Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 22

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2016 :  12:33:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh and I also kinda like the opening strums and then the riff comes at a slightly wonky cadence. Reminds me of Bone Machine. I say kinda cause both of them unnerve me slightly.
Go to Top of Page

McDutchie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
267 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2016 :  12:50:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
So I walked the marsh at Bouche De Rhone

This is Bouches-du-Rhône ("Mouths of the Rhône"), an area in southern France by the end of the river Rhône. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouches-du-Rh%C3%B4ne

The lyrics at herfitzpr.com get this wrong.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2016 :  13:23:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great remarks Sprite
I also like the distortion on Paz vocals on the sentence "cause that crazy stuff got in my brain"
And the siren sound of course
Not a big fan ot the ending ("roooooaaad"), sounds like 30 unnecessary seconds to me (a comment on soundcloud rightly says "lazy" at that time)

Listening again to the full-band version from 2015 (not the acoustic one, the electric one on youtube), the main differences lie in the BF/Paz vocal interplay, and Joey's stuff.

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"

Edited by - sdon on 07/12/2016 13:24:32
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2016 :  13:31:31  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

[quote]

Two listens a day for 6 days and three things I *really* like

1. The shortened second verse 'C'mon maaan'
2. Paz coming on with 'Um chaggaa lagga on the second bar of the 3rd verse'
3. The way the guitar comes crashing in on the third chorus. A production trick I realise but very effective

I'm pretty sure he's saying "cum on me" - which is one hell of a cool way to intro a shift into a chorus (or bridge or solo or whatever). Could be wrong but I'd bet the farm on it.

My density has popped me to you.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 07/12/2016 13:32:31
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2016 :  13:53:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if some of you still have the Halloween demo of UCL (I do)
BF's guitar sounded so much better. The riff itself was a bit different, and the sound was definitely a crisp Telecaster.
Everything else is better is the new version (I means drums and vocals), but not this guitar

(And the ending was frantic but not cheesy, and not including the last "coming to get me")

--

Edited by - sdon on 07/12/2016 14:01:18
Go to Top of Page

Jamie
- FB Fan -

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2016 :  13:54:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage
Could be wrong but I'd bet the farm on it.

Condolences on losing your farm.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  05:35:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

quote:
Originally posted by picpic
just spent a short time scanning through the album lyrics. Looks like a few angry songs are directly addressed to Kim Deal.

yes!

got this feeling from
3 BAAL’S BACK
4 MIGHT AS WELL BE GONE
5 OONA
9 ALL I THINK ABOUT NOW
11 PLASTER OF PARIS

--

Well, looks like you were right about #9 at least.
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  08:57:30  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is it angry though? Thought Charles said it was an open ended thank-you letter to Kim...
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  09:09:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yarbles

Is it angry though? Thought Charles said it was an open ended thank-you letter to Kim...

Just saying he was right about that one being ABOUT Kim. Lyrics don't indicate an angry song and plus Paz is singing it so it's probably pleasant. Wilson stated it sounded like another popular Pixies song, so maybe Here Comes Your Man or Gigantic?
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  09:14:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope it's not yet another Gigantic
Greens and Blues was already written with that "vibration" in mind, if I remember well what BF said

--
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  09:32:01  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't be surprised if this is intended to replace Gigantic.... Female lead vocals over music that sounds like another Pixies song....
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  10:23:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sure is

--
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  10:34:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cum on me? To me the the 'n' seems pretty clearly enunciated.
Go to Top of Page

wilson
- FB Fan -

59 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  10:46:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cum on men?
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  10:46:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

Great remarks Sprite
I also like the distortion on Paz vocals on the sentence "cause that crazy stuff got in my brain"
And the siren sound of course
Not a big fan ot the ending ("roooooaaad"), sounds like 30 unnecessary seconds to me (a comment on soundcloud rightly says "lazy" at that time)
--

Yep I hear you on those as well. Looks like there are some nice little details manifesting through the track. FB was very enthusiastic in his praise of Tom Dalgety in the 6music interview. I am so looking forward to the next tracks.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  10:47:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilson

cum on men?

C'mon MAN!
Go to Top of Page

wilson
- FB Fan -

59 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  10:49:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh. c'mon me!
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  20:35:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(i'm pasting here the new findings from the live section)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfTvbaPchuY (good quality)
10:35: Head Carrier
28:20: Classic Masher
40:00: Baal's Back

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  21:15:57  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Pretty nice

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  22:02:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like Classic Masher but... I don't know... I think an electric/acoustic arrangement a la Where is My Mind would be a better fit. Maybe I'm too familiar with the acoustic version.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2016 :  03:16:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Baal's back is good and head carrier's guitar work sounds interesting. I don't really care much for classic masher.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2016 :  03:41:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a feeling Headcarrier is a grower. First listen "yeah...not bad". Then a few months later...: "That's the best fucking song in the world".

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2016 :  05:02:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have a feeling Headcarrier is a grower. First listen "yeah...not bad". Then a few months later...: "That's the best fucking song in the world".

Exactly. It's already happening, and I've only listened to it twice. The first time - this is boring. The second - this is awesome. WHO KNOWS WHAT THE THIRD WILL BRING

Sometimes I forget that there is almost no part of FBF's career that I really liked at first listen, but grew to truly love all of it eventually.

Edited by - TheScooper on 07/14/2016 06:21:31
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2016 :  05:52:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same thing happened to me. Second listen of Head Carrier and the song started clicking.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2016 :  13:01:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's last year's superlecker demo of Um Chagga Lagga from BF. It's good
https://mega.nz/#!a91EQYBb!26Pj78IRuiqkA17sHadSdun7-qTAZ3awWWPA3a_Kfkw

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2016 :  07:01:54  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They just played UCL on Radio 6 just now. Having heard it, and then had time to digest it and now hearing it again spuriously I have to say I very much approve of this. It has way more of the old Pixies sound and feel to it than anything on Indy Cindy, and reminds me also a lot of the Bluefinger era, in particular Six Legged Man.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2016 :  09:10:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

in particular Six Legged Man.

hey, absolutely!

--
Go to Top of Page

wilson
- FB Fan -

59 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2016 :  13:54:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

was initially my least favourite, now it's sailing right up there.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2016 :  14:39:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know, I fully believed that Reference Point Zero by Future of the Left was gonna be the best Pixies song of 2016 but then BF goes and writes Baal's Back. Wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kulIQpPLU_E&index=9&list=PLk9lxZrfKe10oyajGUhDWgRyeiZOg-_US
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2016 :  14:40:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

How is Joey's guitar on HC Wilson? And are Paz's backup vocals prominent on the chorus like the live version suggests?

I have been looking at the lyrics and I'm curious whether the 3 songs added later on, Bel Espirit/Tenement Song/All I Think About Now come off as incomplete or half-asses? I ask because there were a few songs off of IC, Jaime Bravo/Ring The Bell that seemed unfinished or lacking some depth, and I believe those were songs done while recording versus ones they'd prepped prior to the Wales session.

Looking at the lyrics, there are a few tracks that one could suggest look very simple, and I'm hoping those don't come off poorly.

Sep 30th seems so freakin far away. And now I'm curious whether they'll go silent after these festivals or if we get more interviews/articles leading up to HC's release?
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2016 :  17:15:12  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

quote:

quote:

Looking at the lyrics, there are a few tracks that one could suggest look very simple, and I'm hoping those don't come off poorly.

Well, many of the best Pixies songs had next to nothing for lyrics content or length wise, it was just certain phrases repeated in different, interesting ways. Maybe the same deal.

Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2016 :  18:36:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

quote:

quote:

Well, many of the best Pixies songs had next to nothing for lyrics content or length wise, it was just certain phrases repeated in different, interesting ways. Maybe the same deal.

Sure, I get that, and as long as there is interesting music and some tension there it could work. That said, simplicity and repetition in the IC songs I mentioned (Jaime Bravo, Ring the Bell, Magdalena, Snakes) didn't really make for good repeat listening or lasting pleasure. I know some here really like a few of these, but for me they are most of the ones that really didn't live up to the Pixies' legacy.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2016 :  00:23:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Jaime Bravo, Ring the Bell, Magdalena, Snakes"

You just named my 4 favourite songs off IC.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2016 :  02:02:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too feel those four songs have a repetitive side
Magdalena probably the worst, because of poor lyrics + oooh's, despite great atmosphere and intention

JaimeBravo definitively too long, otherwisr could have been great and not boring

Ring the Bell, I like it (I think it was part of that initial batch that Kim Deal qualified as "great songs" before accepting to record in Wales), but I thing Gil Norton made it over-mellow

Snakes is a bit different, not flawed by repetition but by simplistic choruses, with lazy lyrics and melody

Live Magdalena and Snakes sound better, but still have those intrinsic structure problems

--
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2016 :  03:19:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ring the Bell is one of my favourites from Indie Cindy. The dynamics are lost a bit in the production though.

Magelena 318 and Blue Eyed Hexe really drag on the album. Prefer the faster live versions.

Edited by - Ziggy on 07/22/2016 03:21:04
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000