Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  06:18:15  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Frank, back before Show Me Your Tears was released and you had just finished recording it, you talked about recording with a symphony and a large number of players as something you were thinking about for the future.

I'm just wondering if you're still thinking about this (it's a very exciting proposition for me) and if perhaps this would be something you'd be working on with EDF. I think you have a bit of an underexplored talent for instrumentation, if songs like Manitoba, Coastline, and, well, most of Teenager are any indication and am crossing my fingers...

And as always, thanks for popping in...

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  06:54:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, some lovely EDF has done some lovely arrangements for Frank, and also some cool deliberately cheesy synth on TOTY!!
Go to Top of Page

ivandivel
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  08:36:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frnck blck

quote:
Originally posted by scruvs

The end of a great Pixies tour....

What's next? Solo gigs? Studio work? R&R? Babysitting?

Hmmm...time with my family. They have been waiting for me to get off the road for some time now. I have missed them terribly. Not a lot of touring coming up. Happy about that. Watching jazz documentaries with the little ones. Now that's a good night! Write some songs I guess. Been talking to Feldman 'bout making a record. Yeah. Overdue. Feldman.

fb

Feldman - yes! Trompe le monde, FB and Teenager of The Year.

Here´s a quote (http://www.knittingfactory.com/articles/get_feature.cfm?feature_num=42&head=Feeling%20California%3A%20an%20interview%20with%20Van%20Dyke%20Parks%20and%20Frank%20Black%20PART%201%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20)

"I think sometimes a great work might involve another person that you’re working with. You mention a record I did called Teenager of the Year and there was a guy named Eric Drew Feldman, producing the record with me. I think we were able to achieve a greater height because there was a little bit of a team thing going on there. I’m not saying it always works like that, but sometimes it does."

Looking forward to any release, but if this "team-work-thing" happens again..... well. Don't think about it. Forget the quote. Just do it.

Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  19:10:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Frank

Would you be interested in having some of you live performances (namely catholics) be added to Archive.org ???

http://www.archive.org/audio/etreelisting-browse.php

It's pretty easy to do, and fans are the ones who do all the work, but it's strictly live performances... I think it would be cool if Frank Black was on that list (since Pixies are on disclive I can see how that might not work)

I love you man, you play from the heart

... Tell your mom to save me a plate.
Go to Top of Page

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  23:20:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a brilliant idea.

"Quit shouting those rerun songs at me! I'm doing what I want to do, and I don't care what you think you need!
—Play that song 'Jesus is the Answer'!
—Come up here on stage and play with my balls."
--Wesley Willis Vs. a Fan
Go to Top of Page

BrendanT
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
907 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  05:55:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LBF,

Do you have a live show that has Announcement at the end? I think it was played primarily on a UK tour.

Countercultivating Midnights
This world's a fuckin' stripmall!
Go to Top of Page

conl
- FB Fan -

5 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  11:49:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, Frank -
Today is Rimbaud's birthday, and I have a hangover.
Know any good cures?
I feel like I'm made out of hamburger.

Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  21:17:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Premier Pied Piper,

What are the 5 greatest love songs that you've written to date?

[edit: I don't want to get you in trouble at home or anything so I'll disqualify Speedy Marie and Violet from your selections]

"I'm more of a self-indulgent epic kind of guy." King Charles IV

Edited by - OldManInaCoffeeCan on 10/22/2005 21:27:02
Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  21:44:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honeycomb is absolutely perfect, and getting better each overcast Seattle day.

The Vampire Bird
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  21:49:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
King Charles IV,

I really dig that quasi-Elvis look you had goin' on back in 2002 when you appeared on
Craig Kilborn's Late, Late Show on CBS and performed COLD HEART OF STONE with Dave Philips
on Pedal Steel. (the video was posted somewhere, if you haven't seen it let me know)

You were dressed in black with your Dog in the Sand era big western belt buckle and
some bad-ass blue suede shoes.

You also snarled your lip throughout the song

If you still got 'em, how 'bout selling me those shoes and that belt buckle?
You could donate the money to the RED CROSS.

Edited by - OldManInaCoffeeCan on 10/22/2005 21:51:43
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2005 :  03:10:24  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have you sent Chad his 'ProCo Rat' back, yet?
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  21:19:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yo, King Chas,

Did you listen to DaisyGirl and Joshua's FRANK BLACK MUSIC radio show Sunday afternoon on KFAI Radio in Minneapolis/St. Paul Minnesota http://www.kfai.org/

It was great. I've included below a link (thanks to Scruvs for the link) to a recording of the show.

http://s33.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1I1BH404VPQTO3MZJCHIXFA9R8

Go to Top of Page

conl
- FB Fan -

5 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  11:57:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, Frank -
I feel much better today.
How/Where'd you come up with the chord progression for "The Swimmer"?
They're all over the place on that one.
Actually, you've got a lot of songs that don't seem follow "traditional" chord patterns, but they never sound forced or dissonant.
Do you use a piano to come up with the more far-out ones, or do you write exclusively on guitar?
Go to Top of Page

Z_Zoquis
- FB Fan -

145 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  14:56:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Frank. I've got an offer you can't refuse. If you come back to winnipeg I'll buy you a chili dog at the whistle pig! No lie pal, I'll do it.

Hey, heres a ? for you - how'd you learn to play? Self taught or any lessons?
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  20:15:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Boss,

I was reading your billboard interview again about touring with some alt country guys:

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001263299

"Whereas with just 'Honeycomb,' that band was such a classic lineup and it was the only record
representing my so-called 'Nashville' period, that I felt under a little pressure to have that
band," Black continues. "I didn't want to go out with some young buck alternative rock guys.
But now that there's a second record with different people, I could find some alt-country guys."

If I may, I would suggest Rich Gilbert, Joshua Black Wilkins, and Steve Latanation

"two separate albums released on the same day, thank you"

Edited by - OldManInaCoffeeCan on 11/01/2005 20:16:58
Go to Top of Page

MDGsolo
- FB Fan -

17 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  08:03:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Testing. Testing. Am I on?

I think I read somewhere that you had a connection to Oregon somehow. Do you still, and what is it about your personal sense of place that inspires or leeches into songwriting, particularly Oregon, if at all?

Matt
Bend, OR

PS I talked to Ken a couple of times several years ago about trying to get a Catholics show together in Bend and got the dust off a few times, but I'd love to help make that a reality some day...
Go to Top of Page

scruvs
= Cult of Ray =

353 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  23:33:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank,

I have a request. Would you consider rerecording "Constant Sorrow Man" and "Pan American Highway" and including them on an officially released album someday?
I think they're both great songs. I can't even imagine how great they'd sound after you work the same magic you worked for some of the other songs on SUNDAY SUNNY MILL VALLEY GROOVE DAY.

Edited by - scruvs on 11/02/2005 23:33:51
Go to Top of Page

Don Eduardo
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
403 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  18:41:46  Show Profile  Click to see Don Eduardo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Frank,

i just have one question, one word....

AUSTRALIA??
Go to Top of Page

kfs
= Cult of Ray =

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  21:04:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Frank!
What is your favorite TMBG song?
Also, I want to share this pic with you. I like the background...

Edited by - kfs on 11/04/2005 21:20:06
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2005 :  02:13:35  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
you look like a couple on that picture
which of course is ok
don't mean to offend anyone

---------------------------
God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2005 :  07:31:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those pictures are fantastic. Thanks for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

endofmiles
- FB Fan -

Switzerland
69 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2005 :  09:40:00  Show Profile  Click to see endofmiles's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote

Hi Frank,

I'm amazed by Honeycomb. A great piece of work! Now, i heard that you've recorded it in four days!? Was it stressfull or was it fun from beginning to end? Well, you can say that you are a professional, but I say: "superbe!".

Suerte

I agree, great pics!
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  21:47:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
frnk do you or have you in the past used different string gauges?
Go to Top of Page

mostasteless
- FB Fan -

81 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  13:27:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank -
noticed you name dropped Django a couple of pages ago, and he has been an on-and-off again obsession for me for quite some time. Actually, I just gave a report on him for my French class today (story has it that he couldnt read or write, so his first few gigs showed up as Jiango Renard)!
Anyways, I was wondering if you had heard any of his electric work that he did at the end of his career? Like Night and Day, and I forget some of the other ones. All I've been able to hear are the electric tunes at the end of the Verve Jazzmasters set, which is not nearly enough! Have you come across any of his other electric stuff?(or any at all for that matter?)

Edited by - mostasteless on 11/07/2005 13:38:17
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  20:45:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't wait for the new record and when you tour again! Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  21:21:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by frnck blck

JACK ERROL THOMPSON

BORN JANUARY 7, 2005 AT 3:59 PM.

HE'S PERFECT! 7 POUNDS AND 9 OUNCES OF PURE HANDSOME.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Pops, How's Junior?

So, what do you think, are you ready for a few more...5's a good number, you already have 3, so you're more than 1/2 way there now...I don't know...just a thought...

"two separate albums released on the same day, thank you"
Go to Top of Page

Sagacious
- FB Fan -

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  10:34:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank Black---I hope you have time to stop by soon because wow, having the opportunity to touch base with you is borderline surreal. And I thought my seeing The Pixies play in Amsterdam last year was a Midwestern girlie’s impossible dream come true (a great show by the way, the acoustics in the Heineken enhanced your music so impeccably). Not to mention the other perks of attending a show in Holland…
ANYHOW, on to the reason I’m posting---As a fellow fan of the unusual, I wanted to suggest a song to you that might be something you could wrap your mind around on either a lyrical or musical basis. It’s called ‘The Hermit’ and it’s credited to Jonathon Halper. It’s the only song on the soundtrack to a Kenneth Anger mini-movie titled ‘Puce Moment’. Over the years, it stuck in my head as something The Pixies could make an amazing rendition of. (I think a ukulele would even work well in certain parts :)
The interesting part, is that this is the only song in existence that Jonathon Halper wrote/performed and shortly after he completed it, he joined a monastery. Ironic, eh? (at least to those who’ve heard of Kenneth Anger)
Unfortunately, there is no digital recording of this song on the Internet that I can find. However I DO have 95% of the lyrics, and the movie ‘Puce Moment’ was easy to come by on ebay.
Let me know if I should post the lyrics -
And a warm hello to all the other fb fans out there,
Sagacious

P.S. I realize this hat was thrown into the ring over two years ago, but I recently read your challenge to link the 4 songs (posted 9/16/2003) and if the commonality is lyrical, I would have to say each song makes reference to the impending species-splitting caused by the weather control conspiracies from Area 51, possibly drawing a NACH-IO connection to this.
Has the taco offer expired?? Ha ha…
Go to Top of Page

Sagacious
- FB Fan -

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  11:20:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
P.P.S. – fb fans - I have some nice Pixies pics from Lollapalooza 2005, as well as 60 seconds worth of ‘U-Mass’ and all of ‘Where is My Mind’ if anyone is interested (shaky, but very cool recording of Where is my mind as it was the encore). I’m not real proficient with posting/trading vids on these forums so just email me if interested.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  15:54:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting those pics, douchebag, and hi (I hope your name is tongue-in-cheek, I'm sure your not really racist!!). And hi Sagacious, too!
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  07:26:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I hope that's a typo and you meant 'specs':

"I seem to have rejoined the cult of FB.Net!"
Go to Top of Page

junkmale
- FB Fan -

79 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  01:25:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by vilainde

(note: about the stolen gear, did you know Sonic Youth recently recovered ALL their gear that was stolen something like 5 years ago? The gear hadn't been sold. There's hope!)

I don't think they got all of it back (they lost literally dozens of weird customized guitars). They have got some of it, like the (rare and expensive) Travis Beans, that were presumably difficult to sell.

I need peace... turned up so loud

Edited by - junkmale on 11/17/2005 01:29:13
Go to Top of Page

Z_Zoquis
- FB Fan -

145 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  08:51:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Say Frank, if you happen to eye-ball this thread again I've got a question for you. When you're just hanging around the house doodling on one of those lovely Teles you play, what do you use for an amp? I know you probably have access to a wide array of quality equipment, but for just plinking away in the rec-room (if you ever do that anymore) what do you use for a practice amp? I'm looking for a small (maybe 30-50 watt), inexpensive amp and would value any recommendation you might have. :)

Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  17:43:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember Frank mentioned in an interview that he likes those Fender Piggyback amps. I think they're kind of small, but I'm not sure.

"Join the Honeycult!"

Edited by - Carl on 12/03/2005 17:44:01
Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  17:50:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see Charles as more of an acoustic on the couch type of guy. All of his FB songs play well acoustically. I love turkey.

I'm pretty sure I crapped my pants.... Yep.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  17:56:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure I remember him saying he was messing around on a ukulele sitting at home on the couch, before. Also, I remember him being asked on MTV a few years back if he composed on other instruments, and he said a harmonica!

"Join the Honeycult!"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000