Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2022 :  15:08:35  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
COR is at the bottom FBF for me
Sorry no

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
817 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2022 :  15:56:39  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Woh, I didn't know that was possible. Love that album so much.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2022 :  21:25:49  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Something has to be at the bottom

Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2022 :  22:51:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

Why do they even let Tom pick the songs?? Why HIM? What makes him so special? Why can't the band do that, or even just Charles? I'm convinced Tom has no idea what makes the Pixies interesting. Honestly, after that last podcast episode I'm firmly in the anti-Tom camp. He's made himself the 5th Pixie, or worse, the leader of the band, and he has very mediocre musical tastes, and leans incredibly formulaic in every decision. Get him away from Pixies albums!

I know that may sound alarmist. But it's really strange to me how much control he has over the band. I would never let anybody else pick my tracklist on my album. That stuff is sacred to me. A hugely important part of my creative outlet. Not saying I wouldn't ask for advice or opinions from others, but at the end of the day it's my decision when my name is on my album.

It seems to me Tom wants to make VERY accessible, very straight and cohesive albums from the songs he gets.

Pixies are not cohesive! The wildness of their albums is part of the fun! You need weird shit that maybe should be b-sides, you need experiments, you need the album to veer off a cliff or zig and zag sharply. BTE, these are good songs, but as a record it's just like everything is exactly what and where you would expect.

This is EXACTLY my thoughts. Knowing (to a certain degree) some of the songs he has "rejected," in favor of some of the thuddingly conventional songs he has selected...and according to this latest podcast ep some of the decisions he's made within songs (looking at you spooky organ) ... I am really just dying to hear a new Pixies record from basically any other producer
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
244 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2022 :  11:36:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has this been posted already? The official set of lyrics to 'Doggerel': https://www.herfitzpr.net/pixies-doggerel-lyrics
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2022 :  12:36:13  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jake3

Has this been posted already? The official set of lyrics to 'Doggerel': https://www.herfitzpr.net/pixies-doggerel-lyrics

Great find
Some big words and some smaller ones

Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2022 :  03:39:00  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheScooper

quote:

Why do they even let Tom pick the songs?? Why HIM? What makes him so special? Why can't the band do that, or even just Charles? I'm convinced Tom has no idea what makes the Pixies interesting. Honestly, after that last podcast episode I'm firmly in the anti-Tom camp. He's made himself the 5th Pixie, or worse, the leader of the band, and he has very mediocre musical tastes, and leans incredibly formulaic in every decision. Get him away from Pixies albums!

I know that may sound alarmist. But it's really strange to me how much control he has over the band. I would never let anybody else pick my tracklist on my album. That stuff is sacred to me. A hugely important part of my creative outlet. Not saying I wouldn't ask for advice or opinions from others, but at the end of the day it's my decision when my name is on my album.

It seems to me Tom wants to make VERY accessible, very straight and cohesive albums from the songs he gets.

Pixies are not cohesive! The wildness of their albums is part of the fun! You need weird shit that maybe should be b-sides, you need experiments, you need the album to veer off a cliff or zig and zag sharply. BTE, these are good songs, but as a record it's just like everything is exactly what and where you would expect.

This is EXACTLY my thoughts. Knowing (to a certain degree) some of the songs he has "rejected," in favor of some of the thuddingly conventional songs he has selected...and according to this latest podcast ep some of the decisions he's made within songs (looking at you spooky organ) ... I am really just dying to hear a new Pixies record from basically any other producer

You know that old Albini quote... "Their willingness to be 'guided' by their manager, their record company and their producers is unparalleled. Never have I seen four cows more anxious to be led around by their nose rings."

Denis
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2022 :  03:57:23  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
FBF just doesn't care too much
He has a better career than Albini (I guess)

Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
817 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2022 :  06:34:25  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

You know that old Albini quote... "Their willingness to be 'guided' by their manager, their record company and their producers is unparalleled. Never have I seen four cows more anxious to be led around by their nose rings."

I actually have thought of this after that last podcast, and even did some searching for more quotes from Albini.

I think that's very forgivable for such a young band. They were probably overwhelmed by the idea of making their first album. I made my first album a few years ago and I was intimidated and kind of afraid to say no to the producer at times.

But after Frank's solo career, his independence, the Catholics where he did whatever the fuck he wanted, and then his incredibly creative and rocking Black Francis period...?? I just don't get it.
Go to Top of Page

rivum
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2022 :  07:05:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

good find indeed.
Interesting that all songs are credited to Francis except for Dregs Of The Wine, which is Santiago/Francis.
Does that imply that Santiago contributed lyrics??

Edited by - rivum on 07/21/2022 07:05:49
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2022 :  07:36:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rivum

quote:

good find indeed.
Interesting that all songs are credited to Francis except for Dregs Of The Wine, which is Santiago/Francis.
Does that imply that Santiago contributed lyrics??

I believe Joey said that he co-wrote his first Pixies song somewhere on the podcast, but I could be mistaken
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2022 :  07:53:47  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He wrote the chords of one (Dregs of the wine) and I believe some words on the other

Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2022 :  12:44:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

He wrote the chords of one (Dregs of the wine) and I believe some words on the other

Joey wrote the lyrics to'Pagan Man'
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2022 :  13:35:12  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Snippet of The Lord: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1112525925483327/permalink/5325771440825400/

Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2022 :  04:00:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^ Sounds a lot more promising. Expectations of the album were very low with TAMO.

Someone on the Facebook group posted The Everybody album. Actually completely forgot about its existenceuntil now but I remember playing the album a lot on its release. Some very nice tracks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4BNa3zdvcw&ab_channel=CrapahuteurMusical

Edited by - The Maharal on 07/22/2022 04:08:33
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2022 :  04:37:02  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We got more Pixies for our Buck in them days - can't remember what songs I liked on that album I'll have to listen to it again

Mind they also recorded a sort of Xmas song with Joey's young daughters at the time singing - Snow In LA is was called? I liked that

Edited by - pot on 07/22/2022 05:15:45
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2022 :  07:03:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

Snippet of The Lord: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1112525925483327/permalink/5325771440825400/

Facebook still exists?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2022 :  07:37:46  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It does and I reckon that this board would have been better without it

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2022 :  09:50:20  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I reckon the whole world would be better off without facebook - and twitter
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2022 :  11:20:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I joined the facebook group but muted it pretty quickly. I know there is a Tim Heidecker connection to FB fandom, so I'll mention that I'm a member of the "On Cinema at the Cinema on Facebook" group, which is mostly a parody of middle-aged Facebook groups - unfortunately the FB and Pixies Facebook group is essentially an unironic version of it...
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2022 :  21:56:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The facebook group does have big Please Show Jim Ha Ha energy - but everyone's good natured and friendly, and sometimes someone digs up something cool (or in this case records a bit of the new song)

Edited by - TheScooper on 07/22/2022 21:57:07
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2022 :  02:00:32  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Who's Jim?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2022 :  07:18:36  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't get the reference

Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2022 :  10:51:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are being ironic, well played.

If not, Google is your friend: https://thetab.com/uk/2020/06/24/boomers-on-social-media-162732

I don't think I'm going to listen to the clip of the new song, but for those who have - any impressions?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2022 :  10:56:20  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh right that Jim. Karen's old man, right?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2022 :  14:03:08  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks, never heard of it!

Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
817 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2022 :  14:10:44  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to say I also did not get the reference. I'm pretty well versed in online culture stuff...
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2022 :  15:34:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Zurich show looks like a nice tidy 31 tunes, mainly classics with a few 2.0s sprinkled in.
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2022 :  19:56:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]

I don't think I'm going to listen to the clip of the new song, but for those who have - any impressions?

Based on the 50 seconds in the video it was sounding extremely Catholics-y to my ears, with a little sprinkle of Plaster of Paris. We'll see how the recording sounds!
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2022 :  22:42:30  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Zurich show looks like a nice tidy 31 tunes, mainly classics with a few 2.0s sprinkled in.

I guess that setlist is incomplete

Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2022 :  12:43:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just wanted to say I also did not get the reference. I'm pretty well versed in online culture stuff...

To be clear, I also didn't get the reference but found it after searching online (to my amusement). I didn't mean to suggest that I couldn't tell if they were being ironic because they didn't get what should have been an obvious reference, but rather because not getting online references seems to be a common refrain in the Jim posts. As such (a) either they were making a clever reference to these posts, or (b) just didn't get the reference. I posted the link in case of (b) but hedged the possibility of irony in case of (a).
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
183 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2022 :  12:49:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Red Hot Chili Peppers have announced a new album to release 2 weeks after Doggerel; a salve to heal whatever misery I worry this new record is likely to inflict. Other than Charles, I think Frusciante is the most prolific musician I follow -- he once released 6 LPs in one year (2004). And he's putting out 34 new songs in 2022 (via RHCP); Charles, not nearly so many. What's the difference? Motivation? Charles did say there's another record in the works, but will it be another 12 tracker? Why can't Pixies put out 17 tracks like RHCP do? Or the 15 tracks, which used to be Pixies standard? How much of the new music is creative ambition versus an excuse to go on tour (and pay bills/build a nest egg)? I'm fine with financial motivations, but I wish we knew, so I could calibrate my expectations accordingly.

Edit: 35 songs, maybe 36! I forgot about those Japanese bonus tracks.

Edited by - tamefan on 07/24/2022 12:56:42
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2022 :  13:22:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't been a RCHP fan since my teen years so I can't speak for them, but, re: Pixies: I imagine it has something to do with Charles' using painting as a creative outlet + the new economic reality where tours rather than records are what make money. He often says that he writes in a workmanlike fashion when songs need to be written for records, but it seems their manager would prefer only one new record ever 2-3 years.

Edited by - Brank_Flack on 07/24/2022 13:22:43
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2022 :  22:19:19  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

I haven't been a RCHP fan since my teen years so I can't speak for them, but, re: Pixies: I imagine it has something to do with Charles' using painting as a creative outlet + the new economic reality where tours rather than records are what make money. He often says that he writes in a workmanlike fashion when songs need to be written for records, but it seems their manager would prefer only one new record ever 2-3 years.

Excellent. FBF is just waiting for a sign.

He's no longer like Robert Pollard who still says "I like to write songs"
Two or three records a year! And he also works on his collages

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2022 :  01:49:59  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tamefan

Red Hot Chili Peppers have announced a new album to release 2 weeks after Doggerel; a salve to heal whatever misery I worry this new record is likely to inflict.

You mean thee RHCP who haven't released anything worth listening to since about 1991?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000