Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 22

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2016 :  13:01:35  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Bravo

I like all the new songs that I've heard. I'm trying not to relate it to the old stuff, which is always hard for fans to do. It's probably been said already, but I don't think that the Pixies are looking to make another record like one of the one's from their heyday. Instead, I just feel that they are in the present and trying to keep that "Pixies" sound just in different ways. That's pretty general, but that's what I think.

Yeppers. The newbie nailed it from my perspective.

My density has popped me to you.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2016 :  05:59:07  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Okay - so I broke down and listened to Tenement song. Holy shit, great track. I can't wait for this album. To me, everything released before has been killer. It all fits right in with the old stuff better than anything on IC in my opinion. I think they've really hit a stride here, and anyone who disagrees with me can burn in hell!

lol just kidding :)

My density has popped me to you.
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2016 :  14:38:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tenement Song is pretty good. After the disappointment of Talent I'm now feeling more optimistic for the album. If it's as good as Indie Cindy I'll be pretty content.

"The arc of triumph"

Edited by - pixiestu on 09/11/2016 14:38:46
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2016 :  01:59:38  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.godisinthetvzine.co.uk/2016/09/16/win-pixies-head-carrier-ltd-t-shirt-cd-album/ A chance to win a T-shirt and a copy of Head Carrier.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2016 :  22:45:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The full album has really messed my mind up, I think in a good way.

Hearing the previously disseminated studio tracks in their proper sequence and alongside the rest of the record has, at least for me, drastically altered my perspective on all three of them.

I look very forward to seeing what board members think of the totality of this album.

There are some truly phenomenal and almost quintessential moments and examples of what can only be termed "PIXIES" on display. However, there are also plenty of approaches and material that will likely instantly challenge many fans' preconceptions of what an album by this band must - or even should - include.

At times, the inclusion of such "nontraditional" elements seems quite intentional on the group's part, and at others it appears nonchalant and blissfully carefree. The same could be said of the more "trademark" sonic flourishes and arrangement quirks which harken back to earlier releases under this band name.

I think Head Carrier, when taken from start to finish in one bite, is a way ballsier effort than Indie Cindy - although, after five listens, I am not sure it will ultimately feel as weighty or substantial as that LP.

Not that that in and of itself is some sort of failure. They are incredibly different types of records. Indie Cindy is much longer, for one thing, and was designed to balance a lot more on its shoulders.

For better or worse, this record gives no f u c k s whatsoever, which for a dedicated fan such as myself is simultaneously heartening and more than a bit intimidating.

As of 9/30/16, Pixies is officially and clearly a NEW band, that much is for sure.

They are headed in the same general direction, but seem intent on taking a more scenic route to their destination.

That may rub some folks the wrong way. Others may find it exciting and suspenseful. I fall into that second camp.

Oh, and despite everything I had read about "All I Think About Now," nothing prepared me at all for the reality of that track. It is so much more provocative and meta than I would have ever imagined.

For all the focus and hype surrounding the genesis of that song, the sheer chutzpah of the final product can only be meant to serve as a sleek, Lemur skin-covered nail in the "No-Kim-No-Deal" coffin.

Is it a bittersweet song? Absolutely.

Does it seem an almost unnervingly sincere and heartfelt encomium from all involved? Absolutely.

It also fairly screams "Move along. Nothing more to see here."

And, for whatever my opinion may be worth to anyone, "Oona" is right up there with any Pixies song you'd care to name as one of their very best and most idiosyncratic efforts.

It could have fit snugly as a standout track on any of their initial run of LPs, and would likely have been a hit single and permanent fan fave in concert for all these years.

Yeah, it's that expertly composed, performed and recorded.

Like they say on that one big website that I don't use: Ask Me Anything (unless it's to share the record itself, which I am sworn not do). :)

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder

Edited by - peter radiator on 09/17/2016 22:52:39
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  00:36:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like eveyone has already listened to the record except me.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  00:42:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter, can you share Oona with me?

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  04:04:27  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Where are you criminals getting the full album? LOL just kidding

I have it on pre-order on vinyl (the basic, non-price-gouge-sucker version) and I'm choosing to drop the needle on vinyl for the first time I hear this (other than the 3 officially released tracks of course). I can wait 2 weeks :)

Take me to the vineyards of Lavaux
Want to see the mountains where the waters flow
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  04:09:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They're sharing the press version obviously. It has been out for months.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  07:19:55  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well yeah, obviously. bad joke I guess...

Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  08:52:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to say, not listening to this album hasn't had much of an impact on me at all. True, yesterday I didn't put the disc in my cd player and really enjoyed not hearing any of the new songs but overall Head Carrier hasn't made much of an impression on me.

All this active non-listening as had me focusing on the cover art which I don't like. But then, I didn't like Indie Cindy's art either, including the new Pixies logo with the oversized "x". But this new image is just ugly. Sure ain't no Bossanova.

Maybe next record they'll bring in someone new.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  09:08:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arm Arm Arm

All this active non-listening as had me focusing on the cover art which I don't like. But then, I didn't like Indie Cindy's art either, including the new Pixies logo with the oversized "x". But this new image is just ugly. Sure ain't no Bossanova.

True... IC's artwork was so lame that it was almost conceptual, but HC's front cover is indeed, just plain ugly... A mere caricature of Doolittle inner artwork with cheap colours. Something lacks from this point of view which was crucial and efficient on their past century's releases.
From this point I'd rather go for some Frank Black & the Catholics covers...

++++
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  09:37:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have to say, not listening to this album hasn't had much of an impact on me at all. True, yesterday I didn't put the disc in my cd player and really enjoyed not hearing any of the new songs but overall Head Carrier hasn't made much of an impression on me.

I really appreciate this, Arm3.

It may be my favorite post of the year.

--

Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  11:27:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a fan of the artworks either. And some IC drawing were nearly ripoffs of Ralph Steadman's style. Oddly enough, they work with the same artists since Come on Pilgrim.

Looks like HC will feature more photographic collages than IC whose artworks were essentially drawings.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  11:32:41  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter radiator

quote:

I really appreciate this, Arm3.

It may be my favorite post of the year.

--

+1

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 09/18/2016 11:33:27
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  11:35:58  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ummm... the artwork is awesome. What are you guys talking about?

Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  12:00:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot better than IC anyway. I found the new Pixies logo really tacky and it ruined the orange and black colour scheme I otherwise really like. Parquet Courts' Content Nausea did it right (and it's a damn fine listen too).
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  12:02:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really liked Bagboy's artwork, very brutal and new for Pixies, almost avant-garde
IC cover isn't as good unfortunately

I like HC's cover art so far, but won't buy the limited edition this time

--
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  12:08:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I didn't like the new Pixies logo with the oversized "x".

Me neither
This logo here below was so good, but was only used during the first gigs with Kim Shattuck (on David's bass drum)
https://goo.gl/images/qaCUGN

--

Edited by - sdon on 09/18/2016 12:08:59
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  13:09:33  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I guess I'm in the minority here but I'm totally onboard with all the artwork that came out of both the EP releases as well as the left field orange and black branding of IC. I love the artwork of IC. If nothing else, it's super different, and stands out. Hmmmm... let's see... there is a band I really like that is super different and stands out.... what's they're name???

Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  13:14:26  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
oh, and the art of HC if fucking sick

Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  13:55:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IC's cover art is terrible. HC's is odd but at least intriguing. They should use one of BF's paintings for a cover.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  14:09:59  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
IC's cover is just fine :)

Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  17:40:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

quote:

I didn't like the new Pixies logo with the oversized "x".

Me neither
This logo here below was so good, but was only used during the first gigs with Kim Shattuck (on David's bass drum)
https://goo.gl/images/qaCUGN

This one really sucks lol. I could have done it. I like the IC Pixies logo design, but the artworks were really Steadman's psychedelic characters ripoffs. Strange nobody noticed that.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  18:02:27  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ralph Steadman? No, i'm definitely not seeing that. I think you're undercutting both Ralph and Vaughn with that statement - if i'm reading you correctly

Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  06:26:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://po.st/PixiesTeaser

I think we can hear almost all songs of the album in this new teaser.

Classic Masher sounds really good so far.
___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 09/19/2016 07:37:59
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  06:58:22  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, that sounds like a Pixies album.

Let me be the first to reference this South Park episode...Member Berries.

Edited by - hammerhands on 09/19/2016 07:01:31
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunnyToo
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  07:13:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds pretty good, actually!

--
James/DruggedBunny[Too]
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  08:59:54  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The album is so close. Love that the anticipation is finally ramping up after 2.5 months of a really looooong, drawn out crawl. The album is sounding great. From this short snippet it at least sounds better than IC production wise.

My only really concern from this album sampler/teaser is the small clip of Baal's Back.... its so brief and out of context from the whole song, but the screaming in this snippet feels kinda forced... i don't know, it doesn't sound like the usual BF scream, or even the live version of Baal's Back..... again I've only heard these couple seconds of the actual song but the screaming sounds a little off here...

Edited by - yarbles on 09/19/2016 11:32:45
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  11:47:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're spot on regarding "Baal's Back."

The live versions that filtered out on phone videos from the Euro festival tour CRUSH the studio version.

It's a VERY weird mix on that song. It actually reminds me quite a bit of the claustrophobic strangeness of Bowie's original, "Time Cube" mix of Iggy's RAW POWER record.

FBF's voice is rendered small and distant, with the cymbals and toms of the drumkit almost completely buried, and waves of guitar snarl that rise up and down seemingly almost at random, like the band is just playing with the faders on the fly.

I have no idea what the idea behind this approach was, but it actually makes what is clearly the most brutal performance on the whole album pale in comparison to some of the lighter ones.

Odd. It's like it's been neutered.

It almost seems like a perverse tweak to the listeners. Like, "Well, this could quite easily go into 'Rock Music' territory, but just for the hell of it, let's squash the whole thing and mix it the diametric opposite of how a punk or metal producer would instinctively approach such a performance."

It must be intentional, and I cannot believe for a minute there weren't several alternate mixing approaches tried (even reflexively) that would have resulted in something much more akin to what we heard on the live stage a few weeks ago, and what the song seems to beg for.

"Baal's Back" is almost overbearingly intense, and FBF is clearly belting it out in a huge and ferocious way, but his voice has been EQ'd to sound almost strangled, like he's freaking out in a tiny cardboard box somewhere down the hall from the rest of the band.

It may grow on me, but it's easily the most puzzling and unconventional mix on the record. I worry that it will diminish the way the song is received by folks who may not happen to see the band deliver it live.

--

Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  12:44:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nevermind

Edited by - PixieSteve on 09/19/2016 12:45:12
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  14:14:09  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Damn. I was hoping it only sounded weird because of the weird audio snippets/segues in the teaser video.... Real shame to hear that the actual recorded song has those issues.....
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  15:59:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the sound of it, that reminds me of how some Indie Cindy songs come off live versus their recorded versions. Such as What Goes Boom, I don't think the recording of the song is that bad outisde of the production (which makes a big difference), but I think it sounds a lot better in its raw form as opposed to the produced version of it. If Pixies make more records after this it'd be nice to see them go with something closer to a Steve Albini approach than the recent recordings.

Edited by - Skatealex1 on 09/20/2016 00:43:12
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  20:33:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe he wanted to mix it as some River Euphrates clone, with vocals in the background ?

Anyway, funny how Dalgety production hasn't met with unanimous acclaim yet to say the least.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2016 :  05:19:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got notification that my pre-order shipped. Will now commence crapping my pants.

Anyone know where the items are being shipped from?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000