Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  21:05:33  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's waiting in his email.

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Subtlepaper
- FB Fan -

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  21:25:57  Show Profile  Visit Subtlepaper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank…You do realize that if you played shows in Texas once a week, especially in Austin or Houston the venue would be packed every time you played!!! Your style is very mocked down here by a lot of bands and solo artists whom praise your style and influence. What are some of your favorite things to do in Texas!! I don’t know if you come down here often. But you should more frequently! - Cramer
Go to Top of Page

tobafett
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1713 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  21:28:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frnck blck

quote:
Originally posted by HeywoodJablome

hi kathryn, how are you as well?

doing well...thanks. bulk dry goods and doors today...

doors, huh? what'd ya pick out? I just got through a major ordeal getting french doors installed...but they're groovy!
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  21:31:52  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good evening sir! As always, i'm curious as to what you've been listening to lately.

A few unwarranted suggestions:

If you're in an organic singer/songwriter mood, I strongly suggest David Thomas Broughton's THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO INSUFFICIENCY. He recorded it live in a church, just voice, acoustic guitar and a few loop pedals. Really unique and quite thrilling.

If you're in a Jazz mood, you can't go wrong with Charles Mingus - MINGUS AH UM. It has my all time favorite Mingus piece "Self Portrait in 3 Colors" and is really fantastic from start to finish (plus the CD has some nice alternate takes).

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  21:41:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

Good evening sir! As always, i'm curious as to what you've been listening to lately.

A few unwarranted suggestions:

If you're in an organic singer/songwriter mood, I strongly suggest David Thomas Broughton's THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO INSUFFICIENCY. He recorded it live in a church, just voice, acoustic guitar and a few loop pedals. Really unique and quite thrilling.

If you're in a Jazz mood, you can't go wrong with Charles Mingus - MINGUS AH UM. It has my all time favorite Mingus piece "Self Portrait in 3 Colors" and is really fantastic from start to finish (plus the CD has some nice alternate takes).

-Brian

yeah. i got a lot of mingus around here.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  21:55:39  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank, read any good books of late? I'm reading a book called Cloud Atlas right now and am quite enjoying it. Nothing better than a good book, except that it is hard to find the time sometimes.

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Frequency31
- FB Fan -

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  21:55:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank -

This may have been asked before, but have you ever thought about writing an autobiography?
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  21:57:58  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Daddy Frank: I've always wondered why you've never done "St. Francis" live before, but I guess I've come to the conclusion that, as a musician, the song must be pretty dang hard to pull off on stage and really do it justice. Is this basically the gist of it, or...uh...did William Mulholland drown one of your relatives and the song is too painful to linger on or something?

-=Apesy

Edited by - Apesy on 02/22/2006 21:58:50
Go to Top of Page

EvilDeadHead
- FB Fan -

9 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  22:06:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Frank have you listened to any Wilco?
Go to Top of Page

EvilDeadHead
- FB Fan -

9 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  22:10:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dang did we miss him?
Go to Top of Page

q172
- FB Fan -

1 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  22:31:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey frank,
i think this may be my first post. im more of just an observer to the boards rather than a participater after all. my bday just passed and a friend got me 'show me your tears'. i am currently loving it. anyway just wondering how those "demos" are working out. thanks and keep up the good work.
Go to Top of Page

spunXtain
= Cult of Ray =

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  23:38:40  Show Profile  Click to see spunXtain's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Frank, if i personally sent you a check for 100 dollars, could i get FastmanRaiderman now? :D

--
Go to Top of Page

tylerj_davis
- FB Fan -

24 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  00:50:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MR. Black.
vI was just wondering what your favorite RAy Bradbury stories were. Also, what else are you reading these days. You know my name is the best beatles song, you are right on that, especially the last verse.
Go to Top of Page

artgarfunkel
- FB Fan -

Bangladesh
1 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  01:36:57  Show Profile  Visit artgarfunkel's Homepage  Reply with Quote
heya..... little late, but i like t...o say....... that i like the art for your albums... some people think it's ugly but it's some of my favrotite stuff..... my favorite painters right now? albert oehlen, francis bacon, alejandra and aeron, and lynch.... what about you? hope whatever you do next.... rocks.....

i'll be screaming the sad punk, when i'm drunk.......
Go to Top of Page

Conrad
- FB Fan -

Iceland
89 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  02:23:32  Show Profile  Visit Conrad's Homepage  Click to see Conrad's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey, Frank, love your music, but I have to ask, how did you like Iceland? Ever consider coming back, maybe solo?

Go to Top of Page

scruvs
= Cult of Ray =

353 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  03:47:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by kathryn

I'm fine, heywood. I'm wondering what Frank has to say about the new album. Frank what do you have to say about the new album? Any plans to tour what with the new baby due soon? How's Violet doing? What's with Schwarma? Was that a clever quote for Rolling Stone or also an actual plan of yours?

I got some heaven in my head

hmmm...what can i say about fsrm? it's 134 minutes long!
touring...maybe west coast summer....
violet BIG.
is that like chawerma?
we see...

yes. west coast summer. yes.

It's only a matter of time before the right side of the main page of frankblack.net begins to look like it should:

Portland, OR
Portland, OR
Seattle, WA
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco, CA
Los Angeles, CA
Los Angeles, CA
San Diego, CA

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1013 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  05:44:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi frank

thank you for the music !

just to let you know that i will use a part of your song "village of the sun" as the introductionary quote of my phd. it deals with global geophysics & tectonics, so the "opinion of the rocks..." - part fits quite well.

hope you will be touring soon in europe.

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
230 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  06:11:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Frank,

ditto on that..I used your "the sky in very bright and the sun is very clear" line from Massif Central in my phd dissertation dealing with collocations and language acquisition.

I also teach a course focusing on Music and Cultural Identity in the US and hope to center the course around "Americana" this upcoming semester. Any recommendations of songs that define "Americana" in your opinion? Either your songs or others of course.

Erik
Go to Top of Page

Nova
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  10:05:52  Show Profile  Visit Nova's Homepage  Click to see Nova's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hey Frank, hope everythings cool.

would love to see you live solo some time in the near future.

Jamie.

Lone Child,Born Wild
Go to Top of Page

evilive1213
- FB Fan -

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  10:07:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Frank,

I wanted to ask if you have a favorite Mr. Show sketch. I'd have to go with the Wycked Sceptre party tape myself.

I meant to tell you in L.A. at Amoeba Records (Black Letter Days and Devil's Workshop release) that you're making the finest albums of your career (and they've only gotten better since) and how much they've meant to my wife and I. All I could say was "It's great stuff" and run. An understatement if there ever was one.

Congratulations on your growing family

I was gonna say that I needed the Bunnymen like I need toilet roll, but I don’t need toilet roll because I never go to the toilet.
Go to Top of Page

xallblues
- FB Fan -

3 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  13:01:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, I've always wondered. How does your voice survive the constant thrashing it receives on the road (i.e. all that screaming)? I saw you in Toronto (11/2004) and I was astonished at how well you pulled off your very demanding vocals.

When/how did you begin singing? Have you ever taken lessons? Did you sing in a choir as a young tot? Are their any special tricks or techniques employed? Do you just let it come out and not think about that stuff at all?

I'd be very interested to read your reply to this. Thanks :).

John
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  13:10:28  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hola Charles!!! Your fans in Puerto Rico would like to see a show down here in La Isla Del Encanto!!!(I already traveled and saw the reunion in Tampa).Hopefully one day one of the promoters will see the light.Gracias for all the great records you have released on your own and with the Pixies.I have bought all the albums on release date,tu musica es excelente and inspiring!!!All the best and blessings to you and the family!!! Sincerely,Carlos Lopez and your friends from http://aleceiffel.free.fr/
Go to Top of Page

P-BassPimp
- FB Fan -

8 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  17:37:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Charles! Since Jazz is frequently a topic in here, I was wondering if you've checked out any of the heavy contemporary cats like Brad Mehldau(pn), Josh Redman(ten.sax), and especially Kurt Rosenwinkel(gtr). These guys are improvisers of the highest order,the real MF'ing deal...no lie,run don't walk!!! what about Metheny? Ween? P.S. Toru Re-fretted A '62 P-bass of mine,very gracious and cool cat, neat to hear he does your shit too!!! Whats your Fav sushi spot in the 818?
Kind of all over the map here but thanks for never disapointing,truly an inspiration!!!

the way God & Leo Fender
intended it

Edited by - P-BassPimp on 02/23/2006 17:42:29
Go to Top of Page

P-BassPimp
- FB Fan -

8 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  17:49:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't Woody on " Cheers" already do the Kelly Song... Ha Ha

the way God & Leo Fender
intended it

Edited by - P-BassPimp on 02/23/2006 17:50:54
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  17:50:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Mr. Thompson, IV:

Any rare jazz you'd like to get your hands on?

Thanks for all the art you share with the world!

:) Daisy

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 02/23/2006 17:50:43
Go to Top of Page

The Marsist
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
730 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  18:54:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
frank, as you yourself are probaly fully aware of you have released several thing on i-tunes only

bam thwok
i-tune exclusive ep
one more road for the hit
snake oil

do you not think this is a bit unfair to people who dont subscribe to i-tunes?

Art is the child of Nature; yes, her darling child, in whom we trace the features of the mother's face, her aspect and her attitude.
-Beck

Go to Top of Page

Supererin
- FB Fan -

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  19:32:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi! Do you have a favorite Greek myth? It seems as if you are interested in it from some of the songs. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  20:22:19  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did the Catholics ever dress up in cowboy outfits?
Go to Top of Page

Solid Gold
- FB Fan -

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  21:51:48  Show Profile  Visit Solid Gold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mr. B.,

I've been inspired by your recording method - live to 2-track. So much so I made a record the same way... live to 2-track, 1/2", for the genuine rocking and rolling-ness of it. (Vocals were recorded later; my voice gave out in the studio.)

Seems some folks think that means "less cash in the studio," which I don't believe it is... I think it's for the immediacy, the genuine art, the discipline of it... at least for the musicians in the crowd, like me.

Care to comment on why you choose to record this way? Is it for simple commitment to tape of a song, less computer-machine-aid, like so many bands today, or ...?

Thank you!

Take a look:
PIONEER 10
http://www.pioneer10.net/

Or on iTunes:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=123607839&s=143455
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  03:56:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ccuadros

Hi Frank!! any plan for a southamerican tour....alone or with Pixies?? (or just CHILE!!!!! )

sorry. not yet...

try to include us in the next tour, you'll have here one of the most amazaning audiences that you've ever been .

On the other hand, why did you choose the title of Fast Raiderman on your last work?

Saludos

Go to Top of Page

kfs
= Cult of Ray =

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  06:41:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by P-BassPimp

Didn't Woody on " Cheers" already do the Kelly Song... Ha Ha

Okay, I knew about that one but it doesn't count, it's not a real song.
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  22:15:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oddball

Hi Frank,

ditto on that..I used your "the sky in very bright and the sun is very clear" line from Massif Central in my phd dissertation dealing with collocations and language acquisition.

I also teach a course focusing on Music and Cultural Identity in the US and hope to center the course around "Americana" this upcoming semester. Any recommendations of songs that define "Americana" in your opinion? Either your songs or others of course.

Erik

ha. funny. i just sang it that way. the lyric of course was sky/clear, sun/bright, but in the swing of take after take i just swapped them one time, and that was the "best' take, which i was happy about because the line was much better. kind of like that dylan line: smoked my eyebrows and punched my cigarette" or something like that...
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  22:16:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frequency31

Frank -

This may have been asked before, but have you ever thought about writing an autobiography?

i feel like i can't remember anything. you ever feel like that?
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  22:17:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by q172

hey frank,
i think this may be my first post. im more of just an observer to the boards rather than a participater after all. my bday just passed and a friend got me 'show me your tears'. i am currently loving it. anyway just wondering how those "demos" are working out. thanks and keep up the good work.

ah. the demos. must get back down there. songs. more songs. i must have more songs...
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  22:18:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by artgarfunkel

heya..... little late, but i like t...o say....... that i like the art for your albums... some people think it's ugly but it's some of my favrotite stuff..... my favorite painters right now? albert oehlen, francis bacon, alejandra and aeron, and lynch.... what about you? hope whatever you do next.... rocks.....

i'll be screaming the sad punk, when i'm drunk.......

thanks man...thank you.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000