-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 Head Carrier
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
587 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2016 :  03:22:34  Show Profile  Click to see Brank_Flack's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Snakes/Ring the Bell/Another Toe would have all been good B-sides. Surprised to see Magdalena mentioned with these songs, I think it's one of the better songs on the record (and I think it was generally regarded as one of the better songs? I think even pitchfork gave it cudos). I agree with Jaime Bravo, it's good song, but it gets dragged down by the ending. Perhaps the ending would have worked better with female harmonies.

Looks like this record is already getting more favourable initial press. Hopefully "All I think about now" (the lyrics of which pitchfork has on its main page today) will help put out some fires and let people move on.
Go to Top of Page

wilson
- FB Fan -

58 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2016 :  03:48:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@natenate101

there's a lot of depth and hidden nuances to the guitar on HC, the beginning especially (opens with 2 seconds of feedback which i'm a sucker for). initially the rhythm guitar tone really bugged me - it sounded like ploddy indie cindy-type garage rock - but it sort of falls into place after a handful of listens and makes sense in the grand scheme of the album (unlike IC, the coherence in tracklist is spot on)

paz has the 'head carrier' spoken parts but there's not really any vocal presence from her on the rest of the track. she's all over the rest of the record though.

bel esprit and tenement song are essential to the record, really good tracks albeit a little slower paced. everything until track 6 flies by, so it's a nice breather. might be repeating myself here but BEL sounds like a top tier catholics song and though TENEMENT has a slightly foo fighters vibe (lol), it builds throughout and has this great solo / outro / release of tension.
Go to Top of Page

wilson
- FB Fan -

58 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2016 :  04:00:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i feel i've been hugely positive about the record - deservedly so - but how about some negativity to weigh it out.

i'm cautious about the amount of publicity all i think about now is receiving as it's not a great song, easily my least favourite on the record. have said it before, i adore paz, but if this is the song people go for when the record drops then i think we'll be in for another bout of post-reunion dismissal.

all the saints is the only song on the record that feels unfinished. it just sort of ends without much impact. it's a beautiful ditty for what it is (honestly sounds like a pixies take on a smiths song), but it could've been much more.

one last thing - i read a recent interview where FB compares the record to doolittle. take that with a pinch of salt. perhaps the mindset during creation, or the way they reflect on it coming together, is similar, but it doesn't sound a thing like it.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2016 :  04:27:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilson

@natenate101

there's a lot of depth and hidden nuances to the guitar on HC, the beginning especially (opens with 2 seconds of feedback which i'm a sucker for). initially the rhythm guitar tone really bugged me - it sounded like ploddy indie cindy-type garage rock - but it sort of falls into place after a handful of listens and makes sense in the grand scheme of the album (unlike IC, the coherence in tracklist is spot on)

paz has the 'head carrier' spoken parts but there's not really any vocal presence from her on the rest of the track. she's all over the rest of the record though.

bel esprit and tenement song are essential to the record, really good tracks albeit a little slower paced. everything until track 6 flies by, so it's a nice breather. might be repeating myself here but BEL sounds like a top tier catholics song and though TENEMENT has a slightly foo fighters vibe (lol), it builds throughout and has this great solo / outro / release of tension.



Damnit Wilson, you had to go and mention Foo Fighters....now I'm worried again. Haha.

Thanks for the feedback. The guitar on HC sounds really interesting in that live version from France. Can much better hear the stuff actually going on.

As for your negatives, they all sound like I expected. The lyrics for Saints seem so simplistic, and I've been concerned about Paz singing lead. We'll see, if it's a big step up from IC I'll be happy.

Edited by - natenate101 on 07/22/2016 04:30:35
Go to Top of Page

rivum
- FB Fan -

Canada
172 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2016 :  04:37:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilson

...honestly sounds like a pixies take on a smiths song....



drool

can't wait
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
587 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2016 :  05:17:58  Show Profile  Click to see Brank_Flack's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Listened to Um Chugga Lugga again, it sounds great.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2016 :  05:22:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

Listened to Um Chugga Lugga again, it sounds great.



It really does.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
= Cult of Ray =

USA
771 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2016 :  05:37:11  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

Listened to Um Chugga Lugga again, it sounds great.



It really does.



I'm starting to consider it a new classic.



My density has popped me to you.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1159 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2016 :  10:20:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@WIlson: I wanna know, does all the record sounds like Chagga ? Is it awfully compressed ? Sorry to bring up this boring compression topic again, but I wanna know.

Does all the record sounds like Chagga ? Production-wise ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
= Cult of Ray =

664 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2016 :  11:37:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

Listened to Um Chugga Lugga again, it sounds great.



It really does.



Completely agree. Listened to it twice today after a 5 day break. One thing that really stands out now is the vocals. They are much much tighter. I remember the first time I heard Bagboy and the way he pronounced 'public hobby writings' just sounded a bit sloppy (and there are other examples like that across IC). But on UCL I don't get that at all. I can imagine the producer shouting 'Again, Tighter, Again TIGHTER, AGAIN, AGAIN...'

Have not watched the Head Carrier, Baals or Classic Masher clips. Want to savour it on the LP. But very excited about the feedback they are getting here.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
= Cult of Ray =

USA
771 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2016 :  04:37:44  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey wilson - is there much of the rappish delivery that Charles has been using more and more lately on the album? Like Subbacultcha / Seus / Bagboy kind of thing?



My density has popped me to you.
Go to Top of Page

wilson
- FB Fan -

58 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2016 :  06:59:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm not massively. Talent a little bit maybe. Excited for everyone to hear that, it's probably the most 'Pixies' sounding track on there. Loads of Joey-isms and it's pretty fast. Saw Joey quote it in a tweet yesterday!
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1159 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2016 :  07:41:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Wilson ! Will you answer my question about compression ? Is it taboo to ask about it ? Does the whole album sound as overcompressed as Um Chagga Lagga ? I like this song, but I have trouble enjoying it because of the way it sounds. I prefer live versions. Is this the case on all the other tracks ?

Thanks ;-)

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2016 :  08:01:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilson

Hmmm not massively. Talent a little bit maybe. Excited for everyone to hear that, it's probably the most 'Pixies' sounding track on there. Loads of Joey-isms and it's pretty fast. Saw Joey quote it in a tweet yesterday!



Saw that quote too, was wondering if anyone of his followers would mention the song. I'm kinda bummed things have gone so quiet since the tour ended. Would love a quality interview with Charles right now to read. Wonder if they are laying low on media stuff until it's closer to the album?

What's BF's Twitter been like lately?

Would love to hear Classic Masher studio version mid-August or somewhere around there. The album still seems so far away.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1159 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2016 :  10:27:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suspect they enjoy being as anticlimatic as possible.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
420 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2016 :  21:46:53  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Wilson, can I have a copy of the album? :) or maybe let me call you and you can just play it over speaker phone? ;)
Go to Top of Page

wilson
- FB Fan -

58 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2016 :  01:15:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@picpic I don't think I could really say, mainly because I'm not such an audiophile. Saying that, I think UCL comes off better as a live track because as it's raw as heck and sounds like it could've been recorded with just the four of them stood around some mics.

The other three tracks, CM especially, are pretty layered so I suspect what you would consider to be over-compression is likely present.

Video will be out soon. BTW this record is released next month!
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
= Cult of Ray =

Belgium
705 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2016 :  03:44:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have pre-ordered that limited edition box set (lp, cd, lyrics and artwork book).
i assume i ordered it early enough for it to include the signed postcard.

bring it on!


it's educational
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2016 :  05:06:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the rhythm guitar on CM electric, like it is live, or acoustic - more like WIMM or any number of other old songs?

Just curious - sorry if this has been covered already

Edited by - TheScooper on 08/02/2016 05:06:19
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
= Cult of Ray =

664 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2016 :  06:01:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilson


Video will be out soon. BTW this record is released next month!



That is taking the definition of a month and stretching it to its literal limit! Still feels ages away. The only thing keeping me going is that my copy of IC arrived two days early.

Edited by - Sprite on 08/15/2016 03:09:49
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
897 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2016 :  12:28:18  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

i have pre-ordered that limited edition box set (lp, cd, lyrics and artwork book).
i assume i ordered it early enough for it to include the signed postcard.

bring it on!


it's educational



you should have gotten an email saying there's nothing more for you to do and the postcard is included

--------
baby poop, curry
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1159 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2016 :  12:38:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilson

@picpic I don't think I could really say, mainly because I'm not such an audiophile. Saying that, I think UCL comes off better as a live track because as it's raw as heck and sounds like it could've been recorded with just the four of them stood around some mics.

The other three tracks, CM especially, are pretty layered so I suspect what you would consider to be over-compression is likely present


I'm not an audiophile either. Not at all. But I suspect this won't be a dynamic-sounding record either. I guess it will sound more or less like a wall of sound, like Chagga.

I listened to Indie Cindy the other day, and compared to Chagga it sounds less compressed (even though we all thought it sounded like shit when it was released). So... I fear the worst.

Only thing that comforts me is when you say you can hear the guitar layers. So I assume the other tracks sound better than Chagga. You can't hear what Joey or Paz are playing on Chagga. If you hear the layers on the other tracks, maybe they sound better. I hope.

Frustrating because Chagga is great and Head Carrier is amazing.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 08/02/2016 12:40:20
Go to Top of Page

wilson
- FB Fan -

58 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2016 :  12:52:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@thescooper good question! no acoustic on classic masher, but yes on the following:

might as well be gone
tenement song
all i think about now
all the saints
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2016 :  13:16:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilson

@thescooper good question! no acoustic on classic masher, but yes on the following:

might as well be gone
tenement song
all i think about now
all the saints



Hmm, not sure how to feel about this info.

Wilson, after further listening do you stand by your earlier assertion that this album is superior to IC? Also, any further thoughts you can share after repeated listening?

One last thing. Indulge me if you have the time, and describe each song on Head Carrier in 5 words or less.....thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
= Cult of Ray =

Belgium
705 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2016 :  22:15:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matto

quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

i have pre-ordered that limited edition box set (lp, cd, lyrics and artwork book).
i assume i ordered it early enough for it to include the signed postcard.

bring it on!


it's educational



you should have gotten an email saying there's nothing more for you to do and the postcard is included

--------
baby poop, curry


it didn't say that there's nothing more for me to do.
quote:
Thank you for your order!
...
YOUR ORDER
LIMITED EDITION BOX SET WITH SIGNED POSTCARD


but when i bought it, it still had the "xx copies left" on pledgemusic, and now, it only says "available". so i assume the "xx copies left" were the ones with the signed postcard.


it's educational
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2016 :  06:51:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

quote:
Originally posted by wilson

@thescooper good question! no acoustic on classic masher, but yes on the following:

might as well be gone
tenement song
all i think about now
all the saints



Hmm, not sure how to feel about this info.

Wilson, after further listening do you stand by your earlier assertion that this album is superior to IC? Also, any further thoughts you can share after repeated listening?

One last thing. Indulge me if you have the time, and describe each song on Head Carrier in 5 words or less.....thanks.



LOL we are a most desperate bunch (he says while eagerly awaiting Wilson's 5 word descriptions)
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2016 :  06:54:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheScooper

quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

quote:
Originally posted by wilson

@thescooper good question! no acoustic on classic masher, but yes on the following:

might as well be gone
tenement song
all i think about now
all the saints



Hmm, not sure how to feel about this info.

Wilson, after further listening do you stand by your earlier assertion that this album is superior to IC? Also, any further thoughts you can share after repeated listening?

One last thing. Indulge me if you have the time, and describe each song on Head Carrier in 5 words or less.....thanks.



LOL we are a most desperate bunch (he says while eagerly awaiting Wilson's 5 word descriptions)



Haha, we really are.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1159 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2016 :  10:27:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now Wilson, be honest: how many private messages asking for the album ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
= Cult of Ray =

998 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2016 :  18:32:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are there songs on this album? What type of binding can one expect? Glue? Stitching? Strategic balancing? In your opinion, are the amount of polycarbonates equivalent to Doolittle or less? Or more?

I know, I understand it's privileged but how about a hint on the number of syllables on this record? Blink a number out. A little slower, please.

how difficult will it be to get the shrink wrapping off the cd (compact disc) without damaging the cover? Or back cover?

In 251 words or less, how does The Heads Carrier stack up to the other Panopoly records? At least as tall as them?
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
= Cult of Ray =

Belgium
705 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2016 :  23:18:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Now Wilson, be honest: how many private messages asking for the album ?


oooh!

how can i send a private message to ask for the album?


it's educational

Edited by - Discoking on 08/03/2016 23:21:41
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
= Cult of Ray =

USA
771 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2016 :  01:16:16  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheScooper

quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

quote:
Originally posted by wilson

@thescooper good question! no acoustic on classic masher, but yes on the following:






One last thing. Indulge me if you have the time, and describe each song on Head Carrier in 5 words or less.....thanks.



LOL we are a most desperate bunch (he says while eagerly awaiting Wilson's 5 word descriptions)



Wilson, if the album were a red wine, please describe it in sommelier terms. Also, if it were a vegetable, which one would it be?





My density has popped me to you.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 08/06/2016 01:18:21
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
= Cult of Ray =

Belgium
705 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2016 :  01:27:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What colour does each song sound like?
Thank you.


it's educational
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1159 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2016 :  08:33:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wilson, we're sorry, come back !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO_MYX_Oto0

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
= Cult of Ray =

Belgium
705 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2016 :  23:16:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hahahaha!


it's educational
Go to Top of Page

daswheels
- FB Fan -

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2016 :  06:38:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone, I am not sure if this was posted already but "Talent" is available to purchase on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Talent/dp/B01HJ42R4Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1471191668&sr=8-3&keywords=Head+Carrier

There is also a limited edition pink vinyl of Head Carrier up for preorder that I had not heard of before: https://www.amazon.com/Head-Carrier-Pink-Vinyl-Pixies/dp/B01IR8TAR0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1471192358&sr=8-2&keywords=Head+Carrier

I don't post much but enjoy coming here for news. Can't wait for the album!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2016 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000