Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  18:51:12  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From what I recall way back in the 1980s most of the early Pixies songs took of from the start. This is gurge
Go to Top of Page

Classic Masher
- FB Fan -

146 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  18:51:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blckfrncs

quote:
Originally posted by Classic Masher

So good! I would've started off with "Classic Masher" (of course) which I think could be as big as "Here Comes Your Man" for the Pixies. But still, it sounds like the Pixies. Thought sure that was Kim singing.

I can't imagine there won't be an album. Why release only one song (and this one? Which is good but not as Pixies-ish as the others we've heard him play live solo)? Also, I don't think they'd have a video and all new art and logos for one song. "Bam Thwok" only got a shot of the band as it's "cover". Maybe they're making videos for every song and releasing it as a film not an album? Charles did say the song was originally written for a film that never got off the ground...

"Next message is from Suriname, please authenticate..."

MIXED MESSAGES FROM SIR NAFF / PLEASE AUTHENTICATE

(FYI)

Bf

FIXED

Charles- I'm sure you aren't allowed to say if there will be a new album or not yet. But could you at least tell us if we will hear more from the Pixies?

"Mixed messages from Sir Naff, please authenticate..."
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  18:53:00  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How is he not allowed to say? It's his album, he can say what he likes about it. The reason it's all so elusive is down to him.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  18:57:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by windupbird

I like this new song. I just like that you never know exactly what to expect, musically, lyrically... Also, it reminds me of when the reunion thing happened - it feels like: OK, there's a new song, the world hasn't exploded, we are all adjusting to the fact, now everything is fine so hey, I guess it's ok to make some music. Cool.

Very well put. Hope they keep it going this time.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  19:07:44  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  21:38:29  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

How is he not allowed to say? It's his album, he can say what he likes about it. The reason it's all so elusive is down to him.

It's a bit more complicated than that. Whether you're working with a label or a promotion team for your own label, there is a careful timeline for these things.
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  23:47:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixiestu

quote:
Originally posted by Homers_pet_monkey

Aw man, this is the best. I'm so glad we're all back together and stuff.

I'd walk her everyday, into a shady place

Hey Mike, where have you been!?

"The arc of triumph"

Hi Stu - getting married, addicted to an online football manager game, playing a lot more football in real life, gym - various stuff that took me away.

Nothing like a new Pixies song to bring me back though.

How are you? What's been going down around here?

Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  00:12:12  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
christ, bit of new pixies shakes off the cobwebs.
good times.

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  04:49:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blckfrncs

quote:
Originally posted by Classic Masher

So good! I would've started off with "Classic Masher" (of course) which I think could be as big as "Here Comes Your Man" for the Pixies. But still, it sounds like the Pixies. Thought sure that was Kim singing.

I can't imagine there won't be an album. Why release only one song (and this one? Which is good but not as Pixies-ish as the others we've heard him play live solo)? Also, I don't think they'd have a video and all new art and logos for one song. "Bam Thwok" only got a shot of the band as it's "cover". Maybe they're making videos for every song and releasing it as a film not an album? Charles did say the song was originally written for a film that never got off the ground...

"Next message is from Suriname, please authenticate..."

MIXED MESSAGES FROM SIR NAFF / PLEASE AUTHENTICATE

(FYI)

Bf

Is that a hint as to what's coming next?

I wonder if this project will result in a series of EPs? We know Bagboy is only the beginning, and with the confirmation there's no album, they've got to come out in some manner. I'm an impatient person so the news of 'no new album' isn't entirely met with open arms, but I'm along for the ride regardless. Gimme Greens and Blues.

Joey's guitar in Bagboy is more demented than ever. The first time it comes on... unbelievable. And 2:54 - 2:59.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  05:14:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pixiestu

quote:

Aw man, this is the best. I'm so glad we're all back together and stuff.

Hey Mike, where have you been!?

"The arc of triumph"

Hi Stu - getting married, addicted to an online football manager game, playing a lot more football in real life, gym - various stuff that took me away.

Nothing like a new Pixies song to bring me back though.

How are you? What's been going down around here?

Stu won the FA Cup for starters. Nice to see you. You still on the trains?

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  05:23:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi tro - yep still on the trains.

I forgot about that - belated congratulations Stu. I hope your next visit to Wembley is not a happy one though.

Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  05:24:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Goodness me, where did you lot spring from? Hope all is well folks.
Go to Top of Page

brickisred
- FB Fan -

France
141 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  06:30:36  Show Profile  Visit brickisred's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Some French sites are announcing two dates in Paris, September 29 and 30, at the Olympia, where "new songs" would be played.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  08:13:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe they'll debut the rest of the new songs there and stream it online to everyone.
Go to Top of Page

boner machine
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  08:14:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
am i wrong for expecting this to actually sound like the pixies?
when i first heard it i felt like my dog just died. then i came here and read the comments about it sounding like it came from svn fngrs, and yeah thinking of it like that it's alright, but as a pixies song?

just my opinion btw, just burn my house down :)
Go to Top of Page

brickisred
- FB Fan -

France
141 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  08:33:05  Show Profile  Visit brickisred's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Well, did Doolittle sound like the Pixies when it came out? Bossanova? Trompe Le Monde?

People tend to forget that the Pixies always evolved.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  08:34:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bands evolve. People would still be moaning if it was a retread of Doolittle. I can hear bits of BF solo, The Seus, but there's still a lot of Pixies in there like Joey's fucking sublime guitar and Black's "bagboy!!!" yelp which reminds me of Manta Ray. Then there's the electronic stuff which surprised me at first but it sounds good.

Long live Charles Thompson.
Go to Top of Page

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  08:35:22  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This sounds a lot to me like the latter-day Black Francis solo stuff, like Virginia Reel and the Seus especially. I prefer it when Charles is singing not art-talking but the chorus here is pure Pixies hey-day, and really starting to grow on me (five listens later, the shock of the new wearing off...)
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  09:05:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I forgot about that - belated congratulations Stu. I hope your next visit to Wembley is not a happy one though.

what's up homers? why did you leave me?

green star member since 2006. smb?
Go to Top of Page

ChienAndalou22
- FB Fan -

58 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  09:16:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thinking that if there is an announcement on monday it'll most likely be for a new album with the band publicist bluffing and not wanting to make its announcement a sort of anti-climax, and if it isn't they might release the songs up on BMI individually with different people collaborating like Jeremy Dubs has for Bagboy.
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  09:16:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bagboy definitely sounds like an organic progression from BF's recent solo records, which only makes sense. I'm assuming those songs came as naturally* to him as the Pixies material did back in the day.

*slight caveat: 'naturally' may be a disrespect to BF's craft. I know he works hard, but the material doesn't sound forced**.

**to me.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  09:18:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me, I'm good at avoiding the sky-high, often insurmountable, expectations that some people have for things like this. Some people want a song that sounds like 22 years of pent-up expression unleashed. They want something that takes them back to the past, but sounds comfortable in the present. They want the "new Pixies masterpiece" that they've been imagining, in abstract terms, in their own head for years and years.

Some of them just want something to complain about because they get just as much, or more, pleasure out of that as they do about enjoying something.

Me, I just want a cool rock song. I'm not looking for music to save my life. I'm not looking for a legacy to be preserved. I'll just take a cool rock song. That's it. And this song passes that test for me. I like the Fall comparison that some have made. I also hear some Stooges in there (and, of course, Black Francis's own weirdness). I like the song's drive and I like Frank's carnival barker vocals. If I had never heard of Frank or the Pixies in my life, I think this would still pique my interest. It's a weird song with weird lyrics and a sense of humor.

I have no argument with anyone else's opinion here, by the way (I NEVER argue over opinion--not in a serious way, at least). I think everyone here is perfectly sincere, whether they like the song or not. And I'm being sincere with my opinion, too.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  09:32:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floop

quote:

Nobody waits 6 days for a call.

brickisred
- FB Fan -

France
141 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  09:35:13  Show Profile  Visit brickisred's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Don't take it as an argument Jason but... I like your post very much.
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  09:43:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, great post, Jason. You're so right about years of pent of expectation, etc.

I can't wait until the rest of the songs are released, especially the poppier numbers. I wonder if they'll make a difference? At the same time, it was inspired to lead with something weirder: it was a clear indication this 'reunion' isn't shying away from what made the Pixies stand out. This isn't "Zeitgeist".

Go to Top of Page

s_wrenn
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1851 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  09:47:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I just wanted to jump back on here to say, regardless of whether it's Kim or Violet on the track, I really like it!
I know people will bemoan every little facet of the song because of their expectations and nostalgia, but come on, it's a good track! Well, at least It gave this sentimental Pixies fan a smile.

+ / " @ * ~ ¦ ¬ . , |
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
912 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  09:49:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the production is quite good and the addition of some electronic elements worked very well. I love when the drums really kick in around 4:05.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  09:53:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i like Jason's post too, though i would take argument with it (even though Jason doesn't argue). it's a bit extreme to suggest that everyone else is expecting some kind mind blowing song that will save their life. with Jason it almost sounds like he's lowered his expectations. or, is ok with just a "cool rock song". i agree that it would be unrealistic to expect it to sound like the Pixies 22 years ago. but there is some middle ground between mind blowing and "it's good enough"

for me, if they are going to release a new album i'm going to compare it to their past work. how can i not?

maybe with other music just a cool rock song would be good enough for me .. some song on the radio that i'll enjoy for what it is. but with Pixies it's different.

does that mean if i'm disappointed i'm going to sink into a deep depression or put out a youtube video of me crying? no. but i'm going to honest about it however it comes out. i still look forward to the new album, but admittedly with trepidation

i know, i'm no fun

[edit] as an aside, the video was directed by these guys, if anyone is curious. hadn't heard of em but was curious

http://www.lamarplusnik.com/index.html

Edited by - floop on 06/29/2013 10:02:57
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  09:55:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

quote:

quote:

Nobody waits 6 days for a call.

heh

Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  10:02:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by s_wrenn

but come on, it's a good track! Well, at least It gave this sentimental Pixies fan a smile.

+ / " @ * ~ ¦ ¬ . , |

Best post so far. Hi sean.

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  10:14:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

quote:
Originally posted by s_wrenn

but come on, it's a good track! Well, at least It gave this sentimental Pixies fan a smile.

+ / " @ * ~ ¦ ¬ . , |

Best post so far. Hi sean.

i give it 6 out of 10

Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  10:21:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

i like Jason's post too, though i would take argument with it (even though Jason doesn't argue). it's a bit extreme to suggest that everyone else is expecting some kind mind blowing song that will save their life. with Jason it almost sounds like he's lowered his expectations. or, is ok with just a "cool rock song". i agree that it would be unrealistic to expect it to sound like the Pixies 22 years ago. but there is some middle ground between that and "it's good enough"

for me, if they are going to release a new song or album i'm going to compare it to their past work. how can i not?

maybe with other music "a cool rock song" would be good enough for me.. some song on the radio that i'll enjoy for what it is. but with Pixies i think it's different.

does that mean if i'm disappointed i'm going to sink into a deep depression or put out a youtube video of me crying? no. but i'm going to honest about it however it comes out. i still look forward to the new album, but admittedly with trepidation

i know, i'm no fun

I don't get into "that song sucks!" vs. "that song rules!" type of arguments, but I'm always (or often... or sometimes... or once every three months, at least) up for some more meaty discussion.

And I'll add that I don't think that anyone on Earth who doesn't like this song does so because of unrealistic expectations. I'll also add that I come with my own bias, which is that I really like Frank's music, all phases of it.
Go to Top of Page

s_wrenn
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1851 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  10:23:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, thank you Tro!
And I thought I would have done better than 6 Floop! I removed 2 paragraphs of smiley's from that post, for a 6?

+ / " @ * ~ ¦ ¬ . , |
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  10:40:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

quote:

i like Jason's post too, though i would take argument with it (even though Jason doesn't argue). it's a bit extreme to suggest that everyone else is expecting some kind mind blowing song that will save their life. with Jason it almost sounds like he's lowered his expectations. or, is ok with just a "cool rock song". i agree that it would be unrealistic to expect it to sound like the Pixies 22 years ago. but there is some middle ground between that and "it's good enough"

for me, if they are going to release a new song or album i'm going to compare it to their past work. how can i not?

maybe with other music "a cool rock song" would be good enough for me.. some song on the radio that i'll enjoy for what it is. but with Pixies i think it's different.

i know, i'm no fun

I don't get into "that song sucks!" vs. "that song rules!" type of arguments, but I'm always (or often... or sometimes... or once every three months, at least) up for some more meaty discussion.

And I'll add that I don't think that anyone on Earth who doesn't like this song does so because of unrealistic expectations. I'll also add that I come with my own bias, which is that I really like Frank's music, all phases of it.

that was the point i thought i was trying to make. it's not a simple matter of it sucks or rules. in any case, i think it's growing on me

with all due respect jason you often say i don't argue opinion etc yet you often follow that up with an opinionated argument. are you from the midwest?

Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  12:45:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

I think the production is quite good and the addition of some electronic elements worked very well. I love when the drums really kick in around 4:05.

Completely agree. And that's probably my favourite part of the song. It's such a rush to hear them drums thundering away again!

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000