Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
182 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  12:54:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Live debut of Daniel Boone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzQQY3Sdh7c

I wanna fly to Europe just to catch this song live :-)

Their last two shows have been 34 songs each and they're both killer sets. Man alive! Also, the YouTube comments on the Pixies' official uploads for the songs are full of superlatives. It looks like everyone's loving this record <3

Edited by - tamefan on 09/13/2019 13:06:07
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  13:13:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two listens in and....

It's AMAZING, it's FRCKIN AMAZING.

Very first impressions:

The songs feel rich and with lots of nooks a crannies to explore.
I love all the whispers and willowy textures. The atmosphere feels dark and syrupy.
The sound is so much more expansive and dynamic than HC.
The twangy string instruments that pop in and out are just heaven.
The lyrics are such a step up than the last two (or five records). Off kilter but a relaxed and natural vibe, no stress.
At times I'm feeling a mind meld of Bullet, Navajo, Silver Snail, Llano del Rio & Roswell.
Album does not feel forced at all (which I do get a little bit on some IC & HC tracks)

Best FB set of tunes since Bluefinger, maybe DITS. They've smashed this one.

My box set is arriving tomorrow. I might have to wait a while before playing the demos, don't want to overdose.

Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  13:37:26  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I also was going to say this is the best thing since Bluefinger for me. Didn’t want to engage in hyperbole this early on, but I feel pretty confident in that assessment.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  14:30:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bought the record from my local shop today and *holy fuck* they really did it. The Pixies are back.

I listened to the podcast and was looking forward to the album, but I was blown away on first listen. Charles, the band and Tom all did a great job. The songwriting feels unforced (as written above), the band just clicks as a unit, and Tom did a great job of weaving interesting textures throughout the album (and he deserves full props for getting Charles to write that amazing bridge to Daniel Boone). I love the dark, mysterious mood of the album, the variety of styles and instrumentation that nonetheless all mesh together, and that the songs almost never outstay their welcome.

I was actually also thinking while listening that it may be his best since Bluefinger, then midway through since Dog in the Sand, and by the end *maybe* since TOTY. Only time will tell, but that's how impressed I was by it. Once again, this was just a first listen.

In response to some of the criticism of the sequencing, I would say that it makes sense on vinyl. Silver Bullet ending Side A and Lone Rider starting Side B works quite well.

Lone Rider may need to grow on me. While I like the music itself, I find the lyrics to the chorus distractedly clunky (especially 'She wiped out in the modern sense'). I didn't think I would like Ready for Love based on the podcast, but it was stronger than I thought it would be, in part thanks to the quirky arrangement/production. Time will tell with these two, but I don't necessarily dislike them.

Not enough has been said about how good Los Surfers Muertos is. Classic Joey guitar part, and Paz sounds great.

It's too bad the international posting cost prohibited me from the deluxe set, otherwise it would have been worth it for this album.

Anyways, I also don't want to engage in hyperbole, but I'm really excited by it.

Edited by - Brank_Flack on 09/13/2019 14:31:36
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  15:16:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Loving it so far. Based on the live videos, I didn't expect Cain to end up being one of my favorites, but it's so fucking good. As is Daniel Boone. Both songs sound and FEEL so Pixies, but also feel new. Like they are wholly themselves and moving into the future. Paz is great and feels like she's always been there.

Couple of nitpicks, production-wise, but so much better than HC in that regard. While I still hope they try someone else next time, there are a couple of songs that really benefit from the "Dalgety touch" (Cain and Daniel Boone).

My only other complaint is that I sort of wish they'd replaced Ready for Love with a couple of "meatballs" in the vein of Isla de Encanta/Allison/this record's own Saint Nazaire. On the other hand, I suspect Ready for Love will grow on me, as so many Frank songs do. In fact, I think it already is haha. Conversely, I think Silver Bullet will end up being one I tire of and start skipping down the line.

RECORD THE NEXT ONE ALREADY! (Now that they've done this sort of echo-y, lush one, I hope they work with an Albini-type and do a stripped down nasty record, like HC was supposed to be. And hopefully it'll have Super Lecker on it)
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  15:38:37  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tom Dalgety just liked one of my tweets. Yay this is the best Friday the 13th ever.

"And I floated toward the moon
And I noted from on high
That the Lord Howe reef
Looks like Daniel Boone
And he was showing me his smile"
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  20:10:51  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I suspect this is for 16/44.1khz flac, found this on stevehoffman.tv.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/new-pixies-record-for-2019.802471/page-7#post-22103631

“Protip: The download code in the deluxe set sends a link for the mp3's to your email. If you change "mp3" in the link to "flac" you can download the lossless version.

Saved me ripping the CD and might work for other vinyl versions.”
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  21:00:45  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I listened to it for the first time today. I wish I was as blown away as everyone else. I'm going to give it a few more listens tomorrow and then write some thoughts here. I hope it grows on me. To me it still seems a bit too poppy in the way Head Carrier was, without the weirdo unpredictable left-turn Pixies stuff I thought IC had.

First impressions though, track 01 sounds really cool, and I like Daniel Boone.

Also, going by how those demos sounded in the last podcast episode, I suspect I may like that batch of songs more than the album...

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 09/13/2019 21:08:15
Go to Top of Page

cptnpasty
- FB Fan -

Spain
151 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  22:43:13  Show Profile  Visit cptnpasty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

Bought the record from my local shop today and *holy fuck* they really did it. The Pixies are back.

I listened to the podcast and was looking forward to the album, but I was blown away on first listen. Charles, the band and Tom all did a great job. The songwriting feels unforced (as written above), the band just clicks as a unit, and Tom did a great job of weaving interesting textures throughout the album (and he deserves full props for getting Charles to write that amazing bridge to Daniel Boone). I love the dark, mysterious mood of the album, the variety of styles and instrumentation that nonetheless all mesh together, and that the songs almost never outstay their welcome.

I was actually also thinking while listening that it may be his best since Bluefinger, then midway through since Dog in the Sand, and by the end *maybe* since TOTY. Only time will tell, but that's how impressed I was by it. Once again, this was just a first listen.

In response to some of the criticism of the sequencing, I would say that it makes sense on vinyl. Silver Bullet ending Side A and Lone Rider starting Side B works quite well.

Lone Rider may need to grow on me. While I like the music itself, I find the lyrics to the chorus distractedly clunky (especially 'She wiped out in the modern sense'). I didn't think I would like Ready for Love based on the podcast, but it was stronger than I thought it would be, in part thanks to the quirky arrangement/production. Time will tell with these two, but I don't necessarily dislike them.

Not enough has been said about how good Los Surfers Muertos is. Classic Joey guitar part, and Paz sounds great.

It's too bad the international posting cost prohibited me from the deluxe set, otherwise it would have been worth it for this album.

Anyways, I also don't want to engage in hyperbole, but I'm really excited by it.

horses for courses: "she wiped out in the modern sense" is probably my favourite line on the album.

www.guillermostitch.com
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  01:09:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had it on repeat, instantly more satisfying than HC and it's a grower :)

So many little details to enjoy. No filler and my favourites keep changing - Daniel Boone and Long Rider are keepers.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  01:54:04  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cptnpasty

quote:

horses for courses: "she wiped out in the modern sense" is probably my favourite line on the album.

www.guillermostitch.com

That line also struck me when I heard it. Very cool line. I don't know what it means, but I like it.

Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  02:12:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had a few listens and agree it's really great, you can tell from 1st listen these songs have a lot of depth.

I'm enjoying it all but my faves so far are In the arms of Mrs Mark of Cain, This is my Fate and Bird of Prey.

The latter 2 have that menacing/gloomy vibe that reminds me a little of the Golem.

Long Rider, does Paz bass sound like the Breeders Cannonball at the beginning?

Daniel Boone gave me chills much like listening to I Will Run After You did back in the day, very cool song.

Even enjoy Ready for Love, that was probably my least anticipated song but it comes out great.

Any fears I had about Tom Dalgety's influence / interference are thoroughly gone, from hearing the album his ideas are all pretty much spot on.

Now if could only hear those demos! Any word on the Japanese bonus track?

Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
232 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  02:34:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Japanese bonus track seems to be Caught in a Dream (demo).

-oddball
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  03:15:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be great to hear the demos but I thought the price was a little steep, especially considering it's LP only!

I'd happily buy the album again to get them on CD/download format.

It's a shame 'Women of War' isn't on streaming services either. There are enough unreleased/rare 2.0 songs now to make a new B sides album!
Go to Top of Page

presley1
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  03:19:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to rip them from the vinyl this week.

Oh my golly!
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  03:21:10  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep, I’ll be ripping the demos from vinyl, as well as making a mix cassette and probably a reel to reel tape as well.

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  03:25:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

It would be great to hear the demos but I thought the price was a little steep, especially considering it's LP only!

I'd happily buy the album again to get them on CD/download format.

It's a shame 'Women of War' isn't on streaming services either. There are enough unreleased/rare 2.0 songs now to make a new B sides album!

Agree with all of this.
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  04:39:54  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I bought the 24/96 flac.
I’ll listen to them tonight.
There is information up to about 41khz.
The beginnings and ends of tracks seem to have less up there.
Three tracks, 3, 11 & 12, have more.

Here’s track 7

Edited by - hammerhands on 09/14/2019 04:46:48
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  04:51:38  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wonder how the new album would have faired up against all the rest of FB's catalogue on the Survivor thread?
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  06:24:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting question. Paging Bedbug?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  06:44:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Haha, here we go! Thanks to you and pot, the game is live again.

Check the survivor thread and vote away everybody!
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  07:32:15  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anybody watch Stranger Things? BTE is like the Upside Down version of Bossanova.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 09/14/2019 07:33:13
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  08:05:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

Anybody watch Stranger Things? BTE is like the Upside Down version of Bossanova.

Haha, I like this.

Daniel Boone, winner winner. That chorus is wonderful.
They did a helluva job with this album. Happy for them and us.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  08:15:46  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

Ha! Nice one!

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  11:00:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went to install my new turntable today to play the demo tracks and it doesn't work. Have to bring it back to the shop tomorrow and try and get it changed. Sigh...
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  11:01:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

quote:

Haha, here we go! Thanks to you and pot, the game is live again.

Check the survivor thread and vote away everybody!

Wow I was half joking. Oh well if you insist...
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  11:07:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was actually also thinking while listening that it may be his best since Bluefinger, then midway through since Dog in the Sand, and by the end *maybe* since TOTY. Only time will tell, but that's how impressed I was by it. Once again, this was just a first liste

I actually wrote TOTY in my post and then changed it to DITS in an attempt to limit the hyberbole. But I was so Blown Away on first listen.

Will see how I feel end of next week. But Day #2 of BTE was as good as Day #1.

Edited by - Sprite on 09/14/2019 11:28:17
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  11:23:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
May as well post this here too

One thing is for sure, after BTE the only people who could insist upon “No Deal No Pixies” is someone who is genetically predisposed to such irrational thinking.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  11:27:18  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

May as well post this here too

One thing is for sure, after BTE the only people who could insist upon “No Deal No Pixies” is someone who is genetically predisposed to such irrational thinking.

What about No Black No Pixies?

I'd say that's going to be hard to argue.

Paz has done a fine job on the new album though. I take your point. She must feel like she's just won the Indie Band lottery now, all the other potential Kim 2.0 candidates will be real jealous.

Edited by - pot on 09/14/2019 11:28:57
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  11:31:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every time I see the NoKimNoDeal thing I always think of the Japanese soldiers still fighting WW2 in 1948 or something.

Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  13:30:46  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Every time I see the NoKimNoDeal thing I always think of the Japanese soldiers still fighting WW2 in 1948 or something.

Yeah. Or Don Quixote tilting at windmills.

Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  14:00:10  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I gotta tell you, Silver Bullet is really really growing on me. For a 3.5 minute song, it really has an epic vibe and sweep. Like a dusty goth western. Very cinematic (as are many of these songs.)

Also, as I was enjoying this today, and appreciating the production, I couldn’t help but reflect yet again on what the mastering did to the last two albums. I think their compressed, sledgehammer, claustrophobic mastering may have really had a subconscious effect on folks that ended up not liking it. The SOUND of those old Pixies albums was a component. BTE still has a heavy handed mastering, but almost everything does today. But it’s much much better than the last two. Sparser arrangements help, but if IC and HC had been similarly mastered they may have come across differently, at least to a few folks. IC in particular.

Clearly someone somewhere made a conscious decision to lay off the knob turning down the homestretch this time around. And the album is allowed to breathe and shine for it. I really hope that whoever made this call might consider a remaster of IC and HC where they take a similarly light approach and let the tracks breathe a little. They’re so dense that a little headroom might be just what the doctor ordered to help people see them in a new light.

Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
182 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  14:35:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in Bird of Prey bliss and loving Frank's theatrical delivery. For example, his use of onomatopoeia in the first verse (“I'll set my broken bone / With a twist and a crack”). It's a fantastic little effect that shows off the band's confidence and attention to detail.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  16:52:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tamefan

I'm in Bird of Prey bliss and loving Frank's theatrical delivery. For example, his use of onomatopoeia in the first verse (“I'll set my broken bone / With a twist and a crack”). It's a fantastic little effect that shows off the band's confidence and attention to detail.

I’m with you, it’s my favorite vocal performance of his on the album in terms of the verses. Sounds just slightly unhinged. Still desire more of that but the wide range of deliveries on the album all work well considering. The man is just good at his job. My respect level for him continues to grow. My main nitpick would be simplistic lyrics and shorter verse sections with repetition but it’s alright when the songs are so catchy.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  17:28:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To my surprise I think Death Horizon might be my favourite song on the album right now. Great melody and arrangement, and the juxtaposition of coming to terms with the breakdown of a relationship with a serene meditation on the inevitable destruction of the world works wonderfully.

Other favourites: Mark of Cain, This is My Fate, Los Surfers Muertos, Bird of Prey, Daniel Boone, but now I've gone and listed half the album without even including Catfish Kate!

I listened to the final episode of the podcast this evening, and Joey talks about how he deliberately tried to add western flourishes to his guitar parts. The effort really paid off, both in terms of complimenting the songs and providing a musical thread that binds the album together.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000