Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2022 :  11:09:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I hate this Pixies album that I haven't even heard, yet!"

I'm so glad that I don't suffer from that condition.
Go to Top of Page

auxfnx
- FB Fan -

Ireland
29 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2022 :  11:20:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so i took the clips of the new songs from the podcast and removed the talking from on top of it (using some of the amazing new AI tech for splitting songs into stems, removing vocals, etc). did a bit of work to balance the levels so its not fading in and out and voila, for anyone who is interested here are the un-narrated music clips from the podcast: https://mega.nz/folder/f0VE1YQI#6sx0omdEUTgfRSN_ZUpyCw

nothing here that isn't already freely available but its a lot easier to listen to the music previews this way. the quality isn't amazing - think about it as if its a low quality mp3, that's kinda what it sounds like. but no trace of the narration. not going to be for everyone, i know there are a lot of people who don't want to spoil it for themselves, but for anyone else, enjoy!

Edited by - auxfnx on 07/25/2022 11:55:41
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2022 :  12:16:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much for doing this auxfux. Appreciate your work.

I listened to all of it and it sounds good to me. As I've said for the 100 x 100th time, 2.0 is good solo FB material and that's good enough for me,

One of tracks sounded like it could have been on IC, which is very interesting to me, like Snakes and Silver Snail, which I don't mind if they zag back in that direction.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2022 :  12:25:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But honestly, what in the world could Joey be thinking when we invokes "Doolittle" to describe this album to any degree? Maybe the finished product sounds vastly difference than these clips. (And these clips all sound good to me, but absolutely zero in common with doolittle or any 1.0 album really.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2022 :  18:03:26  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think they just snap into auto mode during interviews when they can't think of anything to say probably - oh shit, just say something about Doolittle..
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2022 :  19:32:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoaaaa this is so cool. Thanks for putting in all that work. I kept trying to listen to the clips closely and was like "shut up tom!"
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2022 :  19:41:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hearing these actually makes me way more excited for the album. Some of it sounds "legit pixies," all of it sounds like it has a lot of potential. We'll see how the vocals are. And of course with this producer it's always possible that even this chopped up cobbled together mix will be better than the final mix lol
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2022 :  19:45:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(except Thunder & Lightning ... which sounds like another step in TD's mission to turn the Pixies into a conventional classic rock band, or at they very least like something that could have been a b-side. I just want my Super Lecker damn it)
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2022 :  00:38:06  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by auxfnx

so i took the clips of the new songs from the podcast and removed the talking from on top of it (using some of the amazing new AI tech for splitting songs into stems, removing vocals, etc). did a bit of work to balance the levels so its not fading in and out and voila, for anyone who is interested here are the un-narrated music clips from the podcast: https://mega.nz/folder/f0VE1YQI#6sx0omdEUTgfRSN_ZUpyCw

nothing here that isn't already freely available but its a lot easier to listen to the music previews this way. the quality isn't amazing - think about it as if its a low quality mp3, that's kinda what it sounds like. but no trace of the narration. not going to be for everyone, i know there are a lot of people who don't want to spoil it for themselves, but for anyone else, enjoy!

Thanks man.
This is why this board is still a better place than any modern social media
(A forum like this is also a social medium right?)

The songs sounds very pop. The one thing that strikes me the most are the keys.
Some fake strings or other kind of synth pads

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

auxfnx
- FB Fan -

Ireland
29 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2022 :  01:16:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're all very welcome, I am glad there are still forums like this in order to share this kinda stuff. I do think every fan community should have a forum!

I love how the new songs are sounding from these clips. I think it's definitely more than good solo FB material. Very much a Pixies sound. But maybe my definition of Pixies has just expanded now to include the 2.0 sound. But this sounds very promising and I'm very excited to hear more.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2022 :  05:13:21  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

You're all very welcome, I am glad there are still forums like this in order to share this kinda stuff. I do think every fan community should have a forum!

I love how the new songs are sounding from these clips. I think it's definitely more than good solo FB material. Very much a Pixies sound. But maybe my definition of Pixies has just expanded now to include the 2.0 sound. But this sounds very promising and I'm very excited to hear more.

Yes, the "pixies sound" is also Pixies 2.0 now. The intro of Vault of heaven really sounds like Catfish Kate for instance.

(pssttt "good solo FB material" could be better than Pixies, we have seen some classics from FBF solo in the past)

Go to Top of Page

auxfnx
- FB Fan -

Ireland
29 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2022 :  05:17:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

(pssttt "good solo FB material" could be better than Pixies, we have seen some classics from FBF solo in the past)

Oh yeah for sure, at this stage my love of solo FB in its various forms pretty much outshines the 'classic' Pixies material!
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2022 :  05:22:17  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This is a very interesting interview:

https://www.nme.com/features/music-interviews/pixies-doggerel-new-album-black-francis-3276553?fbclid=IwAR2_7eVcYrUyXnLGrbbvQPghsbmdVObmcDZ27S-ja8kQsAmG7UxB2VKMG1c

“Gradually over the years we’ve been building up different kinds of muscles and we have a cosmopolitan sophistication that we’re able to tap into on this record more than we’ve been able to before. We’re able to get a little more cinematic.”

Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2022 :  13:50:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

But honestly, what in the world could Joey be thinking when we invokes "Doolittle" to describe this album to any degree? Maybe the finished product sounds vastly difference than these clips. (And these clips all sound good to me, but absolutely zero in common with doolittle or any 1.0 album really.

If I recall correctly, Joey explained that he sees the similarity as the diversity of types of songs on both records (I think he described it as like turning on a radio station).

Just want to second the appreciation for auxfnx's work below, and for the fact that there is still a forum community. Dean and Brian deserve our gratitude for keeping the lights on here.

Edited by - Brank_Flack on 07/26/2022 15:34:00
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2022 :  05:24:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Excellent work - thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2022 :  16:04:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That new NME interview is great. Frank is talking really openly in interviews these days.
Go to Top of Page

Meesimo
- FB Fan -

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2022 :  18:41:07  Show Profile  Visit Meesimo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Big Thanks to auxfnx! Great to hear without the voiceovers.
Overall these feel closer to BTE demos with a bit more Pixiefication.
Enjoying them all to varying degrees. Hearing Dalgety talk a bit cringingly about Haunted House, I was skeptical, but I’ve surprisingly been playing that one on repeat.
Very much looking forward to the full album versions.
Cautiously optimistic.

Meesimo
Go to Top of Page

Meesimo
- FB Fan -

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2022 :  09:44:06  Show Profile  Visit Meesimo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Big Thanks to auxfnx! Great to hear without the voiceovers.
Overall these feel closer to BTE demos with a bit more Pixiefication.
Enjoying them all to varying degrees. Hearing Dalgety talk a bit cringingly about Haunted House, I was skeptical, but I’ve surprisingly been playing that one on repeat.
Very much looking forward to the full album versions.
Cautiously optimistic.

Meesimo
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2022 :  22:41:42  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The YT videos from Sweden give us Vault of Heaven and Who's more sorry now
The latter has a beautiful chorus, breezy like Death Horizon meets Daniel Boone

Vault of Heaven's "doomfolk" starts of as a more upbeat Ready to Love
A pretty standard Pixies 2.0 song
But it also opens up with a Paz vocal that's wordless
The opening and closing melody is instantly iconic

More Bossanova Sr than Doolittle Sr

Catch them here (VoH is the second song)
https://youtu.be/L9zvqdEWrpA

Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
413 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2022 :  02:26:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks billgoodman!

Here's another vid. This one's got links to the beginning of each song listed in the description.

https://youtu.be/Yut2UfZiBPI
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2022 :  05:47:09  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Active Duck

Thanks billgoodman!

Here's another vid. This one's got links to the beginning of each song listed in the description.

Great, very useful
Thanks

(How on earth can one record a whole show on their phone?)
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2022 :  15:31:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the links!
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2022 :  09:45:14  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Active Duck

Thanks billgoodman!

Those links are all wrong....

Anyway...It's just crazy to me how these songs clash against all the older Pixies songs. But not clash in a cool Pixies way. It just feels so weird. I've said it before but to me these basically sound like Catholics songs. Oddly enough, they sound more like Catholics than all of his solo Black Francis work he did during the Pixies reunion, much of it I think would be perfect for the Pixies treatment.

I'm still worried about Doggerel. These new songs sound...boring to me. All the verses and choruses are so on-the-grid...1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4...everything just feels like generic blues country or classic rock kind of melodies and timing. These songs are making Headcarrier songs look wild and untamed.

It's so strange to me because we've heard all these rejected songs that are genuinely weird or haunting or just plain great (I love stuff like Ghost Coming, Last Night The Wolves Came Out, and obviously all the BTE rejects, etc, etc.) All three of these songs are mid tempo, very plain melodies, and the lyrics...I don't want to be mean. I'll say I don't like them.

I wonder which ones we'll be missing out on this time, and how potentially great they are.

I SINCERELY hope Doggerel proves me wrong here. Maybe it will be a good vibey album to zone out to, like Honeycomb or something. I don't know. I just always see Pixies albums as stuff to shake you awake, not put you to sleep.

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 07/30/2022 10:03:27
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2022 :  16:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm more guardedly optimistic about Dogg than I had been after hearing those snippets auxfnx posted. But after hearing some full songs live I mostly agree.

I am not by any means opposed to the poppier/radio friendly side of the Pixies - eg Dig for Fire (one of my top faves), et al. But even the songs that weren't outright deranged had something off kilter about them. These sounds pretty "standard." The verses of Who's More Sorry Now get me interested but then the chorus just....exists. It feels like a set up with no punchline.

No doubt it's a natural outcome when your filtration system is a producer with thuddingly conventional taste. Even on the songs he does let through - based on what we hear on the podcast you can easily imagine him saying, "Ehhh I don't know about this [interesting part], let's [sand that down to something predictable]."

Maybe the recording will surprise but at this point I'm just desperate for them to record with anyone else. I need to temper expectations on future material until that happens. The TD era is just too disappointing. As you mentioned, Svn Fingers and Bluefinger feel so much more alive

Edited by - TheScooper on 07/30/2022 16:33:16
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2022 :  16:35:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also get that they're older and maybe want a few less demanding things to play live...but as you mentioned stuff like Ghost Coming or O Little Cloud is so much more interesting than what we've been getting
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2022 :  17:04:16  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep. But take your example, Dig For Fire, one of my all time favorite songs ever written. Yeah it's poppy and catchy but...

- Interesting percussion intro
- The guitar and bass intros have strange timing, very intricate, interlocking parts. A standout part of the song.
- The beat comes in when you wouldn't expect it. It always catches me by surprise. This intro is not normal or mainstream.
- Frank's singing and lyrics are anything but typical or boring. On top of all this is a janky weird rhythm he's playing and Joey's pretty but kind of "off" melodies circling around it.
- Prechorus (noooo my child...) is wonderful, unexpected, as his speaking turns to singing. I especially love what Dave starts doing on the drums here in the latter part of the prechorus ("and then sheee saiiid..")
- Huge triumphant beautiful chorus, lush with harmonies, and some smattering of vocals that are unpredictable, but it's still not something I've heard before from this band or any other band.
- Odd structure: instead of a second chorus you get a Joey solo.
- Last chorus then comes in, you get layers of vocal parts with unexpected timing, it sounds like the band is alive and having fun.
- Confident sudden ending, "for fire"...

love that song...what was I talking about?

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 07/30/2022 17:12:26
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2022 :  00:43:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who's more sorry now just kind of drifts off at the end. I wonder if the album will just have it fade out or something.

Germany show says they placed The Lord Has Come Back Today, if anybody has a link please link us
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2022 :  01:09:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Who's more sorry now just kind of drifts off at the end. I wonder if the album will just have it fade out or something.

Germany show says they placed The Lord Has Come Back Today, if anybody has a link please link us

From the Rockpalast thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdD8Jj081pU

Four Doggerel songs back to back! It'll be interesting to hear how they keep experimenting with where they fit in the set.

Edited by - Ziggy on 07/31/2022 01:10:12
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2022 :  01:09:53  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Dear Bedbug, the whole show in great quality:
https://youtu.be/tdD8Jj081pU

43 minutes in you have the 4 Doggerel songs

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2022 :  02:39:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Ziggy and Bill Goodman!

That's a great clip of 2.0 right there. FBF looks great. They all do really.

Joey really carries Vault of Heaven, but I already like it better than I did the first time.

There's a Moon On is a whole lot of fun. How the video doesn't show either "Come On" is beyond me.

Who's More Sorry Now is awesome, love it.

I like the Lord Has Come Back Today too. Lots going on there.

When you watch Planet of Sound right before it it's like two entirely different bands are on this stage. Who is the real Pixies? And what a great version of Gouge right after the 2.0 set. I wish they would do like a 19 minute version of Gouge like Floyd style or something.

Crowd seemed really into the 2.0 set. Crowed also looked old like me. Comments on youtube seem mostly positive.

I'm pumped for Doggerel. I like what I'm hearing so far.

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2022 :  05:36:36  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Love your optimism. And I'm quite excited too.
Not sure if it's going to be better than BTE.
We will see

After listening to the four new ones quite a bit (thanks to Rockpalast) I'm thinking that a slow, pretty Pixies record can be quite good.

It's all about managing expectations. Their goal is to make a record with an universal sound.

FBF to NME:
“We’re getting better at what we do,” says Francis of the record’s sound. “Gradually over the years we’ve been building up different kinds of muscles and we have a cosmopolitan sophistication that we’re able to tap into on this record more than we’ve been able to before. We’re able to get a little more cinematic.”

We were putting simplicity on a pedestal for this album. As the Japanese would say, why would you want to take this perfectly good piece of fish and ruin it by cooking? We were attracted to minimalism.”

Also very interesting is Paz to Festicket:
So it wasn't really until a month before we scheduled to start recording that Charles [Frank Black/Black Francis] started writing songs and then put about 40 demos together. Then our producer Tom [Dalgety], whose third record it is working with Pixies, and mine - listened to them and helped choose the fourteen that'd make the album. It was a very different approach, as we usually have some demos to kickstart the recording sessions and write in the studio together. It'd be way more loose.

For Doggerel it was definitely more tailored. Tom chose his 'batch of cookies', some of which I wouldn't have chosen, but quickly we all saw what he envisaged for the record which helped us guide us through the process. At this point, Tom has an incredibly good idea of what we're like as musicians. He knows how to communicate with us individually based on our abilities, and pulls the best out of us. That approach was perfect for this record, but it's taken time to get to this level together.

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2022 :  09:19:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That quote makes me want to order some sashimi for dinner.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2022 :  09:33:06  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That quote makes me want them to never be produced by Dalgety again. All he wants to do is make consistent, pleasing, predictable albums. You absolutely know he rejected some great songs because they weren't radio friendly enough.

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 07/31/2022 09:33:20
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2022 :  09:55:35  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lord Has Come Back Today...

It's nice. It still sticks out like crazy in a Pixies show. Out of all the new songs we've heard, this is one of the only ones I'm not immediately disappointed in. But it's still that same 1, 2, 3, 4...a very very unambitious melody, chords, where is that Pixies/Frank unpredictability? Catholics had conventional moments but it still had that Frank Black weirdness on tons of songs. It's like his whole songwriting style totally changed, or Dalgety flattened it down or something.

(wow this song just sorta ends? The audience was confused. Hmm.)
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2022 :  11:05:51  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

That quote makes me want them to never be produced by Dalgety again. All he wants to do is make consistent, pleasing, predictable albums. You absolutely know he rejected some great songs because they weren't radio friendly enough.

But I guess someone in the Pixies camp wants that too

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000