New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2022 :  13:57:02  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://northerntransmissions.com/pixies-doggerel/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2022 :  03:05:54  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
https://www.uncut.co.uk/reviews/album/pixies-doggerel-140212/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=pixies-doggerel

A better link than above

I don't really understand why this one is more popular than BTE

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2022 :  13:00:41  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://whenthehornblows.com/content/2022/9/30/album-review-pixies-doggerel

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2022 :  13:03:00  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.brooklynvegan.com/album-reviews-pixies-lambchop-fujiya-miyagi-the-intelligence-2nd-grade-mamalarky-melodys-echo-chamber/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2022 :  13:13:17  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
https://www.allmusic.com/album/doggerel-mw0003723646

Yes, agree with this one
3,5 stars

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2022 :  10:12:26  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
4 stars in The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/oct/02/pixies-doggerel-review-pristinely-produced-absurdism

Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2022 :  10:32:03  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

NME review, 4 out of 5

https://www.nme.com/reviews/album/pixies-doggerel-review-still-the-alt-rock-gold-standard-3319645

I really like the NME review. I think the author was drunk on red wine and on his 5th back to back listen of the record . Lots of great analogies and visuals in it. I agree with all these great reviews. I’m pretty confident this is the best album of the new Pixies era.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2022 :  10:49:29  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The best received one, at least

Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2022 :  10:54:30  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

The best received one, at least

Well I’m not one to be swayed by reviews. Where would you rank it at this early stage?

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2022 :  10:59:37  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Slightly below BTE.

I think it's the lighter version of the dark and moody Beneath The Eyrie.
I loved the sound of that record and all the arrangements (a bit overproduced here and there)

Doggerel is way more open sounding, and a bit too dull for my tastes. Because some of the songs are straightforward to begin with.

Like all the songs, but not all the singing by our hero.

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2022 :  01:06:17  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good review in Belgian weekly Knack:
Minder 'punky stuff' op de achtste lp van Pixies. Dat mag. Het gevecht met de eigen legende kunnen deze eminente grijsaards en kaalhoofdigen (bassiste Paz Lenchantin tweemaal uitgezonderd) toch niet winnen. Doggerel moet het meer van wollige donderwolken dan klievende bliksemflitsen hebben. Nomatterday en Vault of Heaven zijn expansieve, potige songs waarin veel Morricone zit, maar gelukkig nog meer vileine Black Francis. Dregs of the Wine is een primeur: de allereerste song credit van gitarist Joey Santiago, een gezond blozend ding dat broers en zussen mag krijgen. Gothic folk, Admiral Freebee-rock (There's a Moon On), een poging Cohen aan funk te paren: deze matuurdere Pixies slaan er vaak óp maar ook wel eens naast.

Not the wildest or the most positive, but I like it. Because this reviewer read the press release. Less "punky stuff"

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2022 :  02:03:01  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/pixies-doggerel/

Not bad at all. Pretty good review too

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2022 :  04:18:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was actually a decent and surprisingly well written piece by Pitchfork,
Go to Top of Page

QuaBear
- FB Fan -

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2022 :  06:28:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some good points in the piece by Pitchfork, however, I feel from the writing, it sounds more like an 8, or at least a 7.5. The thing I don't like about the Pitchfork piece is they scored it at a 6.5. And they did that because they are weighing the pixies "legacy." They are not actually reviewing the actual music...don't get me wrong, I get it...but still.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2022 :  06:40:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Their review for BTE was also pretty solid, considering it's low score.

You have to remember, that for Pitchfork an 8 means it enters their very select "Best New Music" category, which is carefully curated towards maintaining their status as tastemakers for hip 20-somethings.

The review sounded more like a Pitchfork 7 to me, but I've noticed they are a vindictive outlet who "build it up just to tear it back down". Once they've decided a band isn't hip (they gave EP1 0 or something like that), it's hard to get back into their good graces score-wise.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2022 :  07:46:58  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
6,5 is a great score on the Pitchfork scale.

I'm actually surprised it's that high

Fair review too

Means Doggerel means more as a record than just something for the average fan

Or the writer is a fan, which is also a possibility

Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2022 :  08:28:12  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
re: the Pitchfork review. I will never understand how people hear Head Carrier.

"Head Carrier buckled under the weight of a band attempting to live within the confines of its legacy: They spent their time hitting marks, pretending to be the group they once were."

Head Carrier is full of mid tempo, country-ish melodies, pleasant tunes, just like a Catholics album. I barely hear anything of them trying to capture 1.0 Pixies sounds. Even Um Chugga sounds like a Catholics song to me because of its truck driving country feel. I don't understand why so many people and reviews say that only now on Doggerel is Frank "comfortable" with doing that kind of solo/Catholics songwriting. Head Carrier is a pleasant, poppy album with some country and blues-y flairs to it. Even All The Saints, now a live staple, reminds me of Dog in the Sand (the song) as well as like something from Bossanova.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2022 :  09:56:18  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.song-bar.com/album-releases/pixies-doggerel-album-review

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2022 :  10:38:07  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

"Head Carrier buckled under the weight of a band attempting to live within the confines of its legacy: They spent their time hitting marks, pretending to be the group they once were."

Head Carrier is full of mid tempo, country-ish melodies, pleasant tunes, just like a Catholics album. I barely hear anything of them trying to capture 1.0 Pixies sounds. Even Um Chugga sounds like a Catholics song to me because of its truck driving country feel. I don't understand why so many people and reviews say that only now on Doggerel is Frank "comfortable" with doing that kind of solo/Catholics songwriting. Head Carrier is a pleasant, poppy album with some country and blues-y flairs to it. Even All The Saints, now a live staple, reminds me of Dog in the Sand (the song) as well as like something from Bossanova.

Agreed but there is still something I can’t put my finger on about HC and definitely IC that does not sound comfortable. It sounds forced and overthought, and maybe that’s just in the production. I’ve used the word comfortable, but not in the context that I think Charles is now “comfortable” writing a certain type of song. More just that the band feels comfortable and genuine with this latest one. They were getting there on BTE. I can’t really explain it, it’s just a vibe I get.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 10/04/2022 10:38:33
Go to Top of Page

QuaBear
- FB Fan -

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2022 :  11:51:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:

Agreed but there is still something I can’t put my finger on about HC and definitely IC that does not sound comfortable. It sounds forced and overthought, and maybe that’s just in the production. I’ve used the word comfortable, but not in the context that I think Charles is now “comfortable” writing a certain type of song. More just that the band feels comfortable and genuine with this latest one. They were getting there on BTE. I can’t really explain it, it’s just a vibe I get.

Agreed. I feel Head Carrier and I.C. has some forced songs. Blue Eyed Hexe, Baal's back come to mind as just trying too hard to get "loud." Again, that's just my opinion. But I share your sentiments ribcage
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2022 :  19:01:45  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

https://www.allmusic.com/album/doggerel-mw0003723646

Yes, agree with this one
3,5 stars

I feel like I’m inhabiting a different universe when I read a lot of the reviews of this album. I’m not hearing all the country and folk and 60s Pop that everyone else is hearing. I’m hearing continued Frank Black Francis work. I listen to a LOT of country (real country not the slick nashville shit from the last few decades), folk, 60s and 70s music, and jazz, and all kinds of other shit, and I guess if modern classic rock (I think that’s a legitimate newer genre by the way) song writing is inspired by country folk, and actual classic rock, yeah, I hear it. But this ain’t classic rock, or any of those other things. I always hear it I guess, in his work, and always have. These inspirations are not the headline here. That stuff has always been there.

It’s just not what comes to mind for me first second or third or more when I listen to this. I just hear a continuation of what Charles has been doing from the beginning. Maybe I’m into it too deep, or maybe I’m just too familiar with it, and I know the players and the songs too well to think of it in these terms.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 10/05/2022 19:10:43
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2022 :  15:43:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This guy loves The Lord Has Come Back Today

https://www.clashmusic.com/news/pixies-ooze-class-with-the-lord-has-come-back-today/
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2022 :  12:48:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very negative review here

https://www.michigandaily.com/music/iconic-alt-rockers-pixies-return-with-doggerel-an-album-that-leaves-no-impression/
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2022 :  13:11:04  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

https://www.michigandaily.com/music/iconic-alt-rockers-pixies-return-with-doggerel-an-album-that-leaves-no-impression/

Well, he’s in the minority. Can’t please everyone. Hey, Led Zeppelin didn’t write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to The Bee Gees.

Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2022 :  15:51:58  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's an obnoxious, cruel review, but I do agree with parts of it, and the praise for Get Simulated is right on the money. It really is the only song on the past few albums that has that Pixies random feel, not so formulaic, and the production is more gritty and interesting.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2022 :  17:18:47  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's an obnoxious, cruel review, but I do agree with parts of it, and the praise for Get Simulated is right on the money. It really is the only song on the past few albums that has that Pixies random feel, not so formulaic, and the production is more gritty and interesting.

I understand what you’re saying about the song in general, but I don’t hear any more or less “grit” in the production. The engineering and production sounds like everything else on the album to me. The “grit” would maybe be in the vocal raspy delivery. But that’s just performance. Just my perception.

Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2022 :  17:24:19  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joey's guitars are wonkier and weirder, Frank's acoustic is quiet in the mix with real loud drums, which is a mix tone that reminds me of Surfer Rosa. Typically these modern Pixies productions pump everything up. The silverware percussion gives a new texture and messiness to the drum sound. Frank's doubled, gruff, in-character vocals sound like they're from some weird demo he made that would end up getting rejected, not the super polished Dalgety Pixies stuff. The mix has a lot of empty space, a bit of the loud/quiet/loud thing that seems to have been lost these days.

Ironically, the song that sounds the least like it wants to be a single ends up being the catchiest song on the album.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2022 :  22:50:49  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It was the most exciting song on the first listen
(But a lot of the songs were teasers in the podcast of course)

And with Nomatterday and Doggerel it's still the one I like the most
Do think the other songs have their great moments

Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2022 :  09:11:04  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I really love Dregs of the Wine and think that kind of song should be the future of the band. Everything else, now with many many listens, I have a similar response as to much of BTE. Fine songs but they don't excite me very much, it feels like any sort of band can do that kind of song. With the Pixies I want things only the Pixies can do. But I've also come to accept that mostly won't happen anymore.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2022 :  13:30:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dregs of the Wine is weird, I like it too.

Still hard to pick a favorite song for me, they're all really good.

Go to Top of Page

Jamie
- FB Fan -

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2022 :  21:11:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

That last line (To Pixies: Please, we are begging you to stop.) really bothers me. You can hate it, but to tell an artist (any artist) to stop making art is an insufferable level of critical arrogance. Like really, who do you think you are?
Go to Top of Page

cptnpasty
- FB Fan -

Spain
151 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2022 :  23:37:48  Show Profile  Visit cptnpasty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamie

quote:

That last line (To Pixies: Please, we are begging you to stop.) really bothers me. You can hate it, but to tell an artist (any artist) to stop making art is an insufferable level of critical arrogance. Like really, who do you think you are?

It's just a bandwagon to jump on, a reviewer's attempt to elevate themselves. This one has been there since Pitchfork did their one star review thing. I operate to a certain extent in the literary world and it's the same - too many critics who don't seem to have any clear idea of what it is they're in service to, apart from themselves.

www.guillermostitch.com
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2022 :  01:26:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The reviewer comes off looking worse than anyone
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2022 :  04:56:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't even read a review that addresses them as 'Pixies'
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2022 :  09:13:24  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Paz addresses them as "Pixies"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000