Page: of 9

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  08:09:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

Switching to Snakes from Bagboy. Though the 'cover your breath polish your teeth' part of Bagboy nearly drives me insane

Most of it have been (thankfully) edited out on the album version.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 11/28/2016 08:13:20
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  08:15:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

quote:

Switching to Snakes from Bagboy. Though the 'cover your breath polish your teeth' part of Bagboy nearly drives me insane

___
"Service Unavailable"

Personally I like the "cover your breath," etc stuff in Bagboy. It made me feel like Charles was really going for something different and that we were about to hear a new sound. It was one of the only challenging songs in all of 2.0.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  08:55:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same for Another Toe, then ? That's the most challenging one: everyone hates it !

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 11/28/2016 08:55:55
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  09:12:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Same for Another Toe, then ? That's the most challenging one: everyone hates it !

___
"Service Unavailable"

To me Another Toe is no different than Greens and Blues or HCYM. He produced something that if it were done by the four lads from Liverpool it would have been a mega-hit.

This whole thread is reminding me how bad IC is as a Pixies album but how it does fine as a solo FB album.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  11:27:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

quote:

___
"Service Unavailable"

To me Another Toe is no different than Greens and Blues or HCYM. He produced something that if it were done by the four lads from Liverpool it would have been a mega-hit.

This whole thread is reminding me how bad IC is as a Pixies album but how it does fine as a solo FB album.

Interesting point, agree to an extent. It (in album form) starts out great until Bagboy hits then the momentum meanders. I wonder if it was a conscientious decision to leave out Masher, Oona etc for Head Carrier.

Maybe Toulon, Cloud, Wolves will be saved over for the next album?
Go to Top of Page

BunsenH
= Cult of Ray =

296 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  16:11:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright - we have a tie. I suggest we just kill both and move along. I didn't vote for either, but I'm not sad to see them go. If you spell the whole name of the song, it'll help me a lot--I use "find" to help me tally. Here're the results:

Snakes (5)
Blue Eyed Hexe (5)
Ring the Bell (2)
Bagboy (2)
Silver Snail (2)
Talent (1)
Jaime Bravo (1)
Indie Cindy (1)
Baal’s Back (1)
Women of War (1)

For the next round, I'm again voting for "Talent". I try to skip it before it even comes on.

Go to Top of Page

Ecto
- FB Fan -

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  16:42:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Silver Snail
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  17:25:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Baal's Back

Go ahead and listen right now to how bad it sounds

Even if live versions sound better the studio version is a complete failure
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  20:29:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ring The Bell
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  22:01:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bagboy
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  22:21:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Silver Snail.

I like the chord progression, but the song bores me somehow.

Hard for me to decide which songs I would "trash". I wouldn't trash any Pixies song even on Indie Cindy. But I could easily skip Snakes & Silver Snail. I don't know. Maybe I have a problem with reptiles and gasteropods.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Don Eduardo
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
403 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  23:06:17  Show Profile  Click to see Don Eduardo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ring The Bell
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  23:51:58  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

What does that mean? I can't think of any FB solo record that is as bad as Indie Cindy.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  23:54:41  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Round 3: Indie Cindy. This song puts the cock in cocktail, man. And not in a good way.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1995 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  23:59:57  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bagboy
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2016 :  00:48:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

quote:

What does that mean? I can't think of any FB solo record that is as bad as Indie Cindy.

Denis

What it means is that whatever ranking you gave to "Frank Black Honeycomb" (let's say you gave it 3/5, I have no idea if you like it or not) you would have given it a lower score (say 1/5) if it were called "The Pixies Honeycomb."

Because IC says "The Pixies" on the cover you automatically connect it back to the five 1.0 albums in a way that you didn't connect NSE or FMRM.

IC sucks as much because of what it isn't rather than what it is. FB singing Another Toe is not as bad as The Pixies singing Kiss My Ring.

I will grant you that I'm not even taking into consideration the production / compression issues of IC, which to me seem the worst of any album Charles has ever done.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2016 :  02:20:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sad about losing Snakes but there you go.
Round 3. Back to Bagboy
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2016 :  03:28:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ring the Bell!!
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2016 :  10:11:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

___
"Service Unavailable"

Personally I like the "cover your breath," etc stuff in Bagboy. It made me feel like Charles was really going for something different and that we were about to hear a new sound. It was one of the only challenging songs in all of 2.0.

Same for me
I agree
I prefer the original Bagboy (as in the video) to the album version

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2016 :  10:13:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ring The Bell

--
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2016 :  12:54:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Denis

What it means is that whatever ranking you gave to "Frank Black Honeycomb" (let's say you gave it 3/5, I have no idea if you like it or not) you would have given it a lower score (say 1/5) if it were called "The Pixies Honeycomb."

Because IC says "The Pixies" on the cover you automatically connect it back to the five 1.0 albums in a way that you didn't connect NSE or FMRM.

IC sucks as much because of what it isn't rather than what it is. FB singing Another Toe is not as bad as The Pixies singing Kiss My Ring.

I will grant you that I'm not even taking into consideration the production / compression issues of IC, which to me seem the worst of any album Charles has ever done.

Almost all music gets judged on what it isn't as opposed to what it is. When that mind frame is adopted, it just isn't healthy - for any art form.

No dig at anyone but who gives a fuck if it's called pixies, black francis, frank black or Charlie Brown. The same person composed, wrote, sings and plays guitar.

Do Robert Galbraith and Richard Bachman suffer the same fate of being judged by their more famous names.

Bah I'll stand down from my soapbox but art is art - you don't look at a painting and judge it for what it isn't.

FYI - voting Bagboy.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2016 :  15:11:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Denis

Almost all music gets judged on what it isn't as opposed to what it is. When that mind frame is adopted, it just isn't healthy - for any art form.

No dig at anyone but who gives a fuck if it's called pixies, black francis, frank black or Charlie Brown. The same person composed, wrote, sings and plays guitar.

Do Robert Galbraith and Richard Bachman suffer the same fate of being judged by their more famous names.

Bah I'll stand down from my soapbox but art is art - you don't look at a painting and judge it for what it isn't.

FYI - voting Bagboy.

It's on this basis that I say that TOTY is the best Pixies album of all time.

On what basis could you disagree? The same guy(s) plays on these albums.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2016 :  07:46:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Silver Snail. BF adopts that horrible singing voice that also part of the reason why Snakes was so crap. Some nice imagery in the lyrics but the song is just (pun totally intended) sluggish.

Also, regardless of the weird voice editing, Baal's Back is still one of the best things Pixies volume 2 have done. Not the first time he's masked his scream - see Planet of Sound. Even with the scream toned down it's still a catchy as heck song. And what I consider to be some of his best lyrics since Svn Fngrs. A lot of bite and anger.
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2016 :  12:00:48  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Agree, Silver Snail. It's fine but sluggish and plodding. I feel like what was being played with here was pulled off much better elsewhere on the album, namely on Andro Queen.
Go to Top of Page

Fitzy
- FB Fan -

Portugal
86 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2016 :  14:47:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going with Greens and Blues. It's not horrible or anything, it's just one of the safest songs FBF has ever written. I never quite understood the love for 'Monkey Gone to Heaven', but at least that one has those brilliant lyrics.
Greens and Blues just has too little to offer, it's a pleasant listen, but saying a Pixies song is "pleasant" kind of sounds wrong. G&B manages to surpass Ring the Bell for it's pillow-y feel. Also, the slow tempo doesn't help.

I really like Silver Snail, for some reason, love the lyrics and all the imagery. The chord changes are also kind of cool. Not sluggish, maybe sullen?, which is something they don't normally go for.

Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2016 :  19:54:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^^ great analysis Fitzy
I find G&B weak, but still a bit better than Ring The Bell
Silver Snail is sullen, exactly. If shorter, that would have been a great track

--
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2016 :  03:24:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with Fitzy. Prefer Ring the Bell to G&B. Don't like the bass drum pattern on G&B, always makes me feel the song is getting pulled back/slowed down. Of course I would never have heard the bass drum beats on the original albums because they were either on tape or vinyl and played on cheap stereos.

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2016 :  03:48:00  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Where's Bam Thwok?

I recently relisted to that by accident actually. First song I ever bought on iTunes. In retrospect after 10 years or so I thought it sounded alright. If they'd battered out an album then instead of waiting ten years it might have been really good.

Head Carrier was better than Indy Cindy, but if I'm honest it does start to wear after a number of listens. Keep hearing Classic Masher on Radio 6, the new single and it just bores now.
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2016 :  11:17:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Silver Snail

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

BunsenH
= Cult of Ray =

296 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2016 :  03:13:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Where's Bam Thwok?

I recently relisted to that by accident actually. First song I ever bought on iTunes. In retrospect after 10 years or so I thought it sounded alright. If they'd battered out an album then instead of waiting ten years it might have been really good.

Head Carrier was better than Indy Cindy, but if I'm honest it does start to wear after a number of listens. Keep hearing Classic Masher on Radio 6, the new single and it just bores now.

I guess I really associate "Bam Thwok" and "Ain't That Pretty At All" with Pixies 1.0.
Go to Top of Page

BunsenH
= Cult of Ray =

296 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2016 :  04:13:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Denis

FYI - voting Bagboy.

Stevio, just want to add that I agree with much of what you're saying. Their are many non-Pixies FB projects that produced great stuff, that many people judge unfairly.

With that being said, the beauty of this survivor "game" is that the songs can only be judged against each other.

Will kill another track tomorrow. Get your down-vote in!
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2016 :  05:56:17  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BunsenH
I guess I really associate "Bam Thwok" and "Ain't That Pretty At All" with Pixies 1.0.

Let's say Pixies 1.5 for the sake or argument
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2016 :  05:58:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ring The Bell
Go to Top of Page

BunsenH
= Cult of Ray =

296 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2016 :  06:03:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:
Originally posted by BunsenH

Let's say Pixies 1.5 for the sake or argument

I can live with that
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2016 :  06:05:43  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's settled then.

Bam thwok is the transition song.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000