Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2014 :  13:48:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we've more or less got it. what do you think? how does it stack up?

may as well start the discussion now. we've got at least two years before the next pixies record.

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2014 :  16:11:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will discuss in more detail later but here are the tracks in what I believe is best to worst (as of this moment):

Bagboy
Blue Eyed Hexe
Silver Snail
What Goes Boom
Magdalena 318
Greens and Blues
Indie Cindy
Andro Queen
Jaime Bravo
Another Toe In The Ocean
Snakes
Ring the Bell
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2014 :  18:18:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that's an interesting list, jake3. i'm surprised to see another toe toping snakes and ring the bell, but i think i get it. another toe, preference aside, feels more soundly constructed. there's something mashed up about the other two. like whatever inspired them was lost to craft and tinkering.

i've been thinking on this album off and on today. the biggest fault right off the top is that the record is so relentlessly mid-tempo and brick-walled that it can be a slog from beginning to end at best and painful at worst. on that note, the EP format actually makes the songs easier to digest. never thought i'd say that.

i also feel it's sequenced a touch top heavy. it's fantastic 1-6, but loses steam from there.

Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2014 :  21:49:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my take on best to worst, i'm surprised to like EP3 so much
Bagboy
Boom
Indie
Jaime
Snakes
Snail
Greens
Hexe
Magda
Ring
Andro
Toe

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2014 :  21:52:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And I feel next album will come quickly (Una, Tranquilize Me, Alice Prin... seem very ready to me)

--
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2014 :  22:01:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i wonder how much song length had to do with the ordering. but i really like how the double LP is lined up. the only change i would have made was making Andro Queen Side 1 Track 1 and What Goes Boom Side 4 Track 1. Bag boy is right where it belongs Side 2 Track 1. The anticipatory track that makes you want to get up and flip the disc!

"Fundamentally, all writing is about the same thing; it's about dying, about the brief flicker of time we have here, and the frustration that it creates.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2014 :  22:15:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like all the songs, though some are very close to sounding like a different band which feels strange. A few tracks aside, this is well below Pixies 1.0. Misses badly the female element, even for subtle backing vocals. I want more wierd and erratic stuff for future recordings, and maybe with this whole album cycle almost completed, they'll feel more free to let the freak flag fly.

It's all fairly catchy, but the lyrics on some are extremely simples and repetitive as mentioned before. Again, I prefer more clever wordplay from Charles and odd references that send me to google for clarification. I'd bet he's been writing since this stuff was recorded and will be looking to expand the sound now that this thing has taken full flight. They all seem on their game and capable of some classic material. There are some great highs (Portions of Indie Cindy, Hexe, Bagboy) and lows (cover your face, Another Toe's safety and chorus, and the production) but it's been exciting to see them return and put themselves out there under such heavy scrutiny. The fans seem fairly happy and accepting, eager to hear where the band goes now.

I'm just hella happy they are back and making new music, something I'd given up on some time ago. The fellas all come across as appreciative and hungry. More power to them and Life to the Pixies!

Top Notch:
Hexe
Boom (best lyrics on the whole album, just the right amount of quirk.)
Indie
Bagboy
Very solid:
Magdalena
Jamie Bravo
Andro
Enjoyable but flawed:
Greens
Silver Snail
Ring The Bell
Sounds like a different band:
Snakes
Another Toe

Ibreed, not sure I understand why you'd make such a confident statement about the 2 years thing? Charles could have half an album written already, with demos done or close to done. If these were all recorded in 2012, I have a hard time thinking a prolific writer like Charles hasn't gotten a group of tunes down. Let's say they reconvene later this year to record some stuff and continue into early next year. It's conceivable we could hear new stuff as early as next Spring/Summer. You may end being correct, I just never understand why people make such definitive statements about things out of their control or influence.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2014 :  00:24:05  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Things that I love about this album:

1. Lot's of great hooks by Frank. This batch of songs had lot's of potential.
2. Some serious work by Joey, I dig his playing a lot.

Things that bother me:

1. The lenght of the most catchy songs. Another Toe, Ring The Bell, Green, Jamie Bravo are great pop songs, but should have been 2,5 minutes max. They drag. Same thing with Indie Cindy and Bag Boy. At least one chorus too much.
2. The way the lead vocals sound. Too slick or too much compression and lot's of reverb.
3. The lack of a female backing vocal.

My favourite songs: What Goes Boom (instant classic), Magdalena, Indie Cindy, Blue Eyed Hexe

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2014 :  02:49:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IBreed

that's an interesting list, jake3. i'm surprised to see another toe toping snakes and ring the bell, but i think i get it. another toe, preference aside, feels more soundly constructed. there's something mashed up about the other two. like whatever inspired them was lost to craft and tinkering.

i've been thinking on this album off and on today. the biggest fault right off the top is that the record is so relentlessly mid-tempo and brick-walled that it can be a slog from beginning to end at best and painful at worst. on that note, the EP format actually makes the songs easier to digest. never thought i'd say that.

i also feel it's sequenced a touch top heavy. it's fantastic 1-6, but loses steam from there.

Interesting how? It looks somewhat similar to the other lists posted, no?

I think your analysis is pretty much spot on. For me, Snakes doesn't sound like a Pixies song and I'm can't say I'm a fan of Ring the Bell. I'm just not a fan of Frank's bizarrely soft vocals on it. The song just sounds very 'slushy' and dare I say annoying :/

I also agree that the album very top heavy. Those first 7 tracks are my favourite 7 (not to say I don't like the rest). Thinking about it, all Of the Pixies LPs are slightly top heavy.

And yeah,too many mid tempo songs for me.

And the productions naff. As is the album cover, which is weird, as I really like Vaughn's work, minus EP3 which was also pretty bad.

Apart from that everything's golden
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2014 :  05:22:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This album is a solid 7.5 out of 10. It is a good collection of songs and I am glad they made them.
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2014 :  06:28:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jake3- i was surprised to see certain songs in certain places, but it seems like you're not deviating too far from the norm, as you said! bagboy at number 1 was cool... i really like that one too. as for the cover, i'm not into it either. it's just so plain. i'd take any of the EP covers over it.

natenate101- the pixies are on such a big world tour right now that i can't imagine them embarking on another tour without a decent buffer period. had they not started pushing indie cindy i thought maybe they'd have a NEW album out by next year, but now i'm pretty sure that's not on the table. i'm actually a little disappointed they didn't follow through on the EP concept as they said (the album is dead, after all) and move on to recording an all new record for their "1st album since 91!" announcement. that's press you can never get back. plus, leading with classic masher may have earned them some good graces back.

billgoodman- i have to agree with "lots of hooks". it has to be one of Frank's poppiest batch of songs
Go to Top of Page

Oui
- FB Fan -

52 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2014 :  07:11:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Indie Cindy I like to listen too doesn't include bagboy, toe, snakes. Making a nice tight 9 track 33min album. All killer, no filler. And having trouble with the sequence I just put it in reverse alphabetic order...

Go to Top of Page

Oui
- FB Fan -

52 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2014 :  07:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"i'm actually a little disappointed they didn't follow through on the EP concept as they said (the album is dead, after all) and move on to recording an all new record for their "1st album since 91!" announcement. that's press you can never get back. "

Indeed, weird move. Should of just claimed Indie Cindy was a comp. Though, many casual Pixies' fans have no idea that they have released these EPs.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2014 :  07:19:18  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with everyone on here. Good stuff, guys.

That said... Saying the album is a "solid 7.5" (which I agree with) on a Pixies fan forum... Well that's kind of a bit sad, isn't it? A 7.5 on a Pixies fan forum certainly means a 5.3 on metacritic and a 1.0 on pitchfork. If you get what I mean.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2014 :  07:20:50  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Silver Snail / Hexe - great segue!

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2014 :  07:56:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oui

"i'm actually a little disappointed they didn't follow through on the EP concept as they said (the album is dead, after all) and move on to recording an all new record for their "1st album since 91!" announcement. that's press you can never get back. "

Indeed, weird move. Should of just claimed Indie Cindy was a comp. Though, many casual Pixies' fans have no idea that they have released these EPs.

good point. i think this goes a way to showing the lack of viability in going the EP route currently. many bands have gone down this road and discovered the same thing; the LP still rules in promotion and visibility. EP3 being more or less released as an aside to the album announcement is a concession to this, in my opinion.

quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

That said... Saying the album is a "solid 7.5" (which I agree with) on a Pixies fan forum... Well that's kind of a bit sad, isn't it? A 7.5 on a Pixies fan forum certainly means a 5.3 on metacritic and a 1.0 on pitchfork. If you get what I mean.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux

as we've all kinda said in our own way, mostly strong songs individually, but a touch monotonous all placed together. plus, it's all like radio rock from 1998. that's novel nowadays and fun, but most of the weirdness has been ironed out in favor of broadness. what was one of the very first reviews for the record back in 12? "solid, not an embarrassment". i think that's about right.

i thought greens & blues could've been a "hit" for the band, but it was the third single (9th overall?!) from the second EP. not sure why they didn't lead with one of the most obviously pixies sounding songs with the best hook.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2014 :  08:09:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
- Globally, this album is less consistent than Pixies 1.0
I agree that the strong tracks are up there, but some poor tracks make the whole effort a bit weaker.
The overall atmosphere of this album is not easy to define. It was clearer on Surfer Rosa, Doolittle, Bossanova, even on Trompe. Each had a strong identity. Indie Cindy goes several directions at once, and therefore is a bit confusing sometimes. But I like it that way nonetheless. It's like the MBV album of 2013 (more on that later)

- BFs guitars are great. His vocals too, but I'm not always a fan of his soft/ high-pitch style. I prefer the quirky or aggressive mode.

- backing vocals from Dubs et al. are a bit bland. A female presence is needed.

- Joey is very good, a lot of diversity in his playing while still remaining Joey (despite Norton's efforts to lead him outside of his comfort zone, as on Andro Queen or on Toe)

- a bit disappointed by Dave, both in the sound and in the minimalist approach (there are some exceptions, like Bagboy or Ring The Bell). On stage he's terrific, but I can't help thinking that some creativity (without manic drumming) would enhance the songs.

- Many tracks are a bit too long. (Ring The Bell drags, Toe should have been halved, Indie Cindy's intro or final chorus is unnecessary...)

- What I like most is the vocals and lyrics on *some* songs : Boom, Bagboy, Indie Cindy have brilliant lyrics and the vocal rendition is very modern to my ears. The songwriting on Silver Snails, Hexe, Andro Queen is terrific, with lots of puns / wordplay and poetry. On the other hand, some songs have poor lyrics or repetitions (Toe, Magdalena, Snakes chorus). Spanish and Esperanto parts sound a bit contrived though.

- I dislike the production, especially when there's too much reverb on guitars and autotune/smoothing on vocals. And as discussed elsewhere, the mastering is appalling.

- The name « Indie Cindy » is not optimal. I would have preferred some phrase from the lyrics, such as “burgermeister of purgatory”, or “Sir Naff”, or “Killer Whale” (from Silver Snail), or even “Trapezista” (from Jaime Bravo)

- The artwork is a bit hard to the eye, at least the vinyl artwork (the double CD seems nicer). The 40-page booklet looks superb!

- Finally, I'm pleasantly surprised, similarly to MBV latest release, that the first tracks pick up where Trompe Le Monde left off, but then they explore other territories, less usual for the Pixies.

. What Goes Boom, Bagboy and Hexe could have been on Trompe
. Greens and Blues sounds like Gigantic meets I Bleed
. Magdalena 318, Silver Snail, and maybe Indie Cindy are straight from Bossanova
But then, there are some very strange creatures :
. Andro Queen (bizarre structure, bizarre sounds, bizarre drumming)
. Another Toe in the Ocean (rather uninteresting unfortunately)
. I put together Ring the Bell, Snakes and Jaime Bravo, I find those to be stylisticly closer than I first thought. Maybe more Frank Black than Black Francis, but with enough Pixies influence to make them fresh. I don't know if these 3 songs may indicate their next direction, but I like that they did dare record those, which seem unfettered and less Pixies-canon than, say, Hexe or Greens And Blues.

- Very few people on these boards believed it when the first clues appeared that the Pixies were about to record or actually in the studio (Dubs interviewed about doing demos, Violet Clark announcing something big, BF tweeting about being overdue, Joey's check-in in Monmouth, etc.). I'm really happy they wanted to do this album, were able to write it, to tour it and to release it.

The best is undoubtedly yet to come !

--
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2014 :  09:32:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux

I know what you are saying. That said, as a whole it is certainly better than the sum of its EPs. I like it more than I thought I would.
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2014 :  11:21:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
9/10! How she going! Favorites – andro queen, magdalena 318, greens and blues, what goes boom!, ring the bells, Jaime bravo. I have had all the ep’s on regular rotation since they came out. Maybe my ears are going (and i have never been an audiophile) but I can’t really notice any production issues…if it was never brought up on the other threads I wouldn’t have thought twice. I really like the ep idea and rolling out the music every few months. I like the video idea but have to say wasn’t impressed with the majority of the videos. I like bagboy, snakes and android queen…..It would have been cool to have at least 1 video with the band in it….frank is great on the bigscreen! Headache, los angeles, men in black, here comes your man...the concert footage has been great! All said and done I’m pretty impressed with what they have done with the new music.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"...long live snitz!!
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2014 :  11:36:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

- Globally, this album is less consistent than Pixies 1.0
I agree that the strong tracks are up there, but some poor tracks make the whole effort a bit weaker.
The overall atmosphere of this album is not easy to define. It was clearer on Surfer Rosa, Doolittle, Bossanova, even on Trompe. Each had a strong identity. Indie Cindy goes several directions at once, and therefore is a bit confusing sometimes. But I like it that way nonetheless. It's like the MBV album of 2013 (more on that later)

- BFs guitars are great. His vocals too, but I'm not always a fan of his soft/ high-pitch style. I prefer the quirky or aggressive mode.

- backing vocals from Dubs et al. are a bit bland. A female presence is needed.

- Joey is very good, a lot of diversity in his playing while still remaining Joey (despite Norton's efforts to lead him outside of his comfort zone, as on Andro Queen or on Toe)

- a bit disappointed by Dave, both in the sound and in the minimalist approach (there are some exceptions, like Bagboy or Ring The Bell). On stage he's terrific, but I can't help thinking that some creativity (without manic drumming) would enhance the songs.

- Many tracks are a bit too long. (Ring The Bell drags, Toe should have been halved, Indie Cindy's intro or final chorus is unnecessary...)

- What I like most is the vocals and lyrics on *some* songs : Boom, Bagboy, Indie Cindy have brilliant lyrics and the vocal rendition is very modern to my ears. The songwriting on Silver Snails, Hexe, Andro Queen is terrific, with lots of puns / wordplay and poetry. On the other hand, some songs have poor lyrics or repetitions (Toe, Magdalena, Snakes chorus). Spanish and Esperanto parts sound a bit contrived though.

- I dislike the production, especially when there's too much reverb on guitars and autotune/smoothing on vocals. And as discussed elsewhere, the mastering is appalling.

- The name « Indie Cindy » is not optimal. I would have preferred some phrase from the lyrics, such as “burgermeister of purgatory”, or “Sir Naff”, or “Killer Whale” (from Silver Snail), or even “Trapezista” (from Jaime Bravo)

- The artwork is a bit hard to the eye, at least the vinyl artwork (the double CD seems nicer). The 40-page booklet looks superb!

- Finally, I'm pleasantly surprised, similarly to MBV latest release, that the first tracks pick up where Trompe Le Monde left off, but then they explore other territories, less usual for the Pixies.

. What Goes Boom, Bagboy and Hexe could have been on Trompe
. Greens and Blues sounds like Gigantic meets I Bleed
. Magdalena 318, Silver Snail, and maybe Indie Cindy are straight from Bossanova
But then, there are some very strange creatures :
. Andro Queen (bizarre structure, bizarre sounds, bizarre drumming)
. Another Toe in the Ocean (rather uninteresting unfortunately)
. I put together Ring the Bell, Snakes and Jaime Bravo, I find those to be stylisticly closer than I first thought. Maybe more Frank Black than Black Francis, but with enough Pixies influence to make them fresh. I don't know if these 3 songs may indicate their next direction, but I like that they did dare record those, which seem unfettered and less Pixies-canon than, say, Hexe or Greens And Blues.

- Very few people on these boards believed it when the first clues appeared that the Pixies were about to record or actually in the studio (Dubs interviewed about doing demos, Violet Clark announcing something big, BF tweeting about being overdue, Joey's check-in in Monmouth, etc.). I'm really happy they wanted to do this album, were able to write it, to tour it and to release it.

The best is undoubtedly yet to come !

--

Agree on most of this, especially the bolded parts. More aggressive BF por favor.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2014 :  22:55:22  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux

Yep, it's pretty sad. I wouldn't rank this above most of Frank solo releases. Altough I'm really glad Joey is back at his side.

Oh and yes, lot's of good points in this topic.

- the artwork is a bit of a letdown although some of the illustrations are ace.
- IBreed is totally right about the album announcement. This music is from october 2012. This could have been marketed as a compilation and leave the option of a real new album open.
- releasing ep3 and anouncing indie cindy together seems like a sudden change of plans.

Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2014 :  06:32:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

quote:

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux

Yep, it's pretty sad. I wouldn't rank this above most of Frank solo releases. Altough I'm really glad Joey is back at his side.

- IBreed is totally right about the album announcement. This music is from october 2012. This could have been marketed as a compilation and leave the option of a real new album open.
- releasing ep3 and anouncing indie cindy together seems like a sudden change of plans.

Unless they wanted to lessen the blow of announcing the long awaited LP with no 'new' music, by announcing it alongside, new music (EP3).
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2014 :  09:24:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kind of a mess, the whole album, Eps, comp. thing. And the artwork screams compilation. But I'm still happy they released an cd without the tracklist being just Ep1+Ep2+Ep3. The "proper new album since 91" press will still happen, if they want it.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2014 :  09:30:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wouldn't rank this above most of Frank solo releases.

I for one totally rank Indy Cindy above any FB/BF solo release, yes even TOTY (obese pop opera), Christmass (brilliant patchwork) or Bluefinger (partial resurrection)
There are several gems even by Pixies standards.And at last a world of opportunities

--
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2014 :  09:38:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still haven't heard Ep3, I'm going to wait for the deluxe cd thing to arrive, have a few surprises waiting. But since when has FB solo albums not been front-loaded? Unless you're counting his first solo album, or the twenty-something records, almost all the 12-13 albums are front-loaded. Even Bluefinger. Even Dog in the Sand. They all reach the 6-7-8 track and the quality drops. Maybe NSE is the exception to this, but I can't compare this new batch of songs to the NSE ones. He's never seemed interested in saving songs (until now, Classic Masher and others it seems...). Like he said, he seems to work like a sponge. The sponge use to have 14-15 amazing songs in it, each year, every year, in his early career. This new batch could be better, yes, better produced, the songs a bit shorter, trimmer, more poetry and obscure references in the lyrics, but I'm still very happy with the end result.
Looking forward to future albums.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2014 :  10:25:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jake3

quote:

quote:

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux

Unless they wanted to lessen the blow of announcing the long awaited LP with no 'new' music, by announcing it alongside, new music (EP3).

Record Store Day.
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2014 :  12:01:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I for one totally rank Indy Cindy above any FB/BF solo release, yes even TOTY (obese pop opera)

I nominate this for the new Nadir of the Board award.
Go to Top of Page

ricj
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2014 :  12:50:11  Show Profile  Visit ricj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The things I love most about the album are Andro Queen, Greens & Blues, Silver Snail, Indie Cindy

The things I dislike most are the title of the album and Ring the Bell which just irritates the hell out of me for some reason to the point I frantically skip it as soon as it comes on...
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2014 :  14:28:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i've gotta say, Frank really did up his game pop writing wise on this record. enjoy all the songs or no, he showed a tremendous dedication to going big or going home. for a dude 50+ and in the biz since the late-80s, that's mighty impressive.

like Pixies name aside, this is a triumph for him as a writer. he's never come up with a collection that's this catchy and dedicated to pop writing.

Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2014 :  15:10:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BLT

quote:

I for one totally rank Indy Cindy above any FB/BF solo release, yes even TOTY (obese pop opera)

Meh, I'd pretty much agree :p (Maybe not the self-titled orange/yellow album though).
Go to Top of Page

ChienAndalou22
- FB Fan -

58 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2014 :  16:41:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To me the news in general is just a disappointment. I think all in all it's definitely fair to say there's an unfair narrative put on the band as they are now as the sort of bad guys with Kim Deal having left, and Kim Shattuck gone. I think there's a lot of nostalgia that comes with new material after so long and it's always going to be hard for people to accept something that, after 23 years, sounds different. I'd be kidding myself though if I thought that the new stuff could compare to the old stuff, and I think harsh criticism from the likes of Pitchfork and the other big sites is inevitable, a lot of which will be knee-jerk and self-absorbed. To me though (and it always is subjective) there's a few good songs amongst the 12 but the production in the way the vocals are presented really kills off what you'd expect of the Pixies. I like Bagboy but the rest seem weirdly polished and echo-ey, and a couple like Another Toe are such a departure from what you'd expect. I really don't think the idea of promoting 12 songs which anyone really interested has heard, or could at least easily hear, as a new studio album works; there's no anticipation for what's coming and if you have the 12 across 3 EPs, what are you paying for with the album? The whole thing about legacy though is shit because the original stuff's there no matter what happens and if something comes out which isn't as well-received it doesn't affect that. I think the cynicism people have towards Indie Cindy and the idea behind it could skew the reaction to what will follow but I suppose ultimately if you're happy with things nothing else matters.
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2014 :  08:47:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jake3

quote:
Originally posted by BLT

quote:

Meh, I'd pretty much agree :p (Maybe not the self-titled orange/yellow album though).

I've been listening to the Pixies since '89 and I value Teenager of the Year alone more than their entire output.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2014 :  09:39:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BLT
I've been listening to the Pixies since '89 and I value Teenager of the Year alone more than their entire output.

Hey, you're entitled to your own tastes and opinions.
but as much as I loved TOTY when it was released, and listened to it a zillion times, I consider in retrospect that I adored it because I was missing the Pixies.
And my tastes towards FB have evolved, in the sense that I don't like anymore the era when he wrote very playful and easy-listening songs (like Headache, FuManchu...). All the more so when the production reinforces this kind of "childish-but-already-outdated" tonality (can't stand the sound of drums and bass on TOTY, total opposite to the Pixies, and Drew Feldman irritates me a bit). Call it obsessive, but I really missed Lovering, Santiago (mostly marginally present) and Deal when I listened to TOTY, and having them back (minus Deal) and vital in Indie Cindy is such a joy, because they were the ones who were away all these years, Charles never ceased to release songs. Ah, if only the Pixies could have played Los Angeles, Ten Percenter, Brackish Boy, Czar, Thalassocracy, Freedom Rock, Ole Mulholland... THAT could have been a top album...

I consider any Pixies album better than TOTY (wikipedia calls it his best post-Pixies moment!), and better than the whole Catholics output. Not just because of my memories, but because of the test of time as well. My preferred FB album is Honeycomb (believe it or not), because it's really deep and moving, whereas I found Orange, TOTY, CoR... somehow superficial, with too much emphasis on formal pop perfection, which I now find vain, where the Pixies were always making perfect pop songs PLUS extremely deviant. Bluefinger succeeded in tapping into this vein, though lacking Joey.

Still, I'm not nominating you for the Nadir of this forum.
Pot and Fissile say hi (probably nominated before me, for all the wrong reasons)

--

Edited by - sdon on 03/28/2014 09:52:21
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2014 :  10:08:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with a lot of comments on here. I'll echo what I said on the EP3 release thread.
- I think the album starts off VERY strong from What Goes Boom to Blue Eyed Hexe, but then the album really declines by including the more poppy and generic songs together at the end (save for Andro Queen). Perhaps the last few songs would be easier to live with had the vocals not been so over-produced, the instrumental tracks given room to breath, and the run-times cut down. I would have saved many of the final songs as b-sides and gone with a shorter album. 35-40 minutes is plenty.
- Why they chose the album artwork and name as they did is a bit baffling.

Still, I think the highs overweight the lows. What Goes Boom, Indie Cindy, Magdalena, Blue Eyed Hexe, Greens and Blues, Silver Snail, and Andro Queen can all hold their own amongst the classic material in my opinion.
I am excited for what comes next. My two biggest hopes are:
1) They address the production/mastering. This does not necessarily mean ditching Gil who did good work on many songs. It just means avoiding over production on things like vocals, and letting the music breath in the mastering process.
2) That they don't feel the need to release every song recorded or necessarily fill more than 40+ minutes or 12 songs. If they only have 6-8 top notch songs, release those ones as a mini LP like Come on Pilgrim or Svn Fngrs (which I think is one of Frank's more successful solo works, which benefited by not including Serious Curious). Leave the padding for b-sides or bonus songs.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2014 :  11:44:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All those songs are already classics to me. Including Another Toe. Yep.

The only song I don't really like is Bagboy (maybe only because of the annoying "cover your breath/teeth" parts...). As soon as EP-1 was released, I took me very little time to like it. Same for EP2 & EP3.

My only real disappointement is how those records sounds. That HORRIBLE compression that (nearly) ruins everything. Come on, those EPs just sound AWFUL. That's a SHAME !!!

Apart from that pretty irritating fact, I love Pixies 2.0.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2014 :  13:47:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no idea what the future of the Pixies is, nor do I care to guess. I like surprises. However, I don't think this album necessarily signals a change in direction.

A popular band puts out a series of limited EPs that sell out lickety-split. It only makes sense to reissue them and it makes even more sense to do it all on one convenient release that collects everything. That's all this is.

Maybe THIS is how they'll do things. Put out some very limited short-form releases and then collect it all every six months or year or whatever. Or not. WE'LL SEE.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000