Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2014 :  14:13:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What Goes Boom – Strong, punchy opening, which sonically bridges the gap between ‘Indy Cindy’ and ‘Trompe le Monde’ and contains some of the stronger lyrics on the album. Shame the production isn’t a little rawer and clearer, but that could be said about the majority of the album. 8.5/10

Greens and Blues – Classic Pixies pop, and one of the biggest growers on me. Possibly sounds even better live in acoustic form. 8/10

Indie Cindy – Arguably some of the best versus on the album. Spoken word/singing is something Frank pulls off really well and should be something the Pixies should include more of. Wasn’t a fan initially, not sure why, sounds great. 8.5/10

Bagboy – First song we properly heard from the new batch, and for me the choice cut from the whole album. Contains enough of the old weirdness and mixes it with some great new sounds which blend surprisingly well. Drumming, guitar and vocals are all fantastic. The third verse is mega! This new slightly adjusted ‘Indy Cindy’ version wasn’t completely necessary, but at a push I would agree is slightly better. The first verse is better for missing the backing vocals, but I do miss the continually shifting lyrics later on. Production works best on this song. 9.5/10

Magdalena 318 – Chugs along nicely, one of the more atmospheric songs on the album. 8/10

Silver Snail – The most atmospheric of all the tracks, sounds brilliant, but is one of the songs most hampered by production. Everything sounds too murky. Doesn’t stop it from being fantastic though. 9/10

Blue Eyed Hexe – Works really well positioned after Silver Snail. A good sudden change of sounds. One of the heaviest and incidentally strongest songs on the album. Great to hear Frank scream again. More please! 9/10

Ring the Bell – My least favourite of the bunch. Not a fan of Franks super soft vocals. I hate to say it, but it’s slightly annoying. The verses are nothing more than ‘all right’. 6/10

Another Toe In The Ocean – I think that this is one of least appreciated songs on the album and doesn’t deserve quite the negativity it has received. Sure it’s not exactly classic Pixies, but whatever it is, it does relatively well (in my opinion). The ‘…green, ooohooo I put my toe in the ocean’ and the subsequent guitar riff sounds great to my ears. 7/10

Andro Queen – Beautiful melody. Spanish lyrics. Space themes. The classic Pixies sound is back… 7.5/10

Snakes - …and now it’s gone again ;) Still uncertain over this one, not the strongest lyrically. 6.5/10

Jaime Bravo – Nice intro (though the riff does remind me of an annoying ‘pop-punk’ song I’ve heard somewhere before). Ok melody and lyrics. The Spanish lyrics do sound like they have been crow barred in there though. The track is the obvious closer for the album and would have sound silly anywhere else. The pop is strong with this one. 7/10

Overall it’s a very good album, which shows that the Pixies are still more than capable writing a top tune. The first 7 songs are very strong, however there is a very noticeable dip afterwards. Tempo-wise the album doesn’t change much and would have felt a lot more complete with a song (or two) more up to speed with ‘Crackity Jones’ or ‘The Sad Punk’. I agree with ‘Brank Flack’ and hope that they don’t feel the need to put every song they create on an LP. Hopefully they’ll hold the weaker ones back and maybe release them as b-sides or in a compilation. I do find it strange they decided not to record ‘Classic Masher’ for the album, as it seems to have had a great reception from those who have heard it, and would have probably been in the 8.5-9 range for me. We shall see…
For me the only real issues for me though are the production (I think we can all agree on this) and the album cover, which I was really surprised about as all of Vaughn’s other work (minus EP3) is great. Thankfully the Pixies have been very quick to say that for their subsequent release they are going to explore a rawer sound, something this album was definitely lacking. Hopefully Paz's vocals will emerge too!

It really is great to have them back and I hope we hear more from them sooner than later! – a solid 8/10 maybe 8.5/10

(P.S. I quite like the title, it fits quite nicely with the rest of their albums)

(P.S.S. Forgot to mention, I think the order for the first 7 songs is spot on, they work really well in that arrangement).

New Order:
Bagboy
Blue Eyed Hexe
Silver Snail
What Goes Boom
Indie Cindy
Magdalena 318
Greens and Blues
Andro Queen
Jaime Bravo
Another Toe In The Ocean
Snakes
Ring the Bell

Edited by - jake3 on 03/28/2014 16:49:23
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2014 :  13:15:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If this hasn't been mentioned yet:

The Japan CD version of Indie Cindy has 2 x extra tracks: Monkey Gone To Heaven (Live 2014) plus Nimrod's Son (Live 2014)-

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/HSE-30333

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2014 :  02:45:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very good post and review jake3
I really agree regarding your strong tracks :
Boom as a bridge between Trompe and now
Greens as a grower
Indie Cindy and its fantastic verse
Bagboy as the choice cut (though I like those first backing vocals, and I would have rather taken off some of the subsequent "cover your breath" just before they become too repetitive in the middle, instead of erasing the first occurrences)
Snail as the darkest track
Hexe sounds great, but I can't help feeling it's too much self-referencing for the Pixies

Then I should add that I also like very much the poppier tracks you rate lower. Some of the best Pixies 1.0 tracks are very poppy (Monkey, Dig For Fire, Letter To Memphis...), and I like the hints at something different that I can hear in Snakes, Bell and Jaime. Those are currently my three preferred songs because they sound so unexpected. I understand your criticism (soft vocals, pop-punk riff...), but I can forgive that (which I still can't in Toe because of the terrible chorus). Andro Queen is a disappointment to me, because it was a song I listened to a lot in 2012 (Dubs on drums version), and I think arrangements and production more in the spirit of I Burn Today or Selkie Bride would have been a better fit. Even acoustic versions with Paz are better than the studio version.
I too hope for a rawer sound, and some faster songs, as I guessed from Joey's interview.

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2014 :  05:56:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

For no reason in particular, here's my track-by-track review:

What Goes Boom – one of the best on the album - has that stunningly poppy chorus. One of the few instances on the album where I enjoy the backing harmonies of Dubbs (and Lovering?).

Greens and Blues – Loved it for a while but it's one of the tracks that suffers from being a tad too long. BF's full of passion in both the delivery and lyrics, something you don't hear too often from the man. Songs like Letter to Memphis and The Swimmer. It's great when he's in full flow like that.

Indie Cindy – the beauty of the chorus throws me back to Speedy Marie, just fantastic, while the song features a typically sublime Joey solo. The best chorus to any Pixies song?

Bagboy – One of my biggest gripes with Indie Cindy is the lack of fun inherent in the songs - every album in the past had its fair share of whimsical moments (now it's time to sing the Perry Mason theme, hope everything is alriiiiight, I've Been Tired, etc.) but that hasn't really continued into the present moment. Think Joey or BF even admitted as much in one interview. Most of the songs are too serious or something. Anyway, Bagboy is one of the exceptions. Casting my mind back to last summer when Bagboy came out I enjoyed it a lot - mostly because it sounded like classic Pixies (the buoyant chorus, Joey's excellent guitars, the girl-y harmony) but also cos it sounded like they had fun making it. The ridiculous lyrics and the Manta Ray-esque barking; top chemistry. One minor disappointment about the song, it's a minute or so too long!

Magdalena 318 – Was bowled over hearing this for the first time live in Dublin, mostly because of the cool effects at the beginning and BF & Kim's wonderful combined howling, but then the recorded version sounded a fair bit different and it took me a while to appreciate it. I now consider it one of the best songs on the album. A worthy companion to the other Pixies girls, Ana, Cecilia Ann and Velouria.

Silver Snail – Being honest, I had little hope for this being good. While I enjoyed the lightbulb sun imagery I disliked nearly all the live versions I saw and mainly for one reason - I've never been a fan of that particular vocal style BF adopts. In fact I hate it. Hear also The Water and When The Paint Grows Darker Still. Pains me to say it as I love almost everything by BF but yeah, it just grates on me. Anyway, by some miracle, I actually find the recorded version OK! Not my favourite cut on the album or anything but it's wayyyy better than the live versions - they've actually made it sound sinister on record.

Blue Eyed Hexe – a bit too AC/DC-y like many have said but it's probably the only screaming BF does on the album? And what fucking screaming. Proves he still has it. The lyrics are pretty cool too.

Ring the Bell – It astounds me how many melodies Black can wrangle from his twisted mind. This one is insanely catchy and has been stuck in my head since the first listen. Load your dhoni!

Another Toe In The Ocean – have a feeling that if Gil Norton hadn't meddled with this then it wouldn't be the most notorious song in the Pixies catalogue, the one that spawned a million "WTF iz dis Pixies?!?". As it is the guitars just plod along generically. Not fond of the "I take a drink" bit at the start while once again the song goes on too long. It's not exactly a new thing for the man to end songs by repeating the chorus or title over and over again (Your Mouth Into Mine, Tale of Lonesome Fetter, Lake of Sin, etc) but it's only become majorly noticeable - and dare I say it irritating - on this album. I should focus on the song's positives; it's catchy, very catchy in fact, and I actually find the lyric "no more waiting for the new day / you gotta swim sometimes" a bit inspiring. Also, he sings about an onion patch. Not enough songs reference onion patches.

Andro Queen – A real curveball to start the EP series with this. Can see why some people dislike it but personally I'm a fan. The lyrics are sweet and the melody subtly intoxicating. The Esperanto bit is OK but I don't particularly like the swishy swashy backing vocals. Just listening to this again now and fuck me, it might be my favourite of the new bunch. One of the ways I can tell I like a song is if it transports me somewhere. This one does. Top stuff.

Snakes - Starts off brilliantly - some classic oddball backing noises from Black and then that cool, scratchy guitar but then the verse veers dangerously close to the vocal style I lamented about above. The way the chorus suddenly happens is cool but I'm not so sure about the lyrics. Big fan of the middle of the song when Joey gets to do his thang. Worthwhile just for the crazy shredding around the two minute mark.

Jaime Bravo – pleasant at best and a bit trite at worst, like something current day Bob Mould would end an album with (should clarify I love Bob Mould). Bit obvious I'm still on the fence on this one. Get rid of Dubbs and make it shorter and I'd probably love it. As a closer, Fields of Marigold is better.

Overall it's a decent but flawed album. As someone mentioned earlier, there's too many midtempo songs. It's crying out for a Six Legged Man, Broken Face or Lovely Day. You don't really notice it on the EPs but on Indie Cindy it's obvious.

Maybe it was my own inflated expectations but Pixies vol II has been a tad underwhelming for me. The majority of the songs are decent - some great - but I feel the drib drab nature of their release dampened things. Kinda yearn for the days when BF would fart out an album every ten months. We were spoiled back then. It's FOUR years ago today since NonStopErotik came out! Mad. Anyway, I hope BF resumes his Pollard-esque prolificacy and doesn't feel restricted by the fact he's making music in a band called Pixies again.
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1052 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2014 :  07:37:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The album sounds very good in the end…

What Goes Boom, Greens and Blues, Indy Cyndie, Bagboy and Magdalena 318 are the top songs. Now classics.

The tracks order works really fine and even makes the weakest one (Another Toe) enjoyable right after Ring the Bells. As it was stated before, some songs are too long and would have deserved an edit.

The artwork and the colours are not very nice as well as the new Pixies logo.

For some reasons, the texture of the sound quality seems better to me, but maybe it’s all in my imagination. Another master would have been good but what’s done is done. Let’s hope that future releases will be treated in a more subtle way.
Though Kim Deal is not on the record, her presence can be felt and the lyrics (especially on the first two tracks) definitely seem to deal with her.

Releasing Eps through the year was an experimental way to deliver the tracks.
In my opinion one proper album release would have been a better choice to enjoy all the vibes in order and harmony, but it’s no big deal.

We might expect re-releases of the album with extra tracks in different formats so that even if there are less album consumers, the few remaining might buy several copies. That’s the laws of the market who has to adapt in order to survive like little humans do in the jungle of life.

Anyway, we finally have new music from Pixies in this century and the little story, along with ours, still goes on…

Welcome in advance to the new bass players in the future.
Thanks for all Pixies. Good bye!

++++
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2014 :  23:10:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tend to agree with most assessments where the full album is more palatable and is the best platform for these bunch of songs.

Even the poppier songs from EP3 are great after a couple of listens, very catchy and feels like Indy Cindy will be a great spring/summer album.

While I look forward with anticipation to the next recordings with the lure of a rawer sound, I am really liking how the Pixies went pop with this album, some absolute classics to appreciate today.
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2014 :  11:40:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's funny, I'm blowing hot and cold over all this. It's hard to evaluate the album being so familiar with most of it already. I do really like much of this new stuff, but some it sound so anonymous to me. I have a problem with the lighter, poppier ones particularly. Ring The Bell and Jaime Bravo, for instance - I'm pretty sure they'd make zero impression on me if I didn't know it was Pixies.

Then again, I'll probably love 'em in a few days. Confusing times.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2014 :  13:05:35  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.godisinthetvzine.co.uk/2014/04/01/pixies-indie-cindy-pixiesmusic/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2014 :  14:43:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jake3
Jaime Bravo – Nice intro (though the riff does remind me of an annoying ‘pop-punk’ song I’ve heard somewhere before).

...Buck Rogers - Feeder. Also produced by Gil Norton.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2014 :  18:17:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Jaime Bravo – Nice intro (though the riff does remind me of an annoying ‘pop-punk’ song I’ve heard somewhere before).

Sounds like Weezer to me.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
908 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2014 :  07:17:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Silver Snail – Being honest, I had little hope for this being good. While I enjoyed the lightbulb sun imagery I disliked nearly all the live versions I saw and mainly for one reason - I've never been a fan of that particular vocal style BF adopts. In fact I hate it. Hear also The Water and When The Paint Grows Darker Still. Pains me to say it as I love almost everything by BF but yeah, it just grates on me. Anyway, by some miracle, I actually find the recorded version OK! Not my favourite cut on the album or anything but it's wayyyy better than the live versions - they've actually made it sound sinister on record.

Funny that you say that, it is one of my favourite singing voices of his.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5997 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2014 :  09:04:01  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

quote:

quote:

Oh boy did I love that Buck Rogers song when it came out. Weezer was my favourite band growing up.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2014 :  09:33:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

This really souns Weezer 1.0,to me too, from the first listen
Not a bad thing when it is done right, and with sincerity, which I think it is. Jaime Bravo is my morning track of the week
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2014 :  12:44:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Basically agree with everything The Maharal wrote, although I haven't heard Ep3 yet.
My favorite might still be 'Andro Queen'. It's so simple, but that simple melody just gets me everytime.

Still don't understand the love many people here show for 'Blue Eyed Hexe'. It rocks, yes, but it hasn't one single melodic hook, kind of just repeats itself. Reminds me of Planet of Sound, but without the catchy blues-y riff and less amazing lyrics (even if they are very good).

The pop songs are the ones that bother me the most. 'Greens and Blues' is an ok song, but it still seems very safe for a songwriter as gifted as FB, it just doesn't have anything to grab on to other than sounding good. 'Snakes', for example, has one of my favorite moments on the album, that intro, like The Maharal said, has an oddball thing going on that keeps the song from being just another FB by-the-numbers song. Maybe they could have made an instrumental of that intro, would have been a more interesting tune.

Hopefully, Frank will take more chances with the songwriting in the next album, tap into that left-side brain of his and come up with more unique ideas (which there are plenty on this batch of songs, just wishing for more on a future album).
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2014 :  11:45:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, couldn't resist any longer. Both Ring the Bell and Jamie Bravo (this one is should have been one minute shorter at least), FB doing good pop songs is always a treat, and they both have something that I can't find in Greens and Blues, for example.

Silver Snail is as menacing a song as Frank has done in quite some time. People here were right about it reminding them of Is she Weird or The Water. Very moody song as mentioned before. There's something slightly sinister on these songs that sometimes FB comes up with. Love it. Instant classic?
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2014 :  20:30:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good points. i think Greens and Blues is a great song, with a great chorus, but is somehow soppy, whereas Bell and Jaime Bravo are fun pop gems, with twists and turns. Snail IS sinister, I liked it instantly when I heard the electric solo version in Harrisburg, Abbey Bar, 10 Feb 2013
http://youtu.be/vGotzgVDc3A

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2014 :  15:30:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greens & Blues, slightly boring bridge aside, is one of the best pop/chart songs Frank has ever written IMO. Jamie Bravo is a bit of a jerkoff because it was so obviously written to end the record. it's length and structure betray that fact though. it should have either been a shorter goodbye song or had more words. it's still an enjoyable song. i listen to it enough! i've also gotten used to the clunkier structural aspects of Ring and enjoy it quite a bit. i think Another Toe is the only pooper of the set, and it's pretty forgivable in the larger context of the three EPs.

i still think that on a whole the record is too "full on". it's an exhausting listen (and not in a crazy roller coaster way, in a consistently loud way). i listen to the EPs individually over the Indie Cindy track-listing and likely will continue to do so.

i hope the next record is more open sounding and more varied in tone. quiet loud! but Frank's songwriting has been top notch in this period. Classic Masher shows he's still riding the high. Joey's playing has been wonderful too. however, he needs to be unleashed like on Bagboy.

Edited by - IBreed on 04/07/2014 15:31:35
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2014 :  11:38:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://grantland.com/features/pixies-indie-cindy-thurston-moore-kim-gordon-alternative-icons/
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2014 :  13:07:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

http://grantland.com/features/pixies-indie-cindy-thurston-moore-kim-gordon-alternative-icons/

Well, at the very least this album is better than Reflekfork.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2014 :  18:11:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Champ

quote:

Well, at the very least this album is better than Reflekfork.

I like the album fine, just gotta acknowledge that the reviews haven't been stellar. I normally value Hyden's opinion a bit but this one kinda hurt to read.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2014 :  02:57:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.live4ever.uk.com/2014/04/review-pixies-indie-cindy/
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2014 :  03:32:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the people who are giving the album scathing reviews (it is a good album) really take themselves and music way too seriously. Having a couple joke lyrics in song , especially Pixies, shouldn't even be mentioned in a review. Sure I would put it lower than Trompe, but I have been listening to it far more than FBs releases and it has some of the best songs Pixies have ever made. It is absolutely a criminally underrated album.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2014 :  07:39:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The upside of recent reviews: There's less about Kurt Cobain, sometimes not even mentioning him at all.

The downside of recent reviews: We get the whole rehash of the reunion, over and over. Why? If you're familiar with Pixies, then you know all this. If you're not, who cares? If someone's never heard the Pixies why would they care that this is a reunion album? They just want to know about the quality of the songs.

I wonder if this album is going to have the FBF. The Frank Black Factor where it takes a couple (several?) listens to appreciate. I never thought I'd enjoy Show Me Your Tears but when I was in the right spot, I realized what a great album it is.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2014 :  02:42:43  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/entertainment/music/pixies-reformation-album-indie-cindy-a-minor-miracle-after-two-decades-20140410-36ehy.html

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2014 :  09:29:19  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://louderthanwar.com/pixies-indie-cind-album-review/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2014 :  00:15:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a continuing theme/correlation of the UK/Europe being fairer in their reviews and appreciation than the USA?

Seems that genuine reviews about the music are positive but the hipster media (more interested in the sex and drugs part than the rock 'n roll) likes to dismiss the new stuff...oversimplified probably but thats my impression
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2014 :  22:37:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Walked into a local video shop yesterday to be greeted by a promo for the album running on the TV monitors... I thought "the Pixies are truly back!"
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2014 :  03:43:00  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good to finally listen to the album in full, it flows well and sounds like it could have come between Bossonova and TLM. A solid effort. The female vocals are missed, as is Kim. Sounds more like a Pixies album than a BF solo album. I wish Kim stuck around though and pissed off after she had done the album.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2014 :  21:43:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reviews from yesterday's Guardian and Irish Times:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/apr/17/pixies-indie-cindy-review

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/pixies-indie-cindy-1.1765115
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2014 :  17:13:52  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got my vinyl today - everything sounds great in this sequencing, packaging is awesome, and it's definitely an album. It's also definitely a Pixies album. The post-production still sucks, but it is what it is. Barring that, no complaints whatsoever - Pixies are back, the Norton sessions from quite a while back are all out now (I assume), they popped the new music cherry, and it's time to hear what they have cooking next! I for one can't wait!

"A word to the wise is infuriating."

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 04/19/2014 17:14:40
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2014 :  04:41:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ireland loves the Pixies!

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/68601/planet-of-sound

A quote which goes against popular opinion; "The highlight, though, is the Blackbeard referencing ‘Another Toe In The Ocean’, where the ‘quiet/loud’ dynamic is played most subtly, and perhaps most effectively."

Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2014 :  07:00:10  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

Ireland loves the Pixies!

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/68601/planet-of-sound

A quote which goes against popular opinion; "The highlight, though, is the Blackbeard referencing ‘Another Toe In The Ocean’, where the ‘quiet/loud’ dynamic is played most subtly, and perhaps most effectively."

Haha! Well, as always - to each their own right? I like the song just fine, it just suffers the most of any from the heavy handed post-production is my my only complaint.

Not that anyone cares. I'll listen to it anyway.

"A word to the wise is infuriating."
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1220 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2014 :  14:08:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Galwegians generally have good taste in music.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1220 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2014 :  14:11:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually Dubliners as well. From the Irish Times review

"The skewed pop melodies and twisted riffs are there on Greens and Blues, Magdalena 318, Snakes and Blue Eyed Hexe, while Bagboy, Andro Queen and Another Toe in the Ocean duck and dive with grace and grit"

Maybe this is why I like the 'Toe' song so much.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2014 :  03:46:43  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://thebottomline.as.ucsb.edu/2014/04/two-decades-later-pixies-refuse-to-bite-the-dust

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000