395 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  05:36:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not following that, to be honest...?
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  05:57:31  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well, I have a couple of humble questions to ask Frank. In a lame attempt to make them stand out I'm going to douse this post with pretty colours.

1) Are there any plans to come to AUSTRALIA any time soon? Either with the Pixies (they never toured here ) or The Catholics? Last time you were here was 1994, as I'm sure you recall. I was too young to see you, and would love to have the live experience some time, either with the Pixies (dream come true) or solo/with Catholics (Still an mind shatteringly awesome prospect) .

2) If you are going to come here soon, will it be a bit more comprehensive than the cancelled August tour? You were only going to play 2 cities then - it would be cool if you could get to a few more major state capitals, as you fan base here is quite large.

Thanks for your time!

- Sheamus

Edited by - Sheamus on 09/19/2003 06:42:53
Go to Top of Page

Zsolt G.
- FB Fan -

117 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  10:15:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot that there's so many limeys on this board. When you mention the Shadows here in the States, it's like "who?" I mean we had the Ventures, but even they were bigger in Japan than they ever got here. The Shadows were certainly a bunch of dorks throughout their various line-ups, I mean Marvin always looked like a library attendant, but I think they rocked in their own dorky way. You got to kind of give them credit for inventing the "rock-combo" concept of rhythm guitar, lead guitar, bass guitar and drums. Their success was hampered a great deal I imagine by their lack of "hipness" when "longhairs" like the Beatles came along. Their recordings are absolutely pristine however, and really show what you can do with primitive equipment and excellent musicians. This style of clean, beautiful recording, which I definately identify as a British sound, (as opposed to the more "raw" American records of the same time) I think carried over to even things like "Dark Side of the Moon" I'd love to hear Frank & the Catholics to do an album with Norrie Paramour....if he's still alive, or even George Martin. Kind of like the Ramones and Phil Spector. Good to hear about Jet as well...he was definately a bit more "with it" than the rest of those guys. He even had his "Jet Black" theme song. I would imagine the Isle of Wight might be a tough place to stay on the wagon.
Go to Top of Page

dougit
- FB Fan -

87 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  12:00:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, you and I both know....

"When one stares into the abyss, the abyss stares back."

Sure, it is difficult to keep staring. and I understand your position these days, as you make it perfectly clear in the lyrics of "Southbound Bevy."

I have always appreciated your courage to have lyrics with teeth.

But, I understand that we all get a bit older, and we all need some peace. I need peace, that is for sure.

However, please don't stop thinking about the "deep" stuff, even if your lyrics do not reflect that deep thinking.

You are a spiritual being, I am a spiritual being, we are all spiritual beings (even the evil demons are spiritual being)....and there will be a brighter day (although, hopefully not too bright, that sun is about as steely-bright-white as i can handle, these days)

later Frank, dougit

Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  12:26:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What kind of shoes were you wearing at the Saratoga Winners, NY show last Nov? They were a grey styling pair and I simply must find some.

http://www.mediablazedesign.com/p/images/fb/110902S.jpg
Go to Top of Page

Kingmob999
- FB Fan -

57 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  14:01:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow. Frank Black has got some f@#ked up fans.
Go to Top of Page

Doryphore
- FB Fan -

Belgium
111 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  14:49:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Mr. Frank Black,

What would you think of recording something with Mr. Ry Cooder?
I think you'd fit together very well, musically of course.
It would surely be my dream record!

Edited by - Doryphore on 09/21/2003 14:50:17
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  16:38:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kingmob999

wow. Frank Black has got some f@#ked up fans.

Hey, that's a worthwhile question! If you had seen them there shoesies you too would have become a weird fan. Those shoes have got into my soul.
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  02:18:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by remig

Frank, a stupid question, but what is your favorite french food?

"Possession of anything new or expensive only reflected a person's lack of theology and geometry"

salade lyonnaise
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  02:19:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Onion

greetings frank

i have two questions. my first one forgive me if this has been answered since i didn't check all the pages in this topic

1 - is all the hoopla the media has about a pixies 'reunion' true or false?

2 - do you know when is the release date for the film Low Budget Time Machine?

hoopla?

release date...dunno...just a mutant
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  02:21:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gary13th

crikey, the man himself is here ?
Hi Frank,
the wife and myself are coming to the edinburgh gig and i'll be heading to the Sheffield gig...though it would have been lovely to have had a date in wonderful newcastle (lots of lovely, friendly people here !)
to also let you know - i was a Frank Black fan before hearing any Pixies songs ! I didnt own a Pixies album until after I bought TOTY.
i'll ask a couple of questions and hope for a reply (sorry if things have been asked before)
1- will there be any FB&TC merchandise available at the gigs ?
2- any chance of a video for Nadine ? would be great seeing it on the music channels, spreading the gospel to the masses !
3- not really a question - i hope these songs can be incorporated somewhere into a (non)setlist: Living on soul, Do Nothing, Velvety, Ole Mullholland (i think it'd sound great with pedal steel...) and Man of Steel (my wifes favourite FB&TC song !)

thanks for visiting the forum, thanks for the great music now and in previous years.
Gary

~you will get used to me, welcome to your new joy
Heloise by FB&TC

cooking v will be selling stuff. good requests...
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  02:24:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Itchload

Wow Frank, this is amazing. I just wanted to let you know what a big source of pride you are up at U-Mass. The class that shows Un Chien Andalou has actually worked you into the curriculum! The day it was shown we listened to Frank Black (the orange album) and Debaser/U-mass (we watched the movie with your music playing over it, ha). Anyhow, great to see you in the forum.

wow. that is truly great. i loved that class. who is teaching it now? is it levine? love that class. saved my sanity that class. saved me and sent me on my way. great prof. into the subject matter. inspired me.

fb
Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  02:25:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a pleasant morning in Edinburgh Frank, is it not? It is so dark I can barely see

PS - which is the best cyber cafe in town?

No man is an island, unless he is in the bath

Edited by - Ten Percenter on 09/22/2003 02:40:57
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  02:27:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by soundofataris

Frank, your appearance motivated me to stop lurking and actually join the forum.
I love your stuff, especially pistorelo and BLD, and I've been really enjoying SMYT.

Anyway, quick question: will any more shows be available from hear it again?
also, is the pixies regrouping legit?

thanks etc.
Brendan

I want to be a singer like Lou Reed

dunno about that hear it again site...maybe we'll do one...pixies reunion? is that happening?
dunno about that hear it again site...maybe we'll do one...pixies reunion? is that happening?

Edited by - frnck blck on 09/22/2003 02:45:42
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  02:29:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ten Percenter

Hi Frank - great new album, and some very good reviews this time (ignore those fuckers who work at Q magazine). On the offchance that you hold court in Edinburgh, some more scraps for you:

1. Is Snake Oil a cover of the Steve Earle song?
2. Is the person commemorated in Ed is Dead and Adda Lee the same person? In fact, does this person appear in SMYT - Nadine, perhaps?
3. You said that Blood on the Tracks was not your favourite Dylan album, which is your favourite Dylan record - Blonde on Blonde perchance?
4. You have great taste by choosing Edinburgh to rehearse in! Any warm-up gigs planned - Charlie Thompson's Rush tribute band maybe?

Great new album - cannot wait until the 26th!

PS - Jonathan Ross said that he wanted you to appear on his radio show again after playing My Favorite Kiss last Saturday...

snake is fb. no warm-up.. maybe open mic somewhere...
b on b

Edited by - frnck blck on 09/22/2003 02:46:43
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  02:32:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TOTIPOTENT

Mr. Thompson,

I am a GI and have been station in Baghdad, Iraq for the last six months and I was wondering why you are not on the USO (United Service Organizations) bandwagon (you know, when famous people go to military sites and put on shows to show them support). That was more or less a joke; I actually have a pretty funny story about a Kid Rock appearance. What are your opinions/views of 'The Happening' (World Events)?

I spend the rest of my days being a scholar of Botany and Entomology. In your lyrics, you have a lot of common references to such subject matter. Where do your interests lie within these subjects?

Very respectfully,
<\signed\>
TOTIPOTENT

"I joined the Cult of Frank / 'Cause Dean promised me World Domination"

man that would be wild to do a uso show. just like bob hope. world events? well. as an entertainer i let my views out in the voting booth. bugs are great. i like bees. jane the queen of love.
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  02:37:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chucksfan

Charles,

I know the Pixies gigs are way way behind you, bit my pals and I have been working on a gigography of all your shows.

http://www.pixieslive.com

Did you, Ken Goes, etc. keep records of the shows to help us complete this project?

Thanks!

Josh

goes knows all.
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  02:38:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JamesM

Oh, Frank, I forgot to ask. Someone here asked if you were going to be playing "Angst" on the upcoming tour. Since you're the only person besides me that's even really ever heard of the band Angst, I must ask: have you ever had the pleasure of meeting up with Jon E. Risk or Joe Pope? Are they cool cats or what? And how about a studio recording of "Some Things (I Can't Get Used To)" (or even "Love Dissolves," my second favorite Angst tune)?

-Jimmy M.

i know the angst boys. very nice chaps. in fact, we did record SOME THINGS during WORKSHOP, but haven't decided if is good enough.
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  02:41:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sheamus

Well, I have a couple of humble questions to ask Frank. In a lame attempt to make them stand out I'm going to douse this post with pretty colours.

1) Are there any plans to come to AUSTRALIA any time soon? Either with the Pixies (they never toured here ) or The Catholics? Last time you were here was 1994, as I'm sure you recall. I was too young to see you, and would love to have the live experience some time, either with the Pixies (dream come true) or solo/with Catholics (Still an mind shatteringly awesome prospect) .

2) If you are going to come here soon, will it be a bit more comprehensive than the cancelled August tour? You were only going to play 2 cities then - it would be cool if you could get to a few more major state capitals, as you fan base here is quite large.

Thanks for your time!

- Sheamus

we would love to play aus. we shall see. sorry to cancel shows. couldn't be helped. pixies never played aus. hmmm.
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1995 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  02:43:18  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Frank.
Any good films you saw lately?
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  02:44:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ten Percenter

It's a pleasant morning in Edinburgh Frank, is it not? It is so dark I can barely see

PS - which is the best cyber cafe in town?

lovely morning. belly full of poached haddock and eggs. life is good. dunno the name of this place (jus kiddin). well. we're off to practice. what a sweet town. love it. i'm moving here if i get the chance.
Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  02:45:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do that! You are a tease, Mr Thompson.

They told me that Snake Oil on the Nadine Single was a cover!

Thanks for answering the qs.

Edited by - Ten Percenter on 09/22/2003 03:03:54
Go to Top of Page

Chroneos
- FB Fan -

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  02:48:37  Show Profile  Visit Chroneos's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Frank, I read once that you mainly do your album artwork on your computer (Mac, right?) at home nowadays, when you were with 4AD on FB and TOTY did you make use of their art department because you figured you might as well use it, or is that something you're wanting to get back to as indicated by SMYT's artwork?

Also, the fact that it's 5:40 AM where I'm posting, I was wondering how you handle the weird time shifts you get from going from Pacific to British and back, then to Eastern back to Pacific and so on...kind of a mundane question, I guess, but I've always wondered how you and other musicians do it...
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  02:49:49  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This is excellent. Thanks for answering my questions Frank, greatly appreciated. While you're here and this place seems rather unbusy, I might as well see if I can get a grab for my upcoming Dr Who website.

Frank, are you a fan of Dr Who, and if so, why? Do you have any favourite episodes?

brank flack
- FB Fan -

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  02:58:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey frank,
i've seen you live about 25 times.....
i was wondering what your live set up will be this next tour
and i just want to say i love every album from the s/t to show me your tears.
will you ever do a frank black dvd of videos and/or live footage?
Go to Top of Page

brank flack
- FB Fan -

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  03:01:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
of course i am 10 minutes too late.......
Go to Top of Page

kempes
- FB Fan -

Ireland
49 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  03:07:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi Frank,

Great to see you droping in again.
I got the new album and Oddballs from SpinArt over the weekend. SMYT is excellent. Massif is probably my fav song. I also totally love Jumping Beans on Oddballs. Very addictive to listen too.

What do you think of cooking vinyls "Nadine" video?

regards

Kempes
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  03:09:08  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What a wonderful, albeit fleeting experience! When will Frank next log on to the forum? Only time will tell!

gary13th
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
632 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  04:20:11  Show Profile  Visit gary13th's Homepage  Click to see gary13th's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frnck blck

quote:
Originally posted by gary13th

crikey, the man himself is here ?
Hi Frank,
the wife and myself are coming to the edinburgh gig and i'll be heading to the Sheffield gig...though it would have been lovely to have had a date in wonderful newcastle (lots of lovely, friendly people here !)
to also let you know - i was a Frank Black fan before hearing any Pixies songs ! I didnt own a Pixies album until after I bought TOTY.
i'll ask a couple of questions and hope for a reply (sorry if things have been asked before)
1- will there be any FB&TC merchandise available at the gigs ?
2- any chance of a video for Nadine ? would be great seeing it on the music channels, spreading the gospel to the masses !
3- not really a question - i hope these songs can be incorporated somewhere into a (non)setlist: Living on soul, Do Nothing, Velvety, Ole Mullholland (i think it'd sound great with pedal steel...) and Man of Steel (my wifes favourite FB&TC song !)

thanks for visiting the forum, thanks for the great music now and in previous years.
Gary

~you will get used to me, welcome to your new joy
Heloise by FB&TC

cooking v will be selling stuff. good requests...

thanks for the reply, Frank, i appreciate it ! see you in edinburgh & sheffield !

They are about, dressed to deceive, architect David Vincent
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  04:24:31  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote

Edited by - Sheamus on 09/22/2003 04:26:35
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  07:13:15  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank,

Have you ever visited China?? Pixies albums are available here, and I picked up a copy of your first solo album in a dodgy little record store..... In fact a couple of my students said they knew of the Pixies when I told them who my favorite band were.... You know, Suede, and Morcheeba (and The Stones if it weren't for SARS) played here this year, and they aren't anything compared to the Catholics.... so would you ever consider paying a visit to China to play a one off gig in Beijing???

Stupid questions I know, but I am gutted that I am missing your shows in England this autumn!

Who's the man that won't cop out when there's danger all about?
Go to Top of Page

kromkamp
= Cult of Ray =

291 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  07:24:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Frank,

Let me approach the Pixies thing from another direction :)

Was the statement that you have been getting together and jamming with the other members of the band true? Does that mean everyone else? Are you jamming on old songs, new songs, FB&C songs, favorite cover songs? Would you consider releasing a few snippets on the internet?

Secondly, I know you have been doing one-off solo shows recently, any chance of a whole solo tour anytime soon? I loved when you opened up for TMBG and you were wearing half a dozen guitars behind your back by the time it was over....

Speaking of which, why havent you ever done something together with the Johns?

Finally, the song request :) Please play Ramona again!

Edited by - kromkamp on 09/22/2003 07:26:08
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  07:27:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey frnk,
they say it rains a lot in Portland eh?,
question:
as it concerns me and i thinks maybe you
-what's your take on the no radio play in the U.S.?
i have heard 'Olympus Mons' from Trompe Le Monde
and then 'Los Angeles' from yer first solo on the adult
(over the hill?)rock station here in Chicago but that was years ago
-headache used to get air on the 'alternative'station
(so why bother with promo copies at this point...?).
it is this snubbing which makes me hesitant to even bother with
radio other than news, but basically it erks me because when i do
tune in i start getting headaches from repeated poundings of dave matthews
et all.
your path in this business is a template for all i believe and i
would like to interview/document/maybe film you and your band some time
...but o.k. thats another story.
if you have a publicist you should have them contact NPR(national public radio)
i could see them doing a review of your latest and maybe a little feature,
they recently had some shows that featured the pedal steel guitar and some
of the people who play it believe it or not.
-i just realized my semi/x girlfriend who teaches yoga has a fellow yoga teacher
friend who is dating Ira Glass and i have talked to him a couple times so maybe i can feel
out the idea of a little feature on your band and your DIY ways.
- they are pretty open minded over there at NPR -actually when i was up in Minn.
near the boundary waters i heard an NPR station that played kickass music all day
from hillbilly stompers to the Blasters!
i come back to the big city and i get beat over the head with endless rotations
of ..blarghhh... -go figure.

your take on why it is...
keep it long please.

-

R
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  07:45:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i know, my name should be blahblahblah007
-so HOW DID you hook up with Stan Ridgeway?
-i have a 'Mosquitos' tour shirt in perfect condition
(the ink is so thick on the front it rubs the nips raw)
when W.O.V. went out without Stan it was hilarious
it would be like David lee Roth replacing you with the catholics...
inquiring minds want to know...

R

Edited by - blarg007 on 09/22/2003 07:46:34
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  07:53:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the really cool thing about you getting on here
and actually communicating with us worker bees is
that some of us can whilst slaving away at the factory
(a factory like in 'Brazil' where they all have the little
computer/video stations and they are all watching a western
-and when the boss opens the door they all simultaneously
go back to work -hilarious)chat to some degree to someone
who is bringing some inspiration into our lives.
thanks frank!

R

Edited by - blarg007 on 09/22/2003 07:54:07
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000