Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2022 :  01:48:40  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah, the brick walled thing. That was also a problem with Indie Cindy.

By snobs I mean people who think that only the youthful energy of pre-Bossa Pixies are the "real" Pixies.
The No Kim, No Deal-crowd.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2022 :  02:00:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Official announcement is out

Tracklist

01. ‘Nomatterday’
02. ‘Vault of Heaven’
03. ‘Dregs of the Wine’
04. ‘Haunted House’
05. ‘Get Simulated’
06. ‘The Lord Has Come Back Today’
07. ‘Thunder & Lightning’
08. ‘There’s A Moon On’
09. ‘Pagan Man’
10. ‘Who’s More Sorry Now?’
11. ‘You’re Such A Sadducee’
12. ‘Doggerel’
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2022 :  02:40:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pixies announce new album ‘Doggerel’

‘Doggerel’ is a mature yet visceral record of gruesome folk, ballroom pop and brutal rock

The iconic Pixies forged an influential path for alt-rock during their first era, while their post 2004 reunion has seen them alchemize more sophisticated dark arts – a return which has them add another three UK Top 10 albums to the three they achieved on their first run. Now as fired up as ever before, Pixies will release their eighth studio album ‘Doggerel’ on September 30th via BMG, which is now available to pre-order HERE. They launch the album alongside its lead single ‘There’s a Moon On’.

‘Doggerel’ is a mature yet visceral record of gruesome folk, ballroom pop and brutal rock, haunted by the ghosts of affairs and indulgences, driven wild by cosmic forces and envisioning digital afterlives where no God has provided one. And all the while, right there on the news, another distant storm approaches.

Guitarist Joey Santiago says, “This time around we have grown. We no longer have under two-minute songs. We have little breaks, more conventional arrangements but still our twists in there.”

Vocalist/guitarist Black Francis adds, “We’re trying to do things that are very big and bold and orchestrated. The punky stuff, I really like playing it but you just cannot artificially create that shit. There’s another way to do this, there’s other things we can do with this extra special energy that we’re encountering.”

That energy shimmers in the album’s new single ‘There’s A Moon On’, which fits into the space between prototype squalling Pixies guitars and heartland rock classicism. Thematically it plays somewhere between fact and legend, playing upon the adrenalizing effect of the lunar cycle on the human psyche, a phase during which the drunks in Francis’s brother’s bar become more aggressive.

A congregation between darkness and beauty consistently emerges throughout the record. There’s ‘Haunted House’, a spirited concoction of ‘50s-flavoured pop with ghosts both literal and metaphoric, as well as the brooding Morricone desert rock of ‘Vault of Heaven’, and a breezy folk-rock melody on ‘Pagan Man’. But Pixies still possesses a ferocious edge, one that feeds into the grinding intensity and surrealism of ‘Nomatterday’ and The Who-like power of ‘Dregs of the Wine’, which will surely be the first and last Pixies song to namecheck Van Halen.

It’s a record with an unusual genesis. Instead of building upon rough ideas in the studio, Black Francis turned up to sessions with 40 songs prepared. Sessions started late in 2021 with producer Tom Dalgety (Royal Blood, Ghost) working with Francis in Massachusetts, before they headed to LA to finish tracks with the rest of the band.

Their input would be vital. Santiago contributed his first two Pixies songwriting credits, with music for ‘Dregs of the Wine’ and lyrics for ‘Doggerel’. Meanwhile, drummer David Lovering and bassist Paz Lenchantin’s performances have the uninhibited energy of two musicians who both confess to feeling reinvigorated by the process.

In addition to digital / streaming formats, ‘Doggerel’ will also be issued in a variety of physical configurations. There will be a range of gatefold colour vinyl options: the standard red vinyl, a yellow vinyl will be available exclusively from select independent stores, and an orange vinyl that is only available from the Pixies’ official store – which also offers an exclusive red cassette. The formats are completed by a deluxe CD.

Pixies’ UK summer tour dates include large outdoor headline shows in Manchester, Birmingham and Newcastle plus a BST Hyde Park show as guests to Pearl Jam. Please see their website for a full list of all international dates.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2022 :  02:45:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's unclear to me if the single is being released right now? If so, I can't find it.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2022 :  03:40:25  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From the sound of that article and the track list I’m now anticipating some nice ethereal, wish washy synth effects of the Bossanova kind.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2022 :  03:59:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

It's unclear to me if the single is being released right now? If so, I can't find it.

Out tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
182 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2022 :  04:27:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Given the pace of media cycles and cultural attention, I'd like to hear the rationale for releasing this stuff 4 months before the drop date instead of 4 weeks (or even 4 days) beforehand.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2022 :  04:49:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tamefan

Given the pace of media cycles and cultural attention, I'd like to hear the rationale for releasing this stuff 4 months before the drop date instead of 4 weeks (or even 4 days) beforehand.

Vinyl pressing lead times have been a factor for a lot of bands.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2022 :  04:56:27  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Maybe to have an impuls at the start of the tour? It's coming up

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2022 :  04:57:00  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

From the sound of that article and the track list I’m now anticipating some nice ethereal, wish washy synth effects of the Bossanova kind.

Yeah, I totally get that.

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2022 :  04:58:11  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

It's what me surprises the most after 2004. Pixies keep on relying on Surface Rosa and Doolittle, but their new music seems more like Bossa/TLM to me. Which is good. I don't think you can write with that Come On Pilgrim-energy for very long anyway.

Very funny that Frank himself says it in the new press release:
Vocalist/guitarist Black Francis adds, “We’re trying to do things that are very big and bold and orchestrated. The punky stuff, I really like playing it but you just cannot artificially create that shit. There’s another way to do this, there’s other things we can do with this extra special energy that we’re encountering.”

Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2022 :  06:21:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

It’s odd in this climate but I think it’s a Richard Jones (their manager) thing. Seems old school with it and from what we’ve read over the years the band leaves that kind of stuff to him.

Some of the titles sound a bit silly, like Haunted House (ooohhhh spooky vibes)!but Ii trust Charles not to get too cheesy. I do hope that with the mention of doing less punky, 2 minutes or less tracks, that BF steps up the songwriting a bit on this. BTE was an improvement to me vs the earlier v2.0 stuff but songs like Ready for Love really need to left on the cutting room floor for more dynamic stuff.

Anyway, here is a snippet of info about the new single for you lovely folks:

Over the wreckage of the modern world, a bad moon rises. Black Francis knows it spells bad news. He’s long aware of the adrenalizing effect of the lunar cycle on the human psyche - the way the drunks in his brother’s bar get more aggressive when, as one of his torrent of new songs goes, ‘There’s A Moon On’. “There’s a storm in your brain on a full moon night,” he howls, but he “don’t like to fight, don’t like to spit”. When that lunar fever hits, he’d rather turn the bloodlust to more lascivious ends.

Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2022 :  09:29:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a great load of news to read after coming home from work. Joey and Frank's comments make me think we are going more Daniel Boone than Baal's Back. Will be interesting to see. But Haunted Houses, Ghosts, Morricone, 50's rock, I'm quite OK with these name checks.

Does anybody know what the 'Deluxe CD' means? I guess we are not getting any of these extras demos straight up (yet)?

Oh and I consider Ready for Love is one of the best things Pixies 2.0 have done! It's a modern day Winterlong. I'd happily take a whole album of that stuff.
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2022 :  10:21:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get Simulated is such an awesome name for a pixies song
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2022 :  13:02:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

Official announcement is out

Tracklist

01. ‘Nomatterday’
02. ‘Vault of Heaven’
03. ‘Dregs of the Wine’
04. ‘Haunted House’
05. ‘Get Simulated’
06. ‘The Lord Has Come Back Today’
07. ‘Thunder & Lightning’
08. ‘There’s A Moon On’
09. ‘Pagan Man’
10. ‘Who’s More Sorry Now?’
11. ‘You’re Such A Sadducee’
12. ‘Doggerel’

Fourth album in a row with 12 tracks? Is that right? The lower 48?
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2022 :  13:42:45  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is the missing link in the pr statements "pre order here" - just digital outlets:
https://pixies.ffm.to/doggerel/

--------
baby poop, curry
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2022 :  15:24:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no expectations other than some cool music. Looking forward to it. Will pre-order the CD as soon as it comes up.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2022 :  16:45:53  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So what about the other 28 songs!
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2022 :  16:58:36  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

The Dalgety sound to me is more a lack of a sound than a specific sound.

Really? On BTE the drums have a very distinct sound (lot's of bass drum). And lot's of (lead) vocals and guitar are drenched in echo/delay.

Yeah. But never in a way you wouldn't expect. Everything is kind of exactly in the right place and follows extremely conventional pop music formulas. Older Pixies mixes constantly make me go "huh? What did I just hear?" You hear it on the podcast all the time, Tom basically being like ok, this is the part of the song where this has to happen, leading them into the formulaic territory more often than not.

Just super polished, not very distinctive to my ears as being a "sound" (not that I even think producers should have a "sound", but maybe some special quality that is hard to define?)
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2022 :  20:37:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with you about the formulaic thing ... this is based on a shitty 45 second live video, but a song like Super Lecker was sounding really cool and like vintage Pixies ... but I remember reading in an interview that Dalgety poo poo'd it. Making room for ...... Might As Well Be Gone, the most boring song FBF has ever been apart of lol

I'm sure he's a great producer for someone, but seemingly has no idea what makes the Pixies interesting. At least to me. I.C. had brickwalling issues in the mix (not to mention not having Paz yet, etc), but Gil at least understands the band and can record properly, so we get stuff like Bagboy which really "feels" like a Pixies song
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2022 :  20:38:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just hoping the "we don't do two minute songs anymore" and Frank's quote about not doing "punky stuff" doesn't mean we get 12 "Silver Bullet" style songs that Dalgety beats to death.

In any case, I'm bitching but I can't wait! Will be first in line for tickets.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2022 :  21:59:03  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheScooper

Agree with you about the formulaic thing ... this is based on a shitty 45 second live video, but a song like Super Lecker was sounding really cool and like vintage Pixies ... but I remember reading in an interview that Dalgety poo poo'd it. Making room for ...... Might As Well Be Gone, the most boring song FBF has ever been apart of lol

I'm sure he's a great producer for someone, but seemingly has no idea what makes the Pixies interesting. At least to me. I.C. had brickwalling issues in the mix (not to mention not having Paz yet, etc), but Gil at least understands the band and can record properly, so we get stuff like Bagboy which really "feels" like a Pixies song

I like Might As Well Be Gone but to me it's basically a Catholics song. I agree 100% though. Dalgety has skills, and in the podcast thread I made I pointed to a few times where he brought out some good stuff from the band (urging Joey to let loose, getting Frank to scream more, etc.)

But I do think, horrible mastering aside, Indie Cindy does have a sort of "quality" to the mix that is otherworldly and feels more like a Pixies album. There's a real feeling of a time and place to the production. It's spacey and weird and unpredictable and it takes some risks. It's not a perfect album but it's a lot more interesting than Dalgety's work with the band.

Another band I like has a similar problem. The songs are still great, and I enjoy their albums, but they've been using the same producer now for the last several albums, and there's just no real "sound" to the new material like the way you can kind of identify old "eras" of the band and the various feels of the older albums. They are all sounding the same in a subtle production sense and part of me is just dying for them to find some new producer that can shake things up.
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2022 :  23:06:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's the other band, out of curiosity?
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  00:09:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First play of 'There's A Moon On' on Steve Lamacq's 6Music show later today.

Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  00:10:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just hoping the "we don't do two minute songs anymore" and Frank's quote about not doing "punky stuff" doesn't mean we get 12 "Silver Bullet" style songs that Dalgety beats to death.

Oh man, I'd gladly take an album of Silver Bullets (which I think Tom did a great job on!).
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  03:34:57  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that's a great one

Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  07:39:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FYI, from the official Facebook account

Our dear friend Steve Lamacq is giving you the first taster of what's coming from Doggerel on BBC Radio 6 Music tomorrow.
Tune in from 5pm to hear 'There's A Moon On' #127767;

Assuming that's in the UK timezone, should be coming up soon.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  07:49:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

quote:

Oh man, I'd gladly take an album of Silver Bullets (which I think Tom did a great job on!).

Absolutely. Love BTE.

For what it's worth, have heard 'Doggerel' described as 'a radio station' of styles (which actually was said about BTE also).
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  08:27:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On first listen: an enjoyable chorus, but pedestrian-Catholics/rock and roll verses with somewhat embarrassing lyrics and by-the-numbers guitar leads by Joey. Standard disclaimer: This evaluation could of course change, as FB songs often reveal themselves in time.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  08:34:32  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Fun song

Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  08:45:14  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Physical pre-order is up, it seems like the deluxe CD is just the standard album
https://pixies.ffm.to/doggerel.oyd

--------
baby poop, curry
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  08:45:55  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There's a Moon On video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbXP8PdwnWM

--------
baby poop, curry
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  09:22:12  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just arrived back at Chez Pot and gave this a spin - initial impressions are thus: I don't really like it very much.

I just feels like we've regressed back to the Indy Cindy era. More self-tribute band music. The bridge into the chorus reminds me of something I have yet to put my finger on.

I wonder what scores out of ten it will get on the Round Table tomorrow on Lammo's Radio 6 show? I give it 2 point. Sorry it just feels completely bland. Hopefully the album is better but it's lowered my expectations now.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  09:34:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the chorus. Two listens in and it could be a grower. YouTube audio sounds better than Spotify. Lyrics are terrible, but so were Snakes and I got over that once the tune revealed itself.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2022 :  10:18:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not just the lyrics though - the first thing that popped out to me was that I did not like the single style on the verses, i.e. the full-throated yet nasally voice he uses there. It just doesn't play to his strengths as both a singer and songwriter. If this is the best they could choose for a lead single, my expectations are also lowered.

Again - it's enjoyable enough, but disappointing/pedestrian for the Pixies.

I think my disappointment is compounded by also not thinking highly of Human Crime. Nice melody (especially as teased out in the piano rendition) but also a bland lyric/recording.

Edited by - Brank_Flack on 06/08/2022 10:21:02
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000