pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  12:52:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Homers_pet_monkey

Hi tro - yep still on the trains.

I forgot about that - belated congratulations Stu. I hope your next visit to Wembley is not a happy one though.

I'd walk her everyday, into a shady place

Thanks homers. We've got a 100% win record at the new Wembley, you have been warned! (Yeah, two matches... it still counts!)

Hope to see you stick around here for a bit.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  13:30:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

I think the production is quite good and the addition of some electronic elements worked very well. I love when the drums really kick in around 4:05.

Yeah, agree with you. The final (4th?) verse is fantastic. Best lyrics of the track, the guitars, drums, ends with a flurry.

Also agree with Maharal about Joey's sublime guitar and Franks yelps giving me goosebumps and making me smile. There is enough recognizable Pixies-ish elements here to keep me happy.

Read Charles' tweets in regards to the song, interesting as hell. Some shitting on the "imitation Kim vocals" and Charles replies with "in fact, its not an imitation. It just happenedone day. That's the way it sounded. We kept it. We liked it." What a great reply.

Another gem. A follower tweets to Charles "Not sure what to make of the new Pixies track". Charles replies," I know how you feel! The song perplexes me a bit, too. Seriously! But it has settled for the moment at this recording". Sounds to me like they are still working through stuff and finding the final mixes they prefer.

Edited by - natenate101 on 06/29/2013 13:39:02
Go to Top of Page

Jettison
- FB Fan -

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  15:39:43  Show Profile  Visit Jettison's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Woot!
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
944 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  15:43:45  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Of interest for the "not an album" convo and possible future(s):

Pixies release new single 'Bagboy' as BitTorrent bundle (video)
http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/28/pixies-bagboy-bittorrent/

..."As a bonus, the band will send MP3s of their entire 2004 Coachella set to your inbox."
http://bundles.bittorrent.com/pixies/
http://blog.bittorrent.com/2013/06/28/new-music-from-pixies/

and FWIW the song has grown on me like hot moss

Edited by - matto on 06/29/2013 15:44:55
Go to Top of Page

houstonguthrie
- FB Fan -

187 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  17:30:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pretty freaking cool - definitely needs the full blown stereo sound to fully appreciate. I was hearing it on my ipad through the dinky little ipad speakers earlier and felt kinda meh about it but when I got plugged in with the headphones it really leapt right out at me and grabbed me by the boo boo - played a buncha times not out of any sort of sense of obligation or curiosity or anything but just cuz it was grabbing me and I wanted to hear it again - (good sign!!)

folks are saying "Sevn Fingers" - to me it's reminding me a lot of the vibe that Joey and Dave had going on their Everybody project - there were some really great kickass sounds in that Everybody thing

saw Frank solo electric not long ago in Chapel Hill and he really was in just fine fine form - singing and playing as good as I'd ever heard him

so pretty freaking excited about hearing some new Frank music. I'll take it in any form. I'm interested in iphone recordings from around the backyard campfire. But if it's gonna be a full blown studio production with Pixies personnel on it - then Hell Yeah come on!!! boys!! let's get on with making some music already!!!

Edited by - houstonguthrie on 06/29/2013 17:38:24
Go to Top of Page

switchy
- Gigographer -

324 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  19:28:09  Show Profile  Visit switchy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Listened to the song once and honestly, I don't think I need to ever listen to it again. So I guess, count me among those who think the Pixies should call it a day.

I remember Jeremy from the old Abstract Plain mailing list years ago. While it's cool a genuine Frank fan managed to kinda become a semi-member of the Pixies, I never liked the guy much, gotta say. So that doesn't do anything for me.

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  21:00:28  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh boy, that Abstract Plain list....

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
- FB Fan -

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  21:55:06  Show Profile  Visit Mickey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hey, if it weren't for abstract plain we wouldn't have this site

-Mickey
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  00:42:04  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah!

And what about Frank Black for President or that great site The Black Vault.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  00:48:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by switchy

Listened to the song once and honestly, I don't think I need to ever listen to it again. So I guess, count me among those who think the Pixies should call it a day.

I remember Jeremy from the old Abstract Plain mailing list years ago. While it's cool a genuine Frank fan managed to kinda become a semi-member of the Pixies, I never liked the guy much, gotta say. So that doesn't do anything for me.

Each to their own and all that, but really, just one listen?

Some of my favourite FB releases have needed a few spins to worm their way into my head.

In my opinion this one takes a bit to weave its magic, their is a layering in the build up. It is very Fall like in that respect.
Personally i Iove it and am excited to hear more, so when people say I think they should call it a day, it comes across as fairly blinkered and selfish. Not saying you are, but that's how it reads. If YOU don't like it, fair enough, but some people obviously do and they are happy that the Pixies are continuing.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  00:59:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam

quote:

Some of my favourite FB releases have needed a few spins to worm their way into my head.

In my opinion this one takes a bit to weave its magic, their is a layering in the build up. It is very Fall like in that respect.
Personally i Iove it and am excited to hear more, so when people say I think they should call it a day, it comes across as fairly blinkered and selfish. Not saying you are, but that's how it reads. If YOU don't like it, fair enough, but some people obviously do and they are happy that the Pixies are continuing.

Yeah that and sean's post in particular has changed my view on it. I'm not blown away by Bagboy but it has really whetted my appetite for further releases which won't all sound the same I'm sure. I hope tranny's wrong about other songs all being 4 minutes plus. I need to hear punchy 2 minute ditties before I'm truly converted.

brickisred
- FB Fan -

France
141 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  01:47:19  Show Profile  Visit brickisred's Homepage  Reply with Quote

The Pixies has a tremendous impact on my musical tastes. They led me to the discovery of other bands I would later adore. Not necessarily bands sounding like them. I owe to the Pixies my taste for sophisticated and melodic 60's pop rock for instance.

On the other hand, they also long prevented me from listening to some music that was too far from the multiple things I liked in them.

For long, I had this prejudice that I could not appreciate a song that lasts more than 3 minutes or so. I still have difficulties to get over this. But the thing is, some songs I adore are very long, so I know it is for me an a priori I should get rid of.

The length of Bagboy works perfectly for me. I actually find it very short. There is a crescendo building that makes not a single second too much. If the other songs are that long but with this type of build up, no problem for me. I trust BF and the band in their ability not to extend longer than necessary.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  02:17:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brickisred

I had this prejudice that I could not appreciate a song that lasts more than 3 minutes or so. I still have difficulties to get over this.

I should have been clearer. I meant a mix of short and longer songs. Not just longer songs as tranny suggests.

kotvana
- FB Fan -

Israel
99 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  03:03:14  Show Profile  Visit kotvana's Homepage  Click to see kotvana's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You can appreciate the amazing structure of this song when you hit "repeat" and recognize the lazy bass-line in the beginning is actually hinting the chorus.

frank blak/saved my life
visit me! http://kotvana.googlepages.com
Go to Top of Page

wilson
- FB Fan -

59 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  03:19:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
does this mean joey finally gets a mic?
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  07:16:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

quote:
Originally posted by brickisred

I had this prejudice that I could not appreciate a song that lasts more than 3 minutes or so. I still have difficulties to get over this.

I should have been clearer. I meant a mix of short and longer songs. Not just longer songs as tranny suggests.

I'm hoping for a mix of the two as well. Though, even with a 4+ running time, this song doesn't feel like a long one when listening. That's a good thing.

Fun fact: Bossanova and Trompe are tied with regards to 4+ minute songs, with 2 apiece. Having the majority of the songs be close to 4 minute mark would be a huge shift in the Pixies legacy.

Edited by - natenate101 on 06/30/2013 07:19:53
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  07:37:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bagboy isn't a great song* by any means, but it's an excellent 'performance piece'. Cool/funny lyrics, Joey's guitar, Dave's big drums, a wacked out arrangement, "girl" backing vox... I suppose the only thing missing to make it archetypal Pixies is the band clipping a bar during the chorus!

*to qualify this, I mean in the (broad) Led Zeppelin sense. Often Pixies songs don't make great covers (stuff like Velouria excepted), because it's the *performance* you want to hear.

With that in mind, it's a great reintroduction to the band. All of the components are there (even the Kim-y backing vocals). Plus, we all know more traditional stuff like Classic Masher and Greens and Blues are coming down the pipeline for us to enjoy very soon!
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  07:50:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floop

i like Jason's post too, though i would take argument with it (even though Jason doesn't argue). it's a bit extreme to suggest that everyone else is expecting some kind mind blowing song that will save their life. with Jason it almost sounds like he's lowered his expectations. or, is ok with just a "cool rock song". i agree that it would be unrealistic to expect it to sound like the Pixies 22 years ago. but there is some middle ground between mind blowing and "it's good enough"

for me, if they are going to release a new album i'm going to compare it to their past work. how can i not?

maybe with other music just a cool rock song would be good enough for me .. some song on the radio that i'll enjoy for what it is. but with Pixies it's different.

does that mean if i'm disappointed i'm going to sink into a deep depression or put out a youtube video of me crying? no. but i'm going to honest about it however it comes out. i still look forward to the new album, but admittedly with trepidation

i know, i'm no fun

green star member since 2006. smb?

fair point on all accounts and i somewhat agree with your disagreement to Jason's point.

this pixie's fan feels like even if the new album is the worst of their discography it will most likely be a whole lot better than other recordings in my collection. i just really hope we get an opportunity to hear bagboy within an artist-chosen collection of songs ordered to their heart's desire and presented as they see fit (as long as it's not a series of e-releases, eps, or 7" singles) frankly, i would find that to be more of a letdown than a full-length "pixies' dud"....

IMHO

PS. looking forward to the first youtube video of pixies fan crying...who will it be?
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  10:07:32  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This sounds like Kim vocals to me. Frank's comments on the topic don't seem very clear to me.

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  10:09:03  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When is anything Frank says clear?
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  11:01:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

quote:
Originally posted by Sam

quote:

Yeah that and sean's post in particular has changed my view on it.

for me Sean's post didn't have the same impact. it almost had the opposite effect to be honest, in some ways. agree to disagree?

green star member since 2006. smb?
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  12:55:57  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am fucking giddy - I can't believe it! Loving the new track. First pass was an eyebrow raiser (Seus?), but 2nd onward it's killer.

Obviously, this can only mean one thing.

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  13:03:19  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I miss melody.

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  13:05:20  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae4zl94u61w
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  13:21:38  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bag Boy - The Film

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0906325/
Go to Top of Page

s_wrenn
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1851 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  14:11:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel I should elaborate on how I feel about Bagboy (since I didn't have the time when I originally posted)

When I got the Bagboy email that linked to the stream/download link, I had an instant giddiness. I arrived on the page and suddenly my cynicism kicked in.
The first thing that came in to my mind was "that's not the Pixies 'P' what's the deal with that?" In other words, I was being a dick about the relevance of a font.
So my expectations had already been set to sceptical (that and the fact that Bam Thwok had left me uninterested in new pixies content)
And yet when I had listened to half of Bagboy I was completely invested in it.
I later read that there was speculation as to whether Kim was on the track or not, which was disappointing to say the least, but when I went back to the track, I still enjoyed it.
It may not have been Kim on vocals and bass, but it still sounded like it did.
It sounded like they took the feel of debaser, slowed it down, and poured it thru a Trompe Le Monde filter. In other words, it sound like a pixies song that picked up after 1991.
It may not be the original line up, but it was a great emulation of that sound.
Maybe I'm just conceding and compromising in the light of Kim leaving, but if the vibe if the Pixies can continue, then I'm a happy fan.

I'll keep my cynicism at hand for a full sans-Kim album, but for now I'm going to enjoy the new material.
Listen, we had about a decade of a reunion, that was great, it didn't evolve into a new album, that was crap, but fuck, at least the ethos of the Pixies still continues.

And for the record, if a new line up of the pixies was to tour, I would not like to hear a different vocalist doing Gigantic, that would suck.

+ / " @ * ~ ¦ ¬ . , |
Go to Top of Page

ChienAndalou22
- FB Fan -

58 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  14:15:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What backs up the whole announcement tomorrow thing is the Pixies website leading only to Bagboy embedded and a download link. They're going to have to change it soon, and there's a fair chance whatever's possibly being announced could be what it's going to be changed to.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  15:05:16  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From the Rolling Stone article on Bagboy:

"Who's on bass? Jeremy Dubs, a western Massaschusetts musician who performs occasionally with Black Francis. Santiago, Lovering and Dubs sing backing vocals on the track."

Interesting considering the backing female vocal sure doesn't sound like her name is Jeremy...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/pixies-release-bagboy-first-new-song-in-nine-years-20130628#ixzz2XkcQd8ht

Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  15:22:30  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

From the Rolling Stone article on Bagboy:

"Who's on bass? Jeremy Dubs, a western Massaschusetts musician who performs occasionally with Black Francis. Santiago, Lovering and Dubs sing backing vocals on the track."

Interesting considering the backing female vocal sure doesn't sound like her name is Jeremy...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/pixies-release-bagboy-first-new-song-in-nine-years-20130628#ixzz2XkcQd8ht

The bass is played by Ding.

Bf
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  15:23:00  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i just don't get it. i saw a picture of kim in dublin with violet. i hear her on the track (how can anyone say it doesn't sound like her? yet i'm in the minority), but she's not on it? i'm to believe it's a guy doing an impeccable kim deal impersonation? i call bullshit.

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  15:30:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gawking through Twitter the backing vocal is Dub's, taken from the demo. Don't see why it really matters - it sounds great.
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  15:57:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think people have missed the point of the song. It is fing hilarious in a good way and the song is good. I'm satisfied.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  16:27:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matto

I guess I'll be annoying and ask if there will be a physical release... esp. on vinyl.

Also: we had a baby last week, our first. How happy am I, and to boot there's this going on? Heart's full.

Congrats man, enjoy the ride.

So Ding on Bass, Dubs/Lovering/Santiago on backing vocals?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  18:44:43  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by s_wrenn
And for the record, if a new line up of the pixies was to tour, I would not like to hear a different vocalist doing Gigantic, that would suck.

Totally not interested in a Pixies tour w/o Kim.

Edited by - pot on 06/30/2013 18:59:56
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  18:58:54  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blckfrncs
The bass is played by Ding.

Bf

No shortage of bassists for this album then? By my count that's up to about 5 you have now. It must be a really bassy album lol

I'm guessing Ding's part of the shouty bits too then. I was going to say earlier that reminded me a bit of the vocal arrangement on the Bluefinger tour.

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Tenner this thread reaches 7 pages by Monday.

Alright, Cough up. You all owe me ten quid.

Now I can afford to buy the Minotaur box set.

Edited by - pot on 06/30/2013 18:59:25
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000