Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 Which 2.0 Song Had the Greatest Potential?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2940 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2018 :  01:30:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which 2.0 song had the greatest potential and fell short?

I would say Silver Snail.

When I heard the solo live recording I thought that it was going to be some really sick Frank Black outer space thing kind of like Parry the Wind High, Low.

I'm not saying it's a total failure. But I do have to admit that I try to like it a lot more than I actually like it.

A second choice would be Indy Cindie. Again, the solo live is cool, but the actual song is not as great as I hoped.

Third would be Baal's Back. Man, I just think this should be so much more than it is on the album. It's more like Grandma's Back, and not in a Grandma Dynamite kind of way.

Thoughts?

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2940 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2018 :  01:36:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And please, please, please may I never add O Little Cloud to this list. That would be a tragedy if it falls short.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1219 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2018 :  02:15:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grandma's Back, that's very funny. I think I like it more than you but I know what your getting at.

Edited by - Sprite on 02/11/2018 02:17:06
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

953 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2018 :  05:46:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha yeah I'm still a big fan of the studio version but hearing BF scream Baals live was something else.

Most of those songs are a little limp compared to live versions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o1IlmWjXow Masher

Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

953 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2018 :  05:58:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, the studio version of Magdelena is fine but I wished it was more like the versions they did with Shattuck, especially the ohhhhhs during the chorus.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2940 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2018 :  06:46:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe I picked the songs I picked because I heard demos / live versions first?

For instance I'm also thinking Andro Queen could have been even better. But I love Andro Queen.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2940 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2018 :  06:47:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone else agree about Silver Snail? I feel like it could have been so different; creepier, funkier, catchier.

I wish David Bowie could do a cover of it.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

953 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2018 :  07:49:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the solo version is OK while the studio version is just shite. It's just a poor song. Pardon the pun but it's too sluggish.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1866 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  01:12:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, about Masher, the solo version had greater potential than the steroïds-fueled HC version with those strange volume shifts during choruses. Good song, sounds OK, but I was hoping for something else.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  07:47:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I agree with Silver Snail. Greens and Blues needed to be somewhat faster than the studio version. The live intro to Magdalena would have been cool to hear properly recorded and lends weight to the idea the band should have given some tracks a longer gestation period and perhaps tried them out live (as a band) first, even though I guess that would have ruined the surprise (for most). The music video intro to Blue Eyed Hexe is neat, though that's probably something the video creator made, the album needed some weirder moments like that. Another Toe in the Ocean, Andro Queen and Jamie Bravo are all far too slick for my tastes and Ring the Bell is beyond saving.

In terms of Head Carrier I'd say Classic Masher, as it felt special when Frank initially played it live and I really don't like the studio intro. Baal's Back also. Not sure what on earth happened there.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1866 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  00:07:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jake3
In terms of Head Carrier I'd say Classic Masher, as it felt special when Frank initially played it live and I really don't like the studio intro. Baal's Back also. Not sure what on earth happened there.

An abomination.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2940 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  05:12:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Classic Masher is cool enough. It’s probably unfair to say it didn’t live up to its potential just because there were a lot of people Super hyped on it.

I really think with Silver Snail somebody should have spoke up and said “Hey, this just didn’t come out right, let’s completley overhaul it.”
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2940 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  05:16:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also,
Re: Baal’s Back; the only explanation that makes sense to me is that Black was trying to create an anti-type of experience, where it’s like a potentially savage song is repressed / stifled in order to create some kind of effect.

In one way, Baal’s Back is kind of like Dougie Jones from Twin Peaks. You know there is something way cooler inside, but the director is not giving you what you want / expect.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

953 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  14:01:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still enjoy Baal's Back. It's the bastard child of mcluskey and Pixies and that's a good thing.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1092 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  21:52:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i love baal's back.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1866 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2018 :  03:26:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great song onstage. HC version sucks.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2940 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2018 :  04:06:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re: Baal’s Back, I “like” it too, but that isn’t the question here, as much as, “Did it live up to its potential?” I think even if you like it you admit that the studio version could be better.

I like Silver Snail too, but it’s my #1 pick for missed potential.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2940 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2018 :  18:52:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This live version of silver snail is ill. Not too much diff than studio, but love the Frank of it all

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=91a84KoaYds

Edited by - Bedbug on 02/16/2018 18:53:00
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2940 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2018 :  18:53:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With Shattuck!
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2940 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2018 :  11:07:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After kicking this topic around in my head for a while...

I am still sticking with Silver Snail.

A great concept and good song that could have been really, really good.

If they mess up O Little Cloud then that will take the top spot in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1219 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2018 :  12:09:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good question, definitely got me thinking. I am going to go for Classic Masher as the melody is brilliant but I find the track almost unlistenable because of the production but also it feels a bit stilted in the execution up until the point it speeds up.

Edited by - Sprite on 10/30/2018 23:01:47
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2018 :  12:51:37  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I kind of agree Sprite. The solo versions of Classic Masher Charles played in 2013 were really promising.... had a much better vibe/almost somber quality to it. I like the Head Carrier version (although I agree the first bit drags until Dave comes in with the full beat)... but all in all I liked the original solo version better.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2018 :  22:27:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Solo versions of Andro Queen, Greens and Blues, Silver Snail, Indie Cindy... were marvellous, weird, deep, lo-fi, moving
Production made them too slick, slow, predictable.

Bagboy is the real achievement on IC, always better than live versions it seems (except maybe vocally on the outro)
Oona is the gem on HC

Hope they nail Please Don't Go

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"

Edited by - sdon on 10/30/2018 22:28:47
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  00:09:46  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I actually prefer what Bagboy turned into in later live versions, after Paz had joined.... BF's vocals became more unhinged and screamy/yelpy. It seemed to flow better too in my opinion, with longer bluesy-esque intros with just the drums and Paz's foot organ....
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  01:10:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yarbles

I actually prefer what Bagboy turned into in later live versions, after Paz had joined.... BF's vocals became more unhinged and screamy/yelpy. It seemed to flow better too in my opinion, with longer bluesy-esque intros with just the drums and Paz's foot organ....

meh
extended intro always sounded filler to me

Studio version has a nice balance / length, and an almost albinesque sound

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2940 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  01:50:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boy, Bagboy is a mixed bag isn’t it?

Opinions
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  09:43:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still absolutely baffled by Bagboy. I can't even formulate an opinion because that song just confuses me

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2940 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  10:03:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes absolutely, that’s what I mean and how I feel:

I like and dislike Bagboy at the same time. A very challenging experience in good and bad ways.

If all of 2.0 could have been that way it would have really been something

Edited by - Bedbug on 10/31/2018 10:04:09
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  11:23:00  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think Indie Cindy feels more like a Pixies album exactly because it's so confusing and exciting and unpredictable...Headcarrier has some solid pop songs but Indie Cindy is a freak.

I think Greens and Blues is really ruined by the overcompression and all that stuff. That acoustic intro should be quiet and then your face should melt when the whole band kicks in. Instead they are the same volume as one acoustic guitar.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2940 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2018 :  04:46:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

I think Indie Cindy feels more like a Pixies album exactly because it's so confusing and exciting and unpredictable...Headcarrier has some solid pop songs but Indie Cindy is a freak.

I think Greens and Blues is really ruined by the overcompression and all that stuff. That acoustic intro should be quiet and then your face should melt when the whole band kicks in. Instead they are the same volume as one acoustic guitar.

Agreed that IC is freakish, but that's not always a good thing.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2018 :  07:50:00  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the album a lot more than Head Carrier, I was really surprised by the general consensus here (and in like every review) that Head Carrier was some sort of return to form or back to basics Pixies album. Not just surprised, totally baffled. I don't hear it as that at all. Aside from maybe 2 or 3 songs I don't like, Indie to me feels like a crazy weird classic kind of Pixies album.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1866 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2018 :  09:51:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdon
Oona is the gem on HC

Oona is marvelous.

And What Goes Boom gets me every time. This song could easily fit on Trompe. That’s the kind of sound I’m missing the most on HC (and supposedly on the next one).

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2940 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2018 :  11:51:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can admit that What Goes Boom has grown on me, as has a lot of IC.

HC on the other hand is trending down. Even my once beloved Tenement Song hardly gets a listen any more.

Strange days.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1866 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2018 :  04:51:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

I bet Another Toe is on your daily playlist !

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 11/08/2018 04:51:42
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2940 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2018 :  07:18:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

I bet Another Toe is on your daily playlist !

___
"Service Unavailable"

I was never really a toe hater. I would gladly listen to it today! But no, it does not even remotely resemble the band called "The Pixies." Sounds more like a mid 90s alternative one hit wonder band that you hear at the mall.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1866 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2018 :  10:04:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds very Pixies to my ears, but whatever ! I guess we all hear different things.
Same opinion on Jaime Bravo then ? I love this song. Chord progressions, great Santiago score, the whole bullfighting imagery and, intriguingly enough, never performed onstage

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000