Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

ricj
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2020 :  09:55:00  Show Profile  Visit ricj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Surely Snake Oil has to go next?!?
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2020 :  18:10:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Edited by - coastline on 12/17/2020 04:54:54
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2020 :  18:13:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snake Oil.

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.
Go to Top of Page

ricj
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2020 :  01:16:40  Show Profile  Visit ricj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been trying to post the artwork for SSMVGD by the way but because this forum is so vintage, I cant work out how to do it...
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2020 :  05:03:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need to upload the cover to a photo-hosting site, like Imgur, and then copy the Imgur link and place it between img tags. Like this:

quote:
Originally posted by ricj

I've been trying to post the artwork for SSMVGD by the way but because this forum is so vintage, I cant work out how to do it...

Edited by - coastline on 12/17/2020 05:05:29
Go to Top of Page

ricj
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2020 :  07:57:00  Show Profile  Visit ricj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

ricj
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2020 :  07:57:46  Show Profile  Visit ricj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It only exists in super lo-res but should be fine when shrunken to thumbnail size like all the rest...

Edited by - ricj on 12/18/2020 08:53:16
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2020 :  11:25:20  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, if Brank Flack can put aside his Pistolero quest, I can put aside my quest for less font-driven covers and also go Paley-Francis. To be, well, generous, it is somewhat prescient of a socially distanced COVID-friendly band cover. But, literally two photos side by side with text on top does seem like it could go.

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Jamie
- FB Fan -

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2020 :  17:03:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't that SSMVGD cover fan-made though?

Also you guys are crazy, Paley & Francis is one of the better covers in the catalog. Maybe not top 5, but probably top 10.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2020 :  17:13:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're crazy, Jamie! Bottom 5!

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie

Also you guys are crazy, Paley & Francis is one of the better covers in the catalog. Maybe not top 5, but probably top 10.

Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2020 :  17:15:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When this is all over, we should have a contest to make better designs of some of these ones we're voting off early.

Go to Top of Page

ricj
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2020 :  02:05:53  Show Profile  Visit ricj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Isn't that SSMVGD cover fan-made though?

Yes it was fan made, possibly by the people who received the couple of tapes handed out by the man himself. But it's the only cover that exists. It possibly shouldn't be included in the list though as it's not strictly an official release.

And I don't know if I agree that agree Paley and Francis is one of the better covers but it's CERTAINLY better than Snake Oil!!!

Edited by - ricj on 12/18/2020 02:06:21
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2020 :  07:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Round 7 seems to have a light voter turnout from what I can decipher. Results are:

Paley Francis - 3
Snake Oil - 2

Would I be guilty of fascism if I just got rid of both of them this round? I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I don't think Snake Oil will survive much longer anyway. Okay, it's done.

Round 8, typically an unpredictable round, starts now and ends in about 48 hours. Choose wisely.

Gone:

Frank Black and the Catholics
Cult of Ray
Indie Cindy
Petit Fours
Let The People Speak
One More Road for the Hit
Honeycomb
Paley & Francis
Snake Oil

Still surviving:

Come on Pilgrim
Surfer Rosa
Doolittle
Bossanova
Trompe Le Monde
B-Sides
Frank Black Self-Titled
TOTY
Oddballs
Pistolero
Dog in the Sand
Black Letter Days
Devil's Workshop
Show Me Your Tears
FMRM
Christmass
Bluefinger
SVN Fingers
Golem
NSE
Abbabubba
Head Carrier
Beneath the Eyrie
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
817 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2020 :  07:44:58  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Paley and Francis, just nothing artistic about it at all. Like even some of the bad covers feel...artistic to me. That's just two dudes standing around looking mildly bored.
Go to Top of Page

ricj
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2020 :  08:51:09  Show Profile  Visit ricj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Abbabubba for me. I can't stand the song and I think I've listened to the album about once which makes me dislike the cover even more...

No problem with Paley & Francis myself - just two lads looking good in their suits. Never felt like that album needed anything more complicated than that.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
817 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2020 :  09:58:31  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Abbabubba cover perfectly captures the nature of the album: here are some fun doodles I did to amuse myself.

I guess one could argue the Paley cover captures that album: hey I'm hanging out with my buddy Paley, just hanging out dude
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2020 :  10:12:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

Paley and Francis, just nothing artistic about it at all. Like even some of the bad covers feel...artistic to me. That's just two dudes standing around looking mildly bored.

We voted off Paley and Francis last round, so feel free to pick another album unless you really dislike this one that much.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2020 :  10:14:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Abbabubba for me. I can't stand the song and I think I've listened to the album about once which makes me dislike the cover even more...

No problem with Paley & Francis myself - just two lads looking good in their suits. Never felt like that album needed anything more complicated than that.

While I agree with you that the Abbabubba cover is not the best, how in the world you can say you've listened to this album just one time is beyond me. There are some great tunes and pure FB on this album. See everyone, playing survivor is how we get to know one another and yet still remain one big happy forum.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
817 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2020 :  10:17:33  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, Pistolero.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2020 :  16:47:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^ My man. Make that two Pistos.
Go to Top of Page

ricj
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2020 :  03:14:30  Show Profile  Visit ricj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

quote:

While I agree with you that the Abbabubba cover is not the best, how in the world you can say you've listened to this album just one time is beyond me. There are some great tunes and pure FB on this album. See everyone, playing survivor is how we get to know one another and yet still remain one big happy forum.

I don't know. Most of his albums strike a deep chord with me and I've listened to them (and will continue to listen to them) millions of times. For whatever reason, that one didn't. I don't think it's ALL bad, maybe I just don't see it as a 'proper' album as it's a strange mix of different versions of previously released stuff and remixes alongside a few new tracks. I just don't think it comes close to anything else in his vast catalogue which is why it's remained largely ignored. Maybe I'll give it another chance!
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2020 :  05:14:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Devil's Workshop

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2020 :  11:35:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Round 8 will be ending tomorrow morning. I'm voting Abbabubba. Did Frank draw it?

Quick polling update:

Abbabubba - 2
Pistolero - 2
Devil's Workshop -1
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
817 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2020 :  14:46:10  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm almost positive Frank drew Abbabubba.

I want to emphasize again: a good album cover captures the material or the thematic (even unintentional) through-lines of the album. I think even if the cover is ugly or whatever you think, this should be a point in favor of an album cover. To put it simply: does it capture the contents within?

Abbabbubba does this as its a doodle and this is an album of side musical doodles he did that had no place on the finished painting of his final albums.

Go to Top of Page

Jamie
- FB Fan -

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2020 :  17:00:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a lot of hoops to jump through to excuse something that looks like it was slapped together on an iPad in about 5 minutes. Say what you want about the album, it certainly had more care and thought put into it than that. The songs might not be polished, finished products, but that makes them sketches, not doodles.

(If it's not clear, I vote for Abbabubba)

Edited by - Jamie on 12/19/2020 17:04:20
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2020 :  18:46:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm almost positive Frank drew Abbabubba.

I want to emphasize again: a good album cover captures the material or the thematic (even unintentional) through-lines of the album. I think even if the cover is ugly or whatever you think, this should be a point in favor of an album cover. To put it simply: does it capture the contents within?

Abbabbubba does this as its a doodle and this is an album of side musical doodles he did that had no place on the finished painting of his final albums.

Yeah, I don't disagree with a single word you wrote. I wonder if one could show this for all his albums. And I for one really like the album but don't think much of the cover (you should have seen the cover they wanted, it wasn't a glove I assure you).

Update

Abbabubba - 3
Pistolero - 2
Devil's Workshop - 1
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2020 :  19:05:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
for all the wrong
I’ve reasoned away
Abbabubba
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2020 :  22:04:11  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pixies b sides for me

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
817 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2020 :  22:51:13  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's a lot of hoops to jump through to excuse something that looks like it was slapped together on an iPad in about 5 minutes. Say what you want about the album, it certainly had more care and thought put into it than that. The songs might not be polished, finished products, but that makes them sketches, not doodles.

That is really just semantic. I use the two terms interchangeably. If you want to reword my entire post with the word "sketch" instead of doodle, have at it.

In any case, I wasn't jumping through hoops strictly for that one album, I was trying to put forward a case that may affect future choices in the thread. Just something to keep in mind. I don't see anything wrong with taking a multifaceted approach to why an album cover is "bad" or "good."

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 12/19/2020 22:57:03
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2020 :  02:04:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, all the hubbub about Abbabubba has bubbled over, and bye bye baby. But round 9 looks like it will be a good one too.

Final tally:

Abbabubba: 4
Pistolero: 2
Devil's Workshop: 1
Pixies B-sides: 1

I want to thank Jamie again for putting the covers together, ricj for finding SSMVGD (which i think we can all live without), and coastline for adding the nice red "x"s to the ones that we have voted off.

Round 9 starts now and will end in about 48 hours. Let it rock.

Gone:

Frank Black and the Catholics
Cult of Ray
Indie Cindy
Petit Fours
Let The People Speak
One More Road for the Hit
Honeycomb
Paley & Francis
Snake Oil
Abbabubba

Still surviving:

Come on Pilgrim
Surfer Rosa
Doolittle
Bossanova
Trompe Le Monde
B-Sides
Frank Black Self-Titled
TOTY
Oddballs
Pistolero
Dog in the Sand
Black Letter Days
Devil's Workshop
Show Me Your Tears
FMRM
Christmass
Bluefinger
SVN Fingers
Golem
NSE
Head Carrier
Beneath the Eyrie
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2020 :  06:34:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2020 :  06:37:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This makes a good argument for the Oddballs cover being one of the best. I've never loved that cover, but it certainly captures the content.

Also, my vote this round is Devil's Workshop.

quote:

Edited by - coastline on 12/20/2020 06:37:41
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
817 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2020 :  09:28:43  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oddballs is a great cover, one of the best.

Pistolero is again my vote. It's really ugly and it doesn't capture the music to me.
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2020 :  13:39:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pixies B Sides is a good shout, a blot on their otherwise immaculate design.
Go to Top of Page

Jamie
- FB Fan -

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2020 :  14:30:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

That is really just semantic. I use the two terms interchangeably. If you want to reword my entire post with the word "sketch" instead of doodle, have at it.

Okay, but a sketch and a doodle are actually different things. A sketch is something that might be rough or unfinished, but it's done with thought. A doodle is thoughtless. I think that cover is more of a doodle.

quote:
In any case, I wasn't jumping through hoops strictly for that one album, I was trying to put forward a case that may affect future choices in the thread. Just something to keep in mind. I don't see anything wrong with taking a multifaceted approach to why an album cover is "bad" or "good."

Maybe it's because I'm a graphic designer, but I don't buy any logic that says to save a poorly designed cover over a better designed one.

My vote this round is Svn Fngrs. Pistolero is uglier and Snake Oil is more boring, but Svn Fngrs checks both boxes. The only thing that gives me pause is that I like the hand, but nothing is really done with it. It's just small and stuck in the center. The rest is just basic Halloween colors and boring type.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000