Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Otherfellers
- FB Fan -

Ireland
87 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  18:25:10  Show Profile  Click to see Otherfellers's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floop

quote:
Originally posted by Citizen Insane
I've already embarassed myself once this year by asking Neil Gaiman if he'd ever played ICO, I might as well tally up the score.

that's an unfortuante last name

Read Good Omens (with Pratchett) or any of his books. Or see Mirrormask. Or read Sandman, or any of his graphic novels (comic books is what I call them if anyone else wrote them, his are actually graphic novels).

You'll get over the name.

A little bit of fire never hurt anyone.
Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  19:00:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too bad he doesn't write a book called, "My Poopy Mustache". That would be really super funny. Sorry....

Ohhhh, my hair is getting good in the back.
Go to Top of Page

Someone
- FB Fan -

94 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  08:04:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FRANK. Are you a member of the Mars Society? Have you read any good books about mars since Red, Green, and Blue? And lastly would you go to Mars as one of the "First Hundred" if you have the chance?
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  18:53:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frnck blck

quote:
Originally posted by Daisy Girl

Dear Mr. Thompson, IV:

Any rare jazz you'd like to get your hands on?

Thanks for all the art you share with the world!

:) Daisy

hmmm...don't know how rare it is, but i'd like to get a copy of that chet baker stuff recorded by some guy on the street when chet was sitting in his jail cell just playing away the hours. might be kinda interesting...i'm sure it must be on a cd somewhere. haven't looked too hard i guess.

I have a connection to some pretty good jazz stuff and even some rare stuff. He just laughed when I asked him and said he wishes he had that recording too!! If there's anything less obscure, I might be able to hook you up. Anyway hope you find that recording and if you do, maybe I can get a copy of that. LOL.

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 02/28/2006 18:54:42
Go to Top of Page

Margin Walker
- FB Fan -

18 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  19:12:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
frank, what's your favorite pere ubu album?
Go to Top of Page

BrendanT
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
907 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  07:59:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank,

How do you feel being the highest grosssing attendance for a five night stand at Toronto's Legendary Horseshoe Tavern? Any other accolades such as this in any other cities around the world?
And finally, why Winnipeg, Manitoba? Any particular reasons for your admiration for the Prairie city?

Countercultivating Midnights
This world's a fuckin' stripmall!
Go to Top of Page

sunburst
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  16:40:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh sh*t. Just realised it's 12.45pm. Been reading this ages. I'm off to bed
Go to Top of Page

FrankfanL
- FB Fan -

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  18:43:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Frank ! Thanks for coming back to to talk to us. Like everyone here, I want to tell you your music has been a source of joy and inspiration. Lyric book, PLEASE sir. Your lyrics are fascinating, understanding the words you are singing is desired,important. Hope you are well and happy. See you in Chicago soon??????? Respectfully, Linda
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  01:59:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FB,

Just want to say thanks for going the extra mile and giving the OK for FASTMAN.RAIDERMAN to be a double-album. I am very happy to see that happen. Cannot wait until June. Cheers!

(( I'm a Snake... cut in half 'cause I'm not the one you needed. ))
Go to Top of Page

Nova
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  02:34:46  Show Profile  Visit Nova's Homepage  Click to see Nova's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hey charles,

1.The demos that your working on, are they pixies/solo?
2.Can we expect more Frank Black solo gigs?
3.What direction musically do you want to pursue after Fastman Radierman?
4.If you were to do another pixies album would it be same old,same old or would you try to add new ideas into the mix?
Hope everythings cool at the moment,cant wait till Fastman Radierman.
p.s please come and play Birmingham sometime as I know its been a while now!

Jamie.

D-a-wg Sleep (Buh-Buh)

Edited by - Nova on 03/03/2006 05:08:52
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  20:26:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yo, Chuckie, how’s your Poetry MOJO mojoin’?

Listen’ to WHISKEY IN YOUR SHOES, live Catholics at Shepherd’s Bush, right on into JANE, THE QUEEN OF LOVE...and then, eventually, right on into BULLET...fade to COLD HEART OF STONE...

LONG LIVE FRANK BLACK & THE CATHOLICS
LONG LIVE ROCK N ROLL

(to hell with Yoko, and, please, take a brief respite from the old band, and get the Catholics back together, huh...)

"I'm more of a self-indulgent epic kind of guy." King Charles IV

OMIACC - PostMaster of fb.net's Zenith threads
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  20:35:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Oh yeah, so glad to see you doing the 2 San Fran shows. My boy Scruvs will be there loud and proud, I'm sure.

Can't wait to see you again in a town near me...

Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  12:31:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Charles,

I live in just north of Seattle in a cozy little community called Lake Stevens. When you come through town this summer, I want you and The Catholics to be our overnight guests. Lots of rooms with big beds and my wife will cook a lovely breakfast for each of you. OK, done deal. See you this summer!

Go to Top of Page

MissMaceo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  11:58:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, FB...
for consistently having words to amuse, soothe, and enlighten.
for being relevant and interesting and important across more than half the years of my life.
for doing that awesome cover of Zevon's 'Ain't That Pretty' and ingratiating yourself to my music snob of a boyfriend in the process.
for remaining innovative and creative and exciting across an ever-growing array of genres.

and as for questions, I wonder things like:
See 'Heart of Gold' yet?
Do you listen to Townes VanZandt and, if so, isn't Rearview Mirror the best record ever made somehow?
Do you ever just wanna sit around and get loaded on a Sunday night and watch Family Guy and The Simpsons?
Read any Chuck Palahniuk? 'Choke' made me stay up all night giggling in bed, but I've enjoyed them all. Except diary, for some reason...
Does Jack come up and clap along and try to 'help' you play your guitar and, if so, can we expect to see a co-writers credit coming his way in the future?

Hey, thanks for taking the time to read and answer all this stuff here so far - very cool.

-Renee

"I find that on the internet, everyone's very tough in an anonymous, pussy sort of way'" - Josh Homme. March '05
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  12:20:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey I just wanted to say welcome to all the new members!! Doesn't this forum rock?? You're coming on at a very cool time.

Frank, which parts of the forum to you read? Is it just this thread? :)

Also what do you think your chances are of playing a show in Minny? Looks like you're pretty much doing the West-Coast thing, but I know there are a ton of people that would love to see you live in Minny (including little ol' me) thanks again!!

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 03/05/2006 12:33:49
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  20:03:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope Minny's a big girl. It'd be hard to fit a stage, audience and sound rig into one person. ;)

pas de dutchie!
Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  17:25:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Randy Moss's head could fit in Minny, then she should have no problem hosting a concert.

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  17:51:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That and her twin sister Pauley
Go to Top of Page

jtanner
- FB Fan -

89 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  16:25:11  Show Profile  Visit jtanner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
frnck,

There is a track titled The Real El Rey on Fastman Raiderman; is this the El Rey in Globe, AZ? If so, you are the coolest. If not, you're still the coolest.

jtanner
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  23:04:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Frank,

Speaking of covers... I know you contributed to a few Graham Parker renditions way back when [1996 maybe?] also with Jon Tiven. If you're still into the Parkerilla, I think PROTECTION would sound very nice with an FB slant to it. Hope you can consider it as a future cover, maybe... Thanks again for the music!

(( I'm a Snake... cut in half 'cause I'm not the one you needed. ))

Edited by - 1965 on 03/09/2006 15:27:49
Go to Top of Page

el_bastardo
- FB Fan -

Switzerland
1 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  01:58:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello frnk

aaaarrgghh.. i am sick, but it's too boring to stay in my bed.

ok, but i just remember, i believe it was you who interviewed ray bradbury. right? i read his book "fahrenheit 451" some months ago. and it was really great. story was good and it was written very well. it was very fresh to me.

so and in one of your song you sing: "h.g. wells" (do you know which song i mean? erm..)

so, i just thought, maybe you know the books of these two writers. and maybe you are so nice (and lovely) and give me a tip which books are great to read too by bradbury and wells.

i dont know where to start with wells. but i heard that -(sorry, i just know the german title which is:) die mars-chroniken by bradbury should be very good...

my english is not perfect. so please have mercy upon me...
Go to Top of Page

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  15:02:18  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Not being Frank, I can't answer most of your questions, but I can say that the song that mentions Wells is "Whatever Happened To Pong."

"If you doze much longer, then life turns to dreaming. If you doze much longer, then dreams turn to nightmares."
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  03:20:26  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
And the other book you're thinking of, I believe, is The Martian Chronicles. Excellent literature. I'm sure Mr. Black could tell you much more on those books.

Dietr

http://www.prozacrat.com
Go to Top of Page

candle
- FB Fan -

5 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  14:39:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First post and this is a cool forum (and a great thread). But I just wanted to show off.

quote:
I realize this hat was thrown into the ring over two years ago, but I recently read your challenge to link the 4 songs (posted 9/16/2003) and if the commonality is lyrical...

I think it's in the lyrics, but maybe we aren't thinking like a real songwriter. It's the inverted rhymes, right?

BIG RED
big red / [bee]bread rig
call Sal / [ca]nal wall[s]

SPACE IGDMG
phoen-ix / six-teen
[a]dult matter[s] / catapult

JET BLACK RIVER
[take] me on / [waiting] on me
home blow / [mon]o-chrome

CAN IGAW?
so lame / game show

Yes, I have spent far too long thinking about Frank Black lyrics. But I love the writing! And I'm in Salem OR if the tacos and (root) beer are still on offer...
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2006 :  21:20:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frnck blck

quote:
Originally posted by OldManInaCoffeeCan

Hey Chuck, your Nashville Solo Electric show was incredible. You sang your heart out.
Have you seen the thread over in "Frank Black Live"?

Your set list was posted and it showed that you had thought about playing Atom in my Heart, Selkie Bride, My Life is in Storage, and Violet.

Anyway, helluva show man

Here's two links to two videos from your set, I bet you haven't seen these yet:

Sing for Joy
http://s55.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0E60NK95YOP9138ZEG8RJVB4PN

Goodbye Lorraine
http://s55.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3JZ80ZKPIUQ0D3CI45RNI23UPY

Oh yeah, and some folks were asking about your guitars you had with you. So what's the story with those, if you don't mind sharing it with us.

well. those telecasters (i have four) are fender 'specials'. they were made in the 80's in japan. kind of a heavy metal tele thing. they had locked tuning, two humbucker pickups (very un-tele. kind of hard rock modern pick up if you will), and a whammy bar. i have gradually modified the guitar ovber the years, and whatever change i do, i do to all four teles. a few years ago a very well known and respected guitar repair guy in L.A. who goes by the name Toru (he is from japan) did the latest mods. i wanted them to sound more vintage, and so i asked Toru if we could dry the wood out somehow (this is how a guitar sounds better with age. the old finish cracks, and moisture is released gradually causing the guitar to become lighter and more resonant. modern guitars don't do thus cuz the finishes are different chemicals, and they don't crack, therefore they don't get resonant. this is one reason why some players like old guitars). So Toru says that he's got a friend back in japan who smokes the guitars to dry them out. so Toru stripped the paint off my teles, took them to japan, smoked them for three days (they smelled like bbq for months), put old style tuning pegs on them, kept the whammy bridge, ut cuz i like to scrape my pick on the old style bridge pieces, cut on of those in half just for this purpose, took out one of the pick ups, put a vintage style single coil pick up closest to the bridge, and i think at one point i had already removed the tone knobs on all the guitars. those are my modded out fender teles. Toru had kidded with me that a logo--which i had suggested---should simply be a red circle a la the japanese flag. i should do that. they don't sound or feel exaclty like a vintage telecaster, but they're pretty close. plus you can whammy around on em!

fb

Hey Boss,

I guess you'll be strumming your fender 'specials' at your San Francisco shows, huh.

How 'bout your song selection?

Loved the hell out of these from your GuitarTown solo electric show last September.

quote:
Originally posted by thedude

Yep, your setlist from your show, I'm guessing you came up with that at your hotel an hour or two before the show, huh.

Rock On, Man!
OldManIna"HonkyTonk"CoffeeCan.

Go to Top of Page

beckett trance
- FB Fan -

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  15:13:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by el_bastardo

so, i just thought, maybe you know the books of these two writers. and maybe you are so nice (and lovely) and give me a tip which books are great to read too by bradbury and wells.

In a chat Frank did, someone asked him about Bradbury:

quote:
Franny: What's your favorite Bradbury story? "Colonel Stonesteel's Genuine Home-made Truly Egyptian Mummy" is probably my fave.

Frank Black: The one about making a wish on a falling star.

I think he's talking about "The Kaleidoscope," a short story in Bradbury's "Illustrated Man."

There's a old radio play of that story online (27MB MP3) here: SciFi Friday Episode 27.

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  16:28:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Frank,

What's your fav amusement park (if any), and ride?

Hank the 8th was a duplicated man

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

toeknee
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
281 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  18:52:32  Show Profile  Click to see toeknee's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beckett trance

quote:
Originally posted by el_bastardo

In a chat Frank did, someone asked him about Bradbury:

quote:
Franny: What's your favorite Bradbury story? "Colonel Stonesteel's Genuine Home-made Truly Egyptian Mummy" is probably my fave.

Frank Black: The one about making a wish on a falling star.

I think he's talking about "The Kaleidoscope," a short story in Bradbury's "Illustrated Man."

There's a old radio play of that story online (27MB MP3) here: SciFi Friday Episode 27.

This is great, but I can't seem to download it, I get an error message.
Go to Top of Page

beckett trance
- FB Fan -

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  19:47:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by toeknee

This is great, but I can't seem to download it, I get an error message.

Weird... they seem to be having a problem. In the meantime, here:

http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=28LMQHVY10YNW1L9SP8W1YKVTO

silvereel
- FB Fan -

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  01:14:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow, good job candle. i think you've done it!
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  11:42:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Frank,

Hope you are as well as you look in the San Fran clips. Thanks be to the internet!

I have just one question that i would be truly grateful to you for an answer. Firstly thank you for constantly re-affirming my faith in ROCK. I am forever in your debt.

So here's the question.

When playing solo or with a band, when you are heckled and interupted mid song, how do you keep your concentration? And does it ever make you want to put the guitar down and walk?
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  12:37:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam

When playing solo or with a band, when you are heckled and interupted mid song, how do you keep your concentration? And does it ever make you want to put the guitar down and walk?

I almost saw him do that once!

Hank the 8th was a duplicated man

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

silvereel
- FB Fan -

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  13:03:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, was candle right?
quote:
It's the inverted rhymes, right?

BIG RED
big red / [bee]bread rig
call Sal / [ca]nal wall[s]

SPACE IGDMG
phoen-ix / six-teen
[a]dult matter[s] / catapult

JET BLACK RIVER
[take] me on / [waiting] on me
home blow / [mon]o-chrome

CAN IGAW?
so lame / game show

it sounds right to me. all of those songs are written with inverted rhyme. i think candle just won some tacos and beer.
Go to Top of Page

silvereel
- FB Fan -

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  21:01:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Surf epic plus time minus bullshit times one leg is both the same equals sand in the dog
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2006 :  19:41:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Q & A WITH FRANK TODAY/TONIGHT AT 10.00 PM PST IN the kings holds court THREAD. SEE YOU THERE!

FB
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000