Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2022 :  05:56:35  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

I'm trying to think of a word that rhymes with Dalgety so that one of you forum musicians can write a song about him.

There once was a man called Dalgety
He ate a lot of spaghetti
And it was made by Joey Santiagy

There you go - I can't write songs for shit I did try a couple of times and thoroughly hated the entire experience.. so feel free anyone to take inspiration from me, or don't please

I did used to have a set of nimble classical guitar fingers on me years ago - rusty as shit now though which I wish wasn't the case

Edited by - pot on 08/12/2022 05:57:21
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2022 :  07:09:52  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Of the 35 songs at Amsterdam concert 6 are 2.0. That seems to be the ratio they have been doing. I still think if they could add in a few from IC and a couple more from HC and BTE then everybody would be happy. Well, not everybody probably.

I'm trying to think of a word that rhymes with Dalgety so that one of you forum musicians can write a song about him.

I went with my Friends and they like all the hits but would have loved some BTE

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2022 :  08:11:00  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite
I'd add Cactus and Bone Machine. I'd be happy with a new producer but I am not sure it would make so much difference. Imagine if Dalgety had produced every Pixies 2.0 record, we'd all be going bring back Gil Norton. When I heard Gil was producing the first comeback album I was stoked. But in the end while Indie Cindy of course has some great moments it's still quite flawed and I don't think Gil got the best out of them (mind you losing your bass player in the middle of recording didn't help). I listen to BTE so much more than IC.

No way Bone Machine is a mainstream accessible single. I mean WHAT?! I'd argue Cactus isn't either. There's no chorus. My entire point about Dalgety, and maybe this is Frank's current songwriting mode too (or what Dalgety CHOOSES from the demos he's given) is...again...every song, just a formulaic pop rock song with everything you'd expect. Here's the verse, the chorus, a quieter verse, here's the guitar solo, etc, etc. The time signature, 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4....no surprises. Surfer Rosa songs don't do that. Including Bone Machine and Cactus.

I feel the total opposite of you. I listen to IC so much more than BTE because it manages to surprise me and actually feel like a Pixies album. Its got freaks and experiments and the rock songs fucking rock and FBF's voice is incredible on it. The bad mastering and two songs I dislike bothers me a lot and makes it hard to get through one sitting. But it's so much more interesting a record than BTE, which I find to be competent, but not interesting.

I'll say this, which may be confusing. I think if BTE was a Catholics record it would appeal to me more. But something about how overproduced and polished it is. I get that Doolittle is polished, but there's still something raw and scary and "indie" about it. Maybe I'm just being a hipster. I just want some outside the box ideas and Dalgety's not the guy for that. I also fear Dalgety does things like lining up the drums to a grid, using autotune, etc, etc, just all these modern producing trends I despise. I don't know for a fact he does, but the stuff sounds that way to me. I should also note I detect autotune on IC so I'm not saying it's totally perfect.

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 08/12/2022 08:17:52
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2022 :  08:31:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with a lot of that.

I’m not sure 2.0 has done anything scary yet
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2022 :  10:28:53  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

I agree with a lot of that.

I’m not sure 2.0 has done anything scary yet

Some lines in BTE are odd and scary

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2022 :  10:38:22  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I hear more polish and modern tricks on IC than BTE
BTE sounds overproduced in a 80s kind of way
Not that modern (to me)

Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2022 :  11:51:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

quote:
I'd add Cactus and Bone Machine. I'd be happy with a new producer but I am not sure it would make so much difference. Imagine if Dalgety had produced every Pixies 2.0 record, we'd all be going bring back Gil Norton. When I heard Gil was producing the first comeback album I was stoked. But in the end while Indie Cindy of course has some great moments it's still quite flawed and I don't think Gil got the best out of them (mind you losing your bass player in the middle of recording didn't help). I listen to BTE so much more than IC.

No way Bone Machine is a mainstream accessible single. I mean WHAT?! I'd argue Cactus isn't either. There's no chorus. My entire point about Dalgety, and maybe this is Frank's current songwriting mode too (or what Dalgety CHOOSES from the demos he's given) is...again...every song, just a formulaic pop rock song with everything you'd expect. Here's the verse, the chorus, a quieter verse, here's the guitar solo, etc, etc. The time signature, 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4....no surprises. Surfer Rosa songs don't do that. Including Bone Machine and Cactus.

I feel the total opposite of you. I listen to IC so much more than BTE because it manages to surprise me and actually feel like a Pixies album. Its got freaks and experiments and the rock songs fucking rock and FBF's voice is incredible on it. The bad mastering and two songs I dislike bothers me a lot and makes it hard to get through one sitting. But it's so much more interesting a record than BTE, which I find to be competent, but not interesting.

I'll say this, which may be confusing. I think if BTE was a Catholics record it would appeal to me more. But something about how overproduced and polished it is. I get that Doolittle is polished, but there's still something raw and scary and "indie" about it. Maybe I'm just being a hipster. I just want some outside the box ideas and Dalgety's not the guy for that. I also fear Dalgety does things like lining up the drums to a grid, using autotune, etc, etc, just all these modern producing trends I despise. I don't know for a fact he does, but the stuff sounds that way to me. I should also note I detect autotune on IC so I'm not saying it's totally perfect.

I am not claiming Bone Machine is a mainstream accessible single. But it is a punchy opener that says this-is-who-we-are-whaddya-think? It’s a big sing-along at concerts when they play it. Why is that, because it’s an alternative classic.

Hey Jude, Golden Brown, Pinball Wizard, Losing my Religion. All big songs , all big hits with no chorus (OK I admit I looked them up).

I get the feeling I don’t think so deeply about this aspect as much as you do. I’m more of a feeling guy I guess. But for me several songs on IC sound a bit in forced Pixies mode (BagBoy, Hexe, Indie Cindy itself). I prefer the more kinda low-key tunes Ring the Bell, Magdalena, Snakes, Silver Snail say. And these are more in keeping with BTE songs. I mean it's not as if the demos on BTE which are very popular on here are full of mad wonky early stye stylings either. Don’t get me wrong I also prefer the more hands off scruffy production on these demos. I just feel overall Frank is back in a groove now and it’s working for me much better even if I am not going WTF every 30 seconds into each song like I was 30 years ago…

Edited by - Sprite on 08/13/2022 01:46:40
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2022 :  11:58:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

quote:

I don't get this Pixies are trying to produce big hit rock/pop songs at all. It was the same back in day - Debaser, Euphrates, Gigantic, HCYM, Levitate Me, WIMM, Gouge they are all great pop songs. I've always thought the Pixies have far more in common with Abba or Buzzcocks than Nirvana or Sonic Youth. Yes I get some of the wonderful and weirdo stylings from the early days are gone. But I mean we are talking about music written in the flush of youth. Charles never lost his sense of melody which is what I dig most of all.

One part I have to quibble with: Kurt Cobain was also a great writer of melody who also listened to a lot of Abba and the early Beatles. As we've read a million times, Kurt Cobain wanted to rip off Debaser because he thought it was a perfect "pop" song. So I do think Nirvana and the Pixies have a very similar DNA (even if there are sharp points of departure). I'll admit Nirvana was my first love as a tweenager and pointed me towards the Pixies as a teen.

Not meaning to diss Nirvana. I am aware Kurt enjoyed Abba and of course idolised the Pixies. He had a lot of pain, angst, cynicism and it comes across whereas it seems much less serious (and effortless with the Pixies). I mean listening to Surfer Rosa makes my smile and laugh. I can't say the same about In Utero even though it's a pretty cool record.

Edited by - Sprite on 08/12/2022 11:59:50
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2022 :  13:37:00  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

I hear more polish and modern tricks on IC than BTE

IC is polished but it's produced with a real creative vision and purpose. It's making bold choices and it's treating each song like its own universe. The songs aren't easy to predict beat for beat, the sound of IC is singular and specific. Gil Norton said let's make this album as if the Pixies went away to outer space and are coming back home. It somehow actually sounds like that.

It's not perfect, obviously. But I think it's more interesting than BTE and that Norton captured some of that old magic.

By saying BTE is polished, I just mean its like all the weirdness has been polished off so that they can make these music videos and have tons of songs be singles. IC doesn't feel like that to me. BTE also sounds very on the grid, and IC doesn't to me. I could be wrong about a lot of this stuff though. But IC pulls me back for relistens, like there's more to discover every time. BTE...I feel like I got it.

The idea of Bone Machine being an alternative classic. Yeah it's a classic because it's totally insane and scary and weird and it shocked the hell out of people and it still shocks me when I put on Surfer Rosa.

The problem with so much of the new Pixies material, while they are pleasant enough songs, I just don't think you can expect an audience to go nuts at a show for something like Vault of Heaven, etc (though I think some IC songs can tear the house down.) They are just too "straight"...In my mind it's like the total opposite of what people love about the band. And I hate to say it because Frank's avoided this cliche for most of his career, it really feels like that thing of the band you used to love is becoming kinda boring, and dreading new material at a show because it brings the whole room down. (though as I've said, I'd welcome new material for the novelty of it if I were to see Pixies live.)

This is all being said with the acknowledgment I prefer Frank's straighter solo work to any Pixies stuff. I mean I covered Coastline at a dozen of my concerts I've performed. But for some reason him inputting that mode into the Pixies band framework just has not worked for me...I think with the Catholics it felt more from the heart and "fuck anyone who doesn't like it or think it should sound like the Pixies." But this new stuff is a weird forcing a square peg into a round hole, and it feels more like trying to get more ears on the songs by being very listenable and well produced...but it's like the total wrong approach.

Like if anything they should go more towards a Bone Machine feel (I know you can't "force" that either) to become legends again. I honestly just think the band is having a kind of identity issue and I can't figure out what they're doing or going for. This got long, sorry.

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 08/12/2022 23:25:16
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2022 :  22:45:11  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Take a little more drink (squash a rattle rattle bang bang)

Spinned BTE yesterday and it's full of special moments

It doesn't tear the place down (no Boom or Hexe energy)
But it's such a nice combination of introvert FBF and Joey's work
Paz is also great.

" I believe in Mickey, Laura, The saint"

Joey was a beast on IC, and from Head Carrier on he's been more "normal"
David is also going for more classic drumming

The new songs (the four they played on this tour) are even more straight forward
The crowd seems to like them though.

Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2022 :  23:26:38  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That bridge for Long Rider is awesome but I can't stand the rest of the song. Like a Weezer reject.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2022 :  01:44:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That’s even funnier than the time around EP1 that somebody here said another Another Toe sounds like the Foo Fighters. Fair play to you, that made me laugh out loud
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2022 :  01:53:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I think Long Rider is awful too. Possibly the worst Pixies song. I think a chunk of BTE is quite poor but luckily there are some great moments (Boone, Death Horizon). Initially really liked Bird of Prey and This Is My Fate but they are a little ''slight'', not helped by the production. They're fun songs but lacking oomph. If they had some of the same energy as the BTE demos they'd be great. St. Nazaire has it to be fair.

I really pine for a new producer as well. The new songs sound a bit lifeless and uninspired again. Would love another Painter Man Is Coming.

Edited by - The Maharal on 08/13/2022 01:53:51
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2022 :  02:59:15  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Why did they decide to work with Dalgety and not stay with Gil Norton?

I'm off to get stoned in my garden and listen to the entire Indy Cindy album in the sun and try to derive something new from it - will report back later.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2022 :  03:19:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eh because IC was critically panned?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2022 :  03:32:07  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry I wasn't paying attention back then.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2022 :  06:58:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

David is also going for more classic drumming

Not to make everything about Dagelty, but I do remember many times in the podcast where he would try and get David to do simple/workmanlike rhythms, and then praise him for his restraint. The unpredictability and energy of David's drums are a big (and underappreciated) part of their sound and I think it's really been reigned in.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2022 :  07:01:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Why did they decide to work with Dalgety and not stay with Gil Norton?

I'm off to get stoned in my garden and listen to the entire Indy Cindy album in the sun and try to derive something new from it - will report back later.

Yeah, I think there was some dissatisfaction even among the band that some of the songs had a bit too much sheen/didn't rock enough, so it makes sense that their manager brought Tom in as someone who primarily works on hard rock records. I think that was also behind a lot of the somewhat confused comments when Head Carrier came out that they sounded more like the Pixies again.

Edit: I believe there was a comment to the effect in an interview where one of the band members (Joey perhaps?) that hinted that they weren't entirely happy/sure with the sound of IC (specifically of it not being heavy enough, or something to that effect) and that they would probably mix things up with a new producer for the next album.

I agree with Trouble that for all its flaws, Gil did have a vision in mind (the Pixies coming back to earth after travelling in space all these years they were defunct) and did execute it pretty well.

Edited by - Brank_Flack on 08/13/2022 07:10:30
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2022 :  08:43:36  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Not to make everything about Dagelty, but I do remember many times in the podcast where he would try and get David to do simple/workmanlike rhythms, and then praise him for his restraint. The unpredictability and energy of David's drums are a big (and underappreciated) part of their sound and I think it's really been reigned in.

Yeah, my friend who listened to the show had a similar impression. He was saying Dave does a beat, and the narrator is like "he managed to d it...in one take!" and my friend was like "BECAUSE THE PRODUCER IS GOING TO CUT AND PASTE IT AND PUT IT ON A GRID!"
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2022 :  08:47:42  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Yeah, I think there was some dissatisfaction even among the band that some of the songs had a bit too much sheen/didn't rock enough, so it makes sense that their manager brought Tom in as someone who primarily works on hard rock records. I think that was also behind a lot of the somewhat confused comments when Head Carrier came out that they sounded more like the Pixies again.

Edit: I believe there was a comment to the effect in an interview where one of the band members (Joey perhaps?) that hinted that they weren't entirely happy/sure with the sound of IC (specifically of it not being heavy enough, or something to that effect) and that they would probably mix things up with a new producer for the next album.

This is the kind of thing that makes me feel like I live in Crazy Town. IC is so insanely heavy and rocking and Head Carrier and BTE are so tame by comparison. What is wrong with people's ears?!? I'm not saying Dalgety doesn't get a solid guitar sound. But the mixes on IC are just so overwhelming and intense. Compare Blue Eyed Hex to Baals Back. Baals Back to me sounds like an unfinished demo, just a horrible mix. Blue Eyed Hex is like a full on screaming masterpiece.

Even stuff like the title track, Indie Cindy, the verses are so aggressive and rocking and feel very close to classic Pixies to me. The strange rhythm and timing helps with that too, and also the drums on that album feel more free and experimental than on HC (for sure) and IC...
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2022 :  10:12:13  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
In defence of the producer:

Dalgety produced the demo's everybody likes too, you know
I'm sure that David is playing basic rhythms because he wants too
Classic grip is his idea, I'm sure

They are getting older and they don't want to do that punkie stuff at the moment

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2022 :  10:15:46  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Love Long Rider although that one ís overproduced
The solo Paz vocal from the podcast sounds some much better

The chorus does sound like Weezer but the verses and breaks are totally something else
Rivers Cuomo would never play such leads too

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2022 :  10:19:08  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My wife says the verse vocal melody of Long Rider is like a wave
Good combination of lyrics and music

Go to Top of Page

cptnpasty
- FB Fan -

Spain
151 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2022 :  06:56:03  Show Profile  Visit cptnpasty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The more I listen to those cleaned-up audio clips the more I love them.

www.guillermostitch.com
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2022 :  01:05:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

This is the kind of thing that makes me feel like I live in Crazy Town. IC is so insanely heavy and rocking and Head Carrier and BTE are so tame by comparison. What is wrong with people's ears?!? I'm not saying Dalgety doesn't get a solid guitar sound. But the mixes on IC are just so overwhelming and intense. Compare Blue Eyed Hex to Baals Back. Baals Back to me sounds like an unfinished demo, just a horrible mix. Blue Eyed Hex is like a full on screaming masterpiece.

Even stuff like the title track, Indie Cindy, the verses are so aggressive and rocking and feel very close to classic Pixies to me. The strange rhythm and timing helps with that too, and also the drums on that album feel more free and experimental than on HC (for sure) and IC...

Agreed. 'Baal's Back' is one of the worst sounding ones on 'Head Carrier'. The title track is odd too, sounding like some kind of hastily-recorded radio session, whilst other tracks sound overproduced, with heavy autotune on the vocal too.

What's interesting with 'Indie Cindy' are the songs that didn't make it. There's evidence 'Classic Masher', 'Oona' and 'Um Chagga Lagga' seem to have existed well before the HC sessions (with multiple live solo airings for the former). Doesn't 'Um Chagga Lagga' date back to the 'Guncotton' sessions?

It is admirable how the band carried on with the 'Indie Cindy' sessions after Kim dropped out. We've never quite heard how far along the band were with recording at that point.

Joey said in an interview around the time of release that only four songs that made it onto the record had been properly worked out by the band prior to going into the studio.

I like the album and still listen to it, but struggle with some of the choices. There's the slow pace of many of the songs, and the length of them too! Plus the eccentric release approach of the EPs, coupled with the anticlimax of a complete album that we'd already heard in full!

I'm looking forward to Doggerel, and whatever came out of the latest Rockfield session too!

Edited by - Ziggy on 08/15/2022 01:22:54
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2022 :  05:17:16  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cptnpasty

The more I listen to those cleaned-up audio clips the more I love them.

www.guillermostitch.com

Yes, gonna listen to them again.

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2022 :  05:30:14  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by auxfnx

so i took the clips of the new songs from the podcast and removed the talking from on top of it (using some of the amazing new AI tech for splitting songs into stems, removing vocals, etc). did a bit of work to balance the levels so its not fading in and out and voila, for anyone who is interested here are the un-narrated music clips from the podcast: https://mega.nz/folder/f0VE1YQI#6sx0omdEUTgfRSN_ZUpyCw

nothing here that isn't already freely available but its a lot easier to listen to the music previews this way. the quality isn't amazing - think about it as if its a low quality mp3, that's kinda what it sounds like. but no trace of the narration. not going to be for everyone, i know there are a lot of people who don't want to spoil it for themselves, but for anyone else, enjoy!

So great, thanks again.

Doggerel just "clicked" here.
And it's not even out yet!

Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2022 :  06:12:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pixies these days are essentially FB + Catholics 2.0, something a lot us wished for anyway, right? Would sound even more like this if they would avoid any producer.

What I've heard from Doggerel so far lyrically (btw, I have a lot of distaste for this album name, but I admit I just don't like dogs) sounds like another FB divorce album (just like SMYT).

Keep on coming!

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2022 :  12:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by two reelers

Pixies these days are essentially FB + Catholics 2.0, something a lot us wished for anyway, right? Would sound even more like this if they would avoid any producer.

What I've heard from Doggerel so far lyrically (btw, I have a lot of distaste for this album name, but I admit I just don't like dogs) sounds like another FB divorce album (just like SMYT).

Keep on coming!

BTE certainly had that vibe too. And those 'written in the studio' songs are some of the highlights also.

I'm delighted they have such a hunger to record, to be honest.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2022 :  12:40:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Keep on coming!

Agree with a lot of this (except I like dogs in general).
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2022 :  12:44:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

quote:

Keep on coming!

BTE certainly had that vibe too. And those 'written in the studio' songs are some of the highlights also.

I'm delighted they have such a hunger to record, to be honest.

Ziggy you have nailed it there. If we didn't have a Dalgety Pixies and instead we got couple of vapid NSE style efforts every four years I think I would have given up on FB by now.

Edited by - Sprite on 08/16/2022 07:33:44
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2022 :  05:19:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed, always thankful just for the fact that he’s still doing it
Go to Top of Page

rivum
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2022 :  07:36:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

it's funny, back when indie cindy came out I was underwhelmed and when Head Carrier came out I really liked that.
Now, I've gone back and revisited both and I find I really enjoy Indie Cindy (and can sing along to most of it, amazingly). It also sounds very well-recorded/mixed.
Head Carrier I found I didn't enjoy nearly as much as I remembered. Also, it sounds really muddy and not a lot of dynamic range which IC seems to have way more of.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2022 :  07:39:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rivum

quote:

it's funny, back when indie cindy came out I was underwhelmed and when Head Carrier came out I really liked that.
Now, I've gone back and revisited both and I find I really enjoy Indie Cindy (and can sing along to most of it, amazingly). It also sounds very well-recorded/mixed.
Head Carrier I found I didn't enjoy nearly as much as I remembered. Also, it sounds really muddy and not a lot of dynamic range which IC seems to have way more of.

I had a somewhat similar experience as well. Maybe the first 2.0 album was destined to get worse reviews than the second one? In any case, IC stock has risen and HC stock has fallen in my opinion. Neither is a favorite FBF album of mine, but they both have some special moments.
Go to Top of Page

QuaBear
- FB Fan -

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2022 :  08:17:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know, the 2.0 records have some great tracks, but as whole records, there isn't just that "punch" that 1.0 have, or just that extra "umph." Maybe that is attributed to being young, or what have you, I don't know. I also think that all the 2.0 records are somewhat trying too hard to "sound like the pixies." I will say that at least Indie Cindy does the least of that, and I do think Bag Boy is the best 2.0 song, no question. However, I do love Daniel Boone as well....
That being said, again, there are some great tracks on all the 2.0 records...Also, the songs from Doggerel seem like it's not trying hard to sound like the Pixies....

If I had to rank 2.0 records:

1.Indie Cindy
2.BTE
3.Head Carrier

Edited by - QuaBear on 08/16/2022 08:21:19
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page