Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2016 :  21:00:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow that compression on What goes boom is unreal, worse than on my own home based efforts and I *need* to compress the hell out of my guitar and vocals!
Go to Top of Page

Ecto
- FB Fan -

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2016 :  01:01:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheScooper

If you mean his most recent post, that's a Husker Du song called Green Eyes

quote:
Originally posted by Ecto

@wilson Is the clip Frank recently posted on Instagram on the album? I can't get the link to work, sorry.

That's the one. I'm not very familiar with Husker Du, thanks man. Didn't sound like his voice but couldn't really tell from that. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2016 :  04:59:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the screenshot, Wilson. Looks brickwalled... (argh) but not as much as Indie Cindy.

Here's a screenshot from Brick is Red, which is a pretty well recorded track with plenty of dynamics, that sounds f*cking great, as we all know.

Compare with:

*Sigh*... well, whatever. All rock albums sound overcompressed now. There's nothing we can do.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 06/20/2016 05:03:02
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2016 :  05:35:09  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Man I've missed some great updates - Wilson is the man! Super exciting.

Oh, and looking at the Masher wav, I can tell you right now it's going to sound better and have more space than the stuff on Indie. That looks pretty dynamic compared to most other stuff these days. Unless that's not a final master and they're still planning on more compression/dynamic limiting. Btw it's usually the combo of comp+limiting that destroys things, not comp alone. Done right they are the critical to the mastering process. Abused though and, well...

Can't wait for the album!!!

My density has popped me to you.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2016 :  06:22:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The good news is: if the final mastering is even more brickwalled, Wilson can send us his copy

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2016 :  06:47:32  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's ridiculous, you've got all that dynamic range and they use none of it.
Maybe it will all get remastered someday.
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2016 :  07:06:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Wilson, cheers for the update - It was a great read.

Looking at that Audacity screenshot I think it's safe to assume Classic Masher is track 2 on the album. Frank always front loads his stuff so no surprise there!
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2016 :  09:28:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cannot wait

CLASSIC MASHER

Los Angeles The Mint 19 March 2013
http://youtu.be/7o1IlmWjXow

San Juan Capistrano 22 March 2013
http://youtu.be/7g_UgPcTSHg

Silver Lake CA, Lyric Theatre, 29 March 2013
Black Francis with Kim Shattuck
http://youtu.be/L-ZSi5_qGXI

New Orleans, Old US Mint, 5 May 2013
http://youtu.be/dHx4xl73XAg

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"

Edited by - sdon on 06/20/2016 09:30:52
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2016 :  10:15:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^ that'd sound great with loads of vocal harmonies on the chorus.
(...and I know this isn't the place but I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed Kim2s brief spell in the band)

Edited by - stuczuba on 06/20/2016 10:15:51
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2016 :  10:17:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Out of curiosity, how do tracks from Doolittle, Bossanova and Trompe compare against newer (and SR /COP) material on that purply blue thing?

Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2016 :  11:15:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doolitte, Bossanova & Trompe have a fuller and less dynamic sound that Surfer Rosa. But there's no limiting or clipping. You can actually ENJOY the tracks by listening to them. What Goes Boom is a great song, and at the same time it sounds like shit because of the brickwalling. What's the point, really ? Nonsense. And it came from the guy that mixed Doolittle.

Oh well. Forget it. Think positive. Just enjoy the music. We'll have a new Pixies album soon. A NEW PIXIES ALBUM !!! I can't wait to hear Joey's guitar clipping all over the place. Weehee !

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2016 :  11:19:00  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

Out of curiosity, how do tracks from Doolittle, Bossanova and Trompe compare against newer (and SR /COP) material on that purply blue thing?

Starting to get a little bit off topic I suppose but if you are interested in an objective measurement of this stuff vs staring at wav file screenshots, you can research most albums and most "remasters" of albums here: http://dr.loudness-war.info

Low numbers are bad, high numbers are good. Typically you'll see original releases of stuff from the mid 90s and back looking pretty good. As they are remastered through the years they get worse usually. Not a reflection of the original recording - it's a poor process. Its a genuine improvement to a point as there is a sweet spot, but it's diminishing returns after that. Smoke and mirrors - Louder is not equal to better. Anyway, the link shows you a numerical representation of what you see in the "bricked" wav files above.

Interestingly, if you look up the Pixies on here, you'll see that whoever has remastered them through the years has been doing a respectable job at maintaining the integrity of the recording. Fantastic actually considering the pressure to pump things into oblivion now so it sounds okay on a piece of crap desktop speaker or iPhone earbuds. Fantastic that is until you see where Indie clocked in at.

It's a dramatic difference, and clearly illustrates the massive difference. It really adds an oppressive feel to the music, no matter how good it is or how well it was produced and engineered. You can have friggin' Dark Side of the Moon on your mix down, but if you botch the master you wind up with a mess. Most masters are botched on purpose these days though. I suspect one day in the years to come you'll start seeing "unmasters" of albums released during the current era. They'll go in and back them off and everyone will crap their pants when they hear what it really sounded like in the studio before heavy mastering was applied.

Mixing producing and engineering are almost always done by completely different people and studios than the Mastering process. Two completely different processes.

SO!.... all that said the new album will definitely be mastered really hot, but you can definitely walk the line and get a really good sound out of a really loud master - just need someone who knows what they're doing. I'm stoked regardless. I love Indie Cindy even with the mastering, so I'm sure I'll love this too. Just hoping it's a little more subtle on that front.

edit: sorry about the typos and weird grammar. I typed this on a phone and don't feel like going back and cleaning it up :D

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 06/20/2016 11:36:41
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2016 :  12:04:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
May the lords of the dynamics hear your call.

I just hope the original studio mixes will still be available. You can't retro-engineer a botched mastering.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2016 :  12:08:50  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

May the lords of the dynamics hear your call.

I just hope the original studio mixes will still be available. You can't retro-engineer a botched mastering.

___
"Service Unavailable"

No you can't. But you absolutely can go back to the original mixdown and just master it again. I was just trying to talk in simple terms. You are right though. It would have the effect of backing off and opening up for the average Joe compared to what they heard before.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 06/20/2016 12:21:17
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2016 :  08:41:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So... Classic Masher next week ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

wilson
- FB Fan -

59 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2016 :  03:19:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
masher you'll hear soon, but not next week :/
Go to Top of Page

BunsenH
= Cult of Ray =

296 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2016 :  04:19:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilson

masher you'll hear soon, but not next week :/

Thanks for the inside tips, Wilson. Sorry if I am late to this conversation, but will we hear something new next week?
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2016 :  05:04:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe Masher in 2 or 3 weeks.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2016 :  07:34:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or maybe Masher isn't the single? Since it's likely something we've heard already could it be Um Chagga Lagga?
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2016 :  10:10:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would be a weird choice for a first single since it was premiered more than a year ago.

I suppose we'll hear something before the summer tour kicks off, right ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2016 :  09:38:18  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm hoping for something totally new and surprising/weird ala Bagboy

Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2016 :  10:07:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same hope!
I want to be slapped in the face by Baals Back
i want to believe

--
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2016 :  11:08:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wilson said the first single will be something old/new. So it's Masher or Chagga.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2016 :  19:36:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wilson - were there a lot of three part vocals, ala Women of War?

I love the shouting as much as anyone, but BF is getting older, the throat can't last forever. I've been wondering if maybe they'll start doing more group harmonizing and turn into a weird Beach Boys From Hell kind of thing.

Edited by - TheScooper on 06/25/2016 08:13:53
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2016 :  04:08:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a wait so long. Go, little record, go !

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2016 :  16:33:34  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like it's coming 9/30
https://www.ginza.se/product/pixies/head-carrier/345856/
http://www.eci.nl/muziek/head-carrier-pixies-5414939941115

--------
baby poop, curry
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2016 :  20:16:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha ! Was right a about the title. But 9/30... NOoooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2016 :  21:22:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooh
They even got time to drip some EPs till then :)

--
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2016 :  01:28:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will be hard not to click on concert videos while waiting for the album.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  00:10:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wilson, you seem very knowledgeable on your Pixies and Frank Black solo material - in your opinion where does the new album rank compared to previous releases?

How do you think the new album will be received by the media / general public considering Indie Cindy was received generally favourably if a little underwhelming?
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2016 :  11:56:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man, I could really use a Wilson update right now. Is it coming soon?
Go to Top of Page

wilson
- FB Fan -

59 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2016 :  03:02:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry gang, had a busy ol' week.

as far as i'm aware, the announcement is coming next week. before brixton anyhow. that's the last i heard about a month ago so may have been pushed .. the industry can be fickle. i want to get wrapped up in that announcexitement just as much as you guys!

@sdon err you want baals on your face?
@thescooper FB croons softly on most of the record, and there are lush harmonies on pretty much every song except baals i think.
@matto those leaks are correct, the LP is called 'head carrier' and opens with the track of the same name.
@stevio10 it's tricky to rank HC against past efforts. it's a good record with some great songs. it's more exciting than anything new pixies we've heard. regarding its public reception, i think if people go in with a fresh head then it'll be well received. some of the tracks on there are too good for pitchfork to play with their 2/10 ranking rubbish.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2016 :  06:49:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can we expect more singles or EPs during the summer before the album release ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

wilson
- FB Fan -

59 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2016 :  07:50:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
absolutely!
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2016 :  09:56:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh goody :) By the way do you know for certain what track the opening single is?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000