Page: of 22

McDutchie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
267 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2016 :  04:13:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Arm Arm Arm

quote:
Think about how creatively paralyzing that would be, collaborating with someone they consider brilliant. It would just make them self-concious.
Or maybe it would make them more critical, keep him on his toes more, expecting better lyrics than what he's delivering now.

Edited by - McDutchie on 09/07/2016 04:14:10
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2016 :  05:10:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not really seeing the laziness of lyrics with these songs any more than 1.0 songs. Sure Trompe or 13 are lyrically brilliant, but Pixies have always had lyrics that don't necessarily strike you as being the product of hours spent in the basement sweating over a desk (peachy peach / kissy kiss not withstanding.)

Furthermore, we all know even the man's simplest lyrics are layered riddles with a lot more going on than meets the eye, like Tenement Song's "Hey man, nothing comes from nothing" could itself be a silly little nothing line, or it could be an expression of a theistic worldview expressing concepts such as ex nihilo, solar parallex, geocentricity, or whatever. To assume the lyrics are lazy might be off point.

And yes, I'm speculating when I say that Tenement Song would be as good with Kim as it is with Paz and not better. But I could also speculate that Doolittle was not as good as it could have been if Kim had just gone along with Charles' vision and not put in her opinions. I'm just saying when I listen to the album version of Tenement Song I don't miss Kim, which maybe I did throughout IC (except on Bagboy).

I love what this guy is doing with these 3 songs. Hoping the rest of the album is right there.

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2016 :  05:37:46  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been really enjoying reading everyone's thoughts on the songs, from the production to the songwriting, etc. It just reminds me how lucky we are to be getting new Pixies music. Of course, I'd be even happier if we were also getting new FB solo stuff, but overall, I'm glad we have this stuff to discuss.

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2016 :  08:56:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...and the forum is not crashing anymore !

Of course we're lucky to hear new stuff from this great band.

I just have this feeling everyone would enjoy the songs 10x more if the production/mastering wasn't so lame. Well, at least, I would. Not intending to restart the whole compression thread here, but damn... what a shit sound for this great-sounding band. So, so, frustrating. Maybe Dalgety is a very nice friendly guy and they had a great time together, but now I can say it: I HATE his sound. I'll never be able to enjoy those songs in their studio versions, ever. I already don't want to hear them again even though I like them. What a shame. I hope someone from their management or whatever reads this.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunnyToo
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2016 :  11:02:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

+ songs having the word "song" in their title is a rather poor device

Really bugs me too! (Especially when it's used in the chorus.)

Looking forward to the recorded Baal's, Masher and HC... expecting that current 7/10 feeling, though :/

--
James/DruggedBunny[Too]
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2016 :  11:41:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am unspeakably excited for the record.

I am by no means an audiophile and very much a layman, but I agree with everyone else RE: frustration over the production quality (though I have been able to find more enjoyment in the recordings than many, mostly by turning up the volume loud enough that subtlety is rendered less important).

But yes, I agree with you picpic - I hope someone involved gets the message. They are neutering what would be considered vintage, classic Pixies songs with this overcompression BS. The question is: who could do it properly? I loved those Mclusky records that Steve Albini recorded...but he seems way too pompous to work with the Pixies again. Is there anyone out there who still does it right?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2016 :  16:24:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Picpic

Just for my own understanding, where and when did we first start hearing this compression in his music? Before IC?
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2016 :  16:52:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
May I humbly request a seperate thread be opened for the compression talk?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2016 :  16:58:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I withdraw the question
Go to Top of Page

Ecto
- FB Fan -

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2016 :  17:53:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm really, really excited for the new album but at the same time I haven't been blown away yet. I love UCL but it wasn't a surprise and I played the hell out of that demo. Talent and Tenement are just alright. I'd say they're on the Another Toe or Snakes level. Not bad, definitely listenable but nothing special and that's weird for me to say. I only listened to the live tracks once, trying to wait for the album. Baals seemed promising but Masher seemed like it was missing something and honestly, I can't remember HC at this point. I want to obsess over new Pixies music but I haven't had that feeling yet. Still impatiently waiting for the 30th...
Go to Top of Page

Ecto
- FB Fan -

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2016 :  17:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And if anyone wants to send me any Indie Cindy demos it would really be appreciated. Just putting that out there....
Go to Top of Page

thierry512
- FB Fan -

France
13 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2016 :  18:35:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Picpic

Just for my own understanding, where and when did we first start hearing this compression in his music? Before IC?

I think we first heard it on the FB album non-stop erotik.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2016 :  21:25:33  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I like these songs. Not like I liked some other Franks records. But still...a new record by our beloved Charles Thompson!
The six songs we heard already (studio + live) are full of life, meaning and catchy lines. They are very distinctive and diverse too.

Head Carrier won't be a record with similar songs.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2016 :  02:40:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After listening to theses songs for a while I think what is missing, in part is Santiago's riffs. What I have heard so far is pretty unimaginative. Debaser, HCYM, Wave, Gouge, Havalina etc. Nothing I have heard so far comes close to that stuff. The song IC has that awesome riff, but most of that album is pretty forgettable by comparison.

Edited by - The Champ on 09/08/2016 02:46:21
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2016 :  04:25:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HC (the song) riff is pretty wild. But it's true that nowadays Joey tends to follows the main riff + some of his usual signature bends + little 3-notes "troll" solos.

I always liked Joey's work on Indie Cindy. Many great lead parts...

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2016 :  07:01:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I liked Joey's signature on Bagboy (very simple and effective, slightly off timing), on Boom (experimental a la Vamos bridge), on IC verses (but not on choruses, too syrupy), on Magdalena, Silver Snail. Not so much on Andro Queen, Hexe, Greens (seems forced)
Agree he now kinda "trolls" the songs with expected gimmicks
Head Carrier, Classic Masher and Baal's Back seem to have him do deeper work.

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

LUTINS
- FB Fan -

France
182 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2016 :  08:10:00  Show Profile  Click to see LUTINS's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote

the official title Classic Masher exclusively on the CD Inrockuptibles magazine this September 7!

http://mon-compte.lesinrocks.com/bibliotheque/numero/?number=1084&titleRef=EDIND.INWEB

http://blackolero.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2016 :  09:24:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Counting the B-sides and Oddballs, from Come on Pilgrim through to Show Me Your Tears, Frank released amazing albums filled with great songs while changing his style a bit. That's a great run of music! After that there's been some not so good records and some great ones.

For me, Indie Cindy was just not one of his better efforts. It's too bad it happened to be the Pixies big comeback album but that's how it went. I barely listen to it, find myself skipping tracks and not even making it all the way through.

And while to some degree, I do view this run of music as all Frank, his collaborators played a big role in bringing his songs to life. What role did Kim have? Critic, someone who forced Frank to do better, maybe even trying to impress her without being aware of it, the input of someone with an askew view of songwriting and distaste of creating cliches?

Maybe, I don't know. It could just be less Kim's absence and more this is what Frank came up with as songs.

But I still think the ineffable is at play here, not just with the Pixies and Kim but also with the Catholics and his solo albums.

Regardless, Indie Cindy isn't anywhere near the original Pixies albums, it's just not that good.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2016 :  16:01:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it's been mentioned that tenement song has a bossanova feel- i want to say more specifically it starts off with an all over the world feel. and hangwire?

it's probably not the right way to appreciate these new songs- to look for specific parallels with old material.

Overall i don't really like the song. the sound of those guitars on the chorus is awful, the vocals are processed in a way that makes me feel a bit 'icky'. sounds like they wanted to make the chorus explosive but it falls flat.

revisiting IC tonight, i have to say that what goes boom really stands out as a great song. key moment is that very simple lead guitar over the chorus. to me, so quintessentially pixies, though i'm not sure why, but it just brings me so much joy.

Edited by - PixieSteve on 09/08/2016 16:05:31
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2016 :  17:59:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I enjoy Joey's guitar work on these HC songs. They aren't showy but they add to the song without overwhelming everything. Not as many chunky Pixies riffs of old, but that's ok. Especially on the first verse of Talent where at :19 you can hear his guitar growl start in the background then he kicks in a bit at :23. The musicianship is all working for me, but the lyrics and chrorused not as much.

Interesting that Tenement Song already has more views than Talent, which has much more views than UCL. Maybe the slow ramp up is working?

Paz's inclusion with vocals is an overall plus for me. She isn't Kim, doesn't have that distinctive voice, but she gives some warmth and layers to the singing. Plus, her bass on Talent is cool too.

Tenement Song's chorus is not as bad, but is close to being on the level of Another Toe. I dig the lyrics, but would've liked more of them. Kicks into the "Hey Man"s way too soon. Need a few more lines to dig into the song. Joey's lead in guitar sounds great.

Anyone have an idea of what the album cover is depicting?

Edited by - natenate101 on 09/08/2016 18:06:41
Go to Top of Page

Jason Bravo
- FB Fan -

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2016 :  18:44:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like all the new songs that I've heard. I'm trying not to relate it to the old stuff, which is always hard for fans to do. It's probably been said already, but I don't think that the Pixies are looking to make another record like one of the one's from their heyday. Instead, I just feel that they are in the present and trying to keep that "Pixies" sound just in different ways. That's pretty general, but that's what I think.

By the way, take a listen to Jawbreaker's intro on "Fireman". Sounds very similar to the intro to Talent. When I first heard Talent, I was like...this sounds like something I've heard before somewhere. Not exactly the same, but reminiscent to me, (just the beginning). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSid_w5vB40
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2016 :  21:40:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

Cool game. I see a crying mutant baby with an insect-like face.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2016 :  00:28:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TMNT
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2016 :  01:20:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
reminds me of the "baby" in Eraserhead by David Lynch

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2016 :  02:41:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sdon

They're not even sure it is a baby.
Go to Top of Page

pmjk
- FB Fan -

Ireland
92 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2016 :  02:43:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

This could be a goldfish after wen growth removal.
An aquatic head carrier of sorts.
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2016 :  02:43:43  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A fish, Brazilian? A Pacu? The testicle biting fish, with human-like teeth.

Edited by - hammerhands on 09/09/2016 02:44:29
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2016 :  07:43:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really like the cover, some sort of mutant insect methinks, but the numbers are annoying and detract from it.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2016 :  13:43:59  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Edited by - pot on 09/09/2016 13:44:46
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2016 :  14:12:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Really like the cover, some sort of mutant insect methinks, but the numbers are annoying and detract from it.

Yeah, not a fan of the numbers. I have no idea what the picture is of, which is already an improvement on the IC cover. it's obviously 2 stacked on top of each other
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2016 :  14:12:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Survivor from the compression thread.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2016 :  14:13:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah you beat me. Too many people on this forum, can you believe that!!!
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2016 :  19:46:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
it's obviously 2 stacked on top of each other

Really ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2016 :  21:33:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

quote:

Really ?

___
"Service Unavailable"

I think the dividing line seperated 2 different pictures, but I could be wrong. When I look at it, the lines don't seem to matchup.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2016 :  23:46:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by picpic

quote:

Really ?

I think the dividing line seperated 2 different pictures, but I could be wrong. When I look at it, the lines don't seem to matchup.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000