frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  22:19:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by two reelers

hi frank

thank you for the music !

just to let you know that i will use a part of your song "village of the sun" as the introductionary quote of my phd. it deals with global geophysics & tectonics, so the "opinion of the rocks..." - part fits quite well.

hope you will be touring soon in europe.

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band

awesome. thanks. i kinda like how that song came out...
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  22:22:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by evilive1213

Hi Frank,

I wanted to ask if you have a favorite Mr. Show sketch. I'd have to go with the Wycked Sceptre party tape myself.

I meant to tell you in L.A. at Amoeba Records (Black Letter Days and Devil's Workshop release) that you're making the finest albums of your career (and they've only gotten better since) and how much they've meant to my wife and I. All I could say was "It's great stuff" and run. An understatement if there ever was one.

Congratulations on your growing family

I was gonna say that I needed the Bunnymen like I need toilet roll, but I don’t need toilet roll because I never go to the toilet.

oh man. so many good ones. the nostradamus and the designer one is pretty great.
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  22:25:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by P-BassPimp

Hey Charles! Since Jazz is frequently a topic in here, I was wondering if you've checked out any of the heavy contemporary cats like Brad Mehldau(pn), Josh Redman(ten.sax), and especially Kurt Rosenwinkel(gtr). These guys are improvisers of the highest order,the real MF'ing deal...no lie,run don't walk!!! what about Metheny? Ween? P.S. Toru Re-fretted A '62 P-bass of mine,very gracious and cool cat, neat to hear he does your shit too!!! Whats your Fav sushi spot in the 818?
Kind of all over the map here but thanks for never disapointing,truly an inspiration!!!

the way God & Leo Fender
intended it

yeah. i gotta check out something contemporary. thanks for the tip. get me outta my bad jazz habits..
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  22:27:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daisy Girl

Dear Mr. Thompson, IV:

Any rare jazz you'd like to get your hands on?

Thanks for all the art you share with the world!

:) Daisy

hmmm...don't know how rare it is, but i'd like to get a copy of that chet baker stuff recorded by some guy on the street when chet was sitting in his jail cell just playing away the hours. might be kinda interesting...i'm sure it must be on a cd somewhere. haven't looked too hard i guess.
Go to Top of Page

HeywoodJablome
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  22:28:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I guess I'm lucky. I'm here when the man is here again. Wish I had a profound question.

Till then, how you feelin tonight Frank?

______________________________________________________________________________________________

"And that's when Abe Lincoln said ..'Don't diss my homies'."
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  22:30:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Marsist

frank, as you yourself are probaly fully aware of you have released several thing on i-tunes only

bam thwok
i-tune exclusive ep
one more road for the hit
snake oil

do you not think this is a bit unfair to people who dont subscribe to i-tunes?

Art is the child of Nature; yes, her darling child, in whom we trace the features of the mother's face, her aspect and her attitude.
-Beck

well, hmmm....maybe unfair i don't know. they are the number 3 distributor of music in the u.s.a. right now, so it's knida hard to say no to something like that especially when the companied putting out real cds always kinda wince when you give them too many releases too soon. it's a matter of spreading it out a bit...
Go to Top of Page

spunXtain
= Cult of Ray =

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  22:30:18  Show Profile  Click to see spunXtain's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Charles you are a God among men. Loved seeing you in Louisville in '03 and Nashville with the Pixies. Tell the Catholics hello for me please and please tour with them again someday!! Oh and please never retire, thank you.

--
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  22:31:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matto

Did the Catholics ever dress up in cowboy outfits?

cept for dave mac. he rooted for the indian. didn't wanna give it up for no cowboy. fair enough.
Go to Top of Page

HeywoodJablome
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  22:31:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frnck blck

[quote]Originally posted by kathryn

...maybe west coast summer....

Till then I like the sound of this.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  22:34:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi heywood! hi frank!

hmmm. me too. i just got back from a hockey game and just turned on the computer while eating a ham sandwich. about 2 years and never been online the same time as frank and now twice in one week! no shit!

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"
Go to Top of Page

HeywoodJablome
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  22:34:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there anything that you pine for in Oregon that you could only get or do in Los Angeles?

Go to Top of Page

HeywoodJablome
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  22:35:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How you doin' fu. Good to see yu.

Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  22:37:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HeywoodJablome

How you doin' fu. Good to see yu.

fu's doing pretty good! don't want to be a question hog so i'll just let frank keep on going. looks like he's on a roll!

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"
Go to Top of Page

sonic III
- FB Fan -

7 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  00:01:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey frank,

this is off topic perhaps but what do you think of my bloody valentine?
Go to Top of Page

tobafett
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1713 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  00:05:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
howdy Mr. Frank...

2 questions fer ya...

*why isn't the theremin more popular?

*you have a few songs on film soundtracks...ever watch a film and think 'an FB tune would be perfect here'? or if not a hollywood blockbuster maybe an artsy piece or indie/cult film or maybe an onion ring commercial or somthing? :)

Edited by - tobafett on 02/25/2006 00:05:59
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  02:26:48  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by q172

hey frank,
i think this may be my first post. im more of just an observer to the boards rather than a participater after all. my bday just passed and a friend got me 'show me your tears'. i am currently loving it. anyway just wondering how those "demos" are working out. thanks and keep up the good work.

ah. the demos. must get back down there. songs. more songs. i must have more songs...

kinda like Robert Pollard's publishing title 'Needmore Songs' (he is also from Needmore). What's your opinion on writers like him who release 6 records every year and put out boxsets frequently?
You once said, that if you had a recording studio, you could make records all day. And you seem very prolific.

I completely understand your iTunes-thing, but you could set up your own private record company, internet only. If Robert Pollard can do it, you can do it too. I'm sure you have more fans than he has. Take a look at www.robertpollard.net. I'll buy every release straight from you. 13 dollars excl. shipping. pretty great deal.

---------------------------
God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

Devils Islander
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  05:45:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Charles,
Are you familiar with any of the art/poetry/punk rock n roll music music of Wild Billy Childish?

...where the Ballyhoos and the Tritons are.
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  06:30:12  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some cigares volants for you, Frnck! Enjoy!

Go to Top of Page

Tombo
- FB Fan -

1 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  07:43:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello there, Mr Black. I hope you're well and happy and that. Went down Ally Pally to see ya with that band and it was super. I teach and all the kids love you. How does this strike you - that you're popular with middle-class 16 year old English types? I think it's great. Oh and isn't London great? You like London? I like London. I like the grey buildings.

http://devonboy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

buymeasoda
- FB Fan -

19 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  09:05:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Frank, any chance of returning to the UK this year for solo dates?

Edited by - buymeasoda on 02/25/2006 09:07:23
Go to Top of Page

Fazereyes
- FB Fan -

8 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  13:17:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank,
Thanks for all of the great music. You're my favorite all-time songwriter, but I also look forward to songs you cover on ech album.

I'm wondering if you can give us an idea of bands or songs you'd like to cover down the road?

I'd love to hear your take on any Simon and Garfunkel or Nirvana's "Lounge Act."

You rock!
Go to Top of Page

The Marsist
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
730 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  13:26:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good question

Art is the child of Nature; yes, her darling child, in whom we trace the features of the mother's face, her aspect and her attitude.
-Beck

Go to Top of Page

beckett trance
- FB Fan -

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  13:29:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fazereyes

Frank,
Thanks for all of the great music. You're my favorite all-time songwriter, but I also look forward to songs you cover on ech album.

I'm wondering if you can give us an idea of bands or songs you'd like to cover down the road?

I'd love to hear your take on any Simon and Garfunkel or Nirvana's "Lounge Act."

You rock!

I've had a similar conundrum... Frank Black is an amazing songwriter, but covers like "Hang on to Your Ego" make me want to hear others. Frank, if you're entertaining any cover requests, I'd like to suggest "The Book I Read" on the Talking Head's first album, '77. I think you could do an awesome rendition of that tune.

Edited by - beckett trance on 02/25/2006 13:51:39
Go to Top of Page

The Marsist
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
730 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  13:46:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mr black could you please help me out with the big bang theroy lyrics. its for the website song data base:

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15476&whichpage=1

-Beck

Edited by - The Marsist on 02/25/2006 13:47:35
Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  15:42:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, his covers are sweet. In fact, I started a fun side-project group that did nothing but obscure songs that WE loved. It was basically designed for us, the band members, to have some fun. But, it caught on quick and the next thing you know we were playing them everywhere. One strange dynamic about covering an obscure song is that when somebody recognizes it, you've instantly and unintentionally created this weird-assed connection with that person. This can be uncomfortable. Also, they seem to want to pick out songs for you to learn. I have no idea why, or how Charles tackles a cover song and pushes it to the final cut of a record, but it would be cool to hear it from the man himself. And Charles, if you come up with a great cover idea and the band absolutely won't get behind it, what then? New band, or next song?

p.s. I caught my non-fan wife singin Calistan the other day. Girls singin FB songs are like girl bartenders- it just makes 'em hotter for some reason. Thanks for all your wonderful art.

Ohhhh, my hair is getting good in the back.
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1994 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  16:07:21  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
...especially when the companies putting out real cds always kinda wince when you give them too many releases too soon.

hence my question :
if you owned a label or a record company, would you release more of your own stuff or are you happy with one album released every year ?
Go to Top of Page

MMD
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
233 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  18:02:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Frank, if it might not be that easy to get the B sides compilations released on CD have you considered getting someone like disclive or pixiesdiscs to do a small run or something for that fans who want a real CD to sit on the shelf with the rest of their collection because that would be neat. Anyway I hope those new demos come out good. Thanks.

“Not since Orson Welles had one man so many fingers in so many pies, and been the chef as well. And then looked like he went and ate them all. The guy was out of control.”
Go to Top of Page

Citizen Insane
- FB Fan -

1 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  19:37:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe I'm a bit late for all this, but what the hell, might as well give it a go.

First off, this is my first time posting; I've been a lurker for a good long while, but it's taken me a bit of time to finally get up the nerve to post anything, With that said:

Frank, dude, you rock. This cannot be stated enough. If you had any idea how many major key points in my life have been accompanied by your musics ... yeah. Thank you. You are awesome, and stuff.

THERE! With that sycophantic stuff out of the way, I've got an actual question. You play many video games? Theme from NARC never fails to put a smile on my face, and considering my friends and I are huge gaming nerds (we used to call our flat Chase HQ; kudos if you get the reference), I was just curious how much of a gamer you are yerself.

... And that is my huge important question for the awesome musical dude. I've already embarassed myself once this year by asking Neil Gaiman if he'd ever played ICO, I might as well tally up the score.
Go to Top of Page

kfs
= Cult of Ray =

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  23:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beckett trance

quote:
Originally posted by Fazereyes

Frank,

You rock!

I've had a similar conundrum... Frank Black is an amazing songwriter, but covers like "Hang on to Your Ego" make me want to hear others. Frank, if you're entertaining any cover requests, I'd like to suggest "The Book I Read" on the Talking Head's first album, '77. I think you could do an awesome rendition of that tune.

How about something by Van Morrison? Sometimes when I'm listening to his music I think you could do an even better job!
Go to Top of Page

alstar
- FB Fan -

Australia
23 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  02:20:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How you going Frank,

You cancelled your solo tour of Australia in 2004, for personal reasons I believe. Had a ticket and no show.

Im just wondering if you or the pixies are thinking of touring Australia. I was lead to believe it was on the cards and then didn't happen.

Thankyou for replying
THE ALSTAR

BOSSINOVA'S DOOLITTLE FOR SURFER ROSA. SO COME ON PILGRIM, TROMPE LE MONDE.
Go to Top of Page

jtanner
- FB Fan -

89 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  10:59:44  Show Profile  Visit jtanner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank,

Are you watching American Idol? Don't lie Who do you like? Also, would you consider being a guest judge on the show? Kenny Loggins did it

jtanner
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  11:24:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Citizen Insane
I've already embarassed myself once this year by asking Neil Gaiman if he'd ever played ICO, I might as well tally up the score.

that's an unfortuante last name
Go to Top of Page

therewererumours
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1240 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  11:39:49  Show Profile  Visit therewererumours's Homepage  Reply with Quote
'Cyrano De Berger's Back' would be a particularly awesome cover Mr. Black.

Go to Top of Page

edbanky
= Cult of Ray =

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
388 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  14:12:14  Show Profile  Visit edbanky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Howdy Frankner. Been a fan for 1989 years, running down ATMs and scalpers on Market Street and the like.

Must say, thanks for being so prolific (musically) to make rabbits seem sterile.

Listen to some Don Byron for some spantastic modern-type jazz. He's clarinet, with Bill Frisell sometimes, but I heard him first playing on a Mandy Patinkin record. Now you know!

Question(ish) part:
You're obviously obsessed with France/French culture, so perhaps you can suggest one or two must-go-tos in/around Paris and/or the Loire Valley. My wife and I have a week to kill out there (first timers) in March.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I signed up for the FrankBlack.net forums and all I got was this lousy signature.
Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  14:31:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floop

quote:
Originally posted by Citizen Insane
I've already embarassed myself once this year by asking Neil Gaiman if he'd ever played ICO, I might as well tally up the score.

that's an unfortuante last name

I was thinking the same. Not like there's anything wrong with that.

Ohhhh, my hair is getting good in the back.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000