Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2022 :  07:02:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't seem to find it, but I can swear that there was a (Rolling Stone?) video of the Pixies performing Um Chugga Lugga and O Little Cloud with acoustic instruments. I think Paz played violin on the latter. Am I crazy?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2022 :  07:47:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brank I hope you’re not crazy because that sounds terrific

I have only heard the demo of Cloud and think it’s superb, would love to hear more
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2022 :  08:13:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This article says they have played down to tulom live. Does anyone have a link?

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/see-pixies-play-planet-of-sound-new-song-um-chagga-lagga-36024/
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2022 :  09:09:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't remember Tulon being played at the time. I think I must have imagined/misremembered O Little Cloud...
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2022 :  14:22:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

I can't seem to find it, but I can swear that there was a (Rolling Stone?) video of the Pixies performing Um Chugga Lugga and O Little Cloud with acoustic instruments. I think Paz played violin on the latter. Am I crazy?

Think you may be referencing the Rolling Stone performance where they did Um Chagga and Planet of Sound. Really fun
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2022 :  16:49:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

quote:

Think you may be referencing the Rolling Stone performance where they did Um Chagga and Planet of Sound. Really fun

Yes, that must be it. My memory went from Frank suggesting they play Tulon, to somehow imagining they played O Little Cloud. Too bad, that would have been great!
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2022 :  21:48:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

Alice Prin was for Indie Cindy

Here's the thread with a lot more songs:
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20919

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?

Yes, thought so. I know the demo was in circulation at one point (along with a totally different arrangement of 'Blue Eyed Hexe')
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2022 :  02:25:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the RS article

“Beginning last fall, the group began woodshedding about 11 new tunes with titles like “Super Lecker,” “O’ Little Cloud” and “Down to Tulom,” some of which they’re test-driving on their current trek.”

Have we come up with all 11 titles?
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2022 :  04:33:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

If someone has the time, you can shift through the 400+ titles here:https://repertoire.bmi.com/Search/Search?Main_Search_Text=Charles%20Thompson%20michael&Main_Search=Catalog&Search_Type=all&View_Count=20&Page_Number=1&Part_Type=WriterList&Part_Id=CbxQZOBJglMSZyahenTXww%253d%253d&Part_Id_Sub=YO0HedHMatLb45JzS23DVw%253d%253d&Part_Cae=YrwdbHMdO0nTu95wj%252f4qtQ%253d%253d&Original_Search=Writer%2FComposer

Had a look and these stand out as having not been released, haven't included any from BTE demos;

Under the Rice and Beans publisher;

Alice Prin
Banks of the Drain
Land of Green
Last Night the Wolves came out
O Little Cloud
Pickerel Picker
Rats Alice
Tranquilize Me

Thinking these will be the demos done with Jeremy Dubs before Kim left as it is under the old Rice and Beans publisher. The others are under Lone Child publisher so probably between Indie Cindie and Head Carrier;

American Rhyme
Bogman
Down in Toulon
I Like to Drive
Screw Pine
Super Lecker

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2022 :  04:35:34  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wow, thanks!

Bogman is Long Rider (in the BTE vinyl, in the centre on the wax itself,g it reads: Bogman finally escaped)

I've have updated the first post. With a little bit of info from this interview:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kXUxUe4Pkg&fbclid=IwAR0R7AlhOzKWcXfoiwa6QcUAAUxWogz6oN7hGDYAijV7zzsGuHvfyMDSvkM

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2022 :  04:55:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of all the songs on BTE that could have been originally titled Bogman I would not have guessed Long Rider

And I still want to hear a song called Bogman
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2022 :  05:02:04  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Of all the songs on BTE that could have been originally titled Bogman I would not have guessed Long Rider

And I still want to hear a song called Bogman

They are talking about it on the podcast (during the making of BTE)
"That is so Bogman" is one of the quotes.

Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2022 :  13:45:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Best I can find is Snakes and Silver Snail. But damn they're good.

https://youtu.be/yWZeomzkCaU

https://youtu.be/OcFHOGZ-6aM
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2022 :  19:57:39  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not sure how this will go down here, but I’m into a tremendous spectrum of music. I can spend a week listening to nothing but 40s jump blues and R&B and Andrews Sisters and follow it up with a week of deep dives on live Starless era live King Crimson with some Rainbow Children era Prince and Aaron Lee Tasjan sprinkled in and be basically a pig in shit, so with that in mind…

I’m a big fan of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Nothing about what they did after John Frusciante left the second time did a damn thing for me. I need a little blue pill to even bat an eye at The Getaway. But since Johnny came back into the fold, it’s an embarrassment of riches as far as I’m concerned. They got together for a couple years, then called Rick Ruben and showed up at Shangri-La with literally 50 songs - and maybe half weren’t fully finished who knows- but what those guys went in and laid down is absolutely phenomenal.

They got together with Rick in a great space, Rick did his ‘set it up and get the hell out of the way’ thing, and they laid down exactly what they laid down. Put the band in the room and let them go. They extracted Unlimited Love from that, then extracted Dream Canteen, and holy cow, what a result. UL is great. Dream Canteen is a psychedelic masterpiece.

The Peppers have exemplified, to me, the pinnacle of an 80s-90s band that is 100% comfortable being exactly what they are in the moment and not caring at all what it means to anyone but themselves. They’re the only big band from their era that keeps pulling it off with ease.

Pixies struggled, famously. Doggerel is the closest they’ve gotten to this, but man. I look at RHCP and what they have going now, and I’m like, shit… Charles has songs falling out of his ass and here they are trying to craft these ideal things…

What do I want out of Number 9? Anyone here that’s read my posts over the years knows, but I’ll say it yet again. I want a Rick Ruben to set the mics up and let this band run wild and free with whatever the fuck they got, record it all neutrally with a little natural room sound, and then put it all out. I want a “Pixies” White Album. They’re ripe for it. Joey can write, Paz can write and sing, Charles can bring enough songs to choke a donkey, and let Dave/Ringo do a couple Don’t Pass Me By’s.

Let’s do it. Get Rick Ruben on the horn.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2022 :  22:03:46  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Rick Rubin produced some of the most bland Weezer songs and that's saying a lot

Still, I like your idea. Dave could do some vague synth stuff, Paz too

Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2022 :  04:13:42  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Rick Rubin produced some of the most bland Weezer songs and that's saying a lot

Still, I like your idea. Dave could do some vague synth stuff, Paz too

Well, comparing Weezer to FBF is like comparing what my dog did in the back yard this morning to the sistine chapel.

Ps I know you’re not “comparing,” just seemed like a good opportunity to take a shot at Weezer.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 10/22/2022 04:36:49
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2022 :  07:03:45  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I love Weezer
Just hate most of their albums
And since Rivers Cuomo put all his demos for sale all has been forgiving

Rick Rubin and Pixies could work
Not sure

I would love a direct to two track with Nick Vincent

Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2022 :  14:33:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got around to reading the Under the Radar interview with Joey. There's a couple of Album #9 tidbits

Q Has that opened some sort of pandora’s box of a desire on future albums to do more co-writing?
A Well, you know, when the band went to Wales after the BBC 6 Festival in April [2022], we went to Rockfield Studios and recorded three of my ideas on there. Yeah, it’s fun to get that vibe that I want.

Q You seem to be having fun making music and playing together again. Have you talked about a follow-up album yet and would some of the additional material from this album possibly get carried over?
ASome might get carried over and we have recorded so far about seven or eight demos for the next album. There will be a ninth album, we’re planning that already. After a good amount of a break, we will start recording again some time next year. We’re already kicking around what part of the world to work and record in next time. [Laughs]
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2022 :  00:27:38  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Sprite!

Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2023 :  13:36:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doesn't sound like work on a follow-up is on the horizon this year:

AllMusic: Future plans? Projects?

Santiago: Aside from touring, that's about it for now. I want to get back into composing. That will be next. That's just hard to line up, but I really, really want to do film music.

https://www.allmusic.com/blog/post/the-pixies-joey-santiago-talks-tour-recording-with-steve-albini
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2023 :  23:19:37  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Doesn't sound like work on a follow-up is on the horizon this year:

AllMusic: Future plans? Projects?

Santiago: Aside from touring, that's about it for now. I want to get back into composing. That will be next. That's just hard to line up, but I really, really want to do film music.

https://www.allmusic.com/blog/post/the-pixies-joey-santiago-talks-tour-recording-with-steve-albini

dang!

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2023 :  19:26:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would be great to get a solo FBF scraps album right about now
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
182 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2023 :  22:07:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I get the strong sense that Frusciante de facto produces his RHCP records (at least, since Cali). Not knocking Rubin, but music producers vary widely in what they bring to the table. Rubin's style is like a team cheerleader, councilor, and to serve sort of as a high-level guru. It's spiritual leadership and maybe conflict resolution. This approach is more hands-off than it sounds like Pixies need. Guru-producer works well when you have intrinsically motivated artists (like Frusciante, who seems to be constantly working). When it comes to Charles, he's more of a quiet donkey that needs to be told to climb its arse up the hillside.

Edited by - tamefan on 03/19/2023 22:18:41
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2023 :  22:14:24  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is that really true though? Is that how the Catholics albums were made, or stuff like Bluefinger, etc? Or is that just how he is lately?
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
182 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2023 :  22:19:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lately; which is to say, a decade.

I'm not complaining, though. While the past decade has far fewer songs than the decade that preceded it, I'm partial to the Pixies 2.0. output myself. I suppose unless your name is John Frusciante, less usually is more.

Edited by - tamefan on 03/19/2023 22:27:08
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2023 :  13:51:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tamefan

Lately; which is to say, a decade.

I'm not complaining, though. While the past decade has far fewer songs than the decade that preceded it, I'm partial to the Pixies 2.0. output myself. I suppose unless your name is John Frusciante, less usually is more.

I appreciate the less is more point of view, however if you ask me if the last decade is better then the one that preceded it (or the one before) I would have to politely disagree.

93-03 is the gold standard, 03-13 (not including pixies eps) was fantastic and 13-23 is, so far, good to very good.

I don't think it should be a question of just quality v quantity - musical diversity and evolution is important too, I would welcome more of that.

Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2023 :  15:51:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't know where I stand with the 2.0 output now. IC and BTE are great, HC and Dog haven't grown on me very much. HC has great moments but isn't consistently top tier. I'm really struggling with Doggerel.
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2023 :  00:26:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stuczuba

Don't know where I stand with the 2.0 output now. IC and BTE are great, HC and Dog haven't grown on me very much. HC has great moments but isn't consistently top tier. I'm really struggling with Doggerel.

Recently I only play side B of Doggerel. I'm not very stimulated by side A. Get Stimulated merely sounds like an average Grand Duchy song to me... I really like Who's More Sorry Now and I miss a proper Frank Black album. I'm sorry.

++++
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2023 :  11:00:53  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Love Get Simulated to be honest
One of the more distintive ones from Doggerel

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2023 :  13:31:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love Simulated too. But I get the Duchy comparison.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2023 :  15:53:15  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That Grand Duchy album is fucking great so not sure why that's a bad thing for a song to be like it.
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2023 :  03:15:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

That Grand Duchy album is fucking great so not sure why that's a bad thing for a song to be like it.

Yes, great songs in the 2 Grand Duchy albums, no doubt about it. Get Stimulated is a good song too but you know... The Pixies... they were like the best thing on Earth for a few years so... that song is... well... merely an average Grand Duchy song. Which is not bad... But...

++++
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2023 :  11:06:06  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
No real news, but I was looking at the tours and Pixies stop playing in september 2023 and will start gigs again in March 2024.
You know what's in between those months? Fall and Winter. You know when Pixies like to record albums: winter.

Have a nice fall vacation, and good luck with album no 9 in winter, people!

Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2023 :  19:42:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Apologies if you’ve found this already, but I really love these performances so I’ll just post them just in case.

Um Chagga Lagga

https://youtu.be/yTMxk0jq2xA

Planet of Sound

https://youtu.be/x_0BuDFezoA
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2023 :  11:56:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paz just confirmed the band has been recording for the past 2 months
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0s7DRkCoWGmqWp1WYD7c7wZpiPik5ZnuLHFcYcWkAKMWkgEqZX9aDoKzAGfstxGBSl&id=1175017024

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000