-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 Paz leaves band, Emma Richardson joins on bass
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2024 :  12:58:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

How were they able to keep this quiet for so long?



Well, they arenít really out in the public eye like other celebrities and bands. Probably just not saying anything is all it took. Might have been holding out hope for a potential reconciliation, particularly on Pazís side.



I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.




The whole Pixies machine is a pretty slick operation. Let's not forget even the 2012 Rockfield sessions weren't widely picked up on. Only giveaways that some kind of recording was happening were band members' own social media etc

Edited by - Ziggy on 03/06/2024 13:27:23
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
183 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2024 :  14:37:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jake3

I agree with Discoking. The band don't owe us anything. We're talking about a rock band here. I think it's well worth remembering what Frank said about Kim Shattuck's dismissal:

"The big question mark is, if it was going so well, why are you changing it up again? I guess itís a fair question, but what I would say is, just because some shows went well or a recording session went well with somebody, that doesnít mean that now you guys are married and this is forever. Itís not really how it works when youíre a band. And itís hard to explain to people, especially if they get emotionally attached to one personÖ Frankly, you donít want to explain it to anybody Ė itís a lot of its personal, private shit. Itís like politics and sports and peopleís personal lives have all been smeared together in this modern world. Itís a very presumptuous attitude about a lot of things. [People say] ďOh youíre shifting something in your world ó we demand a statement as to why.í Iím not the mayor, this isnít the bus service for a town. This is a rock band. Thereís been a shift in the lineup, big woop-dee-dooÖ as far as weíre concerned it ainít that big of a deal."

It's none of our business really. I think some people have a hard time respecting that. The band have wished her the best and she's done likewise.



It's true that Charles doesn't owe us, his fans, anything. We're no judge or jury. Unfortunately for Charles, we now know enough about the circumstances to raise the issue of what Charles (and David and Joey) owed Paz, and whether or not her firing was reasonable, taking into consideration her actions, his and the band's duties, as well as the views of his bandmates and the interests of the band, itself. In fairness to Charles (and David and Joey) it's possible that revealing all of the facts would make his (or their) decision seem entirely justified. That's not going to happen, however, and based on what we do know, I am going to judge him (and, to a lesser degree, them), whether he thinks I should or not.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2024 :  14:44:56  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WellÖ my take on it is, if you fundamentally canít abide by someoneís opinions and beliefs, how the hell can you be in a band with them? Letís take it more off the rails for an example.

This is slippery slope logic but itís 100% relevant. If I was in a band, and if I were the original leader, or even an original founder but not the ďleader,Ē (btw Iím willing to bet the farm the 3 boys are on the same page here), and our newer member whom weíd worked with professionally and respected for many years, suddenly turned out to be a flat earther and demanded that we read Mein Kampf and discuss its great merits, how long would it take for me to not be able to make music, the thing I not only love but is also my livelihood, with them under any circumstances?

For me, that answer is essentially no time at all. Fundamental disagreements on your perception of right and wrong are part of life and absolutely just cause to lose your job, particularly in a company with 4 people working there and one of them is the founder, CEO, and majority stockholder.


I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
183 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2024 :  14:55:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's no doubt in my mind that values conflicts can rip a band apart. The question is whether a values conflict arose between Paz and Charles (and perhaps the others) that was so severe that it warranted firing her. How likely is it that Paz is some secret nazi? How likely is it that she was harassing the boys to read Mein Kampf? It's not very likely. Paz has an agreeable personality. How much evidence exists that she's hard to work with due to her politics? Now, ask the same question about Charles. He wrote, recorded, and thought it was a good idea to release, "Die! Die! Die!" The band then decided to omit the reason why she was fired (and presumably timed the announcement to minimize publicity). Why? I infer from this that the band knows the facts aren't on their side. If Paz had been bringing copies of Mein Kampf to the studio, why wouldn't the band tell us that was partly the reason for firing her?

Whatever the facts of the matter, Charles might still be unable to continue working with Paz. If her views, however major or minor, however present or absent in her daily and working life, were such that Charles could no longer be in a band with her, that's an unavoidable fact. It's also completely unreasonable. Let's imagine an alternative hypothetical: a scenario where Charles, locked up during Covid, doomscrolling about MAGAts, has become so politics-brained, so obsessive, so hot-headed, that he's unwilling to make a reasonable effort to reconcile for the sake of the band, and out of some obligation to her, and perhaps also to respect the wishes of his bandmates (who may have believed firing Paz was unjust). It's not hard to imagine a possible scenario where Charles is unable to work with Paz because Charles is unwilling to make reasonable efforts to reconcile & be tolerant.

That's what it boils down to. Assuming it's true that Charles couldn't work with Paz because of her political views, how likely is it that Paz's views were so abhorrent and/or so intrusive either into her life or her work, that Charles was right to fire her? If you think she can be reasonably fired merely for holding views that Charles finds abhorrent, what about the fact that she's been in the band for a decade, has recorded many great albums, has toured dutifully, appears to be highly agreeable, and may even attempt and prefer to conceal her personal views and moral values. It's not like we have a pattern of public statements by Paz on highly controversial political issues. Hypothetically, at what point do any of those factors overwhelm Charles' prerogative to behave like the dictator of the band (he doesn't owe us, or her, his colleague of over a decade, anything! she went to an ariel pink concert! so, now he can't stand working with her - too bad, suck it up!)? If none of those factors matter, if Charles can still do whatever he wants, do you really think Paz would have agreed to join the band initially, knowing that at no future point, even after a decade, no matter the quality of her work, could she expect to acquire any security from being fired over a political disagreement?

Reasonable people expect to forge bonds of loyalty over time. When you're loyal to someone, you try to resolve conflicts in a way that's mutually agreeable. You don't unilaterally burn bridges. You give them some allowances for fk ups, you try to see things from their point of view, and you try to give them the benefit of the doubt and forgive them over misgivings. Pixies isn't a new band, Paz isn't about to start The Breeders 2.0. She's 50. The band-members probably put a big share of their tour money into retirement funds. All of these factors are relevant to whether what Charles did was reasonable. Is it really fair that Charles shows loyalty to Joey and David, and previously, to Kim, when he invited her back, but doesn't show loyalty to Paz. Why? Because she wasn't a founding member? Is that fair? She's been in the band for over a decade. She's recorded 3 or 4 albums. She's credited with writing the second highest number of Pixies songs after Charles. But she doesn't get the same loyalty as everyone else because she isn't a founding member? I don't believe it. I'm more inclined to believe that the reason Charles declined to show Paz the same loyalty he shows the others is because he found her views abhorrent and he wasn't willing to work it out with her.

Edited by - tamefan on 03/06/2024 16:14:09
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2024 :  15:44:46  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WellÖ I mean I said slippery slope here. It wouldnít take much for me in terms of fundamental human rights and moral disagreement for me to tell a band member to fuck right on off if it were my band. And that would be my prerogative. I donít think thatís how it really went down. And again - I told you I was setting up a hyperbolic strawman. I didnít say she was a nazi. Was just trying to take it to a point of undeniably. I like Paz. My daughterís name is Paz. Iím just saying, if you donít get along with someone, fuck it. Itís pretty straightforward to me. Especially if weíre talking about an highly expendable member of a band. I donít think itís that big of a deal. And I donít think itís just Charles either. In fact, Iíd bet actual money itís not just Charles.


I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
183 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2024 :  15:52:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might be right. I'm not directing my thoughts at anyone in particular, just sorting them out by articulating them in writing. If I sound upset, I am: at the situation (Pixies will never recover, imo), at the timing (2 days until the tour), at David and Joey (cowards, I suspect), and, most of all, at Charles. One of those Reddit accounts that speculated 2 months ago about Paz's departure, and which claims to have "first-hand knowledge," posted this yesterday:

"she can say whatever she wants but needs to be prepared for people to push back, including her ex band mates"

I hope they do. I hope they were justified. It's the least-worst possible outcome, at this stage. Come on, lads: tell us why you fired Paz and tell us why it was the right thing to do.

Here's the post: https://www.reddit.com/r/thepixies/comments/1b7lub0/dear_paz/ktjkhtx/

Edited by - tamefan on 03/06/2024 15:53:59
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1228 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2024 :  15:57:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You think Paz is highly expendable? Or am I misreading you? I'd say she saved and re-energised them. Sure weren't they always banging on about how great she is.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2024 :  16:05:31  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Again, I think Paz is great. Her contributions over the years were obvious and undeniable. My daughterís name is Paz. i also think sheís highly expendable. I have no doubt the Pixies would have churned out pretty much equally solid material without her. It would have been different obviously. But now weíre in parallel universe territory.

I mean, Iíll try to make it even clearer from my perspective. If I had a band, and the bass player I hired to play on latter day albums after our original Beatles Salad days started taking my brand into a territory I find abhorrent, Iíd say ďthereís the fucking door, champ. Thanks for the laughs but this shit is a hard no.Ē I mean, literally nothing else matters beyond that. Thatís it, and thatís all. And none of us even really know if thatís what happened, but if it is, Iím on board. If others arenít, super groovy as well.

Since when are bands beholden to some kind of loyalty rules or anything whatsoever? Every band ever either broke up and or replaced band members for various reasons or just died off one way or another. Where does the sacred part come in?

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 03/06/2024 17:11:24
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
183 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2024 :  16:07:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paz followed me on Twitter, so I sent her a link to this forum. She might enjoy reading some of our commentary from over the years. I dunno. People find closure in different ways. Just thought it couldn't hurt to let her know that this place exists.

Edit: The first person to ever retweet my first Twitter account was Charles. Lol. Iirc, it was back in 2014 after I saw them at Massey Hall in Toronto. I complemented a 3-song sequence from the setlist and Charles RT'd it.

Edited by - tamefan on 03/06/2024 16:09:23
Go to Top of Page

Ecto
- FB Fan -

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2024 :  16:28:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Sprite

Frank has now lost two wives and two *essential* female band members. He'll always be my muscial hero but those are not good statistics.

Wait, TWO wives? Did Charles and Violet split? No more Grand Duchy?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2966 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2024 :  16:47:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Los Surfers Muertos is still my favorite 2.0 song, largely due to Joey, but Pazí story and vocals are great

I think Paz was the truest Pixie 2.0 you could hope for (though Iím rooting for Emma)

To whoever said they were Blown Away, Iíll just add that these have been some Black Letter Days for sure
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2024 :  17:27:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unrelated to the drama of it all, and making the big assumption that Emma is going to be a part of the band's recording life...

I listened to Band of Skulls, and it's....fine. Pretty conventional though. Someone else mentioned she was probably a Dalgety rec. I fear this will be another step toward boxing the Pixies, turning them into a predictable Dalgety "rock band."

To argue with myself, maybe she would nudge them toward leaning into the darker or edgier material in the catalogue. While I agree she'll probably be a stronger vocalist than Paz, Paz definitely seemed to understand/embody the spirit of the Pixies in a way that Dalgety doesn't (IMO), down to being a literal surfer.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
912 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2024 :  17:43:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tamefan

You might be right. I'm not directing my thoughts at anyone in particular, just sorting them out by articulating them in writing. If I sound upset, I am: at the situation (Pixies will never recover, imo), at the timing (2 days until the tour), at David and Joey (cowards, I suspect), and, most of all, at Charles. One of those Reddit accounts that speculated 2 months ago about Paz's departure, and which claims to have "first-hand knowledge," posted this yesterday:

"she can say whatever she wants but needs to be prepared for people to push back, including her ex band mates"

I hope they do. I hope they were justified. It's the least-worst possible outcome, at this stage. Come on, lads: tell us why you fired Paz and tell us why it was the right thing to do.

Here's the post: https://www.reddit.com/r/thepixies/comments/1b7lub0/dear_paz/ktjkhtx/



The reddit poster could be full of shit, but here are some other posts of his/hers:

she was kicked out

ariel pink post

its not a probably, it is right!

i first hand know she was fired last year.

she was fired after the ariel pink post before the holidays last year. not going to reveal much else and dont really care if you believe it or dont. but it is the truth.

leaving out he has multiple abuse allegations, was at jan 6 to see trump.... as if the pixies wanna wreck their multi decade money machine for paz to go on a rant about a shitty person/ musician

they fired her at the end of last year

Edited by - Brank_Flack on 03/07/2024 07:20:13
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2024 :  18:17:55  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now Iím confused. Whatís this new conspiracy theory?


I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1108 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2024 :  22:59:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and do we know exactly what paz has posted about ariel pink? this person on reddit mentions a "rant"?

is it just the "costume vote" thing? or was there more?


it's educational

Edited by - Discoking on 03/06/2024 23:33:37
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
183 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2024 :  23:37:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
to be honest, I don't even know who Ariel Pink is (even now, I haven't bothered to look him up). the whole theory that Paz somehow tarnished the Pixies brand by apparently expressing support for this person is laughable on its face. he's a nobody; there was never any controversy; nobody even knows which Instagram (I presume?) posts are at issue. What's happening now is a classic case of the Streisand Effect. personally, I don't buy the theory at all - there's no evidence Paz harmed the Pixies brand with any of her statements. what happened is that she said something that implied she holds views that Charles finds distasteful and that somehow escalated into him firing her
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
819 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2024 :  23:42:54  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ariel Pink is a very popular, successful musician, who quite infamously got in trouble for supporting Trump. He's not a nobody, really. I know people who are huge fans of him, and his name is constantly coming up. Maybe he's kind of niche but hardly a nobody. Huge in the alternative music scene, and a huge topic of conversation due to his politics and strange personality.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1108 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2024 :  23:52:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tamefan

to be honest, I don't even know who Ariel Pink is


same


it's educational
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
183 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2024 :  23:55:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

Ariel Pink is a very popular, successful musician, who quite infamously got in trouble for supporting Trump. He's not a nobody, really. I know people who are huge fans of him, and his name is constantly coming up. Maybe he's kind of niche but hardly a nobody. Huge in the alternative music scene, and a huge topic of conversation due to his politics and strange personality.



he replied to me on twitter. he has 18k followers. that's nothing. apparently paz said something about him? it generated no interest. because he's a nobody.
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
183 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2024 :  00:18:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"paz hurt the pixies brand due to her endorsement of some random guy who has almost zero name recognition"

also! no one noticed and no one cared; meanwhile, pixies sell-out dozens of tour dates, through june, including some shows later into that month, and will probably sell out every date on their upcoming tour

if paz did such a faux pas, shouldn't we have had a thread back in november at the time discussing it? why wasn't it on our radar? we pay closer attention to this band than anyone else and even we didn't notice, because it wasn't notable

?make it make sense?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2024 :  00:23:34  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

Ariel Pink is a very popular, successful musician, who quite infamously got in trouble for supporting Trump. He's not a nobody, really. I know people who are huge fans of him, and his name is constantly coming up. Maybe he's kind of niche but hardly a nobody. Huge in the alternative music scene, and a huge topic of conversation due to his politics and strange personality.



This is true. He's somebody. A good friend and collaborator of R. Stevie Moore, who has worked with Frank too.

Ariel Pink was also accused of other things in the private area, I believe. I think it's great to defend a friend, not sure if I would defend him. I remember thinking that when I scrolled through Paz'messages. Why would you want to be associated with him? Same thing with that new Argentinian president. I was a bit surprised when I saw her post. No dealbreaker for me, but surprised. Maybe that's exactly what the Pixies or their manager didn't want.

We still don't know for sure it's only about some social media posts. They have spend a lot of time together on the road and living together in the studio.

I do think it's a little tragedy, because I sincerely believe Paz is harder to replace than Kim Deal. It was obvious that she wanted to be a nostalgia act and her heart was more in the Breeders. I can totally understand that. Pixies with Kim = Doolittle again and again. Pixies with PAz = Doolittle again + new records. I'm more interested in the latter.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?

Edited by - billgoodman on 03/07/2024 00:23:57
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2024 :  01:26:50  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tamefan


if paz did such a faux pas, shouldn't we have had a thread back in november at the time discussing it? why wasn't it on our radar? we pay closer attention to this band than anyone else and even we didn't notice, because it wasn't notable

?make it make sense?




I noticed it, thought it was weird, but forgot about it. My attention span isn't that long. And because I don't really care about her personal views and if I do, I tend to like the way she speaks in interviews about life in general. There was a surfer podcast last year, I think, and I know next to nothing about surfing, but Paz was great to listen to.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1075 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2024 :  01:46:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

[quote]Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

Ariel Pink is a very popular, successful musician, who quite infamously got in trouble for supporting Trump. He's not a nobody, really. I know people who are huge fans of him, and his name is constantly coming up. Maybe he's kind of niche but hardly a nobody. Huge in the alternative music scene, and a huge topic of conversation due to his politics and strange personality.



This is true. He's somebody. A good friend and collaborator of R. Stevie Moore, who has worked with Frank too

_______________________

I tried listening to their album they did together called 'Ku Klux Glam' when I was checking out R Stevie Moore's music a while back but I felt a bit dirty listening to it just with the title alone. Sure, maybe that's the intention but for me it lacks the irony to come across as fun or witty.

I recall Ariel Pink being a kind of celebrated poster boy for Pitchfork in the 2010s - they loved the nonsense he would spout in interviews, he was perfect clickbait. And it was a bonus his music was pretty good.

Times and Pitchfork have seemingly moved on, though it doesn't seem like he has. I've read that his ex collaborators said that he would say things he did not mean and not say things he wanted to along with having a reliance on acid / substances - alluding him to be some sort of tragic misunderstood genius.

Whether that's the case or not who knows and Paz has seemingly known him for a very long time. However, I'm surprised no one would have informed him of the stuff he was saying over the years could be considered inappropriate or having some semblance of self awareness to recognise the potential impact on his own career at the very least.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1228 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2024 :  01:55:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with tamefan, I had heard of Ariel Pink but just as one of those obscure artists on Pitchfork, Soundcloud, indie blogs. A mini vesion of Kevin Parker (Tame Impala). I've listended a couple of times. Nothing of interest for me. I would consider both artists as tres niche. Even though I get that Tame Impala are big enough to headline a certain type of music festival.

I dont think there is a big overlap between Pixies and Ariel Pink fans. And more people know about him now than before (albeit still small numbers in absolute terms because even the Pixies are a bit niche).
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2024 :  01:59:14  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ku Klux Glam was pretty awful. Pink and Moore both are very into connecting with their inner 14 year old. Which can be quite fun of course.

Tame Impala is huge here in the Netherlands, btw. Bigger than the Pixies.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2024 :  02:00:00  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10


Whether that's the case or not who knows and Paz has seemingly known him for a very long time. However, I'm surprised no one would have informed him of the stuff he was saying over the years could be considered inappropriate or having some semblance of self awareness to recognise the potential impact on his own career at the very least.



Yes, not only his career but Paz' career too.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2024 :  03:40:13  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Paz confirmed it in a tweet. She deleted all the Instagram posts and commentary with others. This tweet exchange, which I assume is her, backs up the story. ďAnd where there is fire theyíre fired.Ē https://www.reddit.com/r/thepixies/s/7qWsB95hI7


I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2024 :  06:14:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, it seems clearer. Let's not forget Pixies is now a band of men in their 60's and 2 of them are fathers. And we're in 2024 where confusion of social media and mostly media, rule. Let's face that it could be hard for them to deal with many contemporary challenges these days. It's already hard for us, mere listenners ( and fathers for some, too) in our 40's or 50's. So let's keep preciously dignity in this forum, and forgive the silly far righters and conservative rich progressists. We're all in the gutter but some of us did watch the Stars. Long live Pixies and former female members!Thank you for the music and the Neil Young covers! ;)

++++
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2024 :  06:50:56  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Clutching at straws here....but could this be a guerrilla campaign to inject some energy into this forum?



I can neither confirm nor deny.


"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."



Wow, I haven't seen you in ages, Dean!

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?



Still lurking in the shadows, Jop! Someone's gotta make sure the lights stay on. :)

I was watching this thread in part looking for answers myself and in part because it is entertaining. Not to mention forums are still my preferred means of online discourse rather than comments on FB.

It is entertaining how many tales can be spun on the thinnest of threads... and then those tales can lead to anger, disappointment, and essentially a host of negative feelings while we all forget that it was a story, a theory in the first place. I say that as someone that has definitely done this in other situations that I was closer to and caught it well on the way to writing off the person that I believed had wronged me.

I wonder what this says about us all.


"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2024 :  06:52:06  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

quote:
Originally posted by TheScooper



"but it looks like they have a solid plan figured out"

^ that part of Paz's statement makes me think it has something to do with either the recent recording sessions, or the tour schedule.

The whole thing does feel very mysterious, though, given how respected she seemed to be within the band musically.



This! This is what gets me too. She added:

"which in turn has pushed me to move onwards onto new projects that I am excited about"

This could still mean that she decided on her own to search for some other musical projects that differ from Pixies "solid plan". The break up could be more mutual than we think.

You can also be surprised that you choose to walk away from a situation.

Given the fact that they sacked Kim S. and were about to sack Kim D. after Doolittle, it's not surprising they sacked Paz. If they sacked her. Still not sure.


---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?



Totally.


"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
819 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2024 :  09:19:22  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Possibly a tangent about Ariel Pink: to ME, he seems very popular and successful, perhaps less so since Trump happened, but I have to say:

I absolutely cannot STAND his music. On a deep, visceral level. His music actually gives me a headache. His music actually gives me stress and anxiety. It's two things, his mixing style (everything sounds like SHIT with horrible frequencies hurting my ears), and his songwriting style, which often sounds rushed, confused, with annoying commercial jingle melodies that are incredibly irritating.

I have never been able to talk about this with anyone.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1228 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2024 :  09:22:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot



I absolutely cannot STAND his music. On a deep, visceral level. His music actually gives me a headache. His music actually gives me stress and anxiety. It's two things, his mixing style (everything sounds like SHIT with horrible frequencies hurting my ears), and his songwriting style, which often sounds rushed, confused, with annoying commercial jingle melodies that are incredibly irritating.

I have never been able to talk about this with anyone.



That's a bit like your Doggerel review [Just kidding]
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
819 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2024 :  09:59:12  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like Doggerel...but what I don't like about it is that I don't love it.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2024 :  10:34:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah Ariel Pink is very well-known for his music and now his idiocy. Pom Pom had some nice catchy songs but can't say I've listened to anything else he did.

Paz has shot herself in the foot here completely and I'm not too surprised the band have done what they've done. Also, why was she even doing a t-shirt competition in the first place? Bizarre.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
912 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2024 :  11:14:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to join the never-liked-Ariel-Pink train (who was, indeed, a well known artist in 2010s indie circles). My younger brother was into him, but I never saw the appeal - I'm aware his music is dripping in post-modern irony, but that can only take you so far. Now, his Jan 6 buddy John Maus, on the other hand is a completely different story and actually succeeds at walking the line between schtick and well crafted and produced music.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000