Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Devils Islander
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  05:18:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Charles,
Any chance of you putting an appearance at next year's Isle of Wight festival? When last we spoke (2001 DITS tour), I told you that gigwise, the IOW was like "a one horse town after the horse had died". Since then, the legendary IOW festival has been successfully resurrected, and the only way to top this year's blistering set by Iggy Pop, would be to get FB & The Cs (or even The P****s) on in 2004.

...where the Ballyhoos and the Tritons are.

Edited by - Devils Islander on 09/19/2003 04:42:41
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunny
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
395 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  05:39:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK...

The scene: Dundee Doghouse, Feb 11, 2001.
The crime: Nicking of 1 x Stella Artois.

Frank, you kicked over your bottle of lager right at the start of the show and placed it directly in front of me. It taunted me all throughout the show, and when you left the stage (exiting through the frenzied crowd), you left the bottle sitting there in front of me. It mocked and teased me; I gave in and nicked it. God, it was good!

I kept the bottle (it's a shrine in our little rehearsal room out back) and have been RACKED with guilt ever since; do you forgive me?

Also, didja know you could have visited John Linnell's father-in-law, only a 10-minute drive away from that gig? I used to work with him at the hospital in Dundee; pretty funny as he didn't realise anyone had heard of TMBG until I told him. He was really surprised when I said I listened to this guy called Frank Black whose record JL had played on.

See you next Friday, Saturday 'n' Sunday, Frank -- rock us hard!

(I just realised, when nobody believed it was FB at the start, someone shoulda said "You ain't he". Remember that one for next time, kids, as it'll be really funny.)

Edited by - DruggedBunny on 09/18/2003 06:26:26
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  07:02:07  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Um, why are you all still writing in this.

He's not coming back to it.
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  07:05:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the swimmer has inside sources so he knows.

"I joined the Incredible Cult of Frank / Then I got pissed and turned green"
Go to Top of Page

nekom
- FB Fan -

23 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  07:22:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder what the man thinks of illicit distribution of his work in mp3, through peer-to-peer filesharing software. Everyone else has given their opinion on the matter...

Also, did anyone guess what those four songs (SPACE IS GONNA DO ME GOOD, BIG RED, JET BLACK RIVER, CAN I GET A WITNESS) have in common? Is it related to the themes or explicit lyrics (are they all about space travel?) or something with nothing to do with lyrics at all like arrangement or number of times played live?
Go to Top of Page

Foucaults Dog
- FB Fan -

Ireland
124 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  08:03:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frnck blck

quote:
Originally posted by Foucaults Dog

Oh, one other thing. How serious are you about Jainism? Does this extend to a karma free diet?

Well, how serious are YOU about Jainism? Now, karma free diet...is that like free-range? Sorry. A little dark humor. I dig the Jains. Ever see the monastery with the bug chutes? Gently sweep 'em in and send 'em on their way! Amazing. The Jain grain sellers, too...with the food bowls for the rats! Great. No. I do dig 'em. I like that one site. real peaceful-like. I guess philosophy is something that you can dicuss all night. But I like to read the Jain stuff on that site from time to time. Dunno why. Just do.

To be honest I can't think of any group of people that I admire quite as much as Jain monks (they way surpass any of my comparatively feeble attempts at peaceful coexistence with my fellow earthlings). I've done the veggie thing for more than half my life, and happily sacrifice the contents of my garden to the bugs and weeds, but at the same time I still worm my cats and dogs on a regular basis...the whole concept is fraught with ambivalence and tryin to work it all out can tie one up in knots. I suppose that even just being able to appreciate their ahimsa, and trying a wee bit to thread lightly, is going some way towards a better existence.

Thanks, You're a Good Guy

Edited by - Foucaults Dog on 09/18/2003 10:03:05
Go to Top of Page

Foucaults Dog
- FB Fan -

Ireland
124 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  08:10:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Foucaults Dog

If you ain't he that's ok, but if you are, one question please.
The Session you did with Glen Hansard... rather than going it alone, why he? Are you a fan, a friend, or just happen to share the same PR people here in Ireland? Believe it or not there could be a lot riding on your reply

Explain. Is some guy gonna lose his pinkie if I give the wrong answer?

"Non-possessiveness controls the senses

in the same way as a hook controls the elephant. "

Sorry, I must explain; "alot riding on your reply" refers purely to a bit of a wager some friends and I had on the session. No one here in Dublin's goin to lose any digits either way. It's just that I know the guy who does PR for the Frames, and I reckoned that was where the connection was made.
Go to Top of Page

johnny
- FB Fan -

3 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  08:27:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by harris

I think on this tour we should only watch Mr. Show (again).

Charles

[EDITED - Fixed the quote!]

Are you trying to shampoo us? I mean, what kind of a shampoo show are you talking about here? Shampoo?
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  08:37:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh king,
knowest ye that i do trumpet the cause with the local AIR mavens(radio):
this is a quote of my own (from elsewhere in the forum: P****s reunion)
...so maybe I should figure out the proper quote procedure..
<...getting paid well to find out can't hurt anyone involved -i don't think
the high road of non sell out notoriety is exactly doing anything for any
of those involved right now -except charles in regards to his own self image he has done quite well for himself -but for crying outloud i pestered
XRT 'chicago's finest rock' mucho in the past months on why no frank black
-pretty much all the way to the top and they have actually said yes they
should be playing frank black and do and have played pixies,
but they get real vague as to why they are basically ignoring him
-and beleive me if you heard this stations playlists you would automatically see FB&C right in amongst 'em (j. hyatt as well as iggy, replacements, steve earle and every other americana geetar slingin' band)
it's actually wretched how they of course play the same cuts from bands
-relentlessly, even the Clash -when Joe Strummer died they played
'train in vain' (mick jones sings that one)after giving the memorium announcement that he had past -i've been going off on them ever since
-they can play ALL the beatles cuts and any stones cut -even the one
where they have to repeatedly bleep the word shit (from exile on main street).
-which is just stupid if you ask me -this is the kind of crap that staid,
moronic decision making panels corporate or otherwise do with radio and it is just so damn sad to watch -er hear.
i picked on them because they are a throwback station to the early seventies and still have the same DJ's for cripes sake and i figured they might actually have taste but the corporate polling machine is in place somehow and they (DJ's) seem to want to play stuff like FB but don't.
for me personally since the Pixies have that 'track record'
it would simply mean a little crack can begin because stations like this
would be actually playing it for the masses and being one to WANT to just
turn on a radio sometimes that would make it a little less painful.>
..XRT had a banner up at double door last time you guys were there
right where you sell your CD's and such -i guess this is better than sucking
but when i hear 'everything is new' i just absolutely cannot understand why
that song is not on that station -i guess i am simply pissed off that radio
has become this 'thing' based on a formula which somehow guarantees income
to all parties involved-oh well . . crap formula=.....'have you heard about
that new radio station? apparantly a country station has joined with a rap station
for maximum profit, it's called 'CRAP radio'...sorry, couldn't resist.
i just don't think that these formulaic, panel driven ways work for radio
-i think they drive people crazy thus making awareness of how bad it is a forgotten
blur.
blarg.
-.-.-...oh, and by the way -you are by far a better song writer and performer than 99.9% of the others (can't think of one but i figure
there may be someone/thing as eloquent and talented and i didn't want to piss them off..)

Did your therapist actually say 'show me your tears?'
-i picture more of a Sopranos type thing...
the Sopranos is a therapeutic show i found as it is always good
to know how messed up other people can be..
mine is a sweet old lady -she's cool though.
-i thought of this because i would think the satisfaction you
get in your work and the catharsis involved in performing
would pretty much do the trick.

lofts are cool -i live in an old bra factory
-which type is it that you are in?
..allright , allright i'm outta here.

Edited by - blarg007 on 09/18/2003 09:15:50
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  08:43:22  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ProverbialCereal

Funny, smart ass.

Oh fuck...why should I explain. I didn' mean he's not coming back to the site. I meant, he's not gonna waste is time reading 8 pages when all he posted on were the first ones.

Fine. Don't believe me.

Just don't be a smart asshole about it.
Go to Top of Page

chucksfan
- FB Fan -

17 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  08:44:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Charles,

I know the Pixies gigs are way way behind you, bit my pals and I have been working on a gigography of all your shows.

http://www.pixieslive.com

Did you, Ken Goes, etc. keep records of the shows to help us complete this project?

Thanks!

Josh
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1995 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  08:50:12  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I say Charles don't you ever crave
to appear on the front of the Daily Mail
dressed in your Mother's bridal veil?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  08:54:12  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the swimmer

quote:

Funny, smart ass.

Oh fuck...why should I explain. I didn' mean he's not coming back to the site. I meant, he's not gonna waste is time reading 8 pages when all he posted on were the first ones.

Fine. Don't believe me.

It's getting pretty clogged here, but I guess that's what happens. But he has come back and posted on, I believe, pgs. 5 & 6. We may see him in here again once he's settled in over in the UK.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

massif snake
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
282 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  09:06:03  Show Profile  Visit massif snake's Homepage  Click to see massif snake's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Holiday Son

I say Charles don't you ever crave
to appear on the front of the Daily Mail
dressed in your Mother's bridal veil?

wicked, the smiths quote.

is it from "the queen is dead" i ve forgotten!

when i first heard morrissey sing that i thought he sed mollesting ur mothers bridal veil.

lol

have sex with the nuns at my school.
Go to Top of Page

St. Francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
548 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  09:18:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hmmm...more proud of songs than records....records are...an artificial format.

Excellent Quote.... good to see you back on the site Frank you certainly shocked me! Good luck in Europe.

When you make it back to Toronto, I hope you'll be playing another five night stretch... have tickets for the Astoria gig but I don't know if I can make it.
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  09:21:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey frnk,
wouldja do some covers that are more off the beaten path sometime?
maybe a song by Magazine (Barry Adamson, Howard Devoto, John McGeogh and Dave Formula )
'Model Worker' is what i am thinking -NOONE has covered that one and it could be a great
Catholics Rave-up.
..or..a Jam song -specifically 'in the crowd' -that would kick ass

R
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  09:51:02  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hey frank

what about those demo's you re-recorded with the pale boys?

''it's not a box, it's a submarine''
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  10:11:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
question:
how did you meet Stan Ridgeway?
-

R
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  10:13:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the swimmer

Funny, smart ass.

Fine. Don't believe me.

I can't help it if my ass has a high IQ.

I just found it amusing that you said "He's not coming back to it" and Frank posted in this topic YESTERDAY for poop's sake. It's not like he hasn't posted in this topic for months and people are still posting questions.

Sure he may not post here again, but there's no harm in asking questions in case he does. (Granted some people are asking too many questions in their posts, and it's probably a pain to sift thru it all. I think one-liners would be more convenient)

Go to Top of Page

blackpurse
= Cult of Ray =

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  11:01:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Granted some people are asking too many questions in their posts, and it's probably a pain to sift thru it all. I think one-liners would be more convenient

I work in IT, (information technology) and I know I HATE it when somebody crams 20 issues in one trouble ticket. As tedious as it is, I BEG end users to please open up a seperate ticket/call for each issue. It's otherwise impossible to track what you've solved/answered and what you haven't. PC, you are sooooo right. I don't know one person on any help desk or ombudsmans office who disagrees. (And before IT, I worked in, that's right, a univeristy ombudsman's office!)

I think it would be nice if we followed a similar policy for FB. Keep a question/post to him to one topic. Its easier to sift through, it's easier to track, and easier to cross off DONE when he's done. FB seems to be a busy man, and while we are bombarding him with queires, we are more likely to get answers to our questions and strike up a good dialouge if we go through the courtesy of making it easy for him to do so.

"Sacred cows make the best burgers!"
Go to Top of Page

neilefc
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  11:54:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
frank, looking forward to liverpool.
do you know who’s supporting you there?

you fuckin straight off or enjoying my fine city?
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  12:21:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blackpurse

quote:
Granted some people are asking too many questions in their posts, and it's probably a pain to sift thru it all. I think one-liners would be more convenient

I work in IT, (information technology) and I know I HATE it when somebody crams 20 issues in one trouble ticket. As tedious as it is, I BEG end users to please open up a seperate ticket/call for each issue. It's otherwise impossible to track what you've solved/answered and what you haven't. PC, you are sooooo right. I don't know one person on any help desk or ombudsmans office who disagrees. (And before IT, I worked in, that's right, a univeristy ombudsman's office!)

I think it would be nice if we followed a similar policy for FB. Keep a question/post to him to one topic. Its easier to sift through, it's easier to track, and easier to cross off DONE when he's done. FB seems to be a busy man, and while we are bombarding him with queires, we are more likely to get answers to our questions and strike up a good dialouge if we go through the courtesy of making it easy for him to do so.

sounds all nicen everything and i would agree
-but the parameters of this thread started very willy nilly
as far as i can tell -he probably got a new computer up and was
hanging out with coffee or green tea and started checking FBNET
out and decided to go for it and gave a call to dave noisy
etc. without much thought to the run-on effect.
mind you all the crap 'are you who you say you are' questions
were a real bother as it says 'the man' underneath his name
-maybe Dave could run down how it went down but as far as i can tell
you can't get a special tag underneath like that without inside
help-they are automated based on number of posts remember?
now that it's going who cares? -define 'clogged'
-is the main complaint that there is a lot to read here?
or clogged with the clueless
-O.K. let's make it easy -how? he started a thread and ALL his posts so far are there.
i can deal with it so why don't we have somebody who may know somebody
who at least maybe knows him ASK HIM how he wants to do it.

in his first post he says noisy could confirm it or that it might be fun for us to figure it out -but the tagline is a dead giveaway -or am i wrong here?

Edited by - blarg007 on 09/18/2003 12:32:45
Go to Top of Page

Blank Frack
- FB Fan -

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  12:33:34  Show Profile  Click to see Blank Frack's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Frank: Thanks for the Tempe show you did some months ago. What underappreciated artists have you listened to recently that really impress you? There's this guy named William Topley that I dig. Did you like the final Del Shannon album and/or "Drop Down and Get Me" or do you stick to the purely pre-1970 stuff?

--Sam Hill, Tucson.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  12:42:22  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blackpurse

quote:

Well, I thought it might be easier for him if, at least, we had separate threads where he could see questions/requests/comments and keep it to Q& A without the chat and replies, but I think that's pretty much impossible even if he were to start checking those threads.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  12:56:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blank Frack

Frank: Thanks for the Tempe show you did some months ago. What underappreciated artists have you listened to recently that really impress you? There's this guy named William Topley that I dig. Did you like the final Del Shannon album and/or "Drop Down and Get Me" or do you stick to the purely pre-1970 stuff?

--Sam Hill, Tucson.

so, is the location Sam Hill -or is that your name...
'what in the sam hill?'

-clog007

Edited by - blarg007 on 09/18/2003 12:57:54
Go to Top of Page

JamesM
= Cult of Ray =

308 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  13:11:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, Frank, I forgot to ask. Someone here asked if you were going to be playing "Angst" on the upcoming tour. Since you're the only person besides me that's even really ever heard of the band Angst, I must ask: have you ever had the pleasure of meeting up with Jon E. Risk or Joe Pope? Are they cool cats or what? And how about a studio recording of "Some Things (I Can't Get Used To)" (or even "Love Dissolves," my second favorite Angst tune)?

-Jimmy M.
Go to Top of Page

astro monkey
- FB Fan -

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  15:57:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Frank, can you please put these Pixies reunion rumors to rest one way or the other? PLEEEEEEEASE?
Go to Top of Page

BrendanT
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
907 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  18:40:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey! David Bowie is covering a Jonathan Richman song. Pablo Picasso. What a trend setter Frank! Looks good on ya! Cover a Link Wray song next. You be soooo hippppp!

Strummer-man
I had me a vision!

It's step, hip, step, pivot! Are you trying to piss-off the volcano?!

Edited by - BrendanT on 09/18/2003 19:11:21
Go to Top of Page

Zsolt G.
- FB Fan -

117 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  19:14:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard that you had originally planned to do "Apache" as popularized by The Shadows instead of "Cecilia Ann" to start off Bossa Nova. I think I'm one of the few Yankees to really dig the Shads, and was curious if it was ever played live or otherwise. Why was it nixed?

New album is really nice. For some great country music, You ought to check out the Glazer Bros CD compilation. Tompall Glazer wrote "Streets of Baltimore", probably best know by Gram Parsons. Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

BrendanT
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
907 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  19:20:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey. The shadows are actually coming to play in Toronto during the month of October. Not with Mr. Marvin though! Shitty!

Strummer-man
I had me a vision!

Go to Top of Page

BrendanT
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
907 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  19:22:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya. You are posting in his topic and thread!

Strummer-man
I had me a vision!

Go to Top of Page

Zsolt G.
- FB Fan -

117 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  23:49:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really? The Shadows in Toronto? Thats crazy. I don't think anybody in the USA has ever heard of these dudes, but in Europe (perhaps Canada?) they were (are?) huge. I didn't know they still toured at all. Last album I heard they were making horrible easy listening stuff, but in their prime they were pretty cool. I assume people just want them to play the classics nowdays. Who still plays with them, if not Marvin? Welch? We may as well talk about this, because I don't think Frank is coming back soon...who can blame him.
Go to Top of Page

leokearse
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
203 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  03:28:41  Show Profile  Visit leokearse's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The line up they're touring with is without Jet Harris, the original bass player, who was the only one with any real rock'n'roll charisma in the Shadows. He was booted out of the band in the early 60s after he was in a car crash with a girl in his car who wasn't his wife. I was totally shocked to hear that Cliff Richard had an affair with Jet's wife! I thought Cliff was asexual? I mean he's a hardcore Christian, and they're usually sex criminals or asexual, and I'm sure Cliff's not a sex criminal.

- Leo
Go to Top of Page

Devils Islander
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  04:40:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jet Harris (ex-Shadows) lives here on the Isle of Wight. He's a recovering alcoholic, and is still gigging with his own band. I think he owns a record shop as well.

...where the Ballyhoos and the Tritons are.
Go to Top of Page

Foucaults Dog
- FB Fan -

Ireland
124 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  05:13:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DruggedBunny

OK...

(I just realised, when nobody believed it was FB at the start, someone shoulda said "You ain't he". Remember that one for next time, kids, as it'll be really funny.)

Not to be pedantic, but with the addition of an 'if' I did ... must've been freudian, no pun was intended
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000