= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  19:02:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:
Originally posted by s_wrenn
And for the record, if a new line up of the pixies was to tour, I would not like to hear a different vocalist doing Gigantic, that would suck.

Totally not interested in a Pixies tour w/o Kim.

I am, can't wait. Sounds like a lot of others on here will be too.
Looking forward to tommorow's news.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  19:07:39  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Interested in a BF and others tour for half the price of what a nearly the Pixies tour will be. £30 odd quid for a gigantic venue with no atmosphere, no thanks.

Maybe there will be a surprise album release today?
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  19:45:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Interested in a BF and others tour for half the price of what a nearly the Pixies tour will be. £30 odd quid for a gigantic venue with no atmosphere, no thanks.

Maybe there will be a surprise album release today?

Guess we have to see the show dates and venues before we determine if they will be good value for money, eh? But BF, Joey and Dave doing Pixies, old and new? Count me in without hesitation.

An album release would be crazy. Not seeing it. I think Bagboy was a feeler, to check on interest level and overall acceptance to Pixies without Kim. Plan some tour dates, release the actual single during or right before, then album/ep to follow.
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  20:04:21  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
see it's been announced that Kim Shattuck is the new bassist.
http://www.pixiesmusic.com/2013/07/introducing/
nothing surprising there.
and the tour:
http://pixiesmusic.com/new/
hopefully it's new music as well as old or it's all a bit 'old'.

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  20:15:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahhhh ! The website is talking about new material.

I can't wait !

Will be at the brussels concert !

Maybe Kim left because she didn't like the new songs or didn't have much sung parts on the them. Well, she almost didn't sang on Trompe le Monde, and still this is probably my favorite Pixies album. (Sad Punk a totally epic tune).

PS: Would be totally awesome to see Eric Drew Feldman as a guest onstage playing along to some Trompe le Monde stuff. I really enjoy Pixies late stuff Bossanova-TLM...

Edited by - picpic on 06/30/2013 20:17:48
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  21:50:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The idea of a slightly different Pixies playing new material, personally, increases my interest in a tour about 700 times. I'd love to hear what that's like. (I don't hate Kim Deal--I just don't consider the original line-up sacred.)

Plus, I love Kim Shattuck. She's a brilliant pop songwriter in her own right and a great singer.

Fun fact: She's one of the few singers who've covered both solo Frank Black and post-Pixies Kim Deal songs on record. Her band, The Muffs, covered Kim Deal's "Pacer" (from The Amps album) for a B-side about fifteen years ago and a side-project she was in, The Beards, covered Frank Black's "Thallasocracy" (she sang it) for their one album about 12-13 years ago.

Edited by - Jason on 06/30/2013 21:53:25
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  22:09:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

The idea of a slightly different Pixies playing new material, personally, increases my interest in a tour about 700 times. I'd love to hear what that's like. (I don't hate Kim Deal--I just don't consider the original line-up sacred.)

Plus, I love Kim Shattuck. She's a brilliant pop songwriter in her own right and a great singer.

Fun fact: She's one of the few singers who've covered both solo Frank Black and post-Pixies Kim Deal songs on record. Her band, The Muffs, covered Kim Deal's "Pacer" (from The Amps album) for a B-side about fifteen years ago and a side-project she was in, The Beards, covered Frank Black's "Thallasocracy" (she sang it) for their one album about 12-13 years ago.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing that.
And hey, even hearing what Kim sounds like on the old tunes should be interesting.

Edited by - natenate101 on 06/30/2013 22:33:13
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  22:17:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those videos of BF and Kim Shattuck at the Lyric Theatre are lovely. 'Classic Masher' sounded great.
Go to Top of Page

brickisred
- FB Fan -

France
141 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  22:36:37  Show Profile  Visit brickisred's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Got my tickets for the Paris one.
Go to Top of Page

Lex
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  02:51:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm really nervous about NOT getting a London ticket tomorrow!!!!???
Listening to BAGBOY now........all it is is GREAT!!!!!

PIXIES overload these last few days.......weird NEW excitement....last felt in 2004!!!!!

GOD BAGBOY IS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  04:02:22  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQgxnGaTsA8 Here's Thallasocracy!

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  04:17:02  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That's a great cover

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  04:57:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And, for good measure, here's the Muffs covering "Pacer":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVuPt76kh6s
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  05:18:14  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great cover...Pacer is one of my all-time favorite rock records. I think the Pixies probably found the right person for the job.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  06:38:33  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Definitely Kim singing backs. But she only sings one line and it's repeated over and over again, so maybe that's all her input to this song is. Ding on bass and Dubs on harmonica?
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  07:13:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi!
I like that song & I don't care much who's playing on it.

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  07:43:48  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been saying this for a long time, they need to experiment with a few other musicians. But first we need a new song that has all four original member in it. That's what this is, it's the last Pixies song that Kim will ever appear in and a bridge between the old and the new, the tangerine at the bottom of the Xmas stocking if you like.

Roll on 5 more post Pixies albums, it will by interesting with the new Kim and who knows who else. Nothing will ever compare to their earlier stuff though but who knows they might churn out a few classics that will be equally memorable within their own time. I don't it will be Bag Boy though, let's hope they make something a bit greater than on the good side of mediocrity, which is my opinion of Bag Boy. I've lost interest already in it.

Then again I didn't really take to TLM at first either.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  08:01:52  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Still doesn't sound like Kim and I'm positive Frank himself said it was Jeremy Dubs

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  08:20:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kind of conflicted about the news. Talking about new songs is welcome, but I hate it that the announcement of "new material" and songs that they never played seems more like a way to validate another endless tour than actual enthusiasm to release a new album, as if a new album is just an afterthough.

I would be so much thrilled to go see them again if I knew what they're going to do with the new material, this almost seems like they're announcing new tasty treats to keep the setlist a bit more interesting and get people to buy tickets (even though we know the new songs are real, with all the other titles in that BMI site).

But I fucking love 'Bagboy'. And I don't really mind that Kim Deal isn't going to be on stage, even if the idea of her not being there still feels weird at the moment. Just... don't string this out indefinitely. Again.
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  08:21:09  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
so who the heck is playing the bass? who is singing that high part on the chorus? who is playing that sweet harmonica?

ding- bass
dubs-back vox on chorus
joey n dave-back vox

kim d does not appear on any of our new material.
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  08:24:08  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
there's a harmonica?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  08:24:55  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blckfrncswho is playing that sweet harmonica?

Good question.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  08:30:23  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok then. How and what was the point in getting a man to sing backing vocals, only to then make them sound exactly like a Kim Deal sample?

Do you think we want that?

I just want honest music in whatever form it comes out. You are not the same Pixies you were before. Please leave trying to sound like the past and just go with the flow.

We'd all probably like to hear something from what you recorded with Kim in Wales anyway, even if it's shite.

Edited by - pot on 07/01/2013 08:31:55
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  08:39:25  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The fives piles of books with the plates on top bag boy smashes mat 2 minutes. Do they represent the 5 original Pixies albums in some way? The bath tub full of cheerios.. do they represent the pharmaceutical cupboard in the house the boy raids, and the balloons the unfolding psychedelic trip he has from taking some of them.

p.s. do I win a prize for being the first member of FB.net to notice there was harmonica in it?
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  08:42:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pot, please speak for YOU
and not WE. Your opinions and desires are your own.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  08:46:17  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
natenate101, please allow me to express myself in whatever language I feel necessary. I know what I am saying, even though sometimes i can't remember the next day (often a good thing). I wont dance round your inability to comprehend me. When I say we, I mean my perception of we, obviously.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  08:49:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot I've lost interest already in it.

If that's the case why do you keep posting about Bagboy? You're worse than Fissile now. Have to echo natenate as well - speak for yourself.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  08:49:51  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You never cease to amaze me, pot. Getting into fights with forum members is one thing, but personally attacking BF himself is quite the feat.

FYI, the backing vocals don't sound like Kim. They just don't. Maybe you didn't pay attention or maybe you only listened to it through your PC speakers. To me the last note kind of sounds a bit like Kim but the rest doesn't.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  08:50:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My comprehension of your approach and attempts at humor is lacking, for sure. I just thunk you have a lot of nerve telling the man who wrote all this fantastic music over the years how to do his job. It's silly. I'm along for the ride, wherever they take me and I don't won't my opinions of what they should do effect the way they actually approach the process.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  08:50:52  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matto

hey pot, I like you man, but can you just please stop posting as much? Why do you go out and find yourself a nice girl and settle down...

I'm having trouble locating the harmonica as well. Amazingly though just as I was typing that I heard it, and it's at 2m19s into the song.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  08:51:32  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I noticed your posts this morning were coherent and respectful. Do you post drunk and/or high in the evenings? I don't think that's doing you any good.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  08:55:36  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

My comprehension of your approach and attempts at humor is lacking, for sure. I just thunk you have a lot of nerve telling the man who wrote all this fantastic music over the years how to do his job. It's silly. I'm along for the ride, wherever they take me and I don't won't my opinions of what they should do effect the way they actually approach the process.

I'm not telling anyone how to do anything. I'm sure Charles is cool with everything I'm saying as with everything else. I just gave my honest opinion of it, I also don't think I was being negative because I spoke positively about future music and with anticipation.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  08:57:29  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

You never cease to amaze me, pot. Getting into fights with forum members is one thing, but personally attacking BF himself is quite the feat.
Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux

This place never ceases to amaze me. I'm just expressing my views. I'm not trying to get into a fight with anyone, not least Charles. What the fuck is you problem?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  09:01:27  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Why is everyone always up my ass these days? What the fuck it's like any reason to have a go at anyone. It's not just me as well it's other people, the same ones attacking the same ones. Grow up, if any of you are actually capable of holding down an intellectual conversation about anything. Only reason I still come here is because Charles occasionally pops his head round and says something, and the two or three other members who are fun and interesting to talk to.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  09:02:38  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
great, yeah top of page 8 for that, that's what I wanted. Off to listen to some Waxahatchee now, then masturbate over Kristin Hersh before and after she became a lesbian
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000