing. And I remember that Joey (who wanted Paz in the first place) was also very vocal in interviews that Kim S. was not a member.

And management could also have a big rol in it. We don't know.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2024 :  00:02:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well nature abhors a vacuum so you know maybe the Pixies should say something about it. All they are doing is postponing the moment when they do talk about it. The topic is going to come up in interviews, unless they are going to stop those as well, which would be strange given they are just starting a big tour.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2024 :  00:22:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

This.

And not sure why Charles should be the big bad guy if it all is true. Do we know he was responsible for the break? When Kim S. was sacked it was mainly because David had problems with her playing. And I remember that Joey (who wanted Paz in the first place) was also very vocal in interviews that Kim S. was not a member.

And management could also have a big rol in it. We don't know.

Exactly. I remember Kim S, despite her obvious disappointment about how things had gone, spoke highly of Charles and how he'd tried to make her feel welcome.

Would be surprised if there were any interviews in the next month at least (the Bossanova/Trompe shows have sold out!).

Edited by - Ziggy on 03/08/2024 00:53:38
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2024 :  00:47:09  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Paz did confirm it though. In a tweet. I linked to a screenshot of it on reddit on the last page.

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2024 :  02:32:20  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

Paz did confirm it though. In a tweet. I linked to a screenshot of it on reddit on the last page.

seems to be gone?

Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2024 :  03:48:50  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Still there: https://www.reddit.com/r/thepixies/s/KfnLE0jkzr

Go to Top of Page

rivum
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2024 :  04:26:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think it's possible that the firing may have to do with paz bringing pixies into the discussion about ariel pink by offering a 'pixies official' tshirt.
there's a larger association of the pixies with paz's friendship with ariel pink when that happens and maybe that's what charles didn't like?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2024 :  04:27:52  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh yes, I see...she was probably fired. Thanks for the link

Still not sure why and if FBF was the one who did it

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2024 :  04:38:21  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
1993 Frank ends the Pixies
2003 Pixies talk about reuniting (yeah, feb 2024 was the first official report)
2013 Kim walks out during IC (probably 2012, Kim S and Paz joined in 2013)
2023 Paz is fired

Not sure they will make it to 2033

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2024 :  05:46:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Pixies may not have interviews scheduled during the tour, but surely any time someone "in media" sees Paz they are going to ask her about this, especially as she promotes her new endeavors
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2024 :  07:25:25  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ariel Pink doesn't give a shit and he'll probably be the one to tell all about this. He's kind of nuts.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2024 :  10:24:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

2023 Paz is fired

In 2033 they'll be nearing 70!

Edited by - Brank_Flack on 03/08/2024 12:57:02
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2024 :  10:47:48  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was just thinking I probably don’t need to hear a 70 year old screaming about growing up to be a Debaser or apin', rapin', and tapin'

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 03/08/2024 10:48:13
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2024 :  11:40:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

2023 Paz is fired

Pray for the girls
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2024 :  13:37:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was just thinking I probably don’t need to hear a 70 year old screaming about growing up to be a Debaser

--Good point. It's not for me to coach the Rolling Stones on how to manage their career but I thought for sure they'd retire when Charlie Watts died. I could be wrong but I don't see Pxies playing Vamos in their 70s but who knows.

---As for Paz and comments above. To me the Pixies will always be the original four. I can appreciate them soldiering on without Kim but it just never felt the same, perhaps a large part of this because the Pixies abruptly ended and didn't evolve further on as Frank's songwriting did with his solo/Catholics material.

---As for politics and her firing it certainly seems like it as a factor, was it the only one? Who knows. I'd never heard of Ariel Pink, the name makes me think of a lingerie model.

---And for politics, from my perspective the Republicans and Democrats are quarreling brothers but part of the same family, the family of Big Money. I'm sure there's some good people in govt but I think it's a corrupt shitshow, filled with people who say things their followers want to hear but don't give a single flying fuck about any of them.

---I'm glad I got to see two Pixies shows on the original reunion tour and saw the Catholics a good number of times.

Peace!
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2024 :  17:36:12  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arm Arm Arm

quote:

I was just thinking I probably don’t need to hear a 70 year old screaming about growing up to be a Debaser

---I'm glad I got to see two Pixies shows on the original reunion tour and saw the Catholics a good number of times.

Peace!

Same. Seeing them on the OG reunion tour was non-negotiable for me and I drove several hours to do it. At the time nobody knew if/when it would abruptly stop again. And catching the Catholics my one and only time 2003 at the Belly Up in Solana Beach was absolutely epic and high, high up on my all time list of favorite shows I’ve attended. Thank god I went, and thank god I COULD go. I was in the Navy in training at the time in San Diego and any number of factors could have prevented me from being able to get up there. Including not having a car at the time. Somehow we talked someone into schleping me and a fellow FB fan up there. Although he got shitfaced and I had to drive his car back. Wasn’t exactly on the up and up myself but a lot better than him. Sorry - off topic but figured I’d share.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 03/10/2024 17:37:54
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2024 :  19:24:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Arm Arm Arm

quote:

Peace!

Very cool. Fellow Navy man here as well. Was stationed in SD for 4 years at the Point Loma Sub Base. Wasn’t lucky enough to see FB&Cs them though. Did get to see Elliott Smith there though, RIP.

Same. Seeing them on the OG reunion tour was non-negotiable for me and I drove several hours to do it. At the time nobody knew if/when it would abruptly stop again. And catching the Catholics my one and only time 2003 at the Belly Up in Solana Beach was absolutely epic and high, high up on my all time list of favorite shows I’ve attended. Thank god I went, and thank god I COULD go. I was in the Navy in training at the time in San Diego and any number of factors could have prevented me from being able to get up there. Including not having a car at the time. Somehow we talked someone into schleping me and a fellow FB fan up there. Although he got shitfaced and I had to drive his car back. Wasn’t exactly on the up and up myself but a lot better than him. Sorry - off topic but figured I’d share.

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2024 :  20:32:31  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

And management could also have a big role in it. We don't know.

If it's a woke firing then that usually means it's coming from higher up or lower down
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1107 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2024 :  09:28:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there were rumours
she was into field hockey players
there were rumours
she was gone the next day
it's like
she was g
they just like
it was like so hush hush
they were so quiet about it

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2024 :  10:45:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haven’t heard much about Paz (or her absence) or Emma being an issue either way. Seems smooth so far
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1107 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2024 :  14:27:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no paz, no deal

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2024 :  17:17:57  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just find Emma a bit too manly - I mean I guess in this day and age of wokeness you can't say that - or can I ? there is nothing wrong with manly women and vice versa (despite my criticism of "wokism" which makes me appear to be a far right wing hatemonger I have always and still do argue against some of the anti-trans rhetoric I hear from many people I have lately found myself in agreement with on other things) not that I'm saying Emma is trans here I'm just saying she's a big tall lass and now she has short hair and so naturally appears more masculine than most former Pixies' bassists
It's a band called "the Pixies" with the only 3 remaining alumni who are male and now approaching pension age - so they sack the only member who has any vague resemblance to an actual "pixie" and replace her with a giant version of Ellen DeGeneres
Seriously though I bet she's going to turn out to be a good addition to the band and might churn out one album of decent stuff with them ?
No stage diving though I'm guessing is still off the table
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2024 :  17:27:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is Emma the first Pixie with a pixie?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2024 :  17:32:23  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Is Emma the first Pixie with a pixie?

She's got a real pixie? I thought technically they didn't exist - unless you mean she has a little girl which sometimes they can look a bit like pixies
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000