Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2022 :  21:40:02  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sure, it works. But it's boring. Just another reason I don't feel excited to catch a show. So many of my favorite concert memories is fun banter from bands I love.
Go to Top of Page

cptnpasty
- FB Fan -

Spain
151 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2022 :  04:26:48  Show Profile  Visit cptnpasty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Saw them a few times in the early days including (to my eternal delight) the legendary Mean Fiddler gig with Throwing Muses, first night. It wasn't their first European gig as far as I know—that was in the Netherlands?—but it was their first in the UK, the country that was to take them to heart.

Zero banter there, or in the Town & Country, or elesewhere at the time.

quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Re: the no banter during live shows phenomenon, someone correct me if I'm wrong but this is how I understand it to have played out:

1) Early 1.0 shows had banter
2) Later 1.0 shows had little to no banter, perhaps due to certain dynamics within band personalities
3) Early 2.0 (pre-Paz) shows had banter, first with Kim #1 then with Kim #2
4) Later 2.0 (Paz era) shows had no banter

Also, early FB tours had tons of banter, as did plenty of FB&C's shows, as did some later FB solo shows

Is this accurate?

www.guillermostitch.com
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2022 :  22:48:29  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cptnpasty

Saw them a few times in the early days including (to my eternal delight) the legendary Mean Fiddler gig with Throwing Muses, first night. It wasn't their first European gig as far as I know—that was in the Netherlands?—but it was their first in the UK, the country that was to take them to heart.

Zero banter there, or in the Town & Country, or elesewhere at the time.

Thanks, guillermo
We don't need banter, especially if the (new) music is as exciting as the old days.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?

Edited by - billgoodman on 08/07/2022 22:48:56
Go to Top of Page

auxfnx
- FB Fan -

Ireland
29 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2022 :  02:24:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New single is Vault of Heaven, coming out tomorrow!
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2022 :  02:36:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by auxfnx

New single is Vault of Heaven, coming out tomorrow!

Looking forward to hearing the studio version properly. There's likely to be another single in advance of the album release too.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2022 :  03:10:04  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That sound in the teaser is so good
I know the song isn't that exciting
But if the recording is...

Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2022 :  08:57:41  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
With Dalgety producing I'm sure it won't be.

I was listening to BTE again. For the first time I heard Joey's amazing solo in Long Rider. A huge highlight of the podcast is when he records that and Tom plays it for Paz and how excited they are. Cut to the finished album and it's totally buried in the mix, I never even NOTICED IT BEFORE.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2022 :  11:50:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking forward to it because, why not.

Trouble, are you going to see TMBG in Jersey this summer? (apologies to everyone reading this thread, not trying to derail)
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2022 :  12:46:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooh new Pixies song tomorrow, yippee!
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2022 :  13:09:43  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are they going to do another Lamacq Show premier (BBC Radio 6) followed by a live YouTube release again?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2022 :  20:36:19  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
30 sec preview

https://youtu.be/csTJW6A1174

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2022 :  22:47:00  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What a wet signal
Is this the most surf Joey has ever sounded?

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2022 :  22:47:50  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

With Dalgety producing I'm sure it won't be.

I was listening to BTE again. For the first time I heard Joey's amazing solo in Long Rider. A huge highlight of the podcast is when he records that and Tom plays it for Paz and how excited they are. Cut to the finished album and it's totally buried in the mix, I never even NOTICED IT BEFORE.

I agree that te mixing of that song was a let down for me, when I first heard it after listening to the podcast.

I love the mixing on other songs though and the overall (over)use of delay.

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2022 :  04:09:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it out yet?

Or still locked in the vault?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2022 :  04:33:32  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Locked. 18.30 in the Netherlands.
YT-link above should tell you everything

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2022 :  05:36:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah I see, thanks Mr. Good Man.

It does sound surfy, and definitely has some OG Joey vibes to it. Hoping it exceeds our expectations.

re: the mixing of Long Rider being wrong, that would be like me saying you're using the wrong conditioner for your hair
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2022 :  06:59:31  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you have a better conditioner I would welcome a comment on it

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2022 :  08:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like Vault of Heaven

Sounds like a tv show theme

I don’t really like 7-11 though, might go in once in a blue moon
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2022 :  08:45:00  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's like Bill and Ben sing for The Shadows - enjoyed listening to it but it's got no long term value for me - I can feel Dalgety's commercial signature coming through now and it's boaky
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2022 :  09:39:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oye,

Is it just me or Vaults of Heaven sounds like The good works of Cyrus from the BTE demos ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2022 :  09:50:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’m completely underwhelmed by this one. It’s Pixies so it’s listenable but man, nothing really interesting to grab onto here, vocally or musically. Color by numbers.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1074 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2022 :  09:54:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very pleasantly surprised by Vault of Heaven, think this may be my favourite single of this iteration (2.0 or Pixies AD or whatever they're referred to!)
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2022 :  10:00:10  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Trouble, are you going to see TMBG in Jersey this summer? (apologies to everyone reading this thread, not trying to derail)

No. Why see them in Jersey when they play NYC all the time. Jersey is such a hassle to get to. Plus I've seen them so many times at this point.

I am scared to listen to Vault of Heaven. For a long time Frank was one of the musical artists I loved who never let me down. Doggerel is just making me so nervous.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2022 :  10:14:48  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not feeling this. It’s not “bad,” it’s just… there. I swear it’s a rewrite of another pixies 2.0 or FBF song. Or two songs. Picpic is close there. It could also be that everything’s starting to sound the same.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2022 :  10:18:59  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok. Watched. Jesus, the music video...no. I appreciate that it's shot on film, but I don't like it.

Sigh...I dunno man. Is it a BAD piece of pop/rock music? No...it's perfectly listenable.

It just doesn't excite me at all. Again, not even comparing to Frank or Pixies early output. Comparing to the BTE demos, for example.

Maybe it's a "grower" not a show-er.

As for what song it sounds like, I just think it's such a basic rock melody that it just sounds like a number of other songs. What immediately jumped to mind was This Old Heartache. But that song is cool.

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 08/09/2022 10:23:01
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2022 :  10:32:22  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Love the sound, love the vocal delivery
Good song, but not great after a couple of spins
Grower? Yeah, could be. Pleased with it.

Do think the Good Works of Cyrus and This Old Heartache were better

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2022 :  10:50:21  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Also think many BTE-songs were better
But I do like the direction of this and Moon after the dark and moody BTE

Just wish the songs were a little faster and agressive

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2022 :  11:03:29  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry for another post
Listening on head phones do you think there some rough editing in the
first "Heaven" in the first chorus.

Frank suddenly sounds very alone and dry?

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2022 :  11:11:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Listened to Vault and Moon back to back.

Each made the other better.

(Then Angels come to comfort you came on and I was like Ohhhhh that’s the Frank we need.)

But again I like Vault quite a bit. I also feel like I’ve heard it before…. A bit mysterious
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2022 :  11:20:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

quote:

No. Why see them in Jersey when they play NYC all the time. Jersey is such a hassle to get to. Plus I've seen them so many times at this point.

I am scared to listen to Vault of Heaven. For a long time Frank was one of the musical artists I loved who never let me down. Doggerel is just making me so nervous.

A friend of mine is going to the Jersey show, I thought about going but I still can’t like anything past the first album which I love
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2022 :  11:35:53  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

A friend of mine is going to the Jersey show, I thought about going but I still can’t like anything past the first album which I love

You are literally the only person in the whole world that has that extremely bizarre take....
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2022 :  11:39:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Odd choice for a single. No chorus to speak of. I like Joey's riff.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2022 :  12:04:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've only listened to it twice, but as for first thoughts, I believe I'm in agreement with a number of you. The song is fine - Joey's riff is nice, there is a certain menace to it that is appealing. I think it will be a strong mood-piece on the album. That said, for a single, I don't find it particularly captivating. So ultimately I'm also in the good not great camp. Glad we have it, but hope after two singles that there will be some album tracks that prove more interesting.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2022 :  13:32:14  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Listened to Vault and Moon back to back.

Each made the other better.

(Then Angels come to comfort you came on and I was like Ohhhhh that’s the Frank we need.)

But again I like Vault quite a bit. I also feel like I’ve heard it before…. A bit mysterious

I also think Moon sounds better now

Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1074 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2022 :  14:20:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Start of the song reminds me of Pigface collaboration song called Dog;

https://youtu.be/N3dfHS65J04

Though after that first few bars it completely veers off. I can hear the Catholics similarities (maybe that's why I like it so much) that Joey guitar alone gives it an A for me.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000