Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 22

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2016 :  12:22:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FWIW, I feel strongly that the extended length between the announcement of HEAD CARRIER and its actual release has everything to do with the decision to use the PledgeMusic business model and platform to finance/facilitate the manufacture of the limited edition versions of the album.

This is about the long time needed for production and packaging of physical copies of the record, as well as maximizing the number of pre-orders, and thus minimizing the kind of cost overruns that can occur through overestimating demand for the tangible product versus demand for digital downloads and streaming.

~ L.F.

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder

Edited by - peter radiator on 08/31/2016 07:39:06
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2016 :  00:25:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good point Pete Rad.

With the Catholics albums atleast you knew it wouldn't be too long for the next album, DITS, BLD, DW, SMYT were all released inside what 3-4 years? Not including SSMVGD.

And they usually leaked in advance.

I can handle the wait but my main concern is that at 34 minutes I'm going to be left wanting more!

Not a bad thing, like their other short and sweet classics. But for that reason I've purposefully not listened to any new live songs and only listsened to the new singles a handful of times.

I burned out on the EP's last time, there's nothing like putting an album on for the first time so I am planning where, when and what platform my first listen will be.

Also deciding whether to be drunk or sober haha!
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2016 :  01:13:44  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://soundblab.com/news/15923-cassette-store-day-announces-first-wave-of-releases-inc-pixies-courtney-barnett-gonjasufi Cassette Store Day 2016 info.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2016 :  06:25:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yarbles

Is it just me or do you guys feel like in this digital age of getting everything instantly, consuming it immediately, and in most cases moving on to the next thing just as quickly, that announcing an album 3 months before it's actually released kinda hurts the hype/excitement/build up for the album?

I'm a huge fan of course, and am excited there's a new album a month away, but this wait from the announcement two months ago has really been dragging. Almost to the point that I'm losing excitement for the album.

And that really bothers me. My excitement for a new Pixies record should be turned up to 11 nonstop right now, but it isn't. Maybe I'm just getting old and less interested in most things.

It's been a gradual process but I think the digital age has eroded peoples' patience. Look at youtube and vines. Can you get any shorter and still have some type of content than a Vine?

Patience and boredom have their place and serve a healthy purpose.

Back to the album, I'd prefer nothing followed by a simultaneous announcement and release of the new record because I think it's neat to be surprised.

Hype or no, I can wait, though.

cheers

Go to Top of Page

dogsofgreatindifference
- FB Fan -

1 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2016 :  06:21:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would also love to hear those demos, if you're still offering to share above! -- larryandersonisgreat@gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2016 :  11:16:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think no one got them except the first guy.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

The New Bolero
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2016 :  17:23:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tenement Song just hit ITunes. It's very, very good. Sounds like a Neil Young song. I like both 'Chagga' and 'Talent' but this one is easily the most relaxed and most effortless sounding. And it's got the loud-quiet-loud thing the kids love.
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2016 :  17:34:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The New Bolero

Tenement Song just hit ITunes. It's very, very good. Sounds like a Neil Young song. I like both 'Chagga' and 'Talent' but this one is easily the most relaxed and most effortless sounding. And it's got the loud-quiet-loud thing the kids love.

remember a FB&C song, or just me?
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2016 :  18:14:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice melody. Almost too short now lol.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2016 :  19:05:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like this song. Adds a nice change in tempo too from the other songs on the album so far.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2016 :  20:15:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tenement Song is a nice change for me from the disappointment of Talent

It's easy to sing, has a consistent mood, more air to breathe, and sounds rather classic rock (if not classic Pixies)

However, the chorus still sounds too much FM, and Paz's backing vocals are unimaginative during the verse.

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"

Edited by - sdon on 09/04/2016 20:18:34
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2016 :  22:05:14  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There's an official music video for it too it seems.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SLgXBLQA2M

I instantly love the sound of this song. This is going to be a very interesting album :)
Go to Top of Page

cptnpasty
- FB Fan -

Spain
151 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2016 :  23:56:01  Show Profile  Visit cptnpasty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great new tune. I consider myself lucky that I dont seem to worry about any particular Pixies sound or legacy or any of that nonsense. There never was a concept less rock'n'roll than 'legacy'. Just bang it out. I am grateful that c thompson still writes and releases and enjoying the Pixies treatment immensely.

Whatever happened to the Um Chagga Lagga video, do you think?

www.alotofwind.com

Edited by - cptnpasty on 09/05/2016 00:01:26
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2016 :  00:09:12  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The new tracks released from Head Carrier are growing exponentially more disappointing for me. I find Tenement Song somewhat lacklustre, and the video is just a collage of stuff, very normal. I don't really like cartoon videos as a general rule, and this new video just detracts from the song, which isn't even that good in the first place. I'd prefer if they just released a simple, lo-fi video kind of thing, eg. Velouria. It costs nothing to make a good indie video, but high budget videos can often ruin an otherwise good song.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2016 :  00:46:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Nice melody. Almost too short now lol.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Yeah, it's over before you know it. I dig it, just sounds pleasing to my ears. More Paz vocals is a positive thing. This song is way closer to Indie Cindy than the other 2 songs, that mid tempo more pop sound, but that's ok. Really good timing on the release too, I was getting antsy.

Edited by - natenate101 on 09/05/2016 01:00:13
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2016 :  01:10:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess they want to help new artists with those videos. It's a good gesture IMO. I think the band don't really care about it anyway. They probably juste give their approval and that's about it. I don't think they are involved that much with the contents.

I think the ones who disliked Another Toe won't like Tenement Song.

BTW, what are your feelings about Joey parts on those 3 new songs ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2016 :  01:29:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

I guess they want to help new artists with those videos. It's a good gesture IMO. I think the band don't really care about it anyway. They probably juste give their approval and that's about it. I don't think they are involved that much with the contents.

I think the ones who disliked Another Toe won't like Tenement Song.

BTW, what are your feelings about Joey parts on those 3 new songs ?

___
"Service Unavailable"

It is reminiscent of Another Toe, and a little bit of Snakes + Silver Snail. But I can already say I prefer it to those because of Paz and the guitars. Plus, just sounds like a more well-rounded track and the pop in the chorus isn't as grating to me as Another Toe was. It's certainly a more MOR track for the Pixies but BF's voice sounds great on it.

Just listened to Talent again after Tenement, sounds like a punch in the face vs the later. The structure of the album may be important when digesting these songs, as I can see these playing well off each other for a change of pace either way you arrange them.

Joey's solos haven't been very impressive on these songs, but his fairly subtle work during the verses are stellar. The sounds kinda creep up on you here and there.
Go to Top of Page

McDutchie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
267 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2016 :  03:37:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First impression: Tenement Song does sound to me like they're trying hard to get a radio hit. It's kinda nice, though.

Fifteen listens later: I think it's vastly better than Another Toe. Toe is toe-curlingly generic rock, but Tenement is at least recognisably Pixies. And Paz really enhances it. An easy but pleasant listen. 4/5.

(+1 to cptnpasty re "legacy" nonsense.)
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2016 :  03:56:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To me, Tenement >>> Another Toe
it doesn't give me headaches :)

From Um Chagga Lagga, Talent and Tenement Song, I feel some laziness in the writing of the choruses, all being rather redundant. The verses of Chagga and Talent are creative and stimulate me, but the choruses seem to "try too hard"

I found Baal, Masher and Head Carrier quite superior to those other three, more sophisticated lyrically and musically.

Joey's work is rather meh, like a required bended guitar on instrumental bridges.
Seems much more melodic on Masher, Baal and especially Head Carrier.

I fear I may end up considering Talent as a filler on the album (would have hoped for all killer / no filler, tight black rubber)

I like Tenement Song's sound a lot. It's subtle.

--

Edited by - sdon on 09/05/2016 03:57:49
Go to Top of Page

McDutchie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
267 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2016 :  04:52:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"The drumsticks were his treasure trove, found in the ashes of The Coconut Grove", according to official lyrics at HerfitzPR. But I think this should be The Cocoanut Gove (note spelling), as it seems a pretty obvious a reference to the 1942 Cocoanut Grove fire in Boston, the deadliest nightclub disaster in world history. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocoanut_Grove_fire

The official lyrics seem to differ from what they actually sing in a few other ways as well. I've created http://lyrics.wikia.com/wiki/Pixies:Tenement_Song with the lyrics as I hear them.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2016 :  06:10:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

To me, Tenement >>> Another Toe
it doesn't give me headaches :)

Really ? Production-wise, both of them actually gives me headaches. On Tenement, drums are super loud during verses and so muffled during the choruses, it's just getting ridiculous at this point. But, well, whatever. Great song anyway. almost ruined by a terrible production, like all songs since IC . Anyway, best song from HC so far.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 09/05/2016 06:11:50
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2016 :  07:15:11  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, they're doing what I figured they would do but hoped they wouldn't - looks like they are going to trickle out tracks up through the release date. I picket up UCL and Talent, but I'm holding of on anything else they put out. I much prefer hearing a full album the first time together.

My density has popped me to you.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2016 :  08:15:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love The Tenament Song!
My favorite song of HC so far and maybe of Pixies 2.0.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2016 :  08:39:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

Well, they're doing what I figured they would do but hoped they wouldn't - looks like they are going to trickle out tracks up through the release date. I picket up UCL and Talent, but I'm holding of on anything else they put out. I much prefer hearing a full album the first time together.

I'm with you there. Happy to read the feedback but not listening till I get my hands on the album. I know I can make it to Sep 30th now.
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunnyToo
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2016 :  08:59:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not thinking much of Tenement Song... and the compression is brutal in the choruses, just sounds like mush. (Really hate these lazy animated videos, too.)

Gone off Talent a fair bit since I first heard it -- where is the CRACK of the snare drum?! Lost in the mush!

Still hoping the recorded version of Baal's Back delivers the goods, but... suspecting more mush.

So frustrating!

--
James/DruggedBunny[Too]
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2016 :  09:03:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Live versions of the full album in Australia 2017 will be great!

--
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2016 :  09:15:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judging by these releases, I have a bad feeling that I am going to think of this album in terms of a 7 out of 10.
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2016 :  09:38:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DruggedBunnyToo

Gone off Talent a fair bit since I first heard it
--
James/DruggedBunny[Too]

I haven't exactly gone off it but I'm always suspicious of instantly catchy tunes that reel you in on first listen as Talent did for me; like a roman candle they burn brightly at first but by the 5th or 6th listen begin to fizzle out. I don't much like Morrissey but I had that response to his song 'I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris' a few years ago - so catchy, hit me like a steam train the first time I heard it. A few listens later I was bored & didn't care if I never heard it again. Not saying Talent is exactly like that but I've kind of stopped listening to it for the moment at least.

As for Tenement Song - only heard it twice but really like it. Doesn't sound like Pixies to me though. I'm wondering if it would even would register with me if it was by another band.

Sorry, negative post. I'm really looking forward to the album, honest!
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2016 :  09:40:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same for me Champ
Way to dampen excitation... I was really enjoying the sequence this summer with the videos of Um Chagga Lagga, Baal's Back, Head Carrier and Classic Masher.

Interest has somehow faded with Talent. And though Tenement Song is more than decent and even has great moments, I expected to be really more surprised than that.

I'm not sure about the "transitiona"l aspect of Indie Cindy, of which I really love the first half. If this means transitioning to more obvious tunes like Talent and Tenement Song, I may be left hungry for something different.

A bit disappointed to already know 6 of the 12 songs on HC.

--

Edited by - sdon on 09/05/2016 09:43:48
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2016 :  12:27:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Expected Um Chagga to be the first single after the pic they posted of Facebook, this is a nice surprise, though. Only listened to it a couple of times, but it's pretty good and the video's great. Like the log - I mean cat! - lady! I wonder is that some of Black's art in the video?
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2016 :  15:43:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone pre-ordered on Pledge before? Are you likely to get the goods on the release date or sooner? I don't want to pre-order and then be stuck waiting a week for the record because I would inevitably lose my shit and just buy it a second time.
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2016 :  21:21:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not a fan of these new songs :(

Edited by - PixieSteve on 09/05/2016 21:21:27
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2016 :  23:15:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I dunno. It's Indie Cindy only without milking the choruses to death. Which is a plus I guess. I do think it's an alright song, just too glossy. That on and on and on bit is kinda nauseous too.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2016 :  01:30:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Loving these 3 HC songs so far, especially Tenament Song (considering it better than most of Bossanova, which I love).

Talent is also starting to give me a CoR feel, which is a good thing.

I'm glad he's doing what he's doing.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2016 :  01:43:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheScooper

Has anyone pre-ordered on Pledge before? Are you likely to get the goods on the release date or sooner? I don't want to pre-order and then be stuck waiting a week for the record because I would inevitably lose my shit and just buy it a second time.

I pre-ordered the FB&C box set from Pledge and that was well late. But I think that was connected to the fact they had to get a minimum number of pledges to manufacture it. I don't imagine that will be a problem for Head Carrier. My Indie Cindy box arrived two days before the delivery date.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000