Page: of 12

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  07:29:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage
It’s a good question, and I wondered the same thing. Dave is obviously a pro and of course is capable of nailing a tight drum part, but that particular drum track is so metronomic and even, I wonder if there isn’t some kind of correction going on. Like an auto tune for tempo / bpm. I don’t even know if such a thing exists.

It could be a drum machine, at least on the bass drum. Who knows though. I do know that every time I’ve heard a live version the whole thing sounds very shaky. It’s good, but it sounds like they struggle to maintain that robotic, perfectly in the pocket gallop that they have on the record.

Just last night they posted a performance from the BBC on their Facebook page, and you can here the tempos of the players straining and flexing, as it typically sounds live. It’s really a bear to maintain that kind of robotic precision.

Check out the look on Dave’s face right as the song wraps up. I can’t tell if it’s just relief that they got through it, relief that it’s over, exasperation because he wasn’t happy with the take, or what. It definitely doesn’t appear that he enjoyed playing it! Maybe it was nothing, just a random look. What the hell do I know?

I think he just played from a click track in the studio and also at the bbc show
Kick drums were obviously doubled post-prod for the studio version
You can hear him drumming to the song in podcast ep 2 or 3. It sounds like the album but kick drum isn’t doubled..

And I think the look on his face at the end of the BBC version is because he screwed a bit near the end (he plays the snare a bit too early)

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 09/16/2019 07:32:44
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  09:03:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave plays to a click-track in the studio on all songs. He seems to prefer a simple digital cowbell sample as his metronome, as opposed to some sort of digital or electric drum kit track in his headphones, and I don't blame him.

The drum track on Mrs. Mark of Cain has been "tightened up" using studio technology, but the two-beat kick drum pattern was clearly always the plan, because Dave plays it that way every show when he is on a full kit (as opposed to his stripped-down in-store appearance / radio session setup of snare, tambourine and splash cymbal.

It is a VERY hard drum part to nail for that long of a song, and I am perplexed as to why he / they chose it, because it almost dares him to slow down or have to drop a beat here or there at some point.

He's just not THAT sort of a drummer, who can play precision, tricky kick drum patterns like a metronome for four or five minutes straight.

However, it's clearly what he / they wanted.

picpic is correct about Dave being pissed about screwing up one small snare drum lick about 15 seconds before the end of the live BBC take.

The look on his face screams, "Motherfucker! I huffed and puffed all the way through this goddamn kick drum part and then I blow it at the very end on the snare? With a CAMERA in my face? Sheeyit."

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  09:04:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was gonna say Ready for Love is like the song that doesn’t fit, like HCYM, but RFL rocks, fits good
Go to Top of Page

moro
- FB Fan -

Italy
192 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  09:05:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzy

quote:
Originally posted by moro

quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

I went to Fnac on friday but didn't pay much attention to the vinyl. It was either clear or white. Yeah sorry that was useless :)
They had 2 different CD versions though, standard and "deluxe" (no extra tracks)

Denis

Hello, do you know if the standard cd version has a booklet with lyrics inside?
Thanks

The standard cd version only has the cd. No booklet.

thanks, I'll go with the deluxe cd then
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  09:12:31  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The deluxe LP set just showed up at my doorstep - the package is beautiful. Very nicely done. Really cool artwork and an almost rubbery finish, not sure how to describe it but I’m very pleased. So much so that I’ll probably rip the demo LP, put it on the shelf, and go buy the single LP black vinyl so I have one I can spin without wearing this thing out.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  09:41:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter radiator

Dave plays to a click-track in the studio on all songs. He seems to prefer a simple digital cowbell sample as his metronome, as opposed to some sort of digital or electric drum kit track in his headphones, and I don't blame him.

The drum track on Mrs. Mark of Cain has been "tightened up" using studio technology, but the two-beat kick drum pattern was clearly always the plan, because Dave plays it that way every show when he is on a full kit (as opposed to his stripped-down in-store appearance / radio session setup of snare, tambourine and splash

Oh ok. I wasn’t hearing the double kick in live shows.
Its in the podcast however. I thought it wasnt there.

Ep2 6:00 the drums sound perfect and it is supposed to be a « live » take (is it ?)
Ep3 32:30 Charles is singing to the same drum track

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
182 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  11:27:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any chance a little monkey will descend from heaven with the demos? I would be so grateful
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  11:28:40  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just got through a first pass of the demo disc. It's extremely cool and radically different than the album. I can see why these tracks didn't make the cut in that they really don't fit the vibe the final album wound up with, but they're a real treat and a lot of fun. If you think BTE sounds like a solo Frank album, just wait til you hear this.

It sounds like a slightly Catholicized followup to Svn Fngrs. I really dig it, but folks who are already inclined to rip the new album for sounding too much like a FB solo album would have had even more ammo if this stuff were on there. It's basically a complete, different, bonus album.

Addition: as I'm thinking about it - I wonder if this was just Charles' sly way of getting a solo album out there without it detracting from the Pixies spotlight too much. It's just so crazy different than BTE and really doesn't sound at all like they were trying to make "Pixies Music," however you want to define that.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 09/16/2019 11:33:32
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  11:31:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK I've ripped them. Anybody with some advices on how to post them? Am happy to email them a couple at a time to somebody who knows what to do with them. All 9 MP3s comes to 32MBytes.
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
182 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  11:45:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

OK I've ripped them. Anybody with some advices on how to post them? Am happy to email them a couple at a time to somebody who knows what to do with them. All 9 MP3s comes to 32MBytes.

OMG you're amazing! Thank you!!

I'm happy to help upload/share your rip. Just one thing: the file size is unusually small. My .alac file for Long Rider by itself is 30.5MB, for comparisons sake. Are the MP3s 320 kbps?
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  11:49:23  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tamefan

quote:

I'm happy to help upload/share your rip. Just one thing: the file size is unusually small. My .alac file for Long Rider by itself is 30.5MB, for comparisons sake. Are the MP3s 320 kbps?

Hmmmm... yeah those files should be much larger than that.

Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  12:00:41  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marcusb

Is it just me, or do tracks like Catfish Kate and This Is My Fate sound like lost Catholics songs?

I think most of this album sounds like Catholics songs.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  12:14:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by tamefan

quote:

Hmmmm... yeah those files should be much larger than that.

They are between 180kbps and 185kbps. I just used the default setting in Audacity. Some of the songs are very short e.g. Chapel Hill is 1:19, Cyrus 2.07.

I can export them as something else as your prefer WAV, FLAC but not before tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  12:19:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just got through a first pass of the demo disc. It's extremely cool and radically different than the album. I can see why these tracks didn't make the cut in that they really don't fit the vibe the final album wound up with, but they're a real treat and a lot of fun. If you think BTE sounds like a solo Frank album, just wait til you hear this.

It sounds like a slightly Catholicized followup to Svn Fngrs. I really dig it, but folks who are already inclined to rip the new album for sounding too much like a FB solo album would have had even more ammo if this stuff were on there. It's basically a complete, different, bonus album.

Addition: as I'm thinking about it - I wonder if this was just Charles' sly way of getting a solo album out there without it detracting from the Pixies spotlight too much. It's just so crazy different than BTE and really doesn't sound at all like they were trying to make "Pixies Music," however you want to define that.

Only listened to Chapel Hill and Hey Debussy so far but getting a Sonic Youth vibe off the latter.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  12:22:03  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Only listened to Chapel Hill and Hey Debussy so far but getting a Sonic Youth vibe off the latter.

Yep I definitely got a touch of Sonic Youth from some of these as well. That one in particular. Less so for the others. Good call.

Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
182 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  12:35:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
They are between 180kbps and 185kbps. I just used the default setting in Audacity. Some of the songs are very short e.g. Chapel Hill is 1:19, Cyrus 2.07.

I can export them as something else as your prefer WAV, FLAC but not before tomorrow.

.flac would be fantastic. At your convenience. An easy upload site is https://www.mediafire.com. Thank you, again.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  12:41:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard some Sonic Youth and Dinosaur Jr influences on those demos from the podcast
Glad to hear that confirmed here

Also "Cyrus" is misspelled Cyprus on my LP :)

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  12:48:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sonic Youth's Chapel Hill:
https://youtu.be/PFmd-8Z-UJk

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"
Go to Top of Page

SmurfyX
- FB Fan -

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  12:54:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh god just tell me how I can help. Put them in a dropbox to share or go straight to mediafire-- anything. I'm fucking frothing at the mouth to hear them. I've been hoping to find them tonight all day at work.
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunnyToo
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  13:04:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooh, yes, please please FLAC them if possible! Sounds like Audacity probably defaults to something more suited to podcasts and the like.

--
James/DruggedBunny[Too]
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  13:20:58  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I might not get around to it until this weekend but I can do a flac rip (or whatever) with a Technics SL-1200 MK2 with an Ortofon Super OM40 > Marantz 2275 > firepod > Reaper. You can message me or something and we can do google drive if you have that.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 09/16/2019 13:23:44
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
182 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  13:43:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  13:55:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Extremely excited to hear these after this!
Go to Top of Page

SmurfyX
- FB Fan -

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  13:59:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

quote:

Extremely excited to hear these after this!

Gah yeah I'm just f5ing this constantly hoping for an upload lol.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  14:01:34  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Okay, what an embarrassment of riches this time around. I don’t think it’s hyperbole to say with this release we got both the best Pixies album since Trompe and the best FBF solo album (basically) since Bluefinger.

Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
182 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  14:34:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
It's basically a complete, different, bonus album.

https://images.gr-assets.com/hostedimages/1380222758ra/341159.gif
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  17:29:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If anyone could slide those demos my way I’d be very grateful.

By the way, at the beginning of Silver Bullet (after the guitar melody starts but before the main vocals come in), you can hear Frank (I think that’s him?) talking very quietly. Does anybody know what he is saying? Perhaps he’s alerting his bandmates that if they touch his stuff, they’ll FUCKING DIE!

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.
Go to Top of Page

cptnpasty
- FB Fan -

Spain
151 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  20:07:32  Show Profile  Visit cptnpasty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
any sign of anyone posting those demos yet?

www.guillermostitch.com
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  20:57:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try this. It's just the MP3s. I have to head to work now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/18c2yjs61q7c54a/BTE_demos.zip?dl=0

OK I see that these have got posted via reddit so I am disabling the dropbox link (particularly as it wasn't actually my dropbox)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/9ha49g563uu29hz/BonusTracks.zip/file

Edited by - Sprite on 09/17/2019 12:29:14
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  21:17:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sprite. You've made my day. Thank you :)
Go to Top of Page

cptnpasty
- FB Fan -

Spain
151 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  21:22:21  Show Profile  Visit cptnpasty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

boom. a million thanks!

www.guillermostitch.com
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  21:26:44  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, that is so kind of you. Thank you so much.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

moro
- FB Fan -

Italy
192 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  22:19:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks a lot for demos
Go to Top of Page

cptnpasty
- FB Fan -

Spain
151 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2019 :  00:02:38  Show Profile  Visit cptnpasty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cptnpasty

quote:

boom. a million thanks!

www.guillermostitch.com

lovely stuff. interesting to hear them sort of...jam. i get a similar vibe to the one i get listening to old velvets outtakes.

www.guillermostitch.com
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2019 :  00:57:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sprite, u rock

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic