Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  20:41:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Boss, I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin', if you can't get the 'Comb Cats together I know some boys
that'll fill in just fine, The Duke (who we understand went in the studio with you
on some of your Nashville stuff), Joshua Black Wilkins (you met him at your Nashville solo electric show),
Steve, and Scott.
http://cdbaby.com/cd/jbwilkins for a listen, and http://joshuablackwilkins.com/index2.htm

You know you can play here in Guitar Town for a week or two and get good and sweaty,
and then set-up residency in Chicago, New York And London.

And next time your here in Nashville don't rent a car, my '66 is your '66!
Good way to get your Poetry MoJo going, top down, open road, huh.
(I'm not so generous with my woman, she don't come with the car)

"I'm more of a self-indulgent epic kind of guy." King Charles IV

Edited by - OldManInaCoffeeCan on 10/15/2005 20:50:20
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  21:26:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Chuck, your Nashville Solo Electric show was incredible. You sang your heart out.
Have you seen the thread over in "Frank Black Live"?

Your set list was posted and it showed that you had thought about playing Atom in my Heart, Selkie Bride, My Life is in Storage, and Violet.

Anyway, helluva show man

Here's two links to two videos from your set, I bet you haven't seen these yet:

Sing for Joy
http://s55.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0E60NK95YOP9138ZEG8RJVB4PN

Goodbye Lorraine
http://s55.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3JZ80ZKPIUQ0D3CI45RNI23UPY

Oh yeah, and some folks were asking about your guitars you had with you. So what's the story with those, if you don't mind sharing it with us.

Edited by - OldManInaCoffeeCan on 10/15/2005 21:38:34
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  02:32:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FB, could you enlighten on the origins of SNAKE OIL please. I understand it is a cover, but I do not know by who - as I cannot find any reference to it anywhere.

Also, will your song MY NAME IS GARY [from Low Budget Time Machine] make a commercial release someday? I do not know what it sounds like, but am very curious about this track.

Thanks!

** I’m a snake oh yes I’m very smart **
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  03:07:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Frank,

Have you ever been asked to refrain from using expletives during a performance?
Go to Top of Page

tobafett
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1713 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  20:03:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What songs are you replaying ad nauseum on your iPod? (or other mp3 player)
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  21:33:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tobafett

Read any good sci-fi lately?

(oh yeah--nice interview in MacDirectory--you ever need some mac tech support, holler!) :)

why thanks. i might take you up on that offer. i just got a couple of g4s. that's why i go mac. easy most of the time. but i don't do complicated stuff...yet!

fb
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  21:35:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tobafett

What songs are you replaying ad nauseum on your iPod? (or other mp3 player)

no ipod yet. i think about it. but i listen so much in the car and on boom boxes. i like those new little ones.

fb
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  21:38:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ccuadros

Hi Frank!! please come to Latinoamerica again...and visit Chile, you have thousands of fans here, I swear that you´ll enjoy here a lot . Any plan ??

Saludos y un abrazo

P.D.: Always I have a big doubt in the lyrics of Rock Music...what does it mean "encatuse"...(may be you want say "me conoce"?)

hmmm...that might be some special puerto rican word. i can't remember. i think it means "don't mess with me" or something like that. as i recall it was kind of a local"spanglish" word; or it could be that i just mangled the language. i've done a lot of that!

fb
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  21:40:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1965

FB, could you enlighten on the origins of SNAKE OIL please. I understand it is a cover, but I do not know by who - as I cannot find any reference to it anywhere.

Also, will your song MY NAME IS GARY [from Low Budget Time Machine] make a commercial release someday? I do not know what it sounds like, but am very curious about this track.

Thanks!

** I’m a snake oh yes I’m very smart **

i wish i knew about the snake oil song. i've tried to find out. i found it on a cassette compilation i found in italy at a gaas station. it doesn't list the performer, and i think i have only the last name of the writer who i can't think of at the moment, but i was never able to figure out who the write was or the performer. I would love to know.

fb
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  21:42:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

Sorry you got soaked at Lansdowne! Thank you for moving, inspiring and fullfilling me over the years. You're a unique artist and my hero!

oh no. it was refreshing! loved that gig. thanks. love the island.

fb
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  21:45:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dear frank,

i know you're a big film buff and you've said before that at one point you wanted to be a film director. if you wanted to direct a film, what would it be?

also, who is your favorite contemporary director?

Edited by - floop on 10/17/2005 21:54:52
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  21:51:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
frank, I was wondering if you ever consdidered covering Needle in the Hay?

I love you man, you play from the heart!

... Tell your mom to save me a plate.

Edited by - Little Black Francis on 10/17/2005 21:57:08
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  22:01:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OldManInaCoffeeCan

Hey Chuck, your Nashville Solo Electric show was incredible. You sang your heart out.
Have you seen the thread over in "Frank Black Live"?

Your set list was posted and it showed that you had thought about playing Atom in my Heart, Selkie Bride, My Life is in Storage, and Violet.

Anyway, helluva show man

Here's two links to two videos from your set, I bet you haven't seen these yet:

Sing for Joy
http://s55.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0E60NK95YOP9138ZEG8RJVB4PN

Goodbye Lorraine
http://s55.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3JZ80ZKPIUQ0D3CI45RNI23UPY

Oh yeah, and some folks were asking about your guitars you had with you. So what's the story with those, if you don't mind sharing it with us.

well. those telecasters (i have four) are fender 'specials'. they were made in the 80's in japan. kind of a heavy metal tele thing. they had locked tuning, two humbucker pickups (very un-tele. kind of hard rock modern pick up if you will), and a whammy bar. i have gradually modified the guitar ovber the years, and whatever change i do, i do to all four teles. a few years ago a very well known and respected guitar repair guy in L.A. who goes by the name Toru (he is from japan) did the latest mods. i wanted them to sound more vintage, and so i asked Toru if we could dry the wood out somehow (this is how a guitar sounds better with age. the old finish cracks, and moisture is released gradually causing the guitar to become lighter and more resonant. modern guitars don't do thus cuz the finishes are different chemicals, and they don't crack, therefore they don't get resonant. this is one reason why some players like old guitars). So Toru says that he's got a friend back in japan who smokes the guitars to dry them out. so Toru stripped the paint off my teles, took them to japan, smoked them for three days (they smelled like bbq for months), put old style tuning pegs on them, kept the whammy bridge, ut cuz i like to scrape my pick on the old style bridge pieces, cut on of those in half just for this purpose, took out one of the pick ups, put a vintage style single coil pick up closest to the bridge, and i think at one point i had already removed the tone knobs on all the guitars. those are my modded out fender teles. Toru had kidded with me that a logo--which i had suggested---should simply be a red circle a la the japanese flag. i should do that. they don't sound or feel exaclty like a vintage telecaster, but they're pretty close. plus you can whammy around on em!

fb
Go to Top of Page

tobafett
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1713 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  22:09:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to say thanks for dropping by...it's awesome to hear from you!
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  22:11:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, I can highly recommend the iPod Nano, the little, new one.
Very handy. You can even program a song selection for the kiddies, so they can keep quiet in the backseat while you and mom talk up in the front.

P.S. I, um, may have named my iPod Nano "Frank" on my Mac hard drive.

Swimming in the heavy water, buried in the sand
Happy hearts fall from my shaking hands

Edited by - kathryn on 10/17/2005 22:12:11
Go to Top of Page

tobafett
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1713 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  22:15:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How's it feel to have had your music played on Mars?
Go to Top of Page

darkoutsider
= Cult of Ray =

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  22:40:37  Show Profile  Visit darkoutsider's Homepage  Click to see darkoutsider's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There's something I wanted to say that I've been meaning to say for a while now, since the release of Honeycomb, and it's directed to Frank Black himself. Prior to the release of Honeycomb, I was going thru the toughest times of my life, a failed relationship. It was a horrible experience: mind games, attempted suicide, I became bulimic, the works. What I'm trying to get at is when Honeycomb finally came out I bought, like everyone on this forum did. But, unlike the majority of the people here, your songs on that album really helped me manage thru that tough time.

The track in particular was "Strange Goodbye." I had that song on loop for weeks. I still cry when ever I listen to it, I even sang it to my ex and she cried. She then became a psycho bitch and tried to ruin my new relationship with a girl that I'm actually marrying. I felt like I had an allie and I just wanted to thank you. Thanks Frank for helping, I'm sure you didn't know you did but you did. If I could thank you in person I would, but I can't. Seeing how this is the closest I'll ever get I'm saying it now. Sorry for the rant, but I just needed to get it out there. Honeycomb is by far one of your best Frank. Show Me Your Tears also helped. Okay I need to stop it's getting to long. Sorry.

~*I just want attention.*~

Edited by - darkoutsider on 10/17/2005 22:46:50
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  00:55:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those answers make great reading. Thanks, Frank!

So does the famous 'Black Francis white tele' live on, in another form?

Edited by - Ziggy on 10/18/2005 05:45:55
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  01:07:14  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How about your acoustic of choice Frank? (please excuse my ignorance). I can only afford a cheap one, but I couple of guys I know have extremely nice guitars. One's a '68 Martin and the sound is just phenomenal. What do you play, and do you have a preference acoustic vs. electric?

I have joined the Cult Of Frank/And I have dearly paid
Go to Top of Page

HeywoodJablome
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  01:23:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice to know you like to get yer whammy on Frank!
Go to Top of Page

Doog
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1220 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  01:36:09  Show Profile  Visit Doog's Homepage  Click to see Doog's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey Frank, did your original Pixies-era white Tele get stolen with all that other gear a while back?

"Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, morecambe and wise"
www.myspace.com/doog - www.doog.tk
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  02:38:31  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
(note: about the stolen gear, did you know Sonic Youth recently recovered ALL their gear that was stolen something like 5 years ago? The gear hadn't been sold. There's hope!)

Denis

"You know what? You know what? You know what? Shut the fuck up!"
Go to Top of Page

lonely persuader
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
488 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  03:42:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can bet frank is not losing sleep over a bunch of guitars and stuff that can be replaced... eh, mildly annoying but its only stuff (he can still play a great song on a banged out piece of crap guitar, man)... Also, just gotta say that vicar street 2003 touring with catholics for show me your tears was the best gig i have ever seen!!!!!!! better than the reunion pixies gigs which were amazing too.... something in the air that night...
Go to Top of Page

BrendanT
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
907 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  06:27:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank,

I heard an old Blues song on the radio the other day and I also heard the story about the artist but not the artists name and am wondering if you can help.
He was/is an older musician in Nashville that would play on the street for a living until an RCA employee decided that they should record his music. Anyways, the record company wanted to try and preserve the sound of the street on the recoring so they added the sounds of screeching tires and horns and people yelling with the Doppler effect beneath the guitar and vocals. The music was incredible but I don't know his name?

Countercultivating Midnights
This world's a fuckin' stripmall!
Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  06:37:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look at how spoiled we are. Great tele tech by Charles. This place is unreal.
Go to Top of Page

Doog
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1220 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  06:38:45  Show Profile  Visit Doog's Homepage  Click to see Doog's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BrendanT

Frank,

I heard an old Blues song on the radio the other day and I also heard the story about the artist but not the artists name and am wondering if you can help.
He was/is an older musician in Nashville that would play on the street for a living until an RCA employee decided that they should record his music. Anyways, the record company wanted to try and preserve the sound of the street on the recoring so they added the sounds of screeching tires and horns and people yelling with the Doppler effect beneath the guitar and vocals. The music was incredible but I don't know his name?

You've obviously confused Frank Black with Google.

Go to Top of Page

hWolsky
= Cult of Ray =

France
696 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  08:27:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi frnk!

Have you heard "John The Revelator" by Depeche Mode on their latest opus? It pretty rocks.

You're the revelator and just like you I love Violet!
Don't spend too much time in fronta da computa!

Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  12:27:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi Frank,

Did you see Scorsese's Dylan documentary? If so, what did you think of it?

"Fried food, cigarettes, no exercise, chest pain..." (Excerpt from the Angina Monologues)
Go to Top of Page

Doog
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1220 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  13:45:54  Show Profile  Visit Doog's Homepage  Click to see Doog's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey Frank, how much is a return to Prague on the 26th, coming back 28th?

Go to Top of Page

BrendanT
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
907 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  14:38:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If by Google you mean a very intelligent man who has spent more days and nights in Nashville than you or I ever will. Then yes, I suppose I have confused him for this thing you call Google.
quote:
Originally posted by Doog

quote:
Originally posted by BrendanT

Frank,

You've obviously confused Frank Black with Google.

Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  15:00:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hWolsky

Hi frnk!

Have you heard "John The Revelator" by Depeche Mode on their latest opus? It pretty rocks.

You're the revelator and just like you I love Violet!
Don't spend too much time in fronta da computa!

Martin Gore has done a weird spin on the traditional folk version with his John The Revelator. Kinda worth a listen.

I was alone...in my BIG BED

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  18:13:55  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hey charles - favorite beatles track? kinks? beach boys?

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  18:29:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Charles,

I'm a big supporter of your live to two track material. Knowing the take is live, creates this wonderful tension that is lost on tracked stuff. I was considering taking a chance with my next project and recording the whole damn record in one long take. Aside from concert recordings, have you ever heard of this in-studio approach? And also, besides making sure we take our Zoloft, any tips?

I'm a walkin', talkin' Frank Black commercial

Edited by - ScottP on 10/18/2005 18:30:42
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  22:06:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

well. those telecasters (i have four) are fender 'specials'. they were made in the 80's in japan. kind of a heavy metal tele thing. they had locked tuning, two humbucker pickups (very un-tele. kind of hard rock modern pick up if you will), and a whammy bar. i have gradually modified the guitar ovber the years, and whatever change i do, i do to all four teles. a few years ago a very well known and respected guitar repair guy in L.A. who goes by the name Toru (he is from japan) did the latest mods. i wanted them to sound more vintage, and so i asked Toru if we could dry the wood out somehow (this is how a guitar sounds better with age. the old finish cracks, and moisture is released gradually causing the guitar to become lighter and more resonant. modern guitars don't do thus cuz the finishes are different chemicals, and they don't crack, therefore they don't get resonant. this is one reason why some players like old guitars). So Toru says that he's got a friend back in japan who smokes the guitars to dry them out. so Toru stripped the paint off my teles, took them to japan, smoked them for three days (they smelled like bbq for months), put old style tuning pegs on them, kept the whammy bridge, ut cuz i like to scrape my pick on the old style bridge pieces, cut on of those in half just for this purpose, took out one of the pick ups, put a vintage style single coil pick up closest to the bridge, and i think at one point i had already removed the tone knobs on all the guitars. those are my modded out fender teles. Toru had kidded with me that a logo--which i had suggested---should simply be a red circle a la the japanese flag. i should do that. they don't sound or feel exaclty like a vintage telecaster, but they're pretty close. plus you can whammy around on em!

fb

Damn Boss, you're a HardCore Guitar Man

I'm sure you've seen The Duke of Fender's 1957 Fender Double Neck

You know, ya'll's Fenders really make beautiful music together

What songs did Rich join you on during your latest sessions at Jack Clement's
“Cowboy Arms Hotel and Recording Spa”?

Edited by - OldManInaCoffeeCan on 10/18/2005 22:09:18
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  06:05:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The King Holds Court is back in full effect!! Facinating info from FB on the teles!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000