Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  10:21:12  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I feel like - if there was a computer algorithm that could recreate original Frank Black Francis songs in any of his musical eras - and there probably is but anyway if there was and it wrote a new Pixies 2.0 song this is what it might sound sound like. Sorry I know that's a bit harsh but I hope it has an unrevealed side you find the next time you hear it and you're not expecting it. Even though it's about the moon I'm not getting any doggerelness from it at all, which makes me wonder if it's an outlier or that's the theme of the album. Maybe it's one of the no more than one hopefully filler tracks in between the rest of the album which is a lot more doggerel?
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  10:35:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hm, I'm hearing more Pistolero-era Catholics, albeit with a Tom D era Pixies 2.0 arrangement/production (more Head Carrier/Human Crime than BTE).
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  10:39:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool, but I don’t feel the need to listen to it again. Don’t know if it’s the lyrics, the sound, the production, whatever.
Really hoping for lots of B-Sides / demos à la BTE. I actually played those way, way more than the actual record. Hooked on the first listen.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  10:43:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I got all my bitching out ahead of time, because I seem to like it more than everyone else lol

Have my issues with Dalgety but he doesn't get in the way too much here. The thing I like most about it is that Frank is doing ... SOMETHING with his voice. A lot of the new songs, you see them live and he does really cool textural things with his voice, or his trademark weirdness - but then on the recording he just....sings. Kind of "normal." This is the most affected/energetic I've heard his voice since IC, or maybe even Bluefinger. Hoping this means all of the songs have a little weirdness in his voice.

Now if they could just get away from that Dalgety/post-reunion predictability in the structure of the song itself. But this is a fun little meatball - the snippets from the video sounded like some of the other songs may have room for doing something weird

Only other complaint is that Paz's vocals are kind of lost in the mix, but that's what happens when you don't know how to mix lol. At least she's audible

Edited by - TheScooper on 06/08/2022 10:48:45
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  10:43:29  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Totally Catholics era bouncing around in there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  10:44:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, fairly poor song. The lyrics remind me of some of Iggy's more embarrassing songs. The chorus is alright, catchy, but overall the song is fairly bland, generic. Another Joey by the numbers job. Pap pop.

Really pine for the day when he does a side project, teams up someone like EDF, Glen Hansard, Mark Mulcahy or Baxter Dury.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  10:48:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First listen to There’s A Moon On:

Two thumbs up

I like it

Looking forward to listening to it again later today
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  11:03:15  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Love reading all of your comments!

To me it's like Tenement Song. Good, not great.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  11:05:19  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A Baxter Dury collab would be interesting, in theory. Trying to imagine what it would sound like them both singing in my head and I'm not sure it would work. I say go for it anyway and prove me wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  11:13:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trying not to be too critical but I don't see any signs of growth or maturity that's been talked about with this single.

I'm reserving judgment until the album is out but my initial thought is it sounds like it belongs in the lower end of the Head Carrier quality bracket. Um Chagga Lagga and Graveyard Hill were better lead singles. Though I prefer this to Long Rider so that's something.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  11:16:08  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe he's saving all the best songs for the demoes(again)?

It's all I have left to hold on to now, please let me have that!

Edited by - pot on 06/08/2022 11:16:38
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  12:08:04  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"You are the son of a motherfucker" is what the bit at 33s reminded me of - Nimrod's Son I guess

I'm wondering if it would sound better as a demo? Probably still a bit dull. It's like a mediocre indie song entry at the Eurovisions.
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  12:23:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's being a single is putting it under too much scrutiny. It's track 8 - as a quick little meatball in the context of the album I think it'll work great. Just hoping some of the other songs get a little weirder
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  12:39:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that's a fair point. I've listened to it a few times now, I do like it. It doesn't have any bits that irk me. And there's is a bit of shuffle in Dave's drumming which is good.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  12:43:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matto

Physical pre-order is up, it seems like the deluxe CD is just the standard album
https://pixies.ffm.to/doggerel.oyd

--------
baby poop, curry

Am I being unreasonable to feel a sliver of disappointment? I was listening to the Pixies Podcast recently and Frank reminiscing about doing lots of B-sides in the old days had me hopeful for something more than 12.

Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  13:06:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
marginally better than Another Toe in the Ocean
bland, generic, lazy structure, pedestrian drumming, uninteresting lyrics
I'm a bit shocked

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  13:09:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

"You are the son of a motherfucker" is what the bit at 33s reminded me of - Nimrod's Son I guess

I hear that too

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  13:13:38  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
All the lead singles post 1991 have been a bit bland (imho)
Even Bagboy, which is the weirdest of the bunch (but I have never really liked it)

This is ok. Somebody said Joey Santiago by numbers and I get that.

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  13:21:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As someone who continually bangs the drum on “2,0 is technically not the Pixies” I am really liking this first single from Doggerel. Agree with Goodman that it could fit on HC. The opening “roar” reminded me of Talent. I dig this little tune.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  13:48:01  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes, Talent!

Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  16:45:51  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheScooper

What's the other band, out of curiosity?

I didn't want to say because I do a whole podcast about them, haha. They Might Be Giants. I love several of their new albums, like the songwriting is often great, but from a production/mixing sense, they basically may as well all be one giant album. Like TMBG albums used to all sound wildly different. But around 2010 they just have had the same sound and I'm fairly sure it's because they just started only recording in the same studio with the same producer year after year. They need a shakeup. And I worry this is where Pixies/Tom is heading too.

NEW SONG:

I think I like this more than several of you. I've gotta listen more. I do think the verses are a bit...yeah, like that Catholics rock n'roll generic kind of vibe? But there's some interesting things in the mix...and I like the vibe? I need more time with it.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  21:22:50  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

I like the chorus. Two listens in and it could be a grower. YouTube audio sounds better than Spotify. Lyrics are terrible, but so were Snakes and I got over that once the tune revealed itself.

I love the lyrics for Snakes. Apocalyptic Frank is a favorite mode for me.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  22:17:33  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Does it swing a little bit?
It could totally work in the context of an album

That "come on" is pretty neat

Pixies are pop royalty now, they can take it a little slow and generic now

Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  00:08:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"There's A Moon On" is a rock song. It doesn't blow my mind apart, but I have no idea why anyone is expecting that of the Pixies in 2022.

I'm curious to hear it on the album.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  00:19:18  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Because they keep on doing mainly SR and Doolittle in concert.

When you are constantly playing Bone Machine-type songs and people know you for that, this is maybe a shock.

When you expect Dig for fire or Letter to Memphis the new stuff is more in the same vein

Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  00:26:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

"There's A Moon On" is a rock song. It doesn't blow my mind apart, but I have no idea why anyone is expecting that of the Pixies in 2022.

I'm curious to hear it on the album.

I would also say that, in my opinion at least, BTE was so strong that I expected more from the lead single. The interviews also seemed to stress maturity and ambition, and then we get a lightweight Dad-rocker about how the character don't wanna fight or bite, but wants to make love.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  01:20:29  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hehe, I like that cockle doodle do-verse the best

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  01:41:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank is in full on dad mode. He’s on the George Lucas trajectory now
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  04:21:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One or two more plays and I think I'll upgrade the song to alright status. It's just so feeble compared to say the BTE demos which rocked hard and the lyrics were (mostly) great. Those ''come on!'' bits are very tame. I get the feeling he's going for a Roky Erickson vibe - it reminds me of I Walked With A Zombie, Two Headed Dog, etc. Similar themes and fairly straight up rock. Though Roky's are classics and have much less of that Tom D sheen.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  05:50:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excuse the self promotion, but published my interview with the band from April. Lovely moment towards the end of the video with Joey and Charles reminiscing.

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2022-06-09/pixies-describe-new-album-doggerel-as-doolittle-senior
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  06:31:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice read Ziglar, interesting stuff in there
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  07:02:27  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

Excuse the self promotion, but published my interview with the band from April. Lovely moment towards the end of the video with Joey and Charles reminiscing.

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2022-06-09/pixies-describe-new-album-doggerel-as-doolittle-senior

This is not self promotion, but totally on brand for this website. Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  07:09:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chatted about the BTE demos later on.

Joey said his part of the 'fighter jets' line actually comes from him noodling around without them realising they were recording the actual take.

Plus Charles added they don't quite consider the songs part of the repertoire, but might be open to playing "one or two" in future.

Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  07:21:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thx, mike!

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  09:33:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike - I enjoyed both the article and the video! That must have been a great experience.

I wonder if There's A Moon On was one of the songs that Joey was worried about "the guy" sound and Tom brushed it off.

Did you get any info if the Wales sessions were with also Tom?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000