New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 22

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2016 :  04:20:18  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.creativereview.co.uk/work/vaughan-olivers-artwork-pixies-album-_head-carrier_/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2016 :  04:30:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

Still no delivery from PledgeMusic, no digital download provided - this is, by far, the worst pre-order experience I've ever had, and I do this a few times a month. Giving the stream to NPR and song exclusives to iTunes is insulting enough, but to have the delivery be after release date without a digital download on day of release is incredibly bad form. I could've, for less money, bought the record at a store todayInstead, I have absolutely nothing to show for my preorder, which benefits the band/management/label intensely.

I know this is not the doing of the band themselves, but I hope they catch wind of this, and change their plan for next release.

- Brian

my pledgemusic order arrived yesterday afternoon.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1871 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2016 :  04:49:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Nice vintage receivers, Johnnyribcage ;-). Had a few of those years ago. The one on the left with the wooden case is beautiful. Is this a pioneer qx ?

___
"Service Unavailable"

Thanks, that's my baby in the wooden case, a Marantz 2275. The one in the center is a Marantz cassette deck.

Take me to the vineyards of Lavaux
Want to see the mountains where the waters flow

I still have a tiny Marantz 1030 from my grandfather, sweetest sounding amp ever. And still running after 40 years ;-).

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunnyToo
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2016 :  10:30:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So how does the PledgeMusic order thing work? I've got the email confirming payment, but do you actually have to wait until the vinyl arrives to get the download code? Surely that would defeat the purpose somewhat?!

I just ordered so I could listen to it properly right now (with vinyl for later), but it looks like that isn't happening.

256kbps mp3 version it is, then, until... whenever. Sigh. Recent comments re. the FLAC version made me keen!

--
James/DruggedBunny[Too]
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2016 :  10:35:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh man that sounds awesome - I used to live in San Diego about 15 years ago but I'm in Pittsburgh now (I'm not dead). Connect with me on my soundcloud page at https://soundcloud.com/bluejacket-music and we can maybe get something going. Always up for new projects!

I liked Another Lance, hard rockin' and the song goes to some very interesting and unexpected places.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2016 :  12:12:37  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2016 :  13:47:18  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure why but Plaster of Paris is really working for me. I really dig it - kind of reminds me of something the Catholics would have done at their peak. Seems like it's coming from the same creative place as If It Takes All Night. There is something really aesthetically familiar about it but I can't put my finger on it. I want to say it sounds like R.E.M. through a Pixies filter or something. Not sure if that's right though.

Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2016 :  18:15:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^ I appreciate this enthusiasm even if I don't agree with your overall sentiment. The track is fine, maybe needed some variance but the biggest gripe for me is why are drums so far down in the mix? That's what keeps it from "rockin" as hard as it probably should.

As for your take on not getting so wrapped up in the production and all that stuff, I'm totally with you. Actually I prefer the production on this to that on IC, but that may be just due to the band writing more immediate and engaging songs that move with some pace.
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2016 :  23:56:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've listened to the album about 7 or 8 times now (been driving about for 8 hours over the last two days so had plenty time on my hands...). The first three times I listened to it I didn't realise that I had it on shuffle and the track listing was all wrong (it was the same for the three times though) so to listen to the regular to the track order seems slightly strange to me now.

First impressions:

Head Carrier - Solid opener. Muddy sounding, in a good way, with a catchy chorus and simple sounding guitar riffs from Joey.
Classic Masher - Catchy chorus, bright, poppy sounding. Good stuff.
Baal's Back - Sort of agree about the drums being down in the mix but too busy being blown away by the vocals to let it be a problem. Almost classic Pixies.
Might As Well Be Gone - Sweet sounding chorus. Not too much else. Nice song.

It's striking me how short the songs are and how the chorus to every song is so catchy, yet the rest of the songs, without listening to them, I can't really remember how they go.

Oona - Nothing too special here. Fine.
Talent - Grown on me since I heard it before the album release. Nothing groundbreaking, can imagine it sounding better live.
Tenement Song - Sounds so Pixieish, yet radio friendly. Heard it on Radio 2 before the album came out which surprised me. One of the best songs on the album.
Bel Esprit - I always forget about this one until I hear it again. Opening line reminds me of The Maharal every time.
All I Think About Now - A highlight. Riff similar to Where is my Mind, also reminds me of Is This It, by The Strokes. Paz sounds great.
Um Chagga Lagga - Another with a classic Pixies sound. Sure to be a live favourite.
Plaster of Paris - Not sure if it's harsh to call it filler, because at 33 minutes the album still holds attention all the way through. On an album where the songs weren't so short though this would fall by the wayside.
All The Saints - Same as the last song. OK song to close the album, but the highlights are over already.

The order I had the songs in originally had Tenement Song and Um Chagga Lagga closing the album...now that's a way to go out with a bang!

I'm more instantly impressed than I was with IC, I can get into the whole album really quickly. I don't think there's an individual song that can stand toe to toe with Indie Cindy or Andro Queen, but overall I think I do prefer this album so far.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2016 :  00:13:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixiestu

All I Think About Now - A highlight. Riff similar to Where is my Mind

this is very obvious. surely this is an intentional reference to where is my mind.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2016 :  00:33:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

quote:

this is very obvious. surely this is an intentional reference to where is my mind.

it's educational

Yeah, there's an interview posted in the current Joey thread in this section which I've only just got round to watching, where he says it sounds like the past because it's a song about the past. It's a song about Kim Deal basically and it was intentional to have it sounding like a throwback.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2016 :  03:03:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Plaster of Paris - Not sure if it's harsh to call it filler, because at 33 minutes the album still holds attention all the way through. On an album where the songs weren't so short though this would fall by the wayside.
All The Saints - Same as the last song. OK song to close the album, but the highlights are over already.

"The arc of triumph"

Strange....
These are my 3 favorite tracks on the album!

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2016 :  05:15:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

quote:

it's educational

Yeah, there's an interview posted in the current Joey thread in this section which I've only just got round to watching, where he says it sounds like the past because it's a song about the past. It's a song about Kim Deal basically and it was intentional to have it sounding like a throwback.

"The arc of triumph"

In one of BF's interviews he says it wasn't planned but once they noticed it sounded like Where is My Mind, they found it interesting and just went with it.
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2016 :  08:58:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

quote:

"The arc of triumph"

Strange....
These are my 3 favorite tracks on the album!

--

I guess that's a good thing. Over time I'm sure I'll grow to like these songs more, as that usually happens for me with a new album. It's good that everybody can take something different from it.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2016 :  11:55:13  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Oona" is, to me, the clear highlight of the record. Can't get it out of my head.

Still hasn't arrived from Pledge Music...

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2016 :  13:10:18  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So do we know for sure what all additional unreleased songs were recorded for the Head Carrier sessions? I know I remember seeing Down in Toulon on one of those teaser screen grabs. The way Paz talked about All I Think About Now she was wondering if it would, to paraphrase, make the cut. When she got the mix in the final track listing, she was excited it was there. Makes me think there were possibly quite a few songs in the can.

I wonder if any of that stuff will ever see the light of day, maybe on a deluxe version or something? I'm guessing they aren't going to be releasing singles with B-sides like in the good old days...

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 10/02/2016 13:12:53
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1871 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2016 :  17:56:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Toulon + Drive ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2016 :  19:38:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Toulon + Drive ?

___
"Service Unavailable"

+ Super Lecker most likely.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1220 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2016 :  20:19:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would love love love to see some one off singles on vinyl. Chances are limited I guess.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2016 :  21:42:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

In one of BF's interviews he says it wasn't planned but once they noticed it sounded like Where is My Mind, they found it interesting and just went with it.

cool.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2016 :  23:45:11  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wonder what song was the one Paz received and misheard, resulting in All I Think About Now...... I can't see any of the other 11 songs on the album being similar enough to AITAN to being the demo that was given to her.... Maybe it was Toulon or Drive?
Go to Top of Page

Panamanian Schooner
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2016 :  00:03:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skatealex1

So far I enjoyed my second listen of the album more than my first. I was underwhelmed at first but some of it is growing on me. I like Bel Esperit into All I Think About Now. Also Plaster of Paris is an interesting change up for a Pixies song. The bass line on that is cool. Talent might be the low point of the album for me.

It's interesting how so many people are unified in their dislike of Talent, saying it's the low point etc., but hardly anyone has expanded upon why that is. I guess it's possibly the most straightforward 'brainless' song in terms of composition...
I really enjoy it, think it's really catchy.

After 10+ listens to the album, I now love certain songs, and have had others that I thought were ok grow on me significantly.

My personal low-light is Might As Well Be Gone. I think the intro and verses show promise, but it's undone by an insipid chorus.

Overall, loving having a new album that's got more pluses than minuses.

Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1871 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2016 :  02:02:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like Talent now. Like Tenement song. I wasn't a big fan of those upon their release.

I think I just like every single song on the record right now !

Head Carrier is a really great album. Every song has an infectious melody. And I kind of understand now why Dalgety wanted to boost BF rythm guitar so much in the mix: his tone and his playing are incredible.

And Tenement Song lead part is incredible (dunno why I only notice it right now). I wonder how songs like Oona & Tenement Song will sound live.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2016 :  03:07:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yarbles

I wonder what song was the one Paz received and misheard, resulting in All I Think About Now...... I can't see any of the other 11 songs on the album being similar enough to AITAN to being the demo that was given to her.... Maybe it was Toulon or Drive?

Toulon and Drive were much older songs, as evidenced by Rolling Stones interview, and pre-prod pictures I think. If the whole AITAN story is true (which we should not take for granted :) ), this was the last song written in Bath, or at least later in the process than all the other songs. So, I imagine it was a demo riff sent by BF/Joey to Paz, but not Toulon or Drive.

--
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2016 :  03:13:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Panamanian Schooner

quote:

So far I enjoyed my second listen of the album more than my first. I was underwhelmed at first but some of it is growing on me. I like Bel Esperit into All I Think About Now. Also Plaster of Paris is an interesting change up for a Pixies song. The bass line on that is cool. Talent might be the low point of the album for me.

It's interesting how so many people are unified in their dislike of Talent, saying it's the low point etc., but hardly anyone has expanded upon why that is. I guess it's possibly the most straightforward 'brainless' song in terms of composition...

After 10+ listens to the album, I now love certain songs, and have had others that I thought were ok grow on me significantly.

My personal low-light is Might As Well Be Gone. I think the intro and verses show promise, but it's undone by an insipid chorus.

welcome
Nice username :)

MAWBG has a great intro+verse, but a lukewarm chorus in comparison. (+ a bit too long)

Yeah, Talent is kind of brainless. I think this is a good song, but still can't figure how it can fit in the Pixies canon. That's my biggest problem. I mean, if it was not Sia but the Pixies who made the huge hit "Chandelier", would it be a Pixies song? Am I the only one who would care?

--
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2016 :  05:41:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me bel spirit and plaster are the less atractive songs but, the álbum is great for me better than TLM, the first listen you can realize that you are listening Pixies, this álbum has a lot of new classic that the y could play for Many years
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2016 :  07:38:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd have been fine with Cephalophore as a title though I think Head-Carrier works just as well. Maybe better as its more direct.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1220 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2016 :  07:58:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ccuadros

For me bel spirit and plaster are the less atractive songs but, the álbum is great for me better than TLM, the first listen you can realize that you are listening Pixies, this álbum has a lot of new classic that the y could play for Many years

From my perspective this is extremely high praise (seen as TLM and Doolittle vie for my absolute favourite Pixies record). But at the moment this record is close to knocking Bossnova off my own position 5 which sounds bizarre given I think Bossanova is amazing.
Go to Top of Page

wilson
- FB Fan -

59 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2016 :  09:50:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey I just thought of something - where is wilson?

hiya. great to see all of the love for the record. also, really curious that most people have a different favourite track. a good sign of a good record.

oh and to whomever said that they reckon they'll wear BAALS out first, you're wrong. i've been listening every day for four months now and the gut kicking urgency doesn't disperse. listen loud.

btw not sure what happened to classic masher as a single. it was on the cards, and still could be ..
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1871 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2016 :  10:09:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wilson, does your version of the CD sound the same as ours ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2016 :  10:37:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Panamanian Schooner

quote:

Great username!

I think the beginning of the album is fantastic. HC, Classic, Baal's, MAWBG and Oona are all superb. Then I think there's a big dip with Talent and Tenement and Bel. None of those are particularly bad songs but they just drag a little. Who knows, I might have felt different had I not heard Talent and Tenement before the album was released properly. My girlfriend loves Talent* but it's just the boring lyrics that grate me. That opening line... man, he's capable of much better. I still tap along to it but it lacks a bit of something. It's no Six Legged Man or Captain Pasty or You're Gonna Pay. BF said he was imitating the Stranglers and I guess that's a good representation of it - bouncy pop that snarls but just isn't raw enough.

(* Though has banned me from playing and shouting along to Baal's Back.)

Bel I definitely like a lot more than on first listen. Dunno though, it's still a bit "safe" or something.

Then the Paz song is just OK. Might be the one song I don't like as much as I did on first listen. Still a nice song but too slow. The album at this point desperately needs another rocker. That's why UCL is so welcome.

I'd give the album a solid 7 out of 10. Solid. Good. Almost very good. Fun (for the most part). But there's a big lag in the middle before UCL and PoP come to the rescue.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2016 :  11:03:44  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
^ lol - my wife is a big FBF/Pixies fan as well (or at least she does a damn good job pretending to be). After we listened to HC once her main comment was "I like it except that one where he was screaming."

Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2016 :  11:51:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha. That's essentially her. Loves Talent and Tenement and then asks "see, he sings so nicely here - why does he feel the need to scream?".
Go to Top of Page

Mad Lucas
- FB Fan -

Australia
142 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2016 :  22:17:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Howdy. I haven't posted here in about 10 years... just checking in to say I really feel that Head Carrier stands alongside the older material perfectly. Really tightly arranged songcraft, full of Francis-esque quirks, plenty of lead lines that only Joey would write, and I'm really loving the new found vocal dynamic between Charles and Paz. I'm so happy with it
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1871 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2016 :  22:24:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Lucas

Howdy. I haven't posted here in about 10 years... just checking in to say I really feel that Head Carrier stands alongside the older material perfectly. Really tightly arranged songcraft, full of Francis-esque quirks, plenty of lead lines that only Joey would write, and I'm really loving the new found vocal dynamic between Charles and Paz. I'm so happy with it

Feels good to hear that.

A bit bummed by the lack of promo due to Joey's illness, but at least we have a great record to listen to until the next shows. I'm really looking forward to hear the newer songs performed live.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 10/03/2016 22:26:05
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000