Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  17:23:30  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

One thing that strikes me about this album, specifically related to Bluefinger, is that it has that natural, off the cuff, inspired, easy feel to it that Bluefinger had, and that most of his best stuff has. That feeling is probably highly calculated and requires more than I'll ever understand to get there. But this feeling has been MIA since Svn Fingers. It's back on this one.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here.

Thanks, I think it's a big part of why this one is resonating. That said, I wanted to amend my statement as I forgot about Golem - at it's best, on the rock edit, it has the vibe I'm clumsily attempting to describe. But that would be the exception for me between the fingers duo and BTE.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  01:27:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you guys are ranking BTE are you including the demos as part of BTE or are you gonna rank that collection separately / not at all?
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  02:36:48  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did my rank before I got the demos. Personally I’m not sure if it makes sense to include them in the ranking though. They really are like a separate item and their exclusivity kind of rules them out as a proper release to be ranked. I mean there’s only a few thousand copies (I assume, I don’t know how many they pressed), and only on vinyl, so anyone ranking them that don’t own the vinyl are basically ranking a bootleg. That said, I’m sure the band figured these would be ripped and shared... That’s just my two cents though.

I guess if we include the demos we’d have to go back and include The Purple Tape...

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  05:46:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what people are saying about the demos, if you counted BTE and BTE demos as one FBF release, it would probably rank in the top...
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  12:36:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only got a chance to listen to demos in full this evening. Man they are great, it's just like a *completely* new album. I vote to include it as a separate entry.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  11:22:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just like it was yesterday, I can remember the evening I heard Surfer Rosa for the first time in the Spring of 1990. It was kind of a life changing moment, you know? Before and after kind of thing.

Can't believe I'm doing this:

Paley and Francis
Let the People Speak
Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day
Snake Oil
Petit Fours
One More Road for the Hit
Abbabubba
Oddballs
NSE
Indie Cindy
Honeycomb
Christmass
Cult of Ray
B-Sides
Head Carrier
FMRM
Pistolero*
SVN Fingers*
Devil's Workshop
Golem
Frank Black and the Catholics Self Titled*
Black Letter Days*
Show Me Your Tears
Dog in the Sand*
Bluefinger*
Frank Black Self-Titled
Come on Pilgrim
Surfer Rosa
<<Beneath the Eyrie>>
TOTY
Doolittle
Bossanova*
Trompe Le Monde*
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  11:59:48  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can't vote a new album in as "better than Come On Pilgrim" which HAS stood the test of time. How do we know we wont hate BTE next week? Maybe it will suddenly grow tiresome. Or maybe it wont and demoes rocks. Pixies 2.0 rulez woohoo!
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  12:08:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Acknowledged. Things could change.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  12:10:58  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm going start putting 1p per day in a piggy bank to save up for the 20 year anniversary small venues demoes tour.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  20:31:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree BTE and BTE Demos (what a sad name, we should open a thread to find a proper one, like Teenage Sirens or Grizzly Bear...) are two separate entities, stylistically , chronologically and physically

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"
Go to Top of Page

rivum
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2019 :  04:03:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow bedbug, BTE as higher rated than either come on pilgrim or surfer? that is a BOLD statement
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2019 :  00:11:31  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ooh somebody do a BTE/BTE2 track survivor now!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000