Page: of 55

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  07:57:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
speaking of Terry Gilliam,
did you see 'Lost In LaMoncha'
about his failed attempt to do the Don Quixote film??
-you should have HIM do the Frank Black and the Catholics
world tour film -there's a guy who needs a straight-forward
cash project!

R

Edited by - blarg007 on 09/23/2003 10:27:14
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  08:07:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
one last blag:
have you read any Philip K. Dick?
my guess is yes but i could be wrong.
-if you have what is your fave? and which ones have you read?
side note: John Lennon apparantly owned the rights to 'the three stigmata
of palmer eldritch' -he wanted to get that one made into a film
-i think De Laurentis got the rights after that but i am not sure
-my fave is a draw between that one and 'the man in the high castle'
(written with the i-ching!)
that book rocks -'the zap gun' is another fun one...

R
Go to Top of Page

jason_tsh
- FB Fan -

7 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  08:10:21  Show Profile  Visit jason_tsh's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Frank,
I see that there's only one support band for the UK tour?
I've put on Serafin before when I used to promote and do sound at the Boatrace in Cambridge.
Any chance you could fit another band first on for the Norwich and Cambridge shows?
The Norwich soundman does sound for my band at all of our gigs anyway, which would make things easy.
I know everyone on here will hate me for even asking you, but, you don't ask you don't get, hehe...
I'm serious by the way.
We could actually pull in quite a few people to both shows, cos we have a following in both Cities, but that's not really relevant seeing as you won't have any trouble filling any of the shows on the tour....
Damn, I can't really think of any other selling points to clinch this (non-existant, all in my mind) deal, hehe.
This last bit is for Franks eyes only, so no moaning at me for doing a "check out my band" post:

www.thesecrethairdresser.tk (you can email me from there)

tootle pip,
Jason TSH

PS - I am genuinely sorry for being so brazen, but it would make my life, or at least my year, if we got to support Franck.
Go to Top of Page

Superrobotboxheadman
- FB Fan -

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  08:59:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr. Francis,
Let's pretend that we are all existing in the same parallel universe. In this universe the Pixies have re-united and are planning a tour and possibly a new album. Do you think the Pixies would show some love to They Might Be Giants and consider them as an opening act?
Go to Top of Page

Whiskeyshoes
- FB Fan -

67 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  09:02:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank-

You and Paul Westerberg are my fav songwriters/performers. Ever meet Paul or consider collaborating?
Go to Top of Page

BrendanT
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
907 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  09:57:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Frank,

If the Pixies play shows again. When will the show on the moon or on the space station take place? Just curious?

Strummer-man
I had me a vision!

It's step, hip, step, pivot! Are you trying to piss-off the volcano?!
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  10:21:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the swimmer

Um, why are you all still writing in this.

He's not coming back to it.

Am I allowed to quote just for the sake of quoting?

"I joined the Incredible Cult of Frank / Then I got pissed and turned green"
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  10:38:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
right on brother broheim!

R
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  10:47:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey monseur blk:
are the sirens in the background of '1826' for real?

maybe a 4 alarm fire down the street?
or achemical spill from a train wreck??
..inquiring minds...
-
..P.S. definitely 'nuff said
-blahblahblah007

Edited by - blarg007 on 09/22/2003 11:57:15
Go to Top of Page

nomaduzzu
- FB Fan -

2 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  12:10:44  Show Profile  Visit nomaduzzu's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hello Frank!

my name is Miron Ghiu-Caia and I'm a music writer for one of the biggest publishing houses in Romania. I know all this may sound ordinary, but I must say it: you're a great inspiration for me. almost all the parties I've thrown and at least one hour/day are dedicated to your work. thanks for that, plain and simple. thanks for being such a musical genius.

second of all I must say that the song "all my ghosts" made me decide to visit my grandfather whom I haven't been seeing for about two years at that time. the coincidence is that he was just recovering from a serious surgery (i hadn't ANY idea) and that meeting was, to say so, his last moment of mental clarity. it's painful for me to say that, but here it is. i just woke one morning, recorded a compilation of your songs and went to the train for a 300km journey, although i worked that day. just like that.

I must say i totally love your music and i'm promoting your work the best i can.

i know it's probably just my imagination but i'd love to see you live in romania or near.

hope to hear from you. "show me your tears" is awesome - i love "massife centrale" and "the snake"

just a "hi" will do the trick ("then god is seven")

love you,

Miron
Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  14:04:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank as a matter of fact, good ole Don Levine is still teaching narrative avant garde film. The TA's of the class are all in their mid to late 20s and are crazy about your music so they play it in the discussion sections. Don Levine is humbled and I guess someone made him a tape of some of your songs and he enjoyed it a lot..there was some concern that he was the "debaser" in question for always giving away the endings to the movies, but I guess he went on the internet to look at the lyrics and was relieved that they mostly focused on the film (in his own perverse way I don't think he would have minded either way).

On another note...and this might be a stretch, but could the somnabulist in 85 Weeks be inspired by the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari?

(p.s. SMYT is primo)

Go to Top of Page

FranknWeezer
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  15:25:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank,

You may vaguely recall meeting me in Oxford, MS in Jan. of 1999 at Proud Larry's. You remarked about the picture of MOSE ALLISON by the stage and played Superabound per my request. I gave you a 40 SONG SETLIST and you guys had fun with me about it. Also, I told you how I first saw you on your Hovercraft on Beavis and Butthead. Saw you again this March in New Orleans but only got to talk to you for a sec.

Anyhow, I had a couple of questions I'd appreciate you answering if you don't mind:

1. Why don't you guys ever play "Cult of Ray" live (please don't say the answer lies in the lyrics...)? It would sound incredible with slide steel (...an even better remake than "Fiddle Riddle"). If it's lyrics (i.e. St. Francis), I volunteer to hold cue cards if that will get the job done.

2. I gave you a package w/ a cd in New Orleans suggesting you collaborate with (or cover) some artists like John Prine, Steve Earle, and Weezer (i.e. my id's 'FranknWeezer'). Did you even open it and give it short shrift consideration? What do you think of those folks specifically?

3. The lyrics "Don't worry hey, no need for you to hide among the trees..." from 'California Bound' helped me get through a really rough time in my life last fall. Many thanks. Please feel good about yourself b/c you have a tremendous positive impact on lots of people. That's not a question.

You're the man.
-Ryan
Go to Top of Page

hilljack
- FB Fan -

33 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  15:42:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank -

Thanks for the great music.

One question - what do you think of Will Oldham (Bonnie "Prince" Billy, Palace, etc.)?
Go to Top of Page

Kozaru
- FB Fan -

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  17:33:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank,
'This Old Heartache' just SCREAMS Leonard Cohen. I love it.

Chris

Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2003 :  00:11:27  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dear Frank,

What about :

1. an OFFICIAL live album ?
2. a best-of including the favorite songs of your fans and some rarities (Duke of Earl, Valley of Our Hope, Don't Clip Your Wings...) ?

I'll be the happiest man on Earth if you play these 3 songs in Strasbourg on Nov. 6 : Speedy Marie, His Kingly Cave & Pan American Highway.

Greetings from Massif Central.

A long-time FrankBlackologist.

Go to Top of Page

Chroneos
- FB Fan -

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2003 :  01:00:24  Show Profile  Visit Chroneos's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hilljack

One question - what do you think of Will Oldham (Bonnie "Prince" Billy, Palace, etc.)?

Wasn't he in Slint?

Edited by - Chroneos on 09/23/2003 01:00:48
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2003 :  01:48:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will Oldham in Slint? That would be crazy. He wasn't really, was he? They have such different sounds.

ixies
Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2003 :  01:56:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just in case you post again after another breakfast of haddock and poached eggs, a few more scraps for you:

1. Is is true that the song you like best on SMYT is Everything is New? (Logo magazine interview)
2. Why did Don't Clip Your Wings make it onto SMYT - did you want there to be 13 tracks, no more and no less?
3. Are you a fan of the late, lamented Green on Red, or Chuck Prophet's solo work? I hear a Green on Red influence on Black Letter Days and SMYT at times.
4. You once said that the Pixies were a bit like Bill Forsyth's film "That Sinking Feeling". Which film most resembles FB and the Catholics?

No man is an island, unless he is in the bath
Go to Top of Page

Malax
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1340 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2003 :  09:08:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FranknWeezer:

*ccccccriinnggeeee* yack
Go to Top of Page

cuntman
- FB Fan -

21 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2003 :  10:01:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

dear mr frank
can we have a live album please please please please

AARRRRGHH

Edited by - cuntman on 09/23/2003 10:02:54
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2003 :  11:25:11  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They're all been live albums recently, haven't they? ;)
Go to Top of Page

bazza
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1439 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2003 :  12:28:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
charles.
whats your favourite tom waits album? (i guess bone machine - expect rain dogs).
also - favourite bowie album? (ill guess scary monsters).
cheers

Television! Teacher, mother, secret lover.
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2003 :  13:20:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And continuing with the Tom Waits question by bazza...

Do you get to talk to Tom Waits often? I think a collaboration between you two would be interesting.

"I joined the Incredible Cult of Frank / Then I got pissed and turned green"
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2003 :  13:35:32  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedy_m

Will Oldham in Slint? That would be crazy. He wasn't really, was he? They have such different sounds.

ixies

Hey speedy -I'll be brief, but AFAIK, the band consisted of:

David Pajo (now in Papa M, and Zwan)
Brian McMahon
Britt Walford (as you are probably aware, aka Mike Hunt, or "Shannon Daughton" as drummer w/the Breeders)
Todd Brashear
Ethan Bucker
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Sir Frank,

When you speak of a full belly of poached haddock and eggs, and the "sweet town" of Edinburgh, it evokes for me a scene from the Wim Wenders film, "Wings of Desire":

...'"Bruno Ganz has a good face for an angel. It is an ordinary, pleasant, open face, not improbably handsome. Like a creature who has been observing since the dawn of time, he doesn't react a lot. He has seen it all. Now he wants to feel. "I'm taking the plunge," his angel tells the other one. He will descend into time, disease, pain and death, because at the same time he can touch, smell and be a part of things. All that he desires is summed up in the early dawn at an outdoor coffee stand when Peter Falk tells him: "To smoke, and have coffee--and if you do it together, it's fantastic. To draw, and when your hands are cold you rub them together ... "'

(from R. Ebert review)

You rock, sir!

"Toynbee ideas in Kubrick's 2001 resurrect dead on planet Jupiter"
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

lofiscifi
- FB Fan -

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2003 :  14:50:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
charles,

i can’t believe that you’d forsake the sunny, smoggy skies of the sfv for the ever dreary days of portland! if only the valley had been successful in its secession, maybe you’d have kept your “court” here in "camelot".

anyhoo, just had a quick question regarding your relationship to both ridgway and watt and how the collaborations w/ both came about. are you friends/acquaintances? admirers of one another’s work? i know watt and ridgway worked together in the past on stan’s the big heat. just curious.

cheers.

- lofiscifi
Go to Top of Page

hilljack
- FB Fan -

33 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2003 :  15:55:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chroneos

Wasn't he in Slint?

He wasn't in Slint, but he took the photograph that's on the cover of Spiderland. He's pretty incredible in any of his incarnations (the aforementioned Palace, Bonnie "prince" Billy). Johnny Cash recorded his song I See a Darkness on American 3. Outside of FB, he's my favorite musician. Check out the album Lost Blues by Palace Music if you're interested.
Go to Top of Page

monkey40258
- FB Fan -

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2003 :  16:13:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Frank i was wondering if you were having fun in Europe. The only question i really have is when can we expect the next album?

Hope you stop back in Louisville
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2003 :  18:56:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ah, this is so great. I've just recently got into Oldham. I have "I See A Darkness" and "Master and Everyone." I didn't know anyone on this forum was into him. I've wanted to check out Lost Blues; any other recommendations on where to go from here are welcome.
Go to Top of Page

hilljack
- FB Fan -

33 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2003 :  22:19:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by realmeanmotorscutor

ah, this is so great. I've just recently got into Oldham. I have "I See A Darkness" and "Master and Everyone." I didn't know anyone on this forum was into him. I've wanted to check out Lost Blues; any other recommendations on where to go from here are welcome.

Sorry for the derailment folks - other Oldham stuff to check out would be Ease Down the Road (by Bonnie Billy), Days in the Wake, Viva Last Blues, Guarapero, Arise Therefore - most of his stuff is great, but those are all superb (some people are turned off by the drum machine on Arise Therefore, but there are some incredible songs on that one). You should be able to get most of these on Amazon or more cheaply on Half.com.

Also, if you ever get a chance to see him live it's well worth it.
Go to Top of Page

moofah
- FB Fan -

6 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2003 :  23:43:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Frank,
Welcome to Portland! Please play many shows here. Maybe open mic night at The Green Room for a surprise. Or an early afternoon show at Laurelthirst. Portland is an amazing town and it is an honor to have you. May I ask what struck you about Puddletown?
Thanks for posting on this board. Very kind of you.

Edited by - moofah on 09/23/2003 23:47:33
Go to Top of Page

brank flack
- FB Fan -

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2003 :  02:02:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey frank,
i've seen you live about 25 times.....
i was wondering what your live set up will be this next tour..no feldman i assume since the magic band is playing in long beach (your hometown and my moms) this winter.
and i just want to say i love every album from the s/t to show me your tears.
will you ever do a frank black dvd of videos and/or live footage? we would all buy it......
thanks for doing what you do.

Edited by - brank flack on 09/24/2003 02:02:39
Go to Top of Page

Doryphore
- FB Fan -

Belgium
111 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2003 :  03:56:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll rephrase my question a bit.

Frank, do you like Ry Cooder? Know him even? What are the odds of you & the Catholics ever recording anything with him??
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2003 :  04:26:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stuart

Frank,

Have you ever visited China?? Pixies albums are available here, and I picked up a copy of your first solo album in a dodgy little record store..... In fact a couple of my students said they knew of the Pixies when I told them who my favorite band were.... You know, Suede, and Morcheeba (and The Stones if it weren't for SARS) played here this year, and they aren't anything compared to the Catholics.... so would you ever consider paying a visit to China to play a one off gig in Beijing???

Stupid questions I know, but I am gutted that I am missing your shows in England this autumn!

Who's the man that won't cop out when there's danger all about?

never been to China. yeah. you gotta get to England or someplace if you wanna see a show.

fb
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2003 :  04:28:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blarg007

hey frnk,
they say it rains a lot in Portland eh?,
question:
as it concerns me and i thinks maybe you
-what's your take on the no radio play in the U.S.?
i have heard 'Olympus Mons' from Trompe Le Monde
and then 'Los Angeles' from yer first solo on the adult
(over the hill?)rock station here in Chicago but that was years ago
-headache used to get air on the 'alternative'station
(so why bother with promo copies at this point...?).
it is this snubbing which makes me hesitant to even bother with
radio other than news, but basically it erks me because when i do
tune in i start getting headaches from repeated poundings of dave matthews
et all.
your path in this business is a template for all i believe and i
would like to interview/document/maybe film you and your band some time
...but o.k. thats another story.
if you have a publicist you should have them contact NPR(national public radio)
i could see them doing a review of your latest and maybe a little feature,
they recently had some shows that featured the pedal steel guitar and some
of the people who play it believe it or not.
-i just realized my semi/x girlfriend who teaches yoga has a fellow yoga teacher
friend who is dating Ira Glass and i have talked to him a couple times so maybe i can feel
out the idea of a little feature on your band and your DIY ways.
- they are pretty open minded over there at NPR -actually when i was up in Minn.
near the boundary waters i heard an NPR station that played kickass music all day
from hillbilly stompers to the Blasters!
i come back to the big city and i get beat over the head with endless rotations
of ..blarghhh... -go figure.

your take on why it is...
keep it long please.

-

R

radio: owned by clearchannel and the like. it's a very business oriented world. plus a lot of payola. radio is strictly business. has nothing to do with "art".
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2003 :  04:35:37  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
dear frank

how about those session with the two pale boys (of David Thomas fame)

what's your favourite Pere Ubu song?

''it's not a box, it's a submarine''
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000