Page: of 25

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  12:01:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

Thanks Mike - I enjoyed both the article and the video! That must have been a great experience.

I wonder if There's A Moon On was one of the songs that Joey was worried about "the guy" sound and Tom brushed it off.

Did you get any info if the Wales sessions were with also Tom?

I seem to remember a photo of the whole band with Tom in the control room, but can't find it now?

Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  12:42:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can see it here

https://twitter.com/PIXIES/status/1517399081181720576

Also I remember from the 6Music interview with Frank in April he said they were going to Rockfield to make a another new record (or album I cant quite remember). Not being able to find that one to double check yet.

Great interview Ziggy I really enjoyed it!

Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  12:51:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was thinking today of the Pixies 2.0 1st singles

IC: Bagboy - was not crazy about and I usually skip it when I listen to the album nowadays
HC: Um chagga lagga - liked it a lot at first but definitely not my fave on Head Carrier (but wouldn't skip)
BTE: Graveyard Hill - liked it for a little while but soon wore off. Its the only song on BTE I skip
D: There's a moon on - am not sure this compares too bad at all to the above considering.

I think expectations have been raised massively off the back of BTE/BTE demos (take your pick, both in my case).

I'm feeling Lovely Day when I listen to Moon right now. Lovely Day is a great little titbit track so maybe Moon will come to be in the same ilk.

Edited by - Sprite on 06/09/2022 13:52:41
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2960 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  13:01:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Sprite’s point about songs wearing off is valid with the 2.0 catalog versus 1.0
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  13:02:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

You can see it here

Also I remember from the 6Music interview with Frank in April he said they were going to Rockfield to make a another new record (or album I cant quite remember). Not being able to find that one to double check yet.

Ah ha! Thanks!

He said pretty much the same elsewhere in the interview - "on to the next album" - very matter of fact!

Although to manage expectations here, the official line is the Rockfield sessions were to record "some other ideas".
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  13:18:19  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

quote:

You can see it here

Ah ha! Thanks!

He said pretty much the same elsewhere in the interview - "on to the next album" - very matter of fact!

Although to manage expectations here, the official line is the Rockfield sessions were to record "some other ideas".

Mmm, mixed messages!

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  13:18:51  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

IC: Bagboy - was not crazy about and I usually skip it when I listen to the album nowadays
HC: Um chagga lagga - liked it a lot at first but definitely not may fave on Head Carrier (but wouldn't skip)
BTE: Graveyard Hill - liked it for a little while but soon wore off. Its the only song on BTE I skip
D: There's a moon on - am not sure this compares too bad at all to the above considering.

I think expectations have been raised massively off the back of BTE/BTE demos (take your pick, both in my case).

Totally! This is exactly how I think about the singles

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  13:27:50  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wasn't Head Carrier cited as Doolittle 2.0 when it was coming out? I guess calling Doggerel Doolitle Snr would make it the parent of both Doolittle and Head Carrier - and as much as it is only a metaphorical description it still technically violates the law of entropy.

Edited by - pot on 06/09/2022 13:30:41
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  13:36:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

quote:

HC: Um chagga lagga - liked it a lot at first but definitely not may fave on Head Carrier (but wouldn't skip)

'On Graveyard Hill' is one of my favourite 2.0 songs - although hearing the live recordings months before the studio one gave it a little lead time to sink in. Love the little production touches (Charles coughing, humming along) too.

Enjoying 'There's A Moon On' now it's had a few listens. Firmly in the camp of liking that goofy final verse too!
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  13:57:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Wasn't Head Carrier cited as Doolittle 2.0 when it was coming out? I guess calling Doggerel Doolitle Snr would make it the parent of both Doolittle and Head Carrier - and as much as it is only a metaphorical description it still technically violates the law of entropy.

Yes, I seem to recall Frank using the phrase 'more Doolitte slosh'. Should have said 'more production slosh'
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  14:03:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

'On Graveyard Hill' is one of my favourite 2.0 songs - although hearing the live recordings months before the studio one gave it a little lead time to sink in. Love the little production touches (Charles coughing, humming along) too.

Enjoying 'There's A Moon On' now it's had a few listens. Firmly in the camp of liking that goofy final verse too!

Yep I dug those as well. The problem for me is the chorus, I just find it too conventional. I remember in the firestorm on here when the first EP1 dropped and Another Toe in the Ocean was compared to the Foo Fighters. This seemed alien to me. But Graveyard Hill sounds more Foo Fightery to me. I'd still take Toe over Bagboy, Hexe or Indie Cindy.

Anyway it's all subjective, I am mad for Ready for Love, Long Rider and Bird of Prey on BTE. Which I know would not be the top choice of some.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2960 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  16:17:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel like there’s a thread on here somewhere of “Which 2.0 Song Could You Mistake for a 1.0 Song?” It might be a very short thread.

My vote was Surfers Muertos, purely for Joey’s guitar,

With a slogan of “Doolittle Sr.” we should be getting some more candidates from Doggerel.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  19:21:11  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Joey and Dave seem to really like this one

Btw podcast's up and there are some great sounds in the first minutes

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  19:37:08  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Paz says this is the best thing she's ever done

All board the hype train!

Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  21:00:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nomatterday bits sound intriguing. Haunted House sounds so fucking cheesy lol. I miss the Pixies where it's weird and scary and you can't figure out what it's about, not where they say This Is About A House With Ghosts and have a "spooky keyboard"

Edited by - TheScooper on 06/09/2022 21:04:44
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  21:30:41  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Haha, yes! Still some parts of the cheese sounded good. Some of the chords.
But the snippets of Moon also sound better in the podcast than on the released single.
That's what scares me a little. You can fix in the mix, but also destroy it.

What about the bit on how Dalgety likes to talk about Boston, Foreigner and Sabbath?
That's ok, I guess, musicians should know about rock legends, but I would rather have them discussing
Angst, Violent Femmes and The Cure. Or something totally new. Or very old. Just not classic rock.

Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  21:48:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Noticed that classic rock thing too. Totally agree with you on that point. Part of my Dalgety issue it that it seems like he's making them "heavier," or slower, like he's trying to turn them into another modern prog band like Ghost (who he produces), rather than really understanding the heart of the pixies, the spiky little unpredictable noise ball

Edited by - TheScooper on 06/09/2022 21:49:04
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  22:42:51  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good point. Ghost is very succesful, they totally hit the right spot.
Not sure if Pixies are playing to their strenghts.

BTE works for me, I love that record and Dalgety produced the demo's too.
I'm up for more Daniel Boone and less spikey noise ball. I don't think Frank is interested in writing those kind of songs.

Edited by - billgoodman on 06/09/2022 22:46:21
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  23:18:51  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheScooper

Nomatterday bits sound intriguing. Haunted House sounds so fucking cheesy lol. I miss the Pixies where it's weird and scary and you can't figure out what it's about, not where they say This Is About A House With Ghosts and have a "spooky keyboard"

I'd LOL if I wasn't so concerned and in total agreement. My goodness. My other favorite band They Might Be Giants has an identical problem in some of their lesser songs. I love TMBG also when it's poetic and abstract and you don't know what it's about, but when they lean self-consciously hard into their quirks, it rubs me the wrong way.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  23:29:23  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes, but the Parlando-stuff Frank is doing, some of it sounding like improv, in some of the song snippets got me excited.
He's pushing 60. He can preach, he can talk, he can teach, bring it on.

So maybe he can say "there is a house in new england and it's spooky" and "hey my favorite vegatable in china town hit me hard today, where's my coffee" nowadays.

Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2022 :  01:02:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really like the sound of those snippets.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2022 :  01:10:18  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Really like the sound of those snippets.

I hope they will still sound that way on the album.

BTE had some great snippets in the podcast. Catfish Kate sounded full of life. The version on the record is very tame in comparison.

Same goes for Paz vocal on Long Rider and Los Surfer Muertos. I liked the clean versions (with no Frank backing vox) better.

Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2022 :  01:20:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having just relistened to the BTE podcasts I thought the exact same, the snippets sounded richer, Joey more to forefront, full of life as you say.

So what happened, is that a mastering thing or something?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2022 :  01:22:05  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Yes, I seem to recall Frank using the phrase 'more Doolitte slosh'. Should have said 'more production slosh'

I don't think production slosh is to blame for the moon song as much as it's just a horribly uninteresting song. And the lyrics are a bit bogus too. I can sense that it will probably never grow on me.

I seem to recall also thinking the BTE promo singles were a bit commercial too though, then the album dropped with better songs.

---

I never really like seeing track listings of albums before I hear them as it seems to conjure up a sound in your mind's ear as to what the songs might be like, and then you hear them and they are completely different and you quite often end up disappointed. I like to listen to albums all the way through without even looking at the track titles. Also something about songs with the main chorus as the title that doesn't chime with me so well. There are plenty of exceptions to that rule though, eg. Debaser and plenty of others - just if it's a bad song then the fact it has a title chorus doesn't help.

I note here also that this is the third 2.0 album with a track listing that's the same as the album title - only one that hasn't so far is BTE (which is the only decent one so far IMO)
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2022 :  01:35:25  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nomatterday - matter & light - "no matter" then all you have is "light" - daylight?

I'll just keep going off in complete tangents with everything..
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2022 :  01:37:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since listening to There's a Moon On a couple of times I've had The Ramones We Want the Airwaves stuck in my head.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2022 :  01:46:16  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Having just relistened to the BTE podcasts I thought the exact same, the snippets sounded richer, Joey more to forefront, full of life as you say.

So what happened, is that a mastering thing or something?

Yes, I guess and the mix itself is of course also different. There are plenty of effects on everything on the album. A good call to give it all some uniformity, but we've lost something on the way down there.

I guess there will be more episoded of the podcasts, but the diary of Dalgety has only covered like half of the album.

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2960 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2022 :  02:18:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought the same thing re: BTE podcast snippets versus final versions. Daniel Boone snippet sounded magical. Final version sounds more skippable
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2022 :  02:50:24  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Still I think the podcasts helped me in enjoying the record and understanding their point of view

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2960 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2022 :  05:32:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Nomatterday snippet is ill. I hope the album version sounds like what I’m hoping it will sound like.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2022 :  06:17:22  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I guess it will be Spaghetti Western meets Mac and Cheese meets Hummus

The amount of cheese will be the pivotal point (is that how you say that in English?)

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2960 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2022 :  06:38:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
“Doom Folk” is a label being used by Dalgety.

I can endorse that. It sounds about right.

And re: cheese, Lynch films have their cheese, in the midst of dreams and horror and mystery and the familiar, so some cheese on Doggerel will probably fit nicely.

Yes Goodman, “pivotal point” sounds like good English to me
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2022 :  07:20:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Still I think the podcasts helped me in enjoying the record and understanding their point of view

Absolutely. And 'Ready for Love' was one of those moments... Dalgety encouraging Joey to come in with that 'buzzsaw' solo towards the end.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2960 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2022 :  09:34:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow I’m really enjoying every snippet. Makes me feel good about Doggerel. Hopefully finished product matches expectations.

Haunted House reminds me of 1950s Frank Black if you know what I mean. I love that side of FB
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2022 :  10:02:36  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot
Also something about songs with the main chorus as the title that doesn't chime with me so well.

Nearly all of the entire history of popular music?!?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000