Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2019 :  20:39:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW I just listened to the whole thing twice and I loved it!! I’m no apologist for some of the weaker recent Pixies stuff but this is great. Love the goth-country-surf thing, love the more delicate sound and cool arrangements. Lyrics are AMAZING and poetic but so bittersweet at times.

Does anyone have the vinyl bonus tracks and can tell me how they are? I am but a sad little college student with no record player so I can only imagine what they’re like.

Apparently there’s a cover of Mambo Sun. I have always believed that that is one of the sexiest songs ever written, mostly because of the guitar solo. I would die to hear Pixies play it... in case y’all couldn’t tell from my name on here I’m a pretty big T Rex fan.
-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.

Edited by - Jeepster on 09/12/2019 20:42:08
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  01:31:44  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/pixies-beneath-the-eyrie-review-moving-into-new-wild-ways-1.4012692?mode=amp A PAZtastic review.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  01:43:18  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/sep/13/pixies-beneath-the-eyrie-review

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  01:49:22  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://chochilino.com/radio/2019/09/13/album-reviews-pixies-beneath-the-eyrie-jenny-hval-the-practice-of-love-and-metronomy-forever-the-independent/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  01:55:51  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.vinylchapters.com/pixies-beneath-the-eyrie-review/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  02:10:22  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.expressandstar.com/entertainment/2019/09/13/pixies-beneath-the-eyrie-album-review/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  02:48:21  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mmm yes, I think it's not bad. I really like the opening track, it's quite different yet still retains that Pixies stamp. Not sure if it's my favourite track on the album yet though.

This reminds me of the day I moved into my new home 3 years ago, and had my first bath while listening to Head Carrier.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  04:12:20  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, today’s the day! I’ll refrain from going too deep before I’ve had some time for several listens and a few days to let it settle in. But my first impression/ hot take is that they hit it out of the park. It sounds great the first time through but also feels like there is a lot more to discover on repeated listens.

Oh, and since it’s always a popular topic around here: even though I’m streaming from Apple Music on my office stereo, the production sounds pretty much spot on to me. It doesn’t come across nearly as overbaked on the mastering front as the last couple. To my ears it’s about as good and most good contemporary releases typically sound. Nice and open. The snare is boomy, but I’m almost certain that it’s more attributable to the instrument rather than the mastering. Dave seems to go out most often for those huge, low, beefy snare tones.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 09/13/2019 04:13:36
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  04:38:28  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
24/96 flac at ProStudioMasters...let me see...Yes, I will get to hear today!

That’s not part of the download code we are getting, is it? Oh, I better hold off. ARGH!!!

https://www.prostudiomasters.com/album/page/42063
also HDTracks
https://www.hdtracks.com/catalog/product/view/id/865306/s/beneath-the-eyrie/
and Acoustic Sounds
https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/145462/The_Pixies-Beneath_the_Eyrie-FLAC_96kHz24bit_Download

Did anyone buy the 24/44.1 Head Carrier or Indie Cindy? Are they the same mixes?

Edited by - hammerhands on 09/13/2019 13:33:17
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  04:41:54  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

Well, today’s the day! I’ll refrain from going too deep before I’ve had some time for several listens and a few days to let it settle in. But my first impression/ hot take is that they hit it out of the park. It sounds great the first time through but also feels like there is a lot more to discover on repeated listens.

Oh, and since it’s always a popular topic around here: even though I’m streaming from Apple Music on my office stereo, the production sounds pretty much spot on to me. It doesn’t come across nearly as overbaked on the mastering front as the last couple. To my ears it’s about as good and most good contemporary releases typically sound. Nice and open. The snare is boomy, but I’m almost certain that it’s more attributable to the instrument rather than the mastering. Dave seems to go out most often for those huge, low, beefy snare tones.

Agree with all of this

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  05:44:43  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
***edit***The download is for MP3 or flac.***

I’m not sure what this means...

“The download would be for the tracks listed on the webiste, and would be in MP3 format only”

It doesn’t list the tracks on the website. Oh, maybe it does, it is just the two singles?

Edited by - hammerhands on 09/13/2019 20:08:12
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
232 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  06:12:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope we get some sort of download code for everything. My boxset isn't scheduled to arrive until Monday and I only have digital/download access for the two singles right now.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  06:16:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can listen the album on Spotify, it's free.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  06:25:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apple has most of it if you’re subscribed there
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  06:41:33  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You put your download code in here. Just the album tracks, maybe MP3 only.

***you can get flac, too***

https://pixies.tmstor.es/download/beneaththeeyrie

Edited by - hammerhands on 09/13/2019 20:09:08
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  06:49:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm enjoying the album a lot.

The Long Rider is great! I know some have compared it unfavourably to Another Toe or Tenement Song (both of which I quite enjoy), but it's one I keep going back to.

Daniel Boone is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  06:51:44  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oddball

My boxset isn't scheduled to arrive until Monday

Estimated Delivery:
Tuesday, September 17, 2019
By End of Day
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
182 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  07:00:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Long Rider's excellent! It's a boastful obituary about these fearless surfers. You can almost picture them on the crest of a wave, silhouetted by the setting sun, as they disappear over the horizon, never to be seen again. Joey's wailing guitar really pays tribute to these heroic figures and the chorus is a perfect slice of 90s alt rock.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  07:02:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark of Cain is fucking epic.

The first chorus followed by the unexpected bridge/2nd verse is incredible. Trompe seal of quality, fellows. I love the spaces they left for Joey (who doesnt do much, but does it very well like any good Joey Santiago does). Dave drumming is epic. Backing vocals are perfect (yes !). Even if the song kind of goes in a loop after the magnificent 1st half, it still sounds amazing. It's dark, it's menacing. I'm hearing parts of Bird Dream and Lovely Day in Joey riffs and the main melody is obviously Motorway's ending. Don't know if those are intentional or not. Best 2.0 song IMO.

Begging for other songs like this in the future.

And the live versions are sounding magnificent too. Even if Joey is struggling a bit with the main riff (but thats why we like him right ?)

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  07:08:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Mark of Cain is fucking epic.

The first chorus followed by the unexpected bridge/2nd verse is incredible. Trompe seal of quality, fellows. I love the spaces they left for Joey (who doesnt do much, but does it very well like any good Joey Santiago does). Dave drumming is epic. Backing vocals are perfect (yes !). Even if the song kind of goes in a loop after the magnificent 1st half, it still sounds amazing. It's dark, it's menacing. I'm hearing parts of Bird Dream and Lovely Day in Joey riffs and the main melody is obviously Motorway's ending. Don't know if those are intentional or not. Best 2.0 song IMO.

Begging for other songs like this in the future.

And the live versions are sounding magnificent too. Even if Joey is struggling a bit with the main riff (but thats why we like him right ?)

___
"Service Unavailable"

Yeah it's superb!
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  07:09:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

The Long Rider is great! I know some have compared it unfavourably to Another Toe or Tenement Song (both of which I quite enjoy), but it's one I keep going back to.

I think it was me who made the comparison. But I was comparing it VERY FAVOURABLY to Another Toe and Tenement Song. I like those songs a lot. Long Rider being the best of the batch. Loving the harmonies and the neat chord progression, I'm on repeat mode between Cain and Rider.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  08:16:14  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

I think it was me who made the comparison. But I was comparing it VERY FAVOURABLY to Another Toe and Tenement Song. I like those songs a lot. Long Rider being the best of the batch. Loving the harmonies and the neat chord progression, I'm on repeat mode between Cain and Rider.

___
"Service Unavailable"

I agree. And if I kind of think of these songs sharing an evolving DNA, it’s a similar thing that evolved and got clearer and better successively. I can kind of make the same comparison for each of the 3 2.0 albums.

Caveat is that the new one just came out today, but so far it sounds like a further improvement and refinement. Like they’re REALLY comfortable now with their direction.

If the Pixies 2.0 were on a glass microscope slide, IC was like looking at it with the naked eye, HC was the first level of magnification, and now we’re another level in. If that makes sense...

Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  09:03:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few weeks on and it's This Is My Fate I've been listening to the most. It's like a FMRM track sped up with an injection of early Nick Cave. Lovely stuff.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  09:25:06  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This record is one of Frank's best
Plain and simple

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  09:33:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

A few weeks on and it's This Is My Fate I've been listening to the most. It's like a FMRM track sped up with an injection of early Nick Cave. Lovely stuff.

With a zest of Pink Floyd's Money

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  09:44:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Listened to it a few times today in the car and a few more on the headphones.

It's absolutely great. So great.

Thanks Frank and team. Really, really enjoying Beneath The Eyrie.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  09:45:52  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/pixies-embrace-the-darkness-on-beneath-the-eyrie-883550/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  09:56:06  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.xsnoize.com/album-review-pixies-beneath-the-eyrie/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  10:01:29  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Guys I’m 3 times through this now, and I gotta say, this is it folks. If someone has a problem with IC and HC, I would think this one hit the spot they were looking for. If not, well, I don’t know what more they could possibly ask for. What a great album. It absolutely strikes the perfect balance between new and fresh yet hands down, unmistakably Pixies. I’m really looking forward to the deluxe LP showing up on my doorstep on Monday.

Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  10:15:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Listened to it a few times today in the car and a few more on the headphones.

It's absolutely great. So great.

Thanks Frank and team. Really, really enjoying Beneath The Eyrie.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  11:40:47  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mrs Mark of Cain
Danielle Boom
Then Ultimately Death

The beginning and the end.

It's got a bit of Frank Black solo in there, and a bit of Pixies 1.0. It's fairly gender neutral as well, so it should appeal to the younger generations.

Paz's vocals are spot on too, they really nailed Kim Deal 2.0 there. Can't say I was much of a fan of Kim Deal 1.7.

It's got a bit of an everything feel to it, overall. I hope I don't get bored with it after 7 listens so far today.
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  11:49:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot
It's fairly gender neutral as well, so it should appeal to the younger generations.

I’m pretty curious what you mean by this (and I say this as one of the ‘younger generation’ types). Don’t mean that in a negative way, just curious!

-----------------------
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  12:29:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You sound skeptical Pot

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  12:32:07  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeepster

quote:
Originally posted by pot
It's fairly gender neutral as well, so it should appeal to the younger generations.

I’m pretty curious what you mean by this (and I say this as one of the ‘younger generation’ types). Don’t mean that in a negative way, just curious!

-----------------------

It's just a poke at the whole lgbt thing that's all the rage these days. Also maybe something deeper, I don't know?

Mrs Mark of Cain? What's that all about.

Daniel Boone is apparetly one America's first folk heroes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Boone

Hermaphraditos is my name
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  12:34:27  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

You sound skeptical Pot

___
"Service Unavailable"

I'm skeptical of everything. Overall I'm positive about the new album though.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000