Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2022 :  05:53:05  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think they’ll rate this one in biscuits - so I’m going for three Bonio, some Good Boy Choc Drops and a home made peanut butter treat (if there’s a Daniel Boone 2.0 on the album) this works out as the equivalent of around 65 in human terms? I’m going the other way because I think there is a level of Dalgety fatigue starting to seep into their catalogue
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
183 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2022 :  22:04:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this thread where we discuss our impressions of the album? (I'm asking only because it's located in the News section.) I've got the CD playing now and it sounds a lot better than the waveform might lead you to believe. Thoughtfully mixed: big dry drums in the middle, Charles & Joey's guitars panned each to opposing sides. The master's a little loud (hey, it's a CD mastered for people to play on car stereos). Sounds the same as the WEB single masters. I have high hopes the vinyl will be similar to BTE (which sounds great on record).

I'll reserve comment on the album until it's officially released and everyone's had a chance to listen.

Anyway, gotta go listen to Nomatterday for the fifth time in a row. (It's really bad. You guys won't like it!! )

Edit: Here's the waveform

Edited by - tamefan on 09/28/2022 22:17:14
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2022 :  22:59:16  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Do waste your time on us, tamefan!

Thanks!

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2022 :  22:59:55  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Some jerk leaked it
But I'm not listening until it hits the streaming services

I guess my cd won't arrive any soon

Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
183 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2022 :  23:10:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't tell if this album is genuinely good or if I just had really low expectations and two glasses of wine.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2022 :  00:28:41  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do albums still get leaked these days? I thought they'd managed to stop that - I guess so many preview copies going round and the inevitable copies for friends means there's always a chance..
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2022 :  00:31:18  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What's the point in giving out copies to music journos etc in advance for review purposes anyway, to give them a head start to get clever with their verbose? Pretty much everybody with an internet connection gets to hear new albums on the day they're released these days so who cares what Pitchfork et al think anyway
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2022 :  00:44:16  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Marketing is still a big thing

We can all listen to pretty much everything. It's a fact that most people still listen to what's being pushed by the major record companies and the major distributors with major pr

It's not like the old days when you couldn't reach millions of people (go viral) without them.
You can.
But the Pixies won't.

Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2022 :  01:13:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nomatterday is my favorite 2.0 opener for sure. Slightly menacing and BF’s spoken word sounds great.

First listen: it’s all a bit too pleasant after the first 1/3.

Early favorites: Nomatterday (By Far), Dregs, Who’s More Sorry Now, Moon
Decent: Haunted House, Get Simulated (never really takes off, unfortunately), The Lord
The rest is just fine without any really high moments musically or lyrically
Sedducee stands out as my least favorite for sure. It’s just so meh all around.

I’m now in the Dalgety OUT frame of mind, lol. Would like someone who pushes BF a bit more and has a more quirky ear. This is too pedestrian for Pixies.

From when Dregs ends to the beginning of Moon there is a distinct lack of energy. Even as a pretty straightforward rocker, Moon sounds better within the album because it brings what most of these other songs do not. This is a pleasant album. The most Frank Black album of Pixies 2.0 for me.

I’ll keep listening of course. Let’s see how it grows/goes
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2022 :  01:18:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazon charged my card a few hours ago so that means it's now shipping from them. I bought the "Deluxe Edition" CD, which I'm guessing is just the disc in a fancy "book" packaging like the "Beneath the Eyrie" deluxe. Or maybe not. I'm not sure. I didn't look into it. I just saw "Deluxe" and picked that one.

Anyway all that I've heard are the three advance tracks.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2022 :  02:16:49  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

Amazon charged my card a few hours ago so that means it's now shipping from them. I bought the "Deluxe Edition" CD, which I'm guessing is just the disc in a fancy "book" packaging like the "Beneath the Eyrie" deluxe. Or maybe not. I'm not sure. I didn't look into it. I just saw "Deluxe" and picked that one.

Anyway all that I've heard are the three advance tracks.

it's the book version indeed

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2022 :  02:19:20  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

Nomatterday is my favorite 2.0 opener for sure. Slightly menacing and BF’s spoken word sounds great.

First listen: it’s all a bit too pleasant after the first 1/3.

Early favorites: Nomatterday (By Far), Dregs, Who’s More Sorry Now, Moon
Decent: Haunted House, Get Simulated (never really takes off, unfortunately), The Lord
The rest is just fine without any really high moments musically or lyrically
Sedducee stands out as my least favorite for sure. It’s just so meh all around.

I’m now in the Dalgety OUT frame of mind, lol. Would like someone who pushes BF a bit more and has a more quirky ear. This is too pedestrian for Pixies.

From when Dregs ends to the beginning of Moon there is a distinct lack of energy. Even as a pretty straightforward rocker, Moon sounds better within the album because it brings what most of these other songs do not. This is a pleasant album. The most Frank Black album of Pixies 2.0 for me.

I’ll keep listening of course. Let’s see how it grows/goes

Thanks they are working with Dalgety for album nine, I think.

Which means that Tom will surpase Gil Norton. Who produced 3 albums and a two songs for a single.

Tom Dalgety has 3 albums and a two singles (Human Crime, Hear me Out)
So I guess he already surpased Gil.

Pleasant Pixies, that doesn't sound so good, IMHO

Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2022 :  06:54:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Four with Gil Norton, no? Doolittle, Bossanova, Trompe, and Indie Cindy.
Go to Top of Page

QuaBear
- FB Fan -

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2022 :  07:04:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nomatterday has got to be one of my favorites from all of 2.0
Go to Top of Page

QuaBear
- FB Fan -

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2022 :  07:36:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No question the best 2.0 record...it's certainly the most "Frank Black" album of the pixies

Edited by - QuaBear on 09/29/2022 07:39:34
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2022 :  08:35:50  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

Four with Gil Norton, no? Doolittle, Bossanova, Trompe, and Indie Cindy.

Oops!

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2022 :  13:49:51  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by QuaBear

Nomatterday has got to be one of my favorites from all of 2.0

Yeah man I mean like Whatswrongwith Nomatterday?

I think it's got a good sound, I actually think it sounds almost authentic 1.0?

It's growing on me on a third listen
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2022 :  14:06:08  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It does come together on the third listen

Get Simulated has a bit of a The Kills feel to it - especially the panting vocals - also Joey's guitar has a bit of a rough but also clinical garage edge to it like Jamie Hince? Not sure if anyone else is feeling this vibe on that song
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2022 :  14:24:59  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Goes a bit fillery in the middle but You're Such A Sedducee and Doggerel are champers - got some interetsing vocal combos going on with Paz
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2022 :  14:50:41  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Not convinced on the first listen
Could be my headphones but the mix seems off

Get simulated is a Nice weird throwaway dittie
I like it the most

The opener and closer are good
Singles are solid
I love Who's more sorry now, best of the ballads

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2022 :  15:09:18  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Moon Song is still garbagio - even in the context of the album. I'm going to pretend it doesn't exist
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2022 :  15:24:20  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Doggerel (the song) has got a nice chilled beat at the start then lauches into something more rocky - great vocals and overal feel to the song. It's got a bit of Doolittle starty finishy great songs thing about it (the album)
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2022 :  15:34:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see it just dropped on Spotify, but I have to go bed now. But I had to at least try Nomatterday. And I can confirm *it's all going be OK* :) What a tune!!
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2022 :  16:07:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Almost 3 listens in I think it's pretty good. I feel like Tom producing it might be one it's issues. I saw someone else mention him being more classic rock oriented and I feel like that's holding it back. I'd rather see a producer lean into more indie rock/weirder elements.

That said I'm still enjoying some of it and trucks light Lightning and Thunder and Haunted House have been growing on me. I Lso feel like it works a little more for me when I think of it as a Frank Black (and co) album rather than a Pixies album.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2022 :  20:10:00  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm going for it again - shaving the innards

Bit concerned by the last songy feel to Doggerel though?
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
183 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2022 :  21:22:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haunted House is such a charming little pop song: the sweet, 1950s prom night nostalgia of its chorus; the Trompe-esque space sounds; the modesty and childlike wonder of its lyrics; the short but badass bridge before the final verse (those harmonies at 2:07!); that huge final verse with Joey's BTE-bonus track guitar tone contrasted by Paz's angelic singing. Never judge a book by its cover, or a song by its name!

Against Catfish Kate, Classic Masher, and Greens and Blues, Haunted House might be my pick!

"Haunted house where I want to go
I'm gonna go today
Somebody planned to stay
It never went away"

Edited by - tamefan on 09/29/2022 21:49:18
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2022 :  21:49:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tamefan

Haunted House is such a charming little pop song: the sweet, 1950s prom night nostalgia of its chorus; the Trompe-esque space sounds; the modesty of its lyrics (it's really just a few lines about a house -- that's it!); how it builds to that huge final verse with Joey's BTE-bonus track guitar tone contrasted by Paz's angelic singing. Never judge a book by its cover, or a song by its name!

Against Catfish Kate, Classic Masher, and Greens and Blues, Haunted House might be my pick!

Those 2.0 comps make total sense to me. I’d even throw Jaime Bravo in there.

I’m tripped out by Get Simulated. It’s got some good things going but lacks some dynamic changes as it goes on. In a recent interview Paz and Joey both proclaimed it z their favorite. I wonder why that is.

For me at this stage of my BF/Pixies fandom I need to just stop having expectations. Other than a portion of a song here and there, they are no longer that band (or songwriter) that confounds and impresses you at the same time. They make solid songs, with catchy if uninspired hooks with sprinkles of some nice Joey guitar riffs or Paz baselines to elevate it just a bit above the norm. Gotta accept it.

The FB group folks seem to be eating this stuff up though, so maybe I know Jack shit about what’s good with regards to this band currently.
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
183 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2022 :  22:31:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also don't care for the Frank Black solo albums and agree with you wholeheartedly. It's about managing expectations. Myself, I tried to take an open-minded and charitable approach to the album. BTE was such a generous and successful record (+singles and bonus tracks) that I figured: let Charles do what he wants, whatever that sounds like.

BTE and HC, especially, were attempts to recreate the 1.0. magic. Charles has done his best at fan service; he's earned being free from the shackles of Pixies 1.0. conventions. We're 4 albums into 2.0. Let them evolve into something new.

Doggerel's better than I expected; it's at least as good as Head Carrier. I don't think it's in league with BTE, but that's okay. So many of my favorite bands have released mediocre records in recent years. I'm not sure why. Something's off with the culture. I'm grateful to have new good music from a band that I love. This is good enough.

Edited by - tamefan on 09/29/2022 22:40:37
Go to Top of Page

AG80
- FB Fan -

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2022 :  22:37:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just finished my first listen of Doggerel all the way through. It's a very interesting album. Get Simulated, You're Such a Sadducee, Doggerel are my current favorites.

I'm feeling fine in the modern age.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2022 :  22:50:21  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Get Simulated is just funny, I think that's why I like it
The chorus of Who's me sorry is beautiful
Title track has a nice feel

Very diverse record
A shame about the tempo's (too slow)
Arrangements (not enough going on)
And why on earth does it fade out?

Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2022 :  23:07:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Nomatterday is great. Some nice lyrics and it's musically interesting. Then Vault of Heaven came on and I had to switch off, mostly because I have to get ready for work but also because it's so dull. Will listen to the full album later but that opening song has given me a tiny glimpse of hope.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2022 :  23:11:36  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Still think VoH is one of the better moments
Especially from Joey, who is a little too chill on this record

Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2022 :  23:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking forward to hearing Nomatterday live. You can tell it's essentially two demos bolted together, but I like it.

As with others, I'd have liked a few faster, more abrasive songs, but there are some great tunes here. Nice production touches too!

'Who's More Sorry Now?', as expected, is a truly lovely song. 'Get Simulated', 'You're Such a Sadducee' and the title track are fab.

Edited by - Ziggy on 09/30/2022 00:10:39
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2022 :  00:15:27  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Pagan Man is a bit embarrassing
Paz should have sung it
That would have been cute
Frank can't really sing those high notes, not with the laid back guitars behind him

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2022 :  00:18:10  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
For me it's a 6 or a 7/10 and BTE was a solid 8.5

Bossanova
Trompe le Monde

Doolittle
Surfer Rosa

Come on Pilgrim

Beneath the Eyrie

Doggerel
Head Carrier
Indie Cindy