Originally posted by wilson

Anyone got any further Q's?

Can you send me the album? Thank you!

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  01:18:48  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello everybody.I'll be camping outside the record store to get the new album.Thanks Wilson.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

presley1
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  03:05:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does Dave sing an entire song?

Oh my golly!
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  06:55:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

[quote]Originally posted by wilson

Lastly, lyrically is there any theme you can detect? Is it very much based on French Culture? I wanna know if BF gets weird at all or if it's tame stuff?

Thanks

I guess you mean tame as in tame and not TAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMME?
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  07:57:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

[quote]Originally posted by wilson

Lastly, lyrically is there any theme you can detect? Is it very much based on French Culture? I wanna know if BF gets weird at all or if it's tame stuff?

Thanks

I guess you mean tame as in tame and not TAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMME?

Lol, yeah I meant the former. Though I would prefer "Taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmeee!!!l" any day of the week. I'd like a more manic BF but from what Wilson has said so far I don't think we are getting much of that.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  10:18:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome back Pixie Punk! How have you been?

Apparently Baals Back has THE angriest vocal delivery ever done by BF from how I read it.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  10:36:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Balls back.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  12:46:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

Haha true! Usually any references by BF in his lyrics are like shadows wrapped in enigmas so I also doubt its a direct Pere Ubu reference but I guess in these semi mainstream days even referencing Pere Ubu in any form is leftfield.

If Fissile still posted round here he may claim You Might As Well Be Gone was written by BF about Kim Deal during their Indie Cindy recordings which made her leave! What happened to Fissile?

I don't know what happened to Fissile. His posts were always quite comical (perhaps unintentionally). Seen as he is not here I constructed a fantasy tracklist for him.

1. Should you stay or should you go
2. Hello, I hate you
3. We can’t work it out
4. I shot the bass player
5. You Bleed
6. Communication Meltdown
7. Bassplayer in a coma
8. Saving all my drugs for you
9. Bad vibrations
10. Addicted to drugs
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  12:54:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wilson, I have a question which is whether you know how many songs have been properly recorded in total? I still remember the run of five 12"s from Monkey gone to Heaven to Planet of Sound with 3 extra songs on each. Fantastic times, would love a re-run.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  22:05:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah. Songs like Theme From Narc or Dancing the Manta Ray were such First-Class B-Sides.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  23:39:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Theme From Narc or Dancing the Manta Ray were First-Class B-Sides.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Fixed.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2016 :  02:30:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Merci pour la correction, chef !

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2016 :  16:01:20  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Welcome back Pixie Punk! How have you been?

Apparently Baals Back has THE angriest vocal delivery ever done by BF from how I read it.

Thanks for asking Stevio10 I've been very busy sharing updates at www.sex-pistols.net where I'm part of the news contributors team (it's the 40th anniversary of punk in the UK).Baals Back certainly is one of my fave new song titles.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2016 :  05:03:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see the new song titles are on the BMI list now. The new ones as said by wilson, but also 'American Rhyme' 'Bogman' and 'Screw Pine'.

There's so much material! Maybe wilson only received disc 1!

Haha I doubt it is going to be a double album but good to know there is no lack of upcoming material.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2016 :  07:30:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I see the new song titles are on the BMI list now. The new ones as said by wilson, but also 'American Rhyme' 'Bogman' and 'Screw Pine'.

There's so much material! Maybe wilson only received disc 1!

Haha I doubt it is going to be a double album but good to know there is no lack of upcoming material.

Oh wow, that's awesome!
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2016 :  09:29:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice find Stevio10. How the hell do you sort songs by date on BMI ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2016 :  09:46:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess there is no sorting as such. I keep tab of the number of songs, went from 427 to 433.a and any new titles stand out seeing as I'm familiar with all FB/BF projects. Yes I'm a bit sad!
Go to Top of Page

BunsenH
= Cult of Ray =

296 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2016 :  12:06:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stellar sleuthin'!

quote:

I guess there is no sorting as such. I keep tab of the number of songs, went from 427 to 433.a and any new titles stand out seeing as I'm familiar with all FB/BF projects. Yes I'm a bit sad!

Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2016 :  12:37:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Stevio10. Last time I checked the BMI catalog, I had to copy/paste everything page by page into Excel, then try to sort the latest titles by BMI ID. And even yet, the last song ID I got weren't the latest ones but some Catholics stuff. Thanks for being the great FB BMI monitoring Dude, man.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 06/11/2016 12:38:09
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2016 :  21:55:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a few covers/samples from other artists and the Catholics song Blizzard 1989 was only added shortly after the release of the boxset I believe that throw up some red herrings. I don't pay too much attention to the BMI ID but any batch of new tracks will have similar ID's.

The 6 new songs were likely recorded during the London session. More than ever I'm excited for the upcoming release and beyond.
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2016 :  06:58:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good work Stevio10! Looks like wilson knows his stuff then. Whatta guy B)

quote:
Originally posted by wilson
Anyone got any further Q's?

Sure! Let me think.

- For the most part Indie Cindy sounded like the band trying to move on from the sounds of old and into newer territory. Has this evolution continued or has the band looked back and tried to recapture any sounds from the past which didn't feature on the last album? From the pictures the band have posted I see the Taurus Moog pedal is still about (As heard on Bagboy & Silver Snail).

- Is the guitar feedback as heard on the Pixies 2016 Youtube teaser ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKdtiZ3kRUU ) found on the album and is it representative of the sort of thing to be expected?

- Now you've had it a while which are your favourite tracks? Are there any you are less impressed with?

- Has Classic Masher changed much from the live solo version we heard? Have Joey's guitar lines added much to the song?

- Any idea about the album artwork? Can't say I liked Indie Cindy's so I'm hoping for something better!

- Did anything crop up which took you by surprise? Something you wouldn't expect from the band.

If I can think of anything else I'll be sure to post it! Much appreciated :)

Edited by - jake3 on 06/12/2016 07:14:22
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2016 :  12:24:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perfect questions Jake!
I really look forward to those answers

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2016 :  21:58:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope The Tenement Song isn't a cover of this.

Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2016 :  08:10:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Make Believe!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMz9acu1Pl8

++++
Go to Top of Page

wilson
- FB Fan -

59 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2016 :  06:31:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@The New Bolero: no obvious cameos on the tracks stand out, doesn't mean there aren't any surprise personnel involved!
@yarbles: it certainly sounds like the next natural step from IC. Quite a few varying sounds in there, reminds me of Teenager Of The Year a little.
@natenate101: Plaster Of Paris is driven by a bouncing bass line. Really fun. Paz's vocals are soft and complementary of FB. Not a direct Kim rip off but harmonies that were missing from IC are present here.
@presley1: No Dave vox! :(
@Stevio10: Baals back is a 1:55 punch in the face.
@Sprite: Afraid I don't know how many tracks were recorded but speculating a post-LP release / lots of b-sides is fun too!
@jake3:
1. the record isn't a rehash of any previous eras, but it does feature more Pix-isms throughout. Talent has a bunch of signature sounds
2. that feedback doesn't appear, may have been on a song that didn't make the cut.
3. my favourites are Masher, Baals, Talent and Plaster. Only one I'm not keen on is All I Think About Now. Paz does a great job at a lead vocal but it sounds too much like a very popular song of theirs that I won't name cos I don't want to plague any of you too.
4. Masher is pure Pixies now. Tempo has increased quite a bit and Santiago bleeds all over it. It's hands down the best song they've recorded since 1991.
5. I have no artwork (yet!)
6. Surprises, hmm. Honestly surprised how great Um Chagga Lagga turned out. Also how natural Paz's presence is.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2016 :  07:29:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wilson, you are the MVP right now man! Thanks for the info. Exciting.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2016 :  08:15:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wilson, you've got me wetting myself now. The first tour date is less than 3 weeks away!
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2016 :  08:22:28  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Wilson! I am ecstatic with anticipation, especially after hearing your praise of Classic Masher. Instantly loved it when I heard Black perform it live solo years ago, to hear that it's even better now just gets me so pumped. :)
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2016 :  11:01:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Wilson: now please tell us the mastering is great and the album does not sound awfully compressed so we can all relax.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

wilson
- FB Fan -

59 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2016 :  13:49:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm not really an audiophile, but it doesn't sound too bad. here's classic masher (top) vs what goes boom (bottom).

http://i.imgur.com/wUxaZof.png
Go to Top of Page

wilson
- FB Fan -

59 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2016 :  14:26:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
obviously not going to leak anything but how much trouble would i be in if i shared a three second clip
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2016 :  14:31:28  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't think that would tell us much more.

You can see it is quite compressed where it is at full volume, where Indie Cindy is ridiculously compressed everywhere.

Edited by - hammerhands on 06/19/2016 14:31:48
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2016 :  16:22:48  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh my golly how i wish that play button worked on that screen grab of the audio files :)
Go to Top of Page

Ecto
- FB Fan -

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2016 :  18:11:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@wilson Is the clip Frank recently posted on Instagram on the album? I can't get the link to work, sorry.
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2016 :  20:43:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you mean his most recent post, that's a Husker Du song called Green Eyes

quote:
Originally posted by Ecto

@wilson Is the clip Frank recently posted on Instagram on the album? I can't get the link to work, sorry.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000