Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

edward897
- FB Fan -

80 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2003 :  17:45:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, next time you're in Florida look me up for the best fried catfish in the state.

Ed
Go to Top of Page

obmeZ
- FB Fan -

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2003 :  03:53:42  Show Profile  Visit obmeZ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ch-chatty Ch-Charles
crap I guess I missed the Q&A boat...huh?
C'mon back again now... Ya-heah!
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  07:45:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TO ALL MY FANS...

There seems to be much concern over the fact that I don't say much during my gigs. I have never in 17 years chatted from the stage. It is not my style. Most of the crowd is there to hear music and could care less about what I might have to say as a citizen. If I made pop music and played to thousands of people a night, maybe my demeanor would be a little different. I play arty rock music on the arty rock music circuit. It has never been my expectation that one should be chatty in this arena. That has never been my experience when I am a patron. And if I don't do an encore it isn't because I'm "in a bad mood". It's because the audience didn't really ask for one. Basically, I, the artist, don't deserve to take an encore if it is not demanded. The oft performed encore is a classic example of theatrical tradition becoming watered-down, dumbed-down, and meaningless. It's a real shame. I am a guitar player. I am not a dancing bear....I am a singer. I am not a dancing bear... I am a guy loading a trailer. I am not a dancing bear... I am a cabaret singer. I am not a dancing bear... Sometimes people think that I am rude when I don't switch into that dancing bear routine. I am not complaining. I adore playing music to the people that support my art. But I am not a fucking dancing bear... I may look like a dancing bear! Sure. I admit it.

FraNK
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  07:48:14  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for clearing that up FB! I always wished you would chat more from the stage...I don't know, it makes things a little more interesting and perhaps personable. I've always enjoyed when bands talk to the audience. To each his own.

"I joined the Cult of Clops / If I were you, I'd sleep with one eye open."
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  07:57:41  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Someone please add "I am not a fucking dancing bear" to the 'Quote' part of the homepage...

Denis

"In the Cult of Frank/You don't even get backstage passes"
Go to Top of Page

gary13th
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
632 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  08:22:37  Show Profile  Visit gary13th's Homepage  Click to see gary13th's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thats fair enough
keep the great music coming !

They are about, dressed to deceive, architect David Vincent
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  08:39:53  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Shit, I thought this was DancingBear.net.

Looks like I wasted my life AGAIN.

Frank, for real, I think you are doing fine. I go to the shows to get to experience a legendary songwriter and his crack fucking band rip a hole in the sky.

I don't go for Beer, Broads, or Buddies.

Please come and play solo at the Radio Cafe if you are ever near Nashville again. Of course I'd like to see the Catholics as well, but you told me once you like to play smaller places possibly for a short run of nights.

This place would be right up your alley. In fact, it is right next to an alley.

Go to Top of Page

Retch
- FB Fan -

Ireland
64 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  08:45:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Frank,
saw a production of the Oliver Goldsmith play " She Stoops to Conquer " quite recently...................the dancing bear didn't say a word..................

Retch.

This ain't no holiday.
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  08:56:42  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"blarg007 via uncrippled and kindly fellow FBNetter":
yeah i saw that stuff about the couple shows in england recently where
people seemed to make note of the lack of 'chattiness', i for one have
not seen a show of yours that was like that.
i think i have seen some reviews of your solo shows where they mentioned that you were talking about a song before playing it or
whatnot and obviously that paints a pretty picture in ones' head of
an intimate moment i suppose.
the reality of you in a band seems to be that it's a lot of work i would think: to play and sing along with the band
-dynamically i might add.
i have thought before when nirvana name came up via articles/reviews of influences (for cobain via pixies
)i recall that he hired the new guitar player on their last LP because it was so much work to play
and sing (i suppose he WAS playing ALL the guitar before the new guitarist came along though).
I just thought it was quite the feat for you to do what you do for
the duration that you do it (doo doo de doo) with that as my only reference.
I'm sure the average fanboy(girl) on this web-thingy would be quite
happy to see a show of yours and not have so much as even a goodnight
as it really does come down to enjoying a one-time event.
i for one irregardless of weither it's a pixies song or a catholics
song enjoy seeing you guys smile or aknowledge the audience when we react to the opening of a song..
in Chicago earlier this year you gave a rather comic look to the audience at the opening and wagged your eybrows up and down (i think it was possibly
a mock menacing grimace)and that made my day as you looked like you were having fun and you set the stage for all of us to do so -and we did!
i would think coming off the flu would slow to a crawl any but the
most minimal stage presence, for that matter we should all remember that everybody has bad days (horrible days?) i for one am a master at the bad day and would care to lock horns with anyone about that.
(new thread: what was your most horrible day? -beautiful day?)
whatever -we luv ya frank,chris,frnk!
-oh and yes there was an encore ...

blarg via uncrippled and kindly fellow FBNetter

Posted on NUFORC's website, heard in the background of a ringing phone:
"there is no mourning for a world that is weeping".
Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  09:23:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey for the record, when I took my friend to see Frank she was impressed by his "all business" attitude. Has anyone ever seen Lou Reed? One of my favorite songwriters of all time, but the guy simply has to realize he's not a stand up comedian. He talks for like half an hour inbetween each song, often stopping a song mid-way to tell a story. Ever listen to "Take No Prisoners"? Man. I like when Frank talks, but it's because he's always funny when he does, and he does it in little short snippets that always leave you wanting more. When he doesn't say anything, c'mon, that's kinda punk right? Eez respectable.
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  09:25:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
>Subject: Please! Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 10:14:49 -0500
>
>The below text I tried to post a few minutes ago in the 'kings court
>thread'
>-damn if the internet guru
>
>Didn't shut us down practically seconds bofore I clicked 'post reply'
>
>-could you PLEASE CUT/PASTE the text into a reply on that page as I am
>just frustrated that it isn't
>
>Being posted now as it seems timely -I put from blarg007 via a fellow
>Fbnetter at the end -thank you so much if you could do this!
apologies for having a post go through someone else.
-that was the second time just as i was about to post that some snafu
garbled the whole process -i appealed and another member came thru
thanks Apl4eris!
as for the content of my post...was it worth the effort?
..well maybe not but i suppose it helped make a horrible day less so...

strangely doo wopped

Edited by - blarg007 on 10/13/2003 09:25:41
Go to Top of Page

steveplymouthuk
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  10:06:46  Show Profile  Visit steveplymouthuk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Look forward to seeing you in Brighton and London Frank!
Go to Top of Page

mark t
- FB Fan -

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  10:35:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yea i met lou reed in 1989 backstage at a festival in belgium while on tour with the pixies we were alone and he was just a regular guy we talked about guitars and the weather to tell you the truth. i think i also met elvis costello and his wife. cuz
Go to Top of Page

titi
- FB Fan -

2 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  11:22:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello frank

je suis français et j'habite à Nantes (c'est pas dans le massif centrale )
Je vais au concert à l'Olympic mais est ce le samedi soir (date sur ce site) ou le lundi soir (date sur mon billet) ???
Parce que ça fait bien dix ans que je t'ai vu à l'élysée montmartre

Keep up the good work
Tang
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  11:50:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it doesn't bother me if Frank doesn't chat during a show.. i'm there to hear the music. but it is always enjoyable when he engages the audience, or tells a story or whatever..

i just find it odd that he says he doesn't like chatting, or isn't good at it, because almose every solo show i've been to (especailly at McCabes Guitar Shop) he's been very funny and talkative. i mean, i've got bootlegs of him talking up a storm..

but hey, to each their own.. that's a much more relaxed atmosphere anyway, then putting on a show for a huge audience.

mijn vriendin kan geen orgasme krijgen
Go to Top of Page

Ana Banana
- FB Fan -

1 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  13:23:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr. Frank Black,
I have a problem. My boyfriend, Thiago, is really,really mad about you. Sometimes I think about the possibility of getting him a serious medicine treatment.
Tomorrow we'll be flying from Brazil to London and we'll run behind you to catch some gigs of the European Tour (starting in Astoria).
A few months ago I saw him trying to hold his tears in front of the computer. I asked him why and he only asked me about the possibility of traveling to Europe on october.
Since then I've been listening to your music every day to get very well prepared, and now I can say he´s not that crazy. He´s a very smart guy.
He was at Reading Festival in 2001 and he can´t forget the way you ended the gig: with the right hand up,"like a god" as he said, joking.
Well, I have to pack my things, I´m late. He always write in here, but he can´t deal with the possibility of writing strict to you. So I did.
Two wishes Mr.:
Mine: Once my dear... let me tell you about Jane.
His: St.Francis, His Kingly Cave and Gouge Away.
I don´t know if you are going to see us, but we certainly will...
See you wednesday!!!
Ana Banana - BRASIL
Go to Top of Page

steveplymouthuk
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  13:50:49  Show Profile  Visit steveplymouthuk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow.. an understanding girlfriend!
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  13:58:05  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hey frank, maybe you're right about that most people don't like artist to be chatty
I do actually
But I was at this Guided By Voices concert, (and if you know Robert Pollard people you know what I'm saying), and Robert Pollard had chat bits of 4 minutes between songs. Most of the crowd started yelling things like ''Get on with it Bob'' and ''Play!'' and the dumb people ''Spelen!'' (like Robert Pollard will understand that one)

So maybe you are right

''it's not a box, it's a submarine''
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  14:06:28  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ohh and frank,

what about those two covers for Cult of Ray? There's a thread about it in this section, maybe you can reply there...maybe....if you ever read this......boo-hoo.....

Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  14:20:35  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
heh - Frank isn't Robyn Hitchcock. Good stand on the encore as well - i *hate* how it's expected, it really does diminish it. For most bands, it's just a brief 'break'..sad.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  14:24:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you want to talk chatty, go to a Flaming Lips show sometime..

not so much this last tour, but when i saw them for Soft Bulletin, Wayne Coyne would not shut the fuck up. people (myself included) started yelling "JUST PLAY!!!"

mijn vriendin kan geen orgasme krijgen
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  15:49:15  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I like it when musicians talk to the audience. At some shows, I think that's a large part of the fun, but it really depends on the artist, I guess. It's fair if they don't want to, but I've never understood the "SHUT UP AND PLAY!" attitude that some audience members seem to have. Maybe it's because I've never seen Lou Reed, GBV, the Flaming Lips, or some of the other bands mentioned here as big talkers, but I think the talking can sometimes be as interesting as the songs.

I'm certainly not criticizing Frank for not talking much, mind you, just saying that I wouldn't mind it if he did.

-Nathan
And how does lemur's skin reflect the sea?
http://vovat.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MikeW
- FB Fan -

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  18:33:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best show I have ever seen with Frank Black/Black Francis was in december of 1990 at the Universal Amphitheater. Francis did not say a word all night and I thought that was excellent. The Pixies must have played 30-33 songs. Sometime in the middle of the set he said "brand new acoustic guitar" and after they did their encore Wave of Mutilation(fast) he said "thanks, see ya later". That was it! It was non stop. Oh yeah and at the Mint in LA in 1999? That was excellent as well, he didnt say much there either. Then one time at the Roxy, I think he had the flu during that show though. Oh and then at Gibsons in Tempe, AZ. Frank played this rockin' version of Sir Rockaby, I have never heard them play it like that since......
Go to Top of Page

frankblacktaper
- FB Fan -

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  19:05:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im with mike, hell the best frank shows i saw were the old pixies gigs with the surf set at the beggining where he didnt even sing there first 6-7 songs (velvety, brick is red, something against you without vocals, ana, cecilia ann)...heck there wasnt even like 2 seconds between songs...And i could care a less about some stories, although frank was cool at a show at the starry plough in berkeley where they showed up about 3 hours late due to his truck blowing up in oregon or something, and he explained that situation in rather humorous terms. Even though he showed up three hours late it was a great show, one of the best ones I ever saw the catholics perform. Do what you want frank, as long as the musics good who cares..I admit autographs do absolutely nothing for me whatsoever
Go to Top of Page

humpy-wheeler
- FB Fan -

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  19:51:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally, one of my favorite things about the "Death to the Pixies" live disc is how your only spoken words are "EdIsDead". Sounds like your saying "ItIsDead" (hmm). + Frank what's your favorite Mr. Show sketch? Mine is the Hunger Strike in season 3.
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  20:50:22  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frnck blck
We don't like pauses between songs. Just a style thing. Good enough for the Ramones.
FraNK

good enough for me too...

Presented In Mind Control/Where Available

Edited by - mun chien andalusia on 10/13/2003 20:51:10
Go to Top of Page

Zsolt G.
- FB Fan -

117 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  21:32:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See my old topic: Encores Suck a Mean Dick
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=309

Glad to see frank agrees.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2003 :  04:59:12  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A new song in the works?

quote:

I am a guitar player.
I am not a dancing bear....
I am a singer.
I am not a dancing bear...
I am a guy loading a trailer.
I am a cabaret singer.

I am not complaining.
But I am not a fucking dancing bear...

I may look like a dancing bear! Sure. I admit it.

FraNK

Thomas
"Our love is rice and beans and horses lard"
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2003 :  06:18:38  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

FraNK

Gee, all these bad words, can somebody please block this guy!

Go to Top of Page

Perhaps
- FB Fan -

133 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2003 :  06:24:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah this is complete bullshit. I think the watered-down encore is growing in the same era of the badgered or disrespected artist.

People sound like complete idiots when they buy something and then complain about it; tickets to concerts form a rule to this, not in any way an exception.

My brother's band plays a pretty decent version of Pray A Little Faster. But I could give a shit how I regard him in his musical endeavors. A guy who wrote and conceived the song should get more respect, indeed. And then, as everyone should know, there are volumes of such songs. All of which - to my mind - will put him in the annals of rock music.

And you want the guy to talk a little more? what do you want to hear; How he likes your town, or has ageda from dinner? Do you just wnat him to confirm your suspicions? Just listen to what the guy IS doing.

Go to Top of Page

MikeW
- FB Fan -

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2003 :  13:21:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, someone asked me to ask you if you have looked up Andrew Ballard since moving up to Portland? Also, out of all of the studios you have ever worked at, which was your favorite?

Edited by - MikeW on 10/14/2003 13:26:40
Go to Top of Page

DrBone
- FB Fan -

98 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2003 :  18:25:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like Frank's banter patterns just fine. He'll talk it up during accoustic shows if he's comfortable or has something to say. Everything I've heard him say at a show has always been a completely genuine and honest thought that he's thought up right on the spot or on the way to the gig or something... Never anything generic or homogenized like your average arena rock star.

I actually enjoy the way that the Catholics and him just take the stage and rock the shit out of it for two hours and then stand behind their guitars like rock and roll conquerors surveying the land that they have just claimed.

Their music is such that it needs no explanation or commentary. Those of us who are touched by it understand.

-Dr. Bone

Edited by - DrBone on 10/14/2003 21:24:56
Go to Top of Page

Scarla O
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
947 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  01:45:14  Show Profile  Visit Scarla O's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas

A new song in the works?

quote:

I am a guitar player.
I am not a dancing bear....
I am a singer.
I am a guy loading a trailer.
I am a cabaret singer.

I am not complaining.

I may look like a dancing bear! Sure. I admit it.

FraNK

Thomas
"Our love is rice and beans and horses lard"

I like it...i think it would be an Iggy-style song.
Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  01:59:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Frank,

The Edinburgh gig was great! I think you should relocate here with the band, you could become Edinburgh's resident house band.

One question though, why did you decide to make the UK Nadine release a limited edition of c 1000 copies?

No man is an island, unless he is in the bath
Go to Top of Page

MiscellaneousFiles
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
95 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  05:46:11  Show Profile  Visit MiscellaneousFiles's Homepage  Click to see MiscellaneousFiles's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would just like to thank Frank for churning out such great music. After the Britpop boom of the mid 90s, I'd kind of given up on going to gigs, and buying a lot of new CDs. But since getting into FB and the Cs, I've really started to appreciate music again.

I've even started a band and we've recorded an album of our own http://www.anthonypaynter.com/hollister. So thank-you to Frank who has been nothing short of an inspiration.

Oh and I had a question...

Can you recommend any music for me to listen to?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000