Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2022 :  11:24:44  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't when it comes to trying to sound like the Pixies. If he does it, it comes across as kind of fake or forcing it, because we all know his songwriting style changed a lot after the Pixies and it is kind of strange to go backwards to writing like you are a 20 year old again.

But if he doesn't it's just like well, he's forcing the Pixies bandmembers to basically play Frank and the Catholics songs, and that's a strange situation, and the songs aren't as dynamic and unpredictable and don't really feel like what Pixies songs typically should be.

I do not have the answers...
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2022 :  07:22:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I personally think BTE stuck a nice middle course between those two extremes.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2022 :  07:58:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just realised what Joey's guitar stabs on Moon On reminded me of, namely the verse in Rio by Duran Duran. Maybe Doggerel will be embracing a New Romantic style.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2022 :  08:09:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

Frank is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't when it comes to trying to sound like the Pixies. If he does it, it comes across as kind of fake or forcing it, because we all know his songwriting style changed a lot after the Pixies and it is kind of strange to go backwards to writing like you are a 20 year old again.

But if he doesn't it's just like well, he's forcing the Pixies bandmembers to basically play Frank and the Catholics songs, and that's a strange situation, and the songs aren't as dynamic and unpredictable and don't really feel like what Pixies songs typically should be.

I do not have the answers...

I think if it weren’t a business related decision the answer could have been don’t use the name Pixies for what you, Joey, Dave, and Kim S / Paz are doing. Maybe call it “Pix and Co” like the Dead or something. I don’t think the 2.0 songs will ever mix in with the 1.0 songs at a concert or on your playlist. But I love both and so do most of you.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2022 :  03:46:06  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I was wondering before about keyboard sounding pads in the podcast-snippets.

It's Paz herself! See at Chris Bigg's insta:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CgCi6GosC6p/

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2022 :  04:54:13  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Another nice bit of info:
"Doggerel is an album that pounced into being. Where Francis – aka Charles Thompson IV – would usually show up to album sessions with scraps of songs that needed working up as a group, this time he arrived with 40 finished songs in the bank, largely penned in a rush of productivity over the winter of 2021-2. For a year or more he’d been compiling Fifties-inspired country songs for an Americana solo album he was planning to make with Guided By Voices’ Bobby Bare Jr. But in initial remote Pixies sessions late in 2021 – producer Tom Dalgety working with Charles in Massachusetts before heading to LA to finish tracks with the rest of the band – Dalgety picked one of those tracks, ‘Human Crime’, to record with the band, and upended Pixies’ entire mindset."

Maybe this was posted before, don't know

But a country album turns Pixies songs is very nice to know
Another crossover with GBV (since Dave Phillips also played with Robert Pollard)!

find the whole bio here:
https://www.herfitzpr.net/pixies-doggerel-2022-3-bio-ex

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2022 :  05:02:38  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This is also very good:
"“not necessarily without any sophistication or complexity but it's nuanced…The punky punk stuff, I really like playing it but you just cannot artificially create that shit. I'm very hesitant to go there nowadays, simply because I know if I try to force it in any kind of way it's gonna fall flat, and there's all these other forms and moods that I'm interested in that when I attempt those, they don't fall flat to me. There's a lot of volume out there, but at some point the technology catches up with itself and it's like, okay, we can all be loud if we want to, we can all be as distorted as we want to, we can all be as rip-your-head-off as you want to. We can't really take it any further. Can we focus on some other things now? We’ve kind of done that. I want to try to make music that doesn't even involve electricity. I started to think like that, I started to think parameters.”

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2022 :  05:07:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wait, he was working on a solo album in 2021? Sign me up please
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
233 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2022 :  05:30:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sign me up for a Fifties-inspired Americana solo album as well! I hope this sees the light of day.
-oddball
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2022 :  06:21:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah damn, that's too bad, I would have been interested in the solo album. I think Human Crime would have worked much better as an off-beat 50s country song than a power-pop single (the piano instrumental, for example, is lovely).

Edit: sounds like the record might still be on, but the Pixies got first dibs on any of the songs that Charles' originally wrote with the country album in mind. Wouldn't mind a country re-recording of Human Crime on the other album.

Edited by - Brank_Flack on 08/29/2022 06:34:33
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2022 :  09:26:58  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There's a moon one totally sounds 50s/60s to me

Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1074 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2022 :  10:03:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

Another nice bit of info:
"Doggerel is an album that pounced into being. Where Francis – aka Charles Thompson IV – would usually show up to album sessions with scraps of songs that needed working up as a group, this time he arrived with 40 finished songs in the bank, largely penned in a rush of productivity over the winter of 2021-2. For a year or more he’d been compiling Fifties-inspired country songs for an Americana solo album he was planning to make with Guided By Voices’ Bobby Bare Jr. But in initial remote Pixies sessions late in 2021 – producer Tom Dalgety working with Charles in Massachusetts before heading to LA to finish tracks with the rest of the band – Dalgety picked one of those tracks, ‘Human Crime’, to record with the band, and upended Pixies’ entire mindset."

Maybe this was posted before, don't know

But a country album turns Pixies songs is very nice to know
Another crossover with GBV (since Dave Phillips also played with Robert Pollard)!

find the whole bio here:
https://www.herfitzpr.net/pixies-doggerel-2022-3-bio-ex

Thanks for posting, that's interesting to hear. Bobby Bare Jr is credited as singing backing vocals on FM/RM.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2022 :  17:30:12  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In shock
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2022 :  21:56:05  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd rather have 80's Americana than 50's Americana, but a FMFM2 album would not go down badly with me - we need to do something to stop Dalgety nicking any more tracks though? #MakeFrankBlackSoloAlbumsGreatAgain
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2022 :  01:53:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great to read that expanded bio!
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2022 :  13:13:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I genuinely wonder whether Vault of Heaven was conceived for the country or Pixies album?
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2022 :  08:59:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get ready for the Dregs of the Wine (tomorrow apparently)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R4fZsUYlzo

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2022 :  13:15:21  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Get ready for the Dregs of the Wine (tomorrow apparently)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R4fZsUYlzo

Wow, Good find. Nothing to hear yet

Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
233 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2022 :  15:45:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess it's "tomorrow" somewhere in the world:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAbIGiv8KDU
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2022 :  17:32:20  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pixies meets The Who?

Hmm

Ok....I will say this is more what I want out of the band in terms of the "what the hell did I just hear?" factor. Kind of exciting. Do I LIKE the song? Not sure yet. But this to me feels like the Pixies. That kind of don't give a fuck feel. Like the song isn't finished yet but put it the fuck on the album anyway.

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 09/05/2022 17:35:00
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2022 :  19:37:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

Pixies meets The Who?

Hmm

Ok....I will say this is more what I want out of the band in terms of the "what the hell did I just hear?" factor. Kind of exciting. Do I LIKE the song? Not sure yet. But this to me feels like the Pixies. That kind of don't give a fuck feel. Like the song isn't finished yet but put it the fuck on the album anyway.

I totally agree. First thoughts:

A little off-kilter. Enough to make me listen again to see what I may have missed, and what BF is talking about, and isn’t as cookie cutter as the last single. BF’s vocals vary throughout which is always good. Starting to think the spoken word approach sounds better on him these days. It’s playful, quirky, unique. His yells are solid too. The song is still a little too straightforward in terms of structure but different enough I guess.

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2022 :  20:40:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love it

Weird

Fun

Wanted more of it

Great track
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2022 :  21:35:42  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Love the parlando bits
Those were also present in the last podcast

We also heard the little solo there
And it's a good little piece of Joey

Best of the three singles

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2022 :  23:13:32  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Listening on spotify with the other tracks together.
25% of Doggerel, pretty nice

I will never grow tired of new FBF

Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1074 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2022 :  00:51:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last section reminds me of the second half of Dog Sleep. I need a few more listens to see what I think of it. On first impressions I find it better than moon but I prefer vault.
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2022 :  04:41:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting song indeed! The opening spoken lines deal with the unofficial reason why he separated from Jean if I remember well. He evoked that several times in interviews.
I'm curious to hear the rest of the album, anyway!

++++
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2022 :  04:52:04  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yep, the whole story is about Joey and Frank and their first wives

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2022 :  06:05:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the first 3 Doggerel songs are very strong. The man is doing it right. It’s just good music, very listenable. Looking forward to the balance of the album.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2022 :  07:07:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haven't listened yet, but this is the one Joey wrote the music for - correct?
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2022 :  07:19:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

Yes - plus he wrote the lyrics to 'Pagan Man'. Don't think we've heard any snippets from that yet (along with a few others).
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2022 :  08:00:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

Yes - plus he wrote the lyrics to 'Pagan Man'. Don't think we've heard any snippets from that yet (along with a few others).

Does that mean Dregs and Pagan do not count among the 40 finished songs that Frank showed up with?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2022 :  08:20:13  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I believe so, maybe Pagan with a different set of lyrics
But Dregs of the wine came from Joey

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2022 :  09:57:57  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This Will be gone soon, Pixies recording vocals
https://instagram.com/stories/tomdalgety/2921302036858235648?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2022 :  10:13:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

I believe so, maybe Pagan with a different set of lyrics
But Dregs of the wine came from Joey

The way Charles and Joey told it - Charles had "the chords", but a lyric hadn't come together by that point. Hence Joey having a go.

I take the "showing up to the sessions with 40 songs" thing with a pinch of salt. The story has evolved a little of late with the country album revelations, hasn't it?
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2022 :  10:25:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I liked Dregs of the Wine upon first listen. Good vocal take by Charles, particularly in the verses, and I enjoyed the unpredictability of the song structure.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000